Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goals for 2018?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

5k - 19:30 (PB of 19:55)
    5mile - sub 33mins (PB of 35:13)
    HM - 1hr 35mins (PB of 1hr 39mins)

5k - equalled my PB and ran a few in and around that time but no lower. Didn't do any 5k specific training...maybe next year
    5 mile - I only ran one, 33:55, a PB but not quite what I wanted
    HM - ran a PB in February, 1hr38min52sec. Only tried one more in September, fell apart in the 2nd half and pretty much summed up the last 3rd of the year for me - lower mileage and unmotivated.

I took part in the Belfast 24 at the end of June as a member of a relay team - (2hrs on / 6hrs off) x 3. This wasn't part of the plan for the year - I filled in for someone who had to pull out due to injury about a month out so I had very little prep time. I managed 41 miles in the 6 hrs and really enjoyed the experience but I think I paid for it in the latter part of the year as I didn't give myself enough/any recovery time (July was my mileage peak of the year).
    I've had a good rest this month and looking forward to getting into some structured training in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'll unashamedly rob the idea.

- Run 220 km in a 24 hrs race in 2018, venue TBD.

Only one goal. It worked in 2014. Nothing else matters, indeed.

I wasn't even going to open the thread ever again. Ah, what the hell.

Nope, didn't get it. In fact, worlds away and not even close, and realistically it was never on the cards.

Goal for 2019 is to age gracefully and not slow down by much more, I guess :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Zebra3 wrote: »
    1) Qualify for Boston.

2) Do a 60km.

Didn’t do either, but....

Took marathon PB from 3:29:04 to 3:17:31.

And learned a lot, a hell of a lot this year.

Will have run over 2,100km and 170 hours by year’s end.

Left the 60km to the side to focus on marathon PB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wrong thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭squinn2912

jamule wrote: »
    5k- hahaa. 17:52 and a 17:53, the only 2 decent races of the year.

Everything else was a fail. Head was a mess (4 funerals and a wedding withing 2 weeks). Ran plenty but racing got shelved, everytime I got to the pain bit , I just caved in. Mentally just not there.

Don’t sweat it lad those are great times. Sorry for your losses that’s a terrible run of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Make 12 people smile every day
    stop callin burds burds
    Get dat fockin monkey off me back
    Finish dat bikey/paddley/runny race
    Do few more Mountain runs
    Stay under 78kgs
    learn how to fix a puncture
    Do a OW swim race
    4 outta 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

skyblue46 wrote: »
    1. Sub 20 5k even if I have to wait until Jingle Bells
    2. Hopefully get through S&C in one piece, stay injury free and notice the benefits
    3. 1.35 for a half
    4. 1:09:59 for 10 miles
    5. Keep enjoying running as much as I have been.

Happy Christmas to all, hope ye have a ball :)

1. 19:25 and 19:12. The only 2 5k I raced. BHAA and Bob Heffernan.

2. It's not for me...well it's not for me in a gym environment. I'll try it at home just using bodyweight exercises.

3. 1:33:20 in my worst race of the year which included 2 bits of walking. It's my target distance for 2019 as a result.

4. 68:02 in Kilcock. More in the tank I'm sure.

5. I did, and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

healy1835 wrote: »
    Main goal is sub 3 Marathon in Rotterdam. PB 3:15:26

After that I reckon (hope) almost all of my PBs are there for the taking.

5k: Sub 18. Will actually have to run a 5k race for the first time to do this obviously, 18:58 PB from my solitary Parkrun in 2016.

5m: Sub 30. 30:55 PB from Raheny just gone. Reckon this is there for me right now, hopefully going to run Ferrycarraig 5 in the New Year and knock this off the list.

10k: Sub 37. Ran a 37:52 10k split in a 12k race a couple of weeks back. 37 seems the next logical step.

10m: Sub 62. Running Trim in Feb so will have a rattle there first. PB of 65:55 is pretty soft.

Half: Sub 1:24 Would hope to go lower but that's a number that hits a lot of targets for me. PB of 1:25:55 from Tullamore this year when I had an iffy enough day at office.

Whilst I re-evaluated a couple of goals mid year, it's always nice to look back at how original goals stacked up to performances.

5k: 18:58 >> 18:52

Sub 18 didn't happen. Tried to force it inbetween marathon blocks and ended up running a very disheartening 18:52. Ran an 18:17 split in Frank Duffy.....Not in too much of a hurry to run another 5k at the moment!

5 Mile: 30:55>>29:51

Didn't run Raheny or Ferrycarraig but went 29:59 in Army 5 Miler around Baldonnell on a horrendous day, and ran 29:51 in the Irish Runner 5 Mile the week after the aforementioned fluffed 5k. Ran a 29:07 5Mile tempo last week though :)

10k: No PB.

Didn't happen. Only one 10k in there where i ran 39:09 in a local 10k a couple of weeks into Rotterdam training block. Clocked a 37:15 10k split in Frank Duffy....I hope to fix this New Years Day :)

10 Mile: 65:55>>60:33

Posted a 62:27 in Trim In February and then a 60:33 at the Frank Duffy, which was a good day to be fair :)

Half Marathon: 1:25:55>>1:19:59

Overcame some shoelace malfunctions to squeak under 80mins. This was my highlight of the year, had to bite down and go for it over the last 5 miles when things were in the melting pot. I also ran a 1:22:33 time trial in the PP before Rotterdam.

Marathon: 3:15:26>>2:58:01

Rotterdam was a 3:14 dehydrated death shuffle....which was rescued by a 2:59:45 shot to nothing in Limerick 4 weeks later. 2:58 In Dublin was a little disappointing but still delighted to have gone sub 3 and PB'd again.

Will end up having ran just over 4500km. Will hope to maybe push this to 3000 Miles next year but that's not particularly a target. All in all a great year :) hopefully next year will be as kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Healy, that's a shocking 5k time!! Unless you're a diesel man of course. As for the 1.22.xx time trial, jeez that's impressive. The Half is a very good time and I'm sure the Full will come into line soon enough. You have a good attitude to training and recovery so with just another bit of experience and base you should do well.

Just don't listen to the "you'll smash it" merchants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Itziger wrote: »
    Healy, that's a shocking 5k time!! Unless you're a diesel man of course. As for the 1.22.xx time trial, jeez that's impressive. The Half is a very good time and I'm sure the Full will come into line soon enough. You have a good attitude to training and recovery so with just another bit of experience and base you should do well.

The 5k attempt was probably ill advised, i wasn't recovered after the two marathons. And by ill advised, I mean I took no advice. I checked out mentally about 1k in :o I was paced around the PP for the half time trial, so it wasn't solo as such. I just had to follow my really fast mate who lent a helping hand and jogged around with me. Looking forward to the new year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I’m a “you”ll smash it” merchant every now & then, it’s positive encouragement is it not? It’s no different to your 2.55 comment on TbL’s log earlier in the week? I’m not having a go with a contrary Cork man, just can’t see an issue with positive encouragement every now & then.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I’m a “you”ll smash it” merchant every now & then, it’s positive encouragement is it not? It’s no different to your 2.55 comment on TbL’s log earlier in the week? I’m not having a go with a contrary Cork man, just can’t see an issue with positive encouragement every now & then.

Ah, c'mere, that was a fooking ball hop, Sure the poor bugger can't do a lap of a GAA pitch at the mo.

healy1835 wrote: »
    The 5k attempt was probably ill advised, i wasn't recovered after the two marathons. And by ill advised, I mean I took no advice. I checked out mentally about 1k in :o I was paced around the PP for the half time trial, so it wasn't solo as such. I just had to follow my really fast mate who lent a helping hand and jogged around with me. Looking forward to the new year :)

Ah, paced in the TT. That makes it a bit more understandable. Still impressive though! You got target marathons for 2019?

Ah, c'mere, that was a fooking ball hop, Sure the poor bugger can't do a lap of a GAA pitch at the mo.

It was an honest question as I said, I know C can’t run out of his way at the minute unfortunately. Just can’t see the harm of positive encouragement as I said, if it’s not your thing fair enough.

It was an honest question as I said, I know C can’t run out of his way at the minute unfortunately. Just can’t see the harm of positive encouragement as I said, if it’s not your thing fair enough.

One minute, now. I'm all for encouragement. Did you read my post to Healy? But, over the last few years here I've seen a tendency of 'cheer leading' with certain posters and I'm afraid it's usually counter-productive.

Especially when it comes to longer distances I feel it's always best to be humble and keep the head down. Yes, it's partly my own fear of the longer distances and the rate at which I improve. Sure there are younger and newer to the game runners who can do 3.30 to 2.52 or some such but the vast majority of us have to work hard and stay patient and disciplined, as I believe Healy is, and eventually the times will come.

I wish him the very best in his endeavours in 2019, as I do you and the rest of the good folk on here.

• Advertisement

One minute, now. I'm all for encouragement. Did you read my post to Healy? But, over the last few years here I've seen a tendency of 'cheer leading' with certain posters and I'm afraid it's usually counter-productive.

Especially when it comes to longer distances I feel it's always best to be humble and keep the head down. Yes, it's partly my own fear of the longer distances and the rate at which I improve. Sure there are younger and newer to the game runners who can do 3.30 to 2.52 or some such but the vast majority of us have to work hard and stay patient and disciplined, as I believe Healy is, and eventually the times will come.

I wish him the very best in his endeavours in 2019, as I do you and the rest of the good folk on here.

Of course I read your post, I think I told healy1835 he made a bollix out of the 5k when he ran it. All on for staying humble & working hard to, I sweated my way to a piddling 5 min improvement over the marathon this year training through the heat Europe was gripped with this summer, something you encountered yourself I know. I just think this running crack is hard and we all like to hear a “you”ll smash it” every now and then as long as it’s in the right context. Like yourself I look forward to following all the good folk here in 2019 running plenty of PB’s. And no doubt you’ll run that 2.55 also.... not over 800m though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Of course I read your post, I think I told healy1835 he made a bollix out of the 5k when he ran it. All on for staying humble & working hard to, I sweated my way to a piddling 5 min improvement over the marathon this year training through the heat Europe was gripped with this summer, something you encountered yourself I know. I just think this running crack is hard and we all like to hear a “you”ll smash it” every now and then as long as it’s in the right context. Like yourself I look forward to following all the good folk here in 2019 running plenty of PB’s. And no doubt you’ll run that 2.55 also.... not over 800m though.

I feel very behind on this thread. Where do I see the posts referred to? I did a 5k race St Stephen's Day. Measured only 2.95 and did it in 17:22. Pleased enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hmm. Bit of a mixed bag with my 2018 goals:

Track

Run 400, 800, 1500. Sub-2:30 for the 800, others for the experience.

Didn’t run a 400 but yes to all the rest. 2:27 for 800 was the highlight of my year.

Participate in at least one of the provincial or national masters meets.

Didn't make the Leinsters (clashed with Cork Marathon), but ran the Nationals. Terrific event.

Take part in indoor meet.

Yes, a couple of NIA Live meets.

XC

Don’t get lapped in Dublin Masters.

Not as low a bar as it sounds, for the likes of me anyway. Success at last!

Run at least two other events (say this every year and fail).

Yes to this also. Ran a few BHAA races early in the year.

Road

Run two sub-20 5ks without pacer assistance. ;)

Fail. 20:02, 20:09, 20:29 were the best three of five attempts this year. I've yet to master the art of not backing off when the going gets rough.

69:xx for the 10 mile.

No attempt this year.

Run a good NYC marathon. Within 3 mins of PB.

Seven minutes outside the PB but the best race experience I've ever had. Unforgettable.

HM PB and beat clubmate in Charleville smackdown.

Smackdown never happened but had a good race, although it was a few seconds slower than PB.

Life

Be more constructive, positive, helpful.

Had my moments, some good, some bad. More work needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Pb's all round please! Mainly 200 & 400

Distance|Current PB|Target
    100m|XX.XX|run 1st 100m
    200m|24:82|24:20
    400m|53.54|53:00
    800m|2.08|2:07

Nothing. First crap year since I started running. Switched from sprinting to middle distance since the indoors and still way off being fit enough.

800 pb next year would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

quick feet wrote: »
    A few targets to chase throughout the year

Distance|Current PB|Target|result/B]
    Marathon| 3:17:29|3:14:00|3:14:55
    Half|1:30:00|1:32:02|1:31:30
    10 Miles|69:10|68:00|68:13
    10k|41:18|41:00|40:57
    5 Miles|33:07|32:45|
    5K|19:50|19:30|19:44

I managed 1550 miles last year so any increase on that will do..
    Improved most pbs but didn't quite hit the intended target.
    1850 miles for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    My goals for 2018 are probably the same as 2017!
    1. Crack 30 mins for 5km - I've kissed it once or twice.
    2. Hit 60 mins for 10k - current pb 62:58
    3. Run 750 kms - 1,000 may be too ambitious. Get out for more runs, even if they are short ones.
    4. Complete another half marathon.

Number 1 and 2 will be my focus this year. A friend wants to do a half marathon this year so I said I will do it with them, he's not chasing a time, just wants to complete one.

End of year review!
    1. Really wanted to go sub 30 mins for a 5km this year. Was borderline 30 mins in one race (watch said under, official time said over). Eventually got under 30 mins in July with an unplanned 5km after a wedding.
    2. Was it just me or were there very few 10km's on this year? Only raced 2 10k's - one was the day before another run so couldn't really race it. The other - it was unusually warm so had to be sensible.
    3. Set 1,000km as my target - and got 965km done, happy with that.
    4. I didn't just complete another half marathon - I completed 2! Helped another person to train for and complete a half marathon. I felt on the day I had more in me personally so I signed up for another one for 6 weeks later and took over 5 mins off my pb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Below in red is how my 2018 transpired.
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not going to set any time targets this season, for the first time in my athletics life. Last season went perfectly to plan. All the cards fell the right way. No distractions re weddings, stags, life. I managed huge consistency across a 10 month time frame, and was hitting 5 days a week almost every week. I got perfect conditions too the day I needed to. I didn’t even pick up a cold. It couldn’t have gone any smoother.

This year there are a rake of weddings and stags and other life events. Half my outdoor season is gone, and both National indoors and national outdoors are gone, which is where I have run most of my current PBs and which seem to bring out the best in me. I’ve been averaging only 4 days a week this winter. Training has still been good, but not at the level of last year.

I don’t expect to beat my PBs. But I also love sprinting, and really enjoy the training on the track with the group. So my goals are more vague this year:

1) Enjoy my training and racing, which is hugely important if one wants to stay at this in the medium/long term. I enjoyed the racing, and enjoyed the sessions with the group. The sessions I did solo were a real drag though given how awful last winter was. Overall, goal achieved though
    2) Race as much as I realistically can over 60m, 100m and 200m In total I raced 21 times (9 indoor, 12 outdoor). A bit down on the 31 races the previous year, but given all the distractions in 2018, it was still a good number
    3) Run to a level I am happy with 7.97 for 60m (down on my PB of 7.80 from 2017), 12.45 for 100m (down on my PB of 12.20 from 2017) and 25.47 for 200m (down on my PB of 24.87 from 2017). Probably my best performance was 25.53 for the indoor 200m, which was just 0.06 down on my indoor PB. I was part of our 4x100m team which won a bronze at Leinsters which was probably the highlight of the season. Overall, performances weren't great though, but I got what I deserved so no complaints.
    4) Run one meet in Belgium and perform strongly there This didn't happen. I planned to go to Brussels at the end of June, but I had to pull it once I learned that my friend (who I was groomsman for) was having his stag that weekend.

If I break any of my PBs it will be a bonus. It could happen (more likely indoors), I’m just not going to expect it this season. It was overall a pretty uneventful year for me running wise. However, it was also a year where I broke away out of a profession I detested, into something I really enjoy. When I was in my old career, my running was my full priority, as I got no satisfaction from my work. That is not the case anymore. Running is still a great love of mine, but it is no longer the be-all and end-all it once felt like.

Advertisement