Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Wexford Waterford line reopen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

The big problem is the lack of passenger available to use the route, and no freight facility at rosslare for rail.

Nail in the coffin for the "onward connectivity" arguement; they stopped the 5/x5 bus route from Waterford via the east coast to Dublin which stopped at the towns along the way, due to lack of ridership, and that was a well serviced route!

IngazZagni wrote: »
    The name of the group shows they have an agenda. It's a classic case of the conclusion being written first and the rest is a document to try and fit the conclusion. It is not an independent report.

Aye, its along the lines of the WOT fantasy stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 reddituser123

Can we please stop with the anti rail crap posts. It's obvious that many users on this thread are trolling at this stage, trying to downplay all the hard work SEOT have done so far.

@Larbre34 You are the one who is deluded and I am assuming you are trolling. People before Profit support reopening the rail line, and many other TD's in the area have supported it as well.

Everyone else in this thread who is trolling, STOP, most of you have never traveled the line or have been anywhere near the area.

I request we temporarily lock this thread to stop the trolls.

Mod: Less of the attacking other posters - sanctions will follow if you do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hi Ohographite. You are deluded. Even if you think you're not, you are. Absolutely nobody is talking about reopening this line, ever. Even the Green party. That should tell you everything you need to know.

I do not expect this line to reopen, but I still think it should.

How many passengers currently use the Rosslare Europort to Wexford section of the RE to Dub service? How many go from Wexford to Enniscorthy? (I mean how many are on the train for those two services, wherever they are actually going)

Someone quoted a 1,000 passengers a day, but I suspect many are after Wicklow to Dublin, and very few before Arklow. I doubt the current service carries anything like 60 passengers per day out of Wexford, and even if they did, that is a very low usage for the service. One bus or coach would carry that many.

The 2019 Heavy Rail Census Report has 83 daily northbound boardings in Wexford, and 132 daily southbound alightings. That means in 2019, the total number of journeys made daily to Wexford from the direction of Dublin, combined with the journeys made daily from Wexford towards Dublin, was 215.

I would say the amount of journeys Wexford station is used for in a day during the lockdown is below 60, but I don't expect it to stay that low when the lockdown is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

@Larbre34 You are the one who is deluded and I am assuming you are trolling. People before Profit support reopening the rail line

Oh well I stand corrected. Just so long as Irish Rail can survive on people and not profit, eh?

I'm not trolling one syllable. I'm im favour of high speed, high frequency intercity heavy rail investment and commuter rail and light rail for our cities. I do not accept pissing away taxpayers money on a white elephant thats already been shot between the eyes. That doesn't make me anti-rail, it makes me a realist.

Can we please stop with the anti rail crap posts. It's obvious that many users on this thread are trolling at this stage, trying to downplay all the hard work SEOT have done so far.

@Larbre34 You are the one who is deluded and I am assuming you are trolling. People before Profit support reopening the rail line, and many other TD's in the area have supported it as well.

Everyone else in this thread who is trolling, STOP, most of you have never traveled the line or have been anywhere near the area.

First off, you're a new account so let me make you aware, there is a report button under each post. If you feel someone is trolling, by all means click that button, fill in the box and submit.

Unlike reddit, boards allows for open discussion with opposing points of view. So long as you stay within the rules, no opinion is invalid

Now, allow me to clarify for you, just because people don't agree with you, does not mean they are trolling you.

SEOT may have done up a lovely case study to make their case however it doesn't stack up when compared to other rail projects which have a far higher benefit regardless of whatever measure you decide to use (economic, environmental, pax increases, etc etc etc).

That the needs of this route are already served by a several buses which are not that busy would indicate that there is a very small market in the first place. Indeed if there was a doubling of the demand tomorrow I doubt they would even need to run additional buses such is the spare capacity.

While it would be nice to have this route reopened, and I'm personally not against it, it is unlikely to reopen during our lifetimes as there is a long list of other projects which are going to get funding ahead of this. For example, see the list I posted above. That list is IE's hopes and dreams for the next decade.....they will not get everything on that list sadly so some will go into the next decades pot by which time there will be other projects again, which will be more deserving of investment that this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I am a member of South East on Track. I do not have any vested interest in being part of the group. I am part of it because I think reopening Waterford-Rosslare would be beneficial to the environment and to the people who would use it, and also because they have other demands which I also agree with, which I'd say would be cheaper to implement, such as improving the services on all the operational railways to the Southeast of Ireland, including Dublin-Waterford, Dublin-Rosslare and Limerick-Waterford. It is actually because of their demand for improving the operational railways that I joined them.

How can anyone take the group serious ? You need to declare who is on the committee. Without doing so you have no credibility. For all we know you could be a company with the contract to look after the tracks or supply locomotives for that line

If people before profit are involved, then the project is a non starter, especially that Una Dunphy, she has absolutely no grounding in the real world and has no respect even from people within PBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I am a member of South East on Track. I do not have any vested interest in being part of the group. I am part of it because I think reopening Waterford-Rosslare would be beneficial to the environment and to the people who would use it, and also because they have other demands which I also agree with, which I'd say would be cheaper to implement, such as improving the services on all the operational railways to the Southeast of Ireland, including Dublin-Waterford, Dublin-Rosslare and Limerick-Waterford. It is actually because of their demand for improving the operational railways that I joined them.

How is laying 60km of track to take 600 people out of their cars better for the environment then buying 10 buses to use the road that's already built? If there was no road linking them then a rail link may be viable but building a duplicate rail link for tiny numbers is not good for the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Repeatedly calling people who have, on multiple occasions, shown serious and clear desire for a major increase in rail projects 'anti-rail' does little to lend credibility to your argument.

Being 'Pro-rail' does not mean you need to be in favour of every rail project, especially ones that would damage the viability of the existing network.

Spending over 50 million on this route would delay spending on one of the current critical pieces of improvement needed for the core network.

Operating it would put a major hole in finances which would mean less money for maintenance and increased risk of other lines closing.

I have zero issue with this project being on an IÉ 'list' of things to do, as long as proponents can accept that its very likely going to remain at the very bottom of that list for at least the next 30 years.

If you insist it be done as soon as possible then arguably you are 'anti-rail' as the result of this would be the closure of more routes, including this one within 5-10 years of reopening.

Fight for it to become a heritage route, you can even try and get it running a timetable that gets you into Wexford for 9...

Repeatedly calling people who have, on multiple occasions, shown serious and clear desire for a major increase in rail projects 'anti-rail' does little to lend credibility to your argument.

Being 'Pro-rail' does not mean you need to be in favour of every rail project, especially ones that would damage the viability of the existing network.

Spending over 50 million on this route would delay spending on one of the current critical pieces of improvement needed for the core network.

Operating it would put a major hole in finances which would mean less money for maintenance and increased risk of other lines closing.

I have zero issue with this project being on an IÉ 'list' of things to do, as long as proponents can accept that its very likely going to remain at the very bottom of that list for at least the next 30 years.

If you insist it be done as soon as possible then arguably you are 'anti-rail' as the result of this would be the closure of more routes, including this one within 5-10 years of reopening.

Fight for it to become a heritage route, you can even try and get it running a timetable that gets you into Wexford for 9...

The old Tramore railway line would make a great heritage railway, I was just thinking about that the other day.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    The old Tramore railway line would make a great heritage railway, I was just thinking about that the other day.

I think running heritage railway alongside a greenway track would be an AMAZING tourist draw, these are the sort of projects that we need to push for.

I think running heritage railway alongside a greenway track would be an AMAZING tourist draw, these are the sort of projects that we need to push for.

Even if it was just small trains, like they do on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway to facilitate space to include a Greenway, it would be a HUGE tourist draw!

Imagine, being able to get a steam train to the beach direct from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Suggesting a heritage railway for this route shows a serious lack of understanding of railway preservation in general and in Ireland in particular. Primarily, even if money was not a problem, there's no volunteers, no available locomotives or rolling stock. The suggestion is similar to that made by those other railway 'experts' McKinsey & Co. who stated in their 1970s report that the Youghal line should be hand over to a railway preservation society.

Del2005 wrote: »
    How is laying 60km of track to take 600 people out of their cars better for the environment then buying 10 buses to use the road that's already built? If there was no road linking them then a rail link may be viable but building a duplicate rail link for tiny numbers is not good for the environment.

The track is still in situ and while some relaying would be involved you're are making it sound like an entirely new railway would have to be driven through virgin countryside. Have you ever travelled on the Waterford/Rosslare route?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The track is still in situ and while some relaying would be involved you're are making it sound like an entirely new railway would have to be driven through virgin countryside. Have you ever travelled on the Waterford/Rosslare route?

The line is not owned by IE, but like Rosslare Europort and Fishguard Port, is part owned in conjunction with Stena Line.

Who is going to pay for any upgrade work?

The line is not owned by IE, but like Rosslare Europort and Fishguard Port, is part owned in conjunction with Stena Line.

Who is going to pay for any upgrade work?

I'm well aware of who owns the line and it's a red herring. The line was not closed by the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company no more than it was operated by them. It would be CIE/Irish Government who fund any reopening.

Suggesting a heritage railway for this route shows a serious lack of understanding of railway preservation in general and in Ireland in particular. Primarily, even if money was not a problem, there's no volunteers, no available locomotives or rolling stock. The suggestion is similar to that made by those other railway 'experts' McKinsey & Co. who stated in their 1970s report that the Youghal line should be hand over to a railway preservation society.

Are you implying that SouthWest on Track would not be interested in volunteering for such a thing if the opportunity presented itself?

Some heritage stock does exist, I think it would be well worth discussing with the minister of tourism and the minister of heritage as an opportunity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I'm well aware of who owns the line and it's a red herring. The line was not closed by the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company no more than it was operated by them. It would be CIE/Irish Government who fund any reopening.

Given the current development of Rosslare Europort, it would be prudent for IE and the Irish Gov to sort out the ownership issue before much money was spent.

I doubt that the Rosslare to Waterford line would be considered an asset.

• Advertisement

I agree that there are other projects that should be done on the railway network first.

Are you implying that SouthWest on Track would not be interested in volunteering for such a thing if the opportunity presented itself?

Some heritage stock does exist, I think it would be well worth discussing with the minister of tourism and the minister of heritage as an opportunity.

I am not implying anything, I am telling you

1.) The locomotives and rolling stock for such a project are NOT available.

2.) The idea that having a Facebook page, and preparing costings for a State reopening of the line, equates to being able to provide volunteers to operate what would be the longest preserved railway in the British Isles is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

The length would make it difficult but having it bridge the gap between two mainlines and having it as the only large heritage preservation in the Irish state would make it a pretty big draw from those in the UK and Ireland, the UK rail enthusiast market is huge and having rosslare right on the doorstep of the line would be essential to its success.

The length would make it difficult but having it bridge the gap between two mainlines and having it as the only large heritage preservation in the Irish state would make it a pretty big draw from those in the UK and Ireland, the UK rail enthusiast market is huge and having rosslare right on the doorstep of the line would be essential to its success.

You've conveniently ignored my post - there's nothing available for such a fanciful project - no stock and no volunteers. Incidentally, your use of the word bridge is apt as there are rather a lot of them!

I am not implying anything, I am telling you

1.) The locomotives and rolling stock for such a project are NOT available.

2.) The idea that having a Facebook page, and preparing costings for a State reopening of the line, equates to being able to provide volunteers to operate what would be the longest preserved railway in the British Isles is nonsense.

A point of order, I initially was discussing the creation of a Heritage route on the Tramore Line, if you were to restore part of the Waterford-Rosslare line as heritage then it likely wouldn't be the whole thing, most likely the section close to Waterford to gain the most visitors.

I understand there is a lack of Steam locomotives, but potentially IÉ would part with some old stock when the new trains come in starting 2023/4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

A point of order, I initially was discussing the creation of a Heritage route on the Tramore Line, if you were to restore part of the Waterford-Rosslare line as heritage then it likely wouldn't be the whole thing, most likely the section close to Waterford to gain the most visitors.

I understand there is a lack of Steam locomotives, but potentially IÉ would part with some old stock when the new trains come in starting 2023/4?

I was thinking they could form a partnership with the rpsi who have multiple steam and diesel locomotives as well as rolling stock (some of which they can't even use currently) the issues for me that would present the most problem is cash and volunteers. National lottery grants and tourism ireland would be a good Start but presumably the project will need at least one wealthy backer to get off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Aren't there enough buses covering New Ross, Wexford & Rosslare?

The population isn't there to justify such an investment!

I'm all for rail investment, it has been sadly neglected over the years

but it needs to be carefully thought out before investing in it.

What state is the line currently? Can it take a locomotive, or a commuter train? Are the stations still intact? Are the sleepers rotten? Is the signalling system intact and working?

If it could take a routine train, there might be some tiny chance, but if not, then not a chance.

The heritage idea might work coupled with a greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

What state is the line currently? Can it take a locomotive, or a commuter train? Are the stations still intact? Are the sleepers rotten? Is the signalling system intact and working?

If it could take a routine train, there might be some tiny chance, but if not, then not a chance.

The line was seeing an annual weed spraying train. However, the NTA and IE have taken the decision to leave the Barrow Bridge in the open position, so.
    that it is easier for marine traffic to access New Ross port. IE were employing 4 staff to open the bridge twice a day, which is odd for a line that was closed 10 years ago. I'm not sure if that prevents future weed spraying trains.

Source: https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2020-10-06a.540

• Advertisement

You're still not taking it in - the heritage idea is a nonsense. The RPSI are far, far away in Co.Antrim and would have zero interest in such a scheme and do not have loads of serviceable steam locos available.

The stations, apart from Wellingtonbridge, have been no more than bare platforms for years. The signalling system is intact. A lot of sleepers would need replacing but the line as been used by inspection cars and the weedkilling train in recent times.

Advertisement