Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 175 route......Information please?!

Options
  • 26-08-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi, all. Go-Ahead Ireland will be operating their first route from the 9th of September, route 175 from Citywest to UCD via Dundrum.

As far as I know there is no information yet about the timetable and the exact route.

All I know is that it will be stopping at Dundrum LUAS and on the main street as there are new TFI stops there.

I think that it is quite ridiculous that they seem to be waiting until last minute with giving out information about the route.

With the start of the school term basically upon us would they not have released the information earlier...What about students in UCD who could benefit from this route but they aren't able to make plans because they have no timetable/route information.

Usually Dublin Bus release timetable/service changes two weeks in advance at the latest. Today is 2 weeks until the 9th of September, when the 175 route begins operating.

Maybe today is the day. Maybe later there will be information. We must note that previous timetable/service changes by Dublin Bus usually have been on Sundays. Notice how all of Go-Ahead routes are starting operations on Sundays. So this might mean today is the day.

Also, I am a bus enthusiast. I am going to be doing a bus spin on the 9th of September on the 175 route. It is really frustrating that I don't have any information to plan a spin.

What do you think? Also.....if you have any info PLEASE SHARE.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The exact route map can already be found on the Transport for Ireland Journey Planner.

Go here: https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=rop

Type 175 in, select it, select inbound or outbound and view on map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

According to this video the timetable will be structured to coincide with the start and finish times for lectures in UCD.

https://vimeo.com/279761747

I agree with the OP's sentiment. I also think this route should already be in operation to allow it to bed in and sort out any teething issues before the schools/colleges go back. It appears the start date of the 9th September is to coincide with the start of the college term.

I also think the routing choosen in and out of UCD is a poor choice, I don't see why it isin't using the Owenstown Enterance to UCD instead of the N11 which the 17 uses. I suspect it would have a timetable somewhere around the half hourly mark. I also think it would have been better if this route was extended to Blackrock DART station as this would provide an extra service between Blackrock DART and UCD.

Also when this route starts operating will the section of bus lane on Wyckham Way which is not currently in use come into use?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP's sentiment. I also think this route should already be in operation to allow it to bed in and sort out any teething issues before the schools/colleges go back. It appears the start date of the 9th September is to coincide with the start of the college term.

I wasn't actually saying that but I should have thought that. I was just saying the timetables should be released early.

I wasn't actually saying that but I should have thought that. I was just saying the timetables should be released early.

I know that's just my own personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I think that it is quite ridiculous that they seem to be waiting until last minute with giving out information about the route.

Usually Dublin Bus release timetable/service changes two weeks in advance at the latest. Today is 2 weeks until the 9th of September, when the 175 route begins operating.

Also, I am a bus enthusiast. I am going to be doing a bus spin on the 9th of September on the 175 route. It is really frustrating that I don't have any information to plan a spin.

What do you think? Also.....if you have any info PLEASE SHARE.
    Thanks in advance.

This route is already active on the National Journey Planner. If you put in your travel details it will return information for the 175. Dublin Bus provide 10 working days of notice before any timetable change, I’m not sure what the Go Ahead promise is but I guess we’ll see information being rolled out this week.

The timetable seems to be every 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

KD345 wrote: »
    This route is already active on the National Journey Planner. If you put in your travel details it will return information for the 175. Dublin Bus provide 10 working days of notice before any timetable change, I’m not sure what the Go Ahead promise is but I guess we’ll see information being rolled out this week.

The timetable seems to be every 30 minutes.

It's just the route that's on the journey planner no timetable or departures. It has been given an allocation of 6 buses which I guess would be a similar allocation to 75 or other similar orbital routes which have a frequency of around about every half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

According to this video the timetable will be structured to coincide with the start and finish times for lectures in UCD.

https://vimeo.com/279761747

I also think the routing choosen in and out of UCD is a poor choice, I don't see why it isin't using the Owenstown Enterance to UCD instead of the N11 which the 17 uses. I suspect it would have a timetable somewhere around the half hourly mark. I also think it would have been better if this route was extended to Blackrock DART station as this would provide an extra service between Blackrock DART and UCD.

Also when this route starts operating will the section of bus lane on Wyckham Way which is not currently in use come into use?

Owing to building work in UCD, the Owenstown entrance doesn't go anywhere, not that UCD have bothered to change  their website map. It would be good if UCD would inform people of the new bus, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

ucdperson wrote: »
    Owing to building work in UCD, the Owenstown entrance doesn't go anywhere, not that UCD have bothered to change  their website map. It would be good if UCD would inform people of the new bus, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Does the 17 not use it anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Does the 17 not use it anymore?

No the 17 is not using it either for the same reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

It's just the route that's on the journey planner no timetable or departures. It has been given an allocation of 6 buses which I guess would be a similar allocation to 75 or other similar orbital routes which have a frequency of around about every half hour.

Are you using it correctly? I have tried it again and each time it shows route 175 with departure and arrival times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

It's a pity it doesn't use Birches Lane to get from Taney Road to Kilmacud Road upper. 

It would eliminate a big dog leg in the route which just shadows the Luas for a stop and runs along Dundrum Main Street which tends to get congested.

Birches Lane is wide and less congested.

I'm not sure how realistic the journey times for the 175 are compared to those advertised for Dublin Bus.

For example at midday UCD (stop 765) to the Square Tallaght (stop 7347) is advertised as 53 minutes on the 175. 

A combination of the 17 and 75 is advertised as taking 56 minutes, inclusive of a nine-minute change at Rathfarnham, so a journey time of 47 minutes.

There are 49 stops on each route and to my eye the 175 uses roads which are less prone to congestion.

Maybe there is padding to let the new schedule bed down but for this kind of journey the 175 should beat a change using 75 and 17.

See attached for timetable.

devnull wrote: »
    See attached for timetable.
    The timetable is very nice and clear. But how is anyone supposed to ascertain how many stages they will be travelling?

Or is this special knowledge that only drivers will posess?

Hopefully the NTA do more to advertise the new service in the coming days and weeks. No mention of it yet anywhere other than on the Journey Planner and the TFI website. Needs to be advertised on social media and in news articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bray Head wrote: »
    The timetable is very nice and clear. But how is anyone supposed to ascertain how many stages they will be travelling?

that's the same on all bus routes - the stage system is a mystery, but hopefully will be replaced soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

I wonder where you will be able to get a hard copy of the new Go Ahead timetables over the coming months

DB as very good at this just pop I to DB HQ and you can have a many timetables as you wish

See attached the new bus stop information displays that were proposed for the 175.

The NTA really need to do more to advertise this new service. If DB were operating it you could be damn sure there'd be more publicity around it.

As for the 175 itself I always thought the idea of the 175 was to be a more direct alternative to the 75 but this doesn't appear to be the case as the route seems to meander quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,969 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

devnull wrote: »
    See attached the new bus stop information displays that were proposed for the 175.

It would explain why some of the stops in the area have a new logo on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I'm not sure how realistic the journey times for the 175 are compared to those advertised for Dublin Bus.

For example at midday UCD (stop 765) to the Square Tallaght (stop 7347) is advertised as 53 minutes on the 175. 

A combination of the 17 and 75 is advertised as taking 56 minutes, inclusive of a nine-minute change at Rathfarnham, so a journey time of 47 minutes.

There are 49 stops on each route and to my eye the 175 uses roads which are less prone to congestion.

Maybe there is padding to let the new schedule bed down but for this kind of journey the 175 should beat a change using 75 and 17.

The 175 uses extremely less congested routes. The route from Old Bawn shops to Marlay Park is essentially traffic free imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tried to flick them an email to ask, just to see what the response would be. But the email address on the timetable devnull posted is invalid :rolleyes:

The website is no help either. Will see what TFI say on the matter. EDIT: TFI make it very difficult to figure how to email them direct. just sent a facebook message to Go Ahead instead.

EDIT2: The NTA website has contact details but not the TFI one, bizarre :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Seen a couple of the buses out with L plates in citywest in the last week. They look like raw beginners.

Nice to see an alternative to db though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Seen a couple of the buses out with L plates in citywest in the last week. They look like raw beginners.

Nice to see an alternative to db though.

Yep. Those buses are used Mercedes single deck training buses originally from Go-Ahead Oxford.

I do agree with them being an alternative to DB. I have seen one in Dún Laoghaire before. They have a real nice purple & blue livery on them.

The new 175 bus stops along Fortunestown Way have gone up, new style, not just a replacement sign. Look very well.

Qrt wrote: »
    The new 175 bus stops along Fortunestown Way have gone up, new style, not just a replacement sign. Look very well.

Are these brand new stops at locations which have never had stops before or are they replaced DB bus stops?

It appears the new stops are only going in brand new locations which have not previously had a bus stop.

Are these brand new stops at locations which have never had stops before or are they replaced DB bus stops?

It appears the new stops are only going in brand new locations which have not previously had a bus stop.

Brand new stops, five digit codes.

Qrt wrote: »
    Brand new stops, five digit codes.

They look well but I'm not sure if they will last the test of time. Most DB stops which are far older are in a much better condition than the Aircoach and DB trueform stops.

loyatemu wrote: »
    that's the same on all bus routes - the stage system is a mystery, but hopefully will be replaced soon enough.

GA have not provided passengers with any opportunity - on bus stops, printed timetables or on the web - for ascertaining how many stages are on their journey.

I don't think GA will have a leg to stand on if they charge any ticket holder for travelling further than is permitted on a stage 1-3 fare.

PS: I think the stage system is completely dumb and needs abolition. I still think GA need to inform customers about how it works on their route though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't think GA will have a leg to stand on if they charge any ticket holder for travelling further than is permitted on a stage 1-3 fare.

how do you figure that? DB don't provide the info on stop either. But neither of them dictate that anyway, it's down to the NTA.

Advertisement