Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I am curious how that twenty years in a psychiatric hospital would go. Are they let out early for any reason?

Also, I might prefer the prison tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

From the Independent.ie business section
    "This (MeToo) is being weaponised against us, so women have to hire each other.

"We have to have more women at the top, it's vital we use our money to support female businesses."
    And she's currently hiring an all-woman team for I Weigh - a company with a "body neutrality" emphasis, building activism and "allyships" with tailored content and ethical products.
    "My business will support a lot of female businesses, especially women of colour."

The Simmons Leadership Conference will take place tomorrow and Wednesday, and features international female leaders of prominence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

iptba wrote: »
    From the Independent.ie business section

Lol so I guess its getting to be ok to hire only one gender :P. I don't quite get how metoo has been weaponized against them unless there is fallout in the industry im not aware of.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lol so I guess its getting to be ok to hire only one gender :P. I don't quite get how metoo has been weaponized against them unless there is fallout in the industry im not aware of.

It's the fear that the metoo movement has generated. The reluctance of male managers/bosses to be alone with a female colleague (which is perfectly justified IMO). Hardly a weapon being used against them though. More the unexpected (because they're unwilling to use common sense) result of their own behavior.

(Minor point)
    Interesting to me how it seems acceptable for a leader of a national party in the UK to call themselves a feminist in a short description:
    Jo Swinson
    @joswinson
    Leader of @LibDems and PPC for East Dunbartonshire. Remainer. Runner. Feminist. Author of Equal Power. Constituents please contact: jo.swinson.mp@parliament.uk
    https://twitter.com/joswinson

• Advertisement

It's the fear that the metoo movement has generated. The reluctance of male managers/bosses to be alone with a female colleague (which is perfectly justified IMO). Hardly a weapon being used against them though. More the unexpected (because they're unwilling to use common sense) result of their own behavior.

I personally would be very reluctant to take the risk or hiring a female staff member without having a panel to interview.

I also understand why men are not hiring women as all it takes is one person's word to ruin a career. The legacy of the metoo era is the hashtag webelieveher and as such it means you don't believe what the man says.

I can understand an appreciate that there have been times when men have taken the piss and used power to really take advantage but in allot of cases those days are gone.

Home truths: Women! Let him have a man cave if you truly want peace
    Women whose men are "caveless" at their behest should beware. A man without his one space (a cave if you must insist) is lesser equipped for solving life's problems, for maintaining a contented mindset and, concurrently, a happy relationship.
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/home-truths-women-let-him-have-a-man-cave-if-you-truly-want-peace-38649913.html
    A purpose-designed indoor male realm is now referred to as a 'man cave'. Like man flu, mansplaining and manterrupting, the term finds itself slotted among the recently conjured derogatory 'manterms' - newly minted verbal coinage of an agenda from quarters that seek to assault traditional aspects of masculinity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

(Minor point)
    Interesting to me how it seems acceptable for a leader of a national party in the UK to call themselves a feminist in a short description:

https://twitter.com/joswinson

I would have thought any rat race politician or media person these days that doesn't describe themselves as one is screwed.

high_king wrote: »
    I would have thought any rat race politician or media person these days that doesn't describe themselves as one is screwed.
    I remember in the Irish presidential election, when 6 of the candidates were asked were they a feminist, 5 said they were. However I see that as a bit different to saying so without prompt in a short description.

• Advertisement

Just a random tweet I came across on Twitter. I just don't tend to see equivalent calls when there is a lower percentage of males in an area.
    https://twitter.com/sewell7/status/1192025920678301698?s=11

I remember in the Irish presidential election, when 6 of the candidates were asked were they a feminist, 5 said they were. However I see that as a bit different to saying so without prompt in a short description.

I would have thought it is important to announce every 5 mins that you are a "feminist" for anyone who wants control and power these days.

Just a random tweet I came across on Twitter. I just don't tend to see equivalent calls when there is a lower percentage of males in an area.
    https://twitter.com/sewell7/status/1192025920678301698?s=11

Imagine an add that said "No female teachers nurses or solicitors need think about applying we have enough"

Where's the adds saying we need more female refuse collectors and sewage workers and females in the dirty dangerous jobs no one wants to address the so called gender balance ? It's all about power and control, not equality at all.

(Not important)
    I thought I would highlight that being a trustee of a charity is an unpaid position. Well done to everyone who takes on such a role. It seems more men do it than women, in the UK at least.
    https://twitter.com/TrusteesWeek/status/930898234746310657

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

If you could be a hero for a day what would you do?

I have heard this sort of thing before; I don't recall hearing much of the equivalent in reverse e.g. fathers or mothers teaching their girls to respect men

I have heard this sort of thing before; I don't recall hearing much of the equivalent in reverse e.g. fathers or mothers teaching their girls to respect men

I think we should teach boys to respect themselves and know their value. Times have changed with the movements towards soft skills in the workplace, and the advancement of technology.

No man really needs to 'respect' or 'nurture' half the population anymore.

On another note, here's a nice article about female on male violence. Not necesarily sexist, besides a few of the comments, but it is interesting as this is quite common in Thailand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7290337/Woman-seduces-ex-husband-cuts-genitals-flushes-toilet.html#comments

Edit: It's in China. I will leave it up, but isn't actually relevant to be honest.

It's similar to the movement that would like it made compulsory that all young males in secondary school go through a "don't sexually harass women" mind re-programming course.

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

Really, not many hashtags to report on but considering there are a number of Twitter ads, I thought I might post now, so the post doesn't get too long.

International Day of the Girl
    #DayoftheGirl

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/aigireland/status/1187390862453542913?s=11

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/aigireland/status/1191294064089608195?s=11

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/aigireland/status/1191739885956284416?s=11

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/threeireland/status/1191359382212292608?s=11

#Movember

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/Pfizer_Ireland/status/1194925947507691520?s=20

• Advertisement

Two-thirds of men in Ireland are overweight or obese, report finds
    Health survey shows only 34% of men in Ireland aged from 25 to 34 at normal weight
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/two-thirds-of-men-in-ireland-are-overweight-or-obese-report-finds-1.4089369

This uses BMI: it is possible to be classified as overweight or even obese but have a fairly low body fat percentage, if one is very muscular.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That's true. But it's really only true for a very small part of the population (i.e. those who have made a concerted effort to gain muscle mass).

For the vast majority of the population, BMI is a useful metric. It's not perfect but, in general it holds true which is all it needs to do from a statistical point of view. Those for whom BMI doesn't work, we don't particularly need to worry about in relation to obesity: individuals with that level of muscle mass haven't developed it accidentally and are already acutely aware of their health in relation to body fat levels at least.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/two-thirds-of-men-in-ireland-are-overweight-or-obese-report-finds-1.4089369

This uses BMI: it is possible to be classified as overweight or even obese but have a fairly low body fat percentage, if one is very muscular.

I honestly blame sugar, stress, and sedentry living. I've been stressed before and I would immediately go for the sugar high fat items, but now I have turned full hippy and I go for the herbal teas. India seems to be pretty good, imo, as a lot of the spices curb sugar cravings, and if there's chilli it will wake you up a little bit.

I can see how it could be seen as sexist as it doesn't mention women, but male obesity (more overweight imo) is quite a big deal.

Edit: I'd try the Men's Tea by yogi. I wouldn't feel embaressed as I do think there are a small amount of biological/sociol differences in how men cope with stress and various issues.

I probably should clarify I post various items to this thread, many of which might be better described as posts about men's issues rather than men's rights posts. More men do need to be concerned about their health and being overweight/obese, particularly as the cardiovascular effects tend to hit men earlier than women.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

I probably should clarify I post various items to this thread, many of which might be better described as posts about men's issues rather than men's rights posts. More men do need to be concerned about their health and being overweight/obese, particularly as the cardiovascular effects tend to hit men earlier than women.

Were consuming way too many carbohydrates......controlling carb intake is much more important than fat intake.

(Not important)
    https://www.independent.ie/style/voices/barbara-mccarthy-we-need-to-mind-our-pees-and-queues-for-women-38715397.html
    When I used to go to Electric Picnic, for example, I'd use the loos in the VIP area because they were slightly more palatable than those in the main area - but only sometimes.

When things got busy, the queue for the female trailer containing four or five cubicles was massive. The men also had one trailer, but there was never a queue because biology allowed men to relieve themselves in a field whenever they wanted.

Needless to say, I happily used the men's loos
    When I was at the Rolling Stones concert in Croke Park, the women were queuing in the men's toilets, such was the demand."

I don't think it's great that if there are urinals it seems to be reasonably acceptable for some women do this.

(Not important)
    https://www.independent.ie/style/voices/barbara-mccarthy-we-need-to-mind-our-pees-and-queues-for-women-38715397.html

I don't think it's great that if there are urinals it seems to be reasonably acceptable for some women do this.

I was at a bar in Australia recently... The male toilet had a single urinal. The Female toilet had four cubicles. Now.. that's wonderful logic to consider when you're dying to go for a dump.

(I used the female toilet - but I was terrified the whole time I'd be caught. I'm a 42 yr male. Utterly bizarre)

I was at a bar in Australia recently... The male toilet had a single urinal. The Female toilet had four cubicles. Now.. that's wonderful logic to consider when you're dying to go for a dump.

(I used the female toilet - but I was terrified the whole time I'd be caught. I'm a 42 yr male. Utterly bizarre)

That is crazy, however one of the reason's i am against uni-sex toilets is a dont want them to remove urinals. Like if i just need a slash then the urinal is great like a big smelly trough that is fast.

As for your predicament i assume they expect the men to **** in the corner lol.

Calhoun wrote: »
    That is crazy, however one of the reason's i am against uni-sex toilets is a dont want them to remove urinals. Like if i just need a slash then the urinal is great like a big smelly trough that is fast.

TBH after living in Asia for so long, I can definitely see why squat toilets are better from a hygiene and practical pov. A toilet seat used by many people will carry over a serious amount of germs, and possible skin diseases.

I'm not against uni-sex toilets exactly... I'm just not terribly confident that men and women really want to hear each other sh1t. Eating habits tend to be vastly different with men typically eating far more, and so, their sh1ts are likely to be noisier/smellier. A massive generalisation but still. ;)

• Advertisement

TBH after living in Asia for so long, I can definitely see why squat toilets are better from a hygiene and practical pov. A toilet seat used by many people will carry over a serious amount of germs, and possible skin diseases.

I'm not against uni-sex toilets exactly... I'm just not terribly confident that men and women really want to hear each other sh1t. Eating habits tend to be vastly different with men typically eating far more, and so, their sh1ts are likely to be noisier/smellier. A massive generalisation but still. ;)

I seen something on reddit recently that summed this up, it was in the r/karen joke sub. Basically some woman put a drop of period blood on the floor in a unisex bathroom to basically one up the men.

A guy responded with piss all over the seat and implying you dont want to play this game lol.

Advertisement