Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A cousin of mine has named her son Ferdiadh.

She's from Ardee Co. Louth. The battle place of CuCullain and Ferdia.

It's not right to saddle a child with such an obscure name

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

There were two sisters in my school called Asumpta and Concepta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

She's from Ardee Co. Louth. The battle place of CuCullain and Ferdia.

It's not right to saddle a child with such an obscure name

Its not that obscure , I knew two or three Ferdias when I was young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What's your name?

Ferdia... with a ''dh''

Welcome aboard, Dh'Ferdia

Omackeral wrote: »
    What's your name?

Ferdia... with a ''dh''

Welcome aboard, Dh'Ferdia

Why would he have to spell his name if he is just asked his name ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

janfebmar wrote: »
    Any Irish language name nobody can pronounce and spell, where the unlucky recipient will spend a lifetime explaining the spelling to others.

Siobhan is another name, it always reminds me of shove-on your knickers, the teacher is coming. And eamin'....aiming for what?

Give me a Sadhbh or a Meadhbh any day over a Belle, Ella, Emma etc...

Its a strange phenomenon that some Irish people seem to struggle with Irish names yet will happily try to pronounce Polish or Lithuanian names . We are not unique in have old names that might be difficult for others .
    I have an old Irish name and lived in Germany and had no problems at all , people listened and made a good effort to pronounce it and usually managed well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Actual suggestions on a post looking for name ideas in a UK/Irish group for women.
    I love when these threads pop up cause there's usually some very eccentric, colourful suggestion. There is a recurring theme of random spellings and excessive hyphens in most of the contributions.
    The boys always get away lightly, the girl suggestions are way more unique and out there.

Kc-Louize
    Lily-Queenie (for a little queen, obviously)
    Alonnagh
    Bianca-Chanel
    Skyla-Sky
    Aruzielle
    Renesmee (stolen from the Twilight series)
    Paddy-Mai

Jagger
    Madox
    Ransom
    Sonny-Jake
    Breighden
    Ace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

None of these people should be allowed reproduce. The human race is doomed.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its a strange phenomenon that some Irish people seem to struggle with Irish names yet will happily try to pronounce Polish or Lithuanian names . We are not unique in have old names that might be difficult for others .
    I have an old Irish name and lived in Germany and had no problems at all , people listened and made a good effort to pronounce it and usually managed well

Its Cultural Cringe, a form of cultural or national self loathing. You can see it all over this thread. Seem like some people associate anything remotely 'Irish' as inherently backward and basically 'wrong'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Alonnagh

Alonnagh-gain, naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I’m sorry but Paddy-Mai has me cracking up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Goretti is another one.

The missus took that for her confirmation name (under pressure from the nuns, or so she claims!) - seemingly Saint Maria Goretti was a young girl who was murdered by a man for resisting his lewd advances. She died a virgin, although I don't know how that made her eligible to be a saint. I can understand why the nuns tried to foist it onto impressionable young girls under their tutelage!

The missus took that for her confirmation name (under pressure from the nuns, or so she claims!) - seemingly Saint Maria Goretti was a young girl who was murdered by a man for resisting his lewd advances. She died a virgin, although I don't know how that made her eligible to be a saint. I can understand why the nuns tried to foist it onto impressionable young girls under their tutelage!

We had a picture of Maria Goretti on the landing when we were kids . She was one of those pictures who’s eyes follow you and her mouth seemed to move
    I would sneak past her going upstairs and hope she wouldn’t follow me . She petrified me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Oooh! Matron.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

Remember the 'good' nuns hammering that story into us alright. Better to die a virgin, fighting for your life than 'allow' yourself to be defiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Cyra and Levi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

"Harlem"

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    "Harlem"

I'm praying the middle name is Globe and the surname is Trotter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    "Harlem"

Probably that's where he was conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 antipuker

Part of the surname clan:
    HUDSON

Oh cry me a river!

antipuker wrote: »
    Part of the surname clan:
    HUDSON

Oh cry me a river!

I doubt the people who chose that name even know it's the name of a river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hudson was the butler in Upstairs, Downstairs

branie2 wrote: »
    Hudson was the butler in Upstairs, Downstairs

Angus Hudson , it was his surname

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

I heard a man repeatedly call his daughter Peppa in a playground a few years back. I thought it was a jokey nickname the first time he said it but he continued to use it the whole time so maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

I reckon it's alright to have an interesting first name if you don't have an Irish sounding surname (Mc or O'). Because it sounds weird when you say the Irish surname together with the interesting first name.

But I don't get the hate on this thread for Irish first names, like Sadhbh. It's just typical of the self loathing we have in this country.

Maybe that's why all those parents gave their children exotic sounding names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

jcorr wrote: »
    I reckon it's alright to have an interesting first name if you don't have an Irish sounding surname (Mc or O'). Because it sounds weird when you say the Irish surname together with the interesting first name.

But I don't get the hate on this thread for Irish first names, like Sadhbh. It's just typical of the self loathing we have in this country.

Maybe that's why all those parents gave their children exotic sounding names.

I think the pronunciation of Sadhbh (Sive) is beautiful as with other Irish names but even as someone who learned Irish, I find the spelling/sight of the name when written really off putting (just my opinion). Not a loather of Ireland or Irish culture! It's just all the consonants bundled together, it's tough going.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They're in denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

They're in denial.

Lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

maxsmum wrote: »
    I think the pronunciation of Sadhbh (Sive) is beautiful as with other Irish names but even as someone who learned Irish, I find the spelling/sight of the name when written really off putting (just my opinion). Not a loather of Ireland or Irish culture! It's just all the consonants bundled together, it's tough going.

As a Non-Irish I don't have the slightest clue how to pronounce this.
    Everything that spells grossly different than is it pronounced (not hating on Irish here) automatically puts me off because I genuinely struggle to make out what it means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

All of my kids have older Irish names (as gaeilge) . I live in Canada and people haven't a clue how to pronounce them...except their buddies in schools. it's the adults that are clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Could've been big Aliens fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

maxsmum wrote: »
    The "h" functions as a diacritic/accent, indicating the modified sound ("lenition") of the preceding letter.
    It's hardly alien to English speakers with its large number of words like night, dough, or shop, photo, etc.

In many cases the modified sound will be the equivalent of an English "y" or "w", and just like them can, after a vowel, create a long vowel or diphthong sound. E.g. English: toy, layer, low, tower; Irish: nigh, gadhar, domhan, leabhar.

In the Irish script a dot is used for the same purpose: Saḋḃ. it looks a bit neater and not as intimidating to those unfamiliar with Irish orthography, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

All of my kids have older Irish names (as gaeilge) . I live in Canada and people haven't a clue how to pronounce them...except their buddies in schools. it's the adults that are clueless.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks anything

Woman on the front of the paper complaining about the Government. Her kid is called Maddix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Give me a Sadhbh or a Meadhbh any day over a Belle, Ella, Emma etc...

I worked with an Aoife in a call centre in the North of England for many years, and every day she had to correct people (mispronouncing her name) on the phone, and also with callers I transferred from my phone to hers.

Aoffi, Affi, Oofi, Ooefi ...... never a day went past whereby callers got confused by her name, so I can only imaging that Sadhdh or Meadhbh would give most people (outside of Ireland) a nosebleed trying to desypher the correct Gaelic pronunciation!

I personally like names that travel, so that if my kids end up in England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or the USA, or anywhere else for that matter, English speaking people will be able to pronounce their names. I don't want them to have a stigma for life about their names, but that's just me.
    Give me Bella, Emma or Tara, or Amelia anyday, over .....

I say all this in the context of travel.

I worked with an Aoife in a call centre in the North of England for many years, and every day she had to correct people (mispronouncing her name) on the phone, and also with callers I transferred from my phone to hers.

Aoffi, Affi, Oofi, Ooefi ......

If you spell Aoife backwards it looks like it might sound like the way it's said. Efioa. I could get an ''eefa'' sound out of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Was in Eddie Rockets in Liffey Valley with the kids yesterday and the kid in the booth behind us was called Jenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

I worked in childcare for a couple of years and some of the names I came across included:

Chardonnay, Princess Kathleen, Shakira

Coco, Kai, Bodhi, Harrison, Hudson, Hamish

I worked in childcare for a couple of years and some of the names I came across included:

Chardonnay, Princess Kathleen, Shakira

Coco, Kai, Bodhi, Harrison, Hudson, Hamish

Are you sure Princess Kathleen wasn't a cat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

Are you sure Princess Kathleen wasn't a cat?

Haha, unfortunately no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I was teaching an English class a few weeks ago with mostly Saudi and Japanese students. One of the things we were working on included a piece with a girl named Clodagh. I asked them to try say it but they couldn't. I then wrote Niamh, Aoife, Siobhan, Somhairle and Tadgh on the board to see if they could do them either.

Not a scooby. I then used that to explain how I screw their names up.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Witchie wrote: »
    I was teaching an English class a few weeks ago with mostly Saudi and Japanese students. One of the things we were working on included a piece with a girl named Clodagh. I asked them to try say it but they couldn't. I then wrote Niamh, Aoife, Siobhan, Somhairle and Tadgh on the board to see if they could do them either.

Not a scooby. I then used that to explain how I screw their names up.

That's a new one for me and I don't think I'd be able to pronounce it right either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

Lol yeah because we'd be able to figure out little عائشة‎ or 向日葵 names.
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's a new one for me and I don't think I'd be able to pronounce it right either!

Sorley I believe. Boys name. Not seen it in a long time!

I asked them to try say it but they couldn't. I then wrote Niamh, Aoife, Siobhan, Somhairle and Tadgh on the board to see if they could do them either.

Ok that's just made up.

Ok that's just made up.

Lol. Nope! One of my good friends has a wee boy called Somhairle and the Director of my local arts council is also called Somhairle. It is pronounced
    sorel-ye.

Lol. Nope! One of my good friends has a wee boy called Somhairle and the Director of my local arts council is also called Somhairle. It is pronounced
    sorel-ye.

I knew two Somhairles growing up .

Jeevan. F*cking Jeevan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

Ok that's just made up.

Tis pretty old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clann_Somhairle

• Advertisement

Jeevan. F*cking Jeevan.

It's a very popular name where I live.... but then again am currently living in India.

Advertisement