Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing season 21

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

dahat wrote: »
    What is the CI requirement for club leagues?

Ours is run with the general CI requirement of a first responder/medic. Not sure if all are the same as, up until this year, many club leagues were not on the calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

EAD wrote: »
    Ours is run with the general CI requirement of a first responder/medic. Not sure if all are the same as, up until this year, many club leagues were not on the calendar.

So is an ambo not required at all? Just a qualified responder? Seems a bit mad!! I don’t get the point of not being able to transport injured riders to hopspital if required.
    As I said I’m not an organiser, just an occasional racer/ marshal/ moto, so I follow these “stories” with more than a passing interest. I’d hate to see racing cancelled anywhere, but it is crazy to allow any racing to go ahead without an ambulance in attendance.
    I know the volunteer ambulance providers ( Civil Defence, Red Cross etc) are supposed to have PHECC registered and certified responders on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

ratracer wrote: »
    So is an ambo not required at all? Just a qualified responder? Seems a bit mad!! I don’t get the point of not being able to transport injured riders to hopspital if required.
    As I said I’m not an organiser, just an occasional racer/ marshal/ moto, so I follow these “stories” with more than a passing interest. I’d hate to see racing cancelled anywhere, but it is crazy to allow any racing to go ahead without an ambulance in attendance.
    I know the volunteer ambulance providers ( Civil Defence, Red Cross etc) are supposed to have PHECC registered and certified responders on board.

I think we need to 'be careful what you wish for' as the logical extension of saying 'its mad' not having an ambulance at every cycling event is likely cancellation of the vast majority of such events. Where are all these ambulances going to arrive from? Ireland does not have such resources and CI are not going to magically create a full HSE standard Ambulance service parked at the start line of every single cycling event. Is that really necessary? I have seen horrific injuries at GAA and rugby games, and broken legs and ankles at soccer: should we park an ambulance at every sports ground, playground and recreation ground now in case of injury? While that is not the suggestion in the above post (I know the sentiment is sincere) there are hand-waving outrage merchants who are happy to supply lawyers with business at the drop of a bidon... careful what you wish for.

Previous posters have stated that they have a 'no ambulance no race' policy and while sounds excellent, I doubt this refers to rural Ireland, where the sick/injured in general - never mind cycling- are devoid of a speedy service.

And also, there really needs to be a broad reminder that cycling in a bike race is essentially dangerous and we all have to accept that and try mitigate against disaster by riding responsibly. The evolving 'dangerisation' of life by emotive and influential voices is partly killing the joy and excitement in life generally, and is now migrating here to cycling racing.

I'm praying this will blow over soon, we continue with the current medical cover requirements, and perhaps CI could lobby (like most of the vested interests in the country) for a better resourced HSE including ambulance services for races and events. Otherwise its bye bye to road cycling- the snowflakes and lawyers will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

I think we need to 'be careful what you wish for' as the logical extension of saying 'its mad' not having an ambulance at every cycling event is likely cancellation of the vast majority of such events. Where are all these ambulances going to arrive from? Ireland does not have such resources and CI are not going to magically create a full HSE standard Ambulance service parked at the start line of every single cycling event. Is that really necessary? I have seen horrific injuries at GAA and rugby games, and broken legs and ankles at soccer: should we park an ambulance at every sports ground, playground and recreation ground now in case of injury? While that is not the suggestion in the above post (I know the sentiment is sincere) there are hand-waving outrage merchants who are happy to supply lawyers with business at the drop of a bidon... careful what you wish for.

Previous posters have stated that they have a 'no ambulance no race' policy and while sounds excellent, I doubt this refers to rural Ireland, where the sick/injured in general - never mind cycling- are devoid of a speedy service.

And also, there really needs to be a broad reminder that cycling in a bike race is essentially dangerous and we all have to accept that and try mitigate against disaster by riding responsibly. The evolving 'dangerisation' of life by emotive and influential voices is partly killing the joy and excitement in life generally, and is now migrating here to cycling racing.

I'm praying this will blow over soon, we continue with the current medical cover requirements, and perhaps CI could lobby (like most of the vested interests in the country) for a better resourced HSE including ambulance services for races and events. Otherwise its bye bye to road cycling- the snowflakes and lawyers will win.

Great Post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Is it true that one of the riders injured over the past number of weeks has gone down the legal route?

I heard this rumour too, not sure if true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

This x100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Folks,

Navan Road Club are holding the Beechmount Cup handicapped race on the 14th August - Link to entry is here - https://eventmaster.ie/event/VrdGUERTwv

Also on the following day there is the Collins Christie races for all categories on the 15th August - Link to entry is here - https://eventmaster.ie/event/lDJYSV8HPO

If anyone is interested in racing these, entries are now open. PLease spread the word also if you can. Many thanks. Burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

" There will be racing for categories on the day (A4/A3/JNR/A2/A1). 

The races will start at the following times:

A4 - Race Start at 9.30am - 4 Laps

All other categories will start at 12.30pm - 6 Laps"

What's not clear to me is are A1/2/3/JNR all in the same race ? Or how many concurrent races are running at 12:30 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

We will be running separate races for Juniors/A3, then other races for A2's and A1's. We may have to combine A1/A2 together if we don't have the numbers for separate races. These races will start at 12.30. most likely Junior/A3 off first then A1/A2 off after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Any info/news on the National Masters championships at all? I know the Olympics are happening but hardly a word about this lately. Don't want to criticise the promoting club-- its a huge ordeal running these events but the lack of publicity and results is notable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Entered Charleville earlier which wasn’t anywhere near my plans until last night. Been dealing with crap legs last while so better get those sorted ASAP!!

Should be fun as a one man team as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I'll see ya down there. Dealing with a chest infection after Newcastle west (negative PCR test so don't worry) so I'd imagine my legs might be the same if I manage to get back on the bike.

Have to source a TT bike as well actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Chest infection is my worst nightmare as it normally needs anti biotics and my body doesn’t take too well to them. Hopefully you’ll heal up soon.

Ah using a TT bike is easy, flat out road bike TT for me. See how I compare against my 2019 time & watts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same here, took me out for 5 days of my holiday, 2 negative PCR tests (one a close contact just as I went on holidays, one a few days later). I won't lie, I was certain the second one was coming back positive as it fairly knocked me. GP said it was viral and sweet FA to be done except rest up. Recovered and went symptom free just in time to get back to work. Still a bit drained so didn't go to Mondello or won't be riding the club league this week either. Looking at focusing on two races for the rest of the season, the Lucan Crits and the Ken Duff Memorial. Think my year will be over after that, not that it really ever got started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

So I missed the deadline last night for the Collins Christie, any chance of a late entry for A3?

• Advertisement
Advertisement