Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Wexford Waterford line reopen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Perhaps make this question a bit clearer???

I'm doing my best, but the general gist of my question is what do you think is the motivation of the people who don't agree with you, yet are heavily pro-rail in other parts of the country?
    Do you think that they simply don't understand, do you think they have some form of wilful ignorance, do you think they have some anti-Waterford or anti-Wexford agenda?

What do you think is their reasoning for not jumping on this good idea you can see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 reddituser123

Which rail provider do you envisage running the reopened line? Is it the same operator who ran a useless service to run the line into the ground? If not who?

The rail company that runs the trains on the moon.

IE.

I'm doing my best, but the general gist of my question is what do you think is the motivation of the people who don't agree with you, yet are heavily pro-rail in other parts of the country?
    Do you think that they simply don't understand, do you think they have some form of wilful ignorance, do you think they have some anti-Waterford or anti-Wexford agenda?

What do you think is their reasoning for not jumping on this good idea you can see?

Wilful ignorance, or they don't know anything about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Despite what some random people online say, I will continue to believe that a rail service with a proper timetable and decent promotion running from Wexford town to Waterford
    would get passengers.

You can continue to hold that belief. We all have our beliefs. But then there's cold hard cash to be stumped up. I think that's when the belief has to be backed up by fact, demand, and planning. I don't believe there is anything like the demand - there wasn't even the demand to run a bus from Enniscorthy to Waterford through Clonroche?

Its worth noting that the subvention in the Ballybrophy-Limerick train line is €550 per PASSENGER. Don't forget that the Capex costs to build the line are 1 thing - the Opex costs are the real killer as they are the on-going costs year in year out. Money which can absolutely find a better home in our country than some romantic notion of a demand which just isn't there.

You can always tell demand based on services like Wexford Bus - they only put on buses where there's business justification, because it hits their bottom line. If they can't even justify more than a handful of buses a day, how are you justifying a outrageously expensive train line?
    Wilful ignorance, or they don't know anything about the area.

Neither of these are true. Many of us know the area, or live in the real world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Plot-twist: the wexford-waterford line connects Wexford town, a big town, with Waterford City, a - you guessed it - city. 'no trip generators at either end' is not true.

You fail to realize that the reason no one chose to turn up for the train was because there was a useless service with no promotion so no one COULD turn up for it. The service was one train from Rosslare port to waterford in the morning and back in the evening. Not serving Wexford town, and extremely inconvenient for people commuting between the 2.

Plot twist indeed.

I would never guessed that Waterford was a city and Wexford was a 'big town'. This 'big town' only warrants three trains a day to Dublin, the biggest city in Ireland. Now how many trains will be warranted to go across the coastal route to Waterford, to Rosslare?

Looking at Wikipedia, it has this quote you might be interested in:
    Train services have remained infrequent for more than 100 years. By 2003 the line was carrying fewer than 100 passengers a day. When IÉ reopened the line it introduced new railcars and a service of three journeys in each direction on weekdays, which was a greater service frequency than the line had for much of its history. There is no Sunday service.

Wikipedia also states that the line is not in full IE ownership - it is part owned by Stena.

Now, it never ever had a frequent service, and if it did not have one over a hundred years ago when there were next to no cars on the road, how will it generate traffic now?

Look, there are better rail projects that need attention than this. Concentrate on Wexford to Dublin before that closes. Three trains per day is not enough to keep it open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Plot twist indeed.

I would never guessed that Waterford was a city and Wexford was a 'big town'. This 'big town' only warrants three trains a day to Dublin, the biggest city in Ireland. Now how many trains will be warranted to go across the coastal route to Waterford, to Rosslare?

Wikipedia also states that the line is not in full IE ownership - it is part owned by Stena.

Now, it never ever had a frequent service, and if it did not have one over a hundred years ago when there were next to no cars on the road, how will it generate traffic now?

Look, there are better rail projects that need attention than this. Concentrate on Wexford to Dublin before that closes. Three trains per day is not enough to keep it open.

That you're resorting to Wikipedia for your 'facts' says a lot. When was the line "reopened"?

I note that 'citation needed' is widely mentioned on that Wiiki page.

You can continue to hold that belief. We all have our beliefs. But then there's cold hard cash to be stumped up. I think that's when the belief has to be backed up by fact, demand, and planning. I don't believe there is anything like the demand - there wasn't even the demand to run a bus from Enniscorthy to Waterford through Clonroche?

Its worth noting that the subvention in the Ballybrophy-Limerick train line is €550 per PASSENGER. Don't forget that the Capex costs to build the line are 1 thing - the Opex costs are the real killer as they are the on-going costs year in year out. Money which can absolutely find a better home in our country than some romantic notion of a demand which just isn't there.

You can always tell demand based on services like Wexford Bus - they only put on buses where there's business justification, because it hits their bottom line. If they can't even justify more than a handful of buses a day, how are you justifying a outrageously expensive train line?

Neither of these are true. Many of us know the area, or live in the real world.
    Ballybrophy line is for another thread. Same issue is happening, line and services are being run down, check out North Tipperary Community Rail Partnership, a group similar to South east on Track.

As for your statements about buses, you, and most others on this thread, have an obsession with the idea that public transport has to be profitable. It is an essesntial service for people like me who haven't learned to drive yet, as well as people who cannot drive cars for various other reasons.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That you're resorting to Wikipedia for your 'facts' says a lot. When was the line "reopened"?

I note that 'citation needed' is widely mentioned on that Wiiki page.

When you can't attack the position, attack the source eh

If you have alternate info, by all means share it. The conversation will be richer for it

Plot twist indeed.

Ah yes, wikipedia, the most reliable source o the internet that totally isn't edited by random people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

The things you are talking about is exactly my point though!

Fighting to open this line right now while the lines either side are being left to rot is just bonkers, fight to protect and revitalize the lines that are there before trying to resuscitate the dead one!

Again, I don't know if you are getting this, but I'm not anti-rail I desperately want rail invested in. I want to see the routes currently getting the Waterford-Rosslare line treatment from CIE (Passing loops removed, illogical timetabling) saved and back to sensible service patterns. The best way to do this is NOT to restore another route that IE will want to run into the ground again, its to improve the rest of the network to the point where they can more easily afford to restore this line.

I actually really agree with you here. I am still very much in favour of reopening Rosslare-Waterford, but I do think that improving the services on Rosslare-Dublin and LimerickJunction-Waterford should be done first, and I thought this before you made this point. I even started a thread a few months ago in the Train & Rail Systems forum where I expressed my view on the LimerickJunction-Waterford line, and came up with potential timetables for it which I think would be an improvement over the current one.
    The thread is here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058097224

• Advertisement

Your number is an estimate backed by nothing more than a few unfounded assumptions of your own. If you want the line reopened, then get some surveys done that back your estimates, and make sure they have some provenance that gives those surveys believable backing.
    Why are my assumptions unfounded?

bk wrote: »
    Funny, that, I was just wondering, if the people who propose mad rural rail projects like this in Ireland and say things like rail will take people out of their cars, have ever actually frequently used rail in Ireland. In particular in rural areas. It ain't fun and it ain't particularly attractive.

My estimates for the amount of people who would use the Waterford-Rosslare line if reopened are based entirely on the amount of people who already make other journeys by train, on other lines in the country.

bk wrote: »
    I'd object to the basic assumption that people prefer rail over coaches and that rail necessarily attracts people out of their cars.

The Dublin-Rosslare railway was used for over 1000 journeys a day before the lockdown started, even though Wexford Bus operate a parallel bus service which is faster, cheaper and more frequent. That is a reason why I think some people prefer the train to the bus.
    I think that some people are encouraged out of their cars by buses only, some people are encouraged out of their cars by trains only, some are encouraged out of their cars by both, and some are encouraged out of their cars by neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Dublin-Rosslare railway was used for over 1000 journeys a day before the lockdown started, even though Wexford Bus operate a parallel bus service which is faster, cheaper and more frequent. That is a reason why I think some people prefer the train to the bus.
    I think that some people are encouraged out of their cars by buses only, some people are encouraged out of their cars by trains only, some are encouraged out of their cars by both, and some are encouraged out of their cars by neither.

They might, but if you're trying to say that a Waterford - Rosslare line would get 560 pax, when Wexford town to the Capital City gets 1,000, then you are simply spoofing out of yourself.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They might, but if you're trying to say that a Waterford - Rosslare line would get 560 pax, when Wexford town to the Capital City gets 1,000, then you are simply spoofing out of yourself.
    Public transport is an essential service, it does not have to be profitable.

Larbre34 wrote: »

I still don't think that's a too optimistic estimate when you consider the Waterford-Rosslare line could be used to make train journeys from Waterford to any of the towns on the Dublin-Rosslare line, or from any of the towns on the Dublin-Rosslare line to anywhere on the Dublin-Waterford line, or anywhere on the Limerick-Waterford line, or even from Dublin to the villages between Wexford and Waterford.

Ballybrophy line is for another thread. Same issue is happening, line and services are being run down, check out North Tipperary Community Rail Partnership, a group similar to South east on Track.

As for your statements about buses, you, and most others on this thread, have an obsession with the idea that public transport has to be profitable. It is an essesntial service for people like me who haven't learned to drive yet, as well as people who cannot drive cars for various other reasons.

How is something which should be the source of alarm bells for similar projects for another thread? Should we repeat the same mistakes?

I can't believe that you and others can't make any justification of the numbers who will travel in this line. Also, I 100% agree that public transport doesn't have to be profitable. But I don't accept that a subvention of the region of the many of the loss making lines is an appropriate use of tax payers money, do you?

I still don't think that's a too optimistic estimate when you consider the Waterford-Rosslare line could be used to make train journeys from Waterford to any of the towns on the Dublin-Rosslare line, or from any of the towns on the Dublin-Rosslare line to anywhere on the Dublin-Waterford line, or anywhere on the Limerick-Waterford line, or even from Dublin to the villages between Wexford and Waterford.

I think its not just optimistic. Its delusional.

Public transport is an essential service, it does not have to be profitable.

If its using tax payer money, you have to be able to justify the spend

There may be some justification to reopen this line.....eventually....but it its way, WAY behind a long list of other, more justifiable, rail projects

If you take away the emotive argument, there is little to no strong argument for this project over the 10-20 ahead of it in the queue

If its using tax payer money, you have to be able to justify the spend

There may be some justification to reopen this line.....eventually....but it its way, WAY behind a long list of other, more justifiable, rail projects

If you take away the emotive argument, there is little to no strong argument for this project over the 10-20 ahead of it in the queue
    Please read South East on Track's business case.

Can someone link it for me,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here you are pdf
    https://t.co/vRQKEHRdmG?amp=1

I did, still not a strong enough justification to put it ahead of Dart+, Metro, etc.

In fact, IE themselves have no intention of looking to get that line opened. Their priorities for the next decade are
    • 4 tracking Hazelhatch – Kildare and 3 tracking Kildare to Portarlington on Cork Line
    • 3 or 4 tracking north of Connolly to Malahide on Belfast Line
    • Double tracking sections of Intercity network to facilitate reliable services at increased frequencies, with second platforms at existing stations including:
    • Double tracking Portarlington – Athlone
    • Double tracking Maynooth – Mullingar / Longford
    • Double tracking Athenry – Oranmore – Galway
    • Dynamic passing Loops / additional platforms Limerick – Limerick Junction
    • Additional platform at Millstreet on Tralee Line
    • Additional platform at Woodlawn on Galway Line
    • Passing loop between Claremorris and Westport
    • Reconfiguration of Sligo station and passing loop at Ballymote
    • Passing loop at Sixmilebridge on Ennis line

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I did, still not a strong enough justification to put it ahead of Dart+, Metro, etc.

In fact, IE themselves have no intention of looking to get that line opened. Their priorities for the next decade are
    • 4 tracking Hazelhatch – Kildare and 3 tracking Kildare to Portarlington on Cork Line
    • Double tracking sections of Intercity network to facilitate reliable services at increased frequencies, with second platforms at existing stations including:

Plus lots and lots of trains.

There are not enough Dart trains for the current (pre-Covid) time table, with no spares. There are not enough Commuter trains for the Phoenix Park Tunnel to GCD service, and even that is a curtailed service. There is a lack of IC trains leaving 3 or 4 car services when they should be 8 car.

I think its not just optimistic. Its delusional.

I don't see why it is delusional. I explained in post #21 earlier in this thread how I arrived at my estimate.
    I will repost it here:

I have estimated that the Rosslare-Waterford line would be used for 560 journeys a day, if reopened with the following:
    A train from Waterford that arrives at Wexford around 08:30(continuing to Dublin) and (coming from Dublin)departs Wexford for Waterford around 17:30
    A train from Wexford that arrives at Waterford at 8:30 and departs Waterford for Wexford around 17:30
    As well as those, 5 off-peak return trains from Dublin to Waterford via Wexford, with the ex Waterford ones departing Waterford just after either an arrival from Limerick Junction or an arrival from Dublin, and with the arrivals into Waterford arriving just before a departure for Limerick Junction or Dublin.

This would produce a service that suits people living in Waterford and working in Wexford(and vice versa), and it would connect all the towns on the Dublin-Carlow-Waterford line with all the towns on the Dublin-Wicklow-Wexford line(the timetable in operation in 2010 did not allow this, since there was an Enniscorthy to Waterford train that departed Enniscorthy earlier in the day than any train from Dublin arrived, and that returned to Enniscorthy later in the day than any train to Dublin departed). It would also connect all the towns on the Waterford-Limerick line to all the towns on the Dublin-Wicklow-Wexford line.

Below is an explanation of how I estimated 560 journeys a day:

-Waterford-Wexford journeys: estimated 170 journeys a day(similar to the 2019 daily Waterford-Kilkenny journeys in the NTA Heavy Rail Census Report 2019)

-Journeys from the villages on the Waterford-Rosslare line(Campile, Ballycullane, Wellingtonbridge, and Bridgetown) to Wexford and Dublin combined: 200 journeys a day(this comes from the 210 journeys a day to or from Ballymote in the NTA Heavy Rail Census Report 2019) I am comparing Ballymote to 4 villages in South Wexford, because Ballymote has a similar population to those 4 villages combined, so I think Ballymote-Sligo demand is similar to the demand from the 4 villages to Wexford town, and I think Ballymote-Dublin demand would equal the demand from the 4 villages to Dublin.

-Journeys from/to Waterford to/from the towns on the Dublin-Wicklow-Wexford line(including Bray, Enniscorthy and all intermediate towns with stations): 120 journeys a day. This estimate admittedly has less of a basis than the previous ones. There was some report I read(I can't remember what year it was, 2015 I think) that showed that the amount of journeys on the Dublin-Carlow-Waterford line that were made from Dublin to Waterford(not including journeys that used an intermediate station) was, on average, 38 per train. That same year, the amount of boardings and alightings on trains to/from Dublin in Waterford was, on average, 60 per train. So if you subtract 38 from 60 you have 22. If you subtract 12(the per train average amount of Waterford-Kilkenny journeys) from 22, you get 10 per train. So the amount of journeys made to/from Waterford that involved neither Kilkenny nor Dublin was, on average, 10 per train.
    I am guessing that the amount of journeys made to/from Waterford from/to all the towns on the Dublin-Wicklow-Wexford line(including Bray, Enniscorthy and all the intermediate towns with stations) would also be, on average, 10 per train. The service I am suggesting in this post includes 6 trains from Waterford to all these towns, and 6 trains from them back to Waterford, so 12 in total, and 12 multiplied by 10 is 120, so that's how I arrived at my estimate of 120 journeys a day.

-Journeys from towns on the Dublin-Wicklow-Wexford line(including Bray, Wexford and all intermediate towns with stations) to towns on the Waterford-Limerick line and towns on the Dublin-Carlow-Waterford line: 60 journeys a day.
    I'll admit this has no basis whatsoever, but with the service I'm suggesting in this post including 5 return trains a day(10 in total) connecting the Dublin-Wicklow-Wexford line to the other 2 lines, I'd say 60 such journeys a day could be achieved(6 per train on average)

So, to recap:
    Wexford TO/FROM Waterford:170 journeys a day
    South Wexford villages TO/FROM Dublin & Wexford: 210 journeys a day
    Waterford TO/FROM towns between Bray & Enniscorthy inclusive: 120 journeys a day
    Towns on Limerick-Waterford & Dublin-Waterford lines TO/FROM towns between Bray and Wexford inclusive: 60 journeys a day

170 + 210 + 120 + 60 = 560.

So that is where my estimate of 560 journeys a day comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,297 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Who are they. Clearly a vested interest group afraid to identify themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This is the nub of the issue to me.
    I have nothing whatsoever against the opening of the Wexford Waterford line. Sounds great. But realistically it's towards the "dream" end of the projects list rather than the "imminent" end.

If you told me it would be considered again 15-20 years from now I'd think it a reasonably big achievement.

ted1 wrote: »
    Who are they. Clearly a vested interest group afraid to identify themselves

I am a member of South East on Track. I do not have any vested interest in being part of the group. I am part of it because I think reopening Waterford-Rosslare would be beneficial to the environment and to the people who would use it, and also because they have other demands which I also agree with, which I'd say would be cheaper to implement, such as improving the services on all the operational railways to the Southeast of Ireland, including Dublin-Waterford, Dublin-Rosslare and Limerick-Waterford. It is actually because of their demand for improving the operational railways that I joined them.

I don't see why it is delusional. I explained in post #21 earlier in this thread how I arrived at my estimate.
    I will repost it here:

I have estimated that the Rosslare-Waterford line would be used for 560 journeys a day, if reopened with the following:

So, to recap:
    Wexford TO/FROM Waterford:170 journeys a day
    South Wexford villages TO/FROM Dublin & Wexford: 210 journeys a day
    Waterford TO/FROM towns between Bray & Enniscorthy inclusive: 120 journeys a day
    Towns on Limerick-Waterford & Dublin-Waterford lines TO/FROM towns between Bray and Wexford inclusive: 60 journeys a day

170 + 210 + 120 + 60 = 560.

So that is where my estimate of 560 journeys a day comes from.

How many passengers currently use the Rosslare Europort to Wexford section of the RE to Dub service? How many go from Wexford to Enniscorthy? (I mean how many are on the train for those two services, wherever they are actually going)

Someone quoted a 1,000 passengers a day, but I suspect many are after Wicklow to Dublin, and very few before Arklow. I doubt the current service carries anything like 60 passengers per day out of Wexford, and even if they did, that is a very low usage for the service. One bus or coach would carry that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The name of the group shows they have an agenda. It's a classic case of the conclusion being written first and the rest is a document to try and fit the conclusion. It is not an independent report.

Honestly I think the idea of reopening this line is farcical. A service that has never had any significant passenger numbers in its history. I would certainly object to any funds going to this project when there are so many other more pressing items on the agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hi Ohographite. You are deluded. Even if you think you're not, you are. Absolutely nobody is talking about reopening this line, ever. Even the Green party. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Advertisement