Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing season 21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cats out of the bag now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭wav1

Awkward ish for promoters but workable.
    Waves of 100 will allow for separate races on the day for the different categories but definitely with staggered start times and staggered finish times..
    Again akin to 2020 no presentation mandatory online entry no refreshments etc.
    It will rely on the riders more than anybody for it to work.
    Eh when race is finished go straight to your car and get out of there.no congregation on the road for post mortems etc as all of a sudden half an hour later another race is finishing and the riders from the previous race are still there..the wave of 100 includes scenarios like this and also in the car parks after..prizes can be distributed later on like last year..all not ideal but it will get us off the mark..hopefully there will be further guidance from government in a month or so to allow larger waves or gatherings which will help too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

daragh_ wrote: »
    Cats out of the bag now.
    It will be grand, either I am let up the road on my own after everyone else keeps looking at these two lads they heard about on the internet, or I continue my streak of A3 35th place finish
    wav1 wrote: »
    Awkward ish for promoters but workable.
    Waves of 100 will allow for separate races on the day for the different categories but definitely with staggered start times and staggered finish times..
    Again akin to 2020 no presentation mandatory online entry no refreshments etc.
    It will rely on the riders more than anybody for it to work.
    Eh when race is finished go straight to your car and get out of there.no congregation on the road for post mortems etc as all of a sudden half an hour later another race is finishing and the riders from the previous race are still there..the wave of 100 includes scenarios like this and also in the car parks after..prizes can be distributed later on like last year..all not ideal but it will get us off the mark..hopefully there will be further guidance from government in a month or so to allow larger waves or gatherings which will help too

So long as there is enough money generated to cover the cost for the organisers, I can see it working really well. I'd be in favour of scrapping monetary prizes for A4 or A3. If anyone is entering A4 or A3 races for monetary gain, they are in the wrong sport. Incredibly selfishly as soon as I seen the size of the A3 field in the first race I grabbed a ticket, I find a small field as very tempting. In the unlikely event I place, I don't want a prize, I want the organisers to see it as a financially sustainable thing to do. I'll cover the cost of getting my palmarès updated and printed in every major local and national newspaper.

For anyone looking for standalone womens race, Starsky are running a standalone womens race on the 7th June but only 8 entries so far. As its preentry only, I imagine they are going to need more signed up if its going to go ahead in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Has anyone got a file for last years ladies national course? Looking to ride with it on the trainer before racing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

dahat wrote: »
    Has anyone got a file for last years ladies national course? Looking to ride with it on the trainer before racing it.

Is that not the same lap that you raced in the A3 last year ? I was assuming it was but let me know if you find different

Anyone from here entered in the Starsky race?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone from here entered in the Starsky race?

Yep. Surface heading towards rathcoole, before windmill hill is fairly rubbish but aside from that, 6 times up that hill should be "fun".

I'd be delighted if I was A3 with only 30 riders.

Yep. Surface heading towards rathcoole, before windmill hill is fairly rubbish but aside from that, 6 times up that hill should be "fun".

I'd be delighted if I was A3 with only 30 riders.
    I'm over the moon, top 40 no matter what happens :pac: Going for a spin up there next week to give it a test run.
    Stupidly entered the Ronnie Coates as well, so looking forward to getting shot out the back on the first lap by the A2s.

Is that not the same lap that you raced in the A3 last year ? I was assuming it was but let me know if you find different

Hope not! Thought it was a different course as I didn’t like that at all but sure a race is a race.

Wave 2 is on the ladies national course form 2020 which isn’t what we raced last year. It looks like 500m over 82k from what I saw on Strava.

• Advertisement

The leinster road race calendar was more or less brought up to date last Friday..bit sparce at the beginning but not too bad..the online cycling Ireland calendar is more or less accurate now with possibly one or two more to add..
    Drogheda wheelers will promote
    Peter bidwell memorial sat July 24th
    Brendan Campbell memorial Sun Jul 25th
    Boyne gp Sunday August 1st

Boyne GP, that’s one for me.

Race entries will be like gold dust again though the pre entry system seems to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had to pull the plug on racing for at least the start of the season. Work changes mean I really can't afford to crash, and going in with that mindset is a recipe for crashing! Club league and then take it from there. Probably safer (for everyone) after a couple of years since my last open racing venture!

dahat wrote: »
    Boyne GP, that’s one for me.

Race entries will be like gold dust again though the pre entry system seems to work well.

Admittedly after the first two weekends, unless the race is near Wexford, I will only be doing the club league and Mondello series. Family is proving to be quite the negative in regards my career as an amateur racer.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Admittedly after the first two weekends, unless the race is near Wexford, I will only be doing the club league and Mondello series. Family is proving to be quite the negative in regards my career as an amateur racer.

Probably better off. I’ve yet to test the form as things are all quiet down south with no league races even. At this stage I’m still convinced I can win an A3 race so I’ll plug away with that false belief until I get fed up.

We will post here in plenty of time date and time that entries will open..restrictions will probably ease a bit more in July too.
    Dont know but after first few weeks demand may not be what we experienced last year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Any sign of a women's only race this year? We had 0 last year! I think the Women's Commission are offering financial help to run them this year.

eeeee wrote: »
    Any sign of a women's only race this year? We had 0 last year! I think the Women's Commission are offering financial help to run them this year.

Starsky have one so there is a starting point, going out for a spin a round the circuit tomorrow with a co worker, trying to convince her to sign up. Heard the training night for Corkagh went well tonight.

That was such a good idea, the training night. I did one a few years ago, I think it was before racing one night and I wasn't as late as I usually am :D

I can't do the Starsky race cos I'm helping out with the Masters track champs. I don't feel too bad about missing it now having seen how hilly it is :D

I think financial support is a great idea, even just enough to cover Comms and an ambulance would be a massive help and something CI centrally should push for a few years.

• Advertisement

Yep as far as I know the Women's Commission are doing that, they're getting in touch with clubs too about running women's races. We can't have a repeat of last year. I have high hopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

eeeee wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/newcastlewestwheelers

This looks like a women's only race to me... if the number sign up

----

The Michael Shiels & Darach McCarthy & Co. Solicitors Road Races will take place on June 20th. This event will be Round 1 of the Cycling Ireland National League. Entries are now open. Please note that the event will be run in three waves to comply with Govt. Guidelines. Entries will also be limited and will close on June 13th, which is one week in advance of the event. The event timetable is subject to change depending on entries. But our current plan is as follows:
    Ladies Senior & Junior: 8.30am start. 83km Entries limited to 50 riders.
    A4. Start 8.40am. 62km. Entries limited to 50 riders.
    A3. Start 11.00am. 83km. Entries limited to 65 riders.
    Juniors. Start 11.05am. 83km. Entries Limited to 35 riders.
    A1/2. Start 1.20pm. 137km. Entries limited to 120 riders.
    Wave 1 is Ladies and A4 races. (Combined Capacity of 100 riders)
    Wave 2 is A3 and Junior races. (Combined Capacity of 100 riders)
    Wave 3 is A1/2 races. (Combined capacity of 120 riders)
    We will work to ensure that all waves accommodate the full capacity. As an example, if we were only to receive 20 Male Junior Entries, we would increase the A3 field to 80 riders. That's IF!
    Our advice at this point is to enter early.
    After June 13th there will be no refunds.
    Wave 1 and 2 will use the Ladies circuit from the 2020 Nationals.
    Wave 3 will use the Men's circuit.
    All entrants will receive an email at least three days in advance of the event confirming their event start time and protocols surrounding parking etc.
    Online team car registration will open next week.
    Please visit the event website for more information: www.ncwwheelers.com.
    If you have any questions please email the race organiser.
    liamcollins@accountant.com

Deadly.

The raising of the numbers to 200 in the waves or bubbles announced yesterday is going to make things more workable and more riders can be accommodated if necessary too...all going well could be 500 by July 5th..Will be able to sell the spectator tickets again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Well done Starsky CC for running a great days racing on Monday.

Brutal course to start back racing on. Predictably I got a kicking in the Vets Race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

So my cycling club is holding a bike race dont ya know....

Ballivor Grand Prix 3rd July 2021, off at 7pm, handicapped race, link here to enter:

https://eventmaster.ie/event/vKQ5CPoSb4

Also the following races are upcoming:

10th July - Robinstown Grand Prix (Youth Races also)

31st July – Mount Nugent GP

14th August – Beechmount Cup

15th August – Collins Christie

I'll post up entry links/info for those when I get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

So another race that my club is holding: Robinstown Grand Prix on the 10th July 2021, link to the evenmaster page is as follows:

https://eventmaster.ie/event/b4dRh9AHjr

There are youth races also on that day from 4pm, should any parents of budding cyclists want to bring them too.

Thanks, Burger.

Anyone got a line with Fermoy CC? Trying to find out out if the gp for July 25th is going ahead this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Looks like Mondello is off until further notice.

• Advertisement

Road racing getting alot of heat on social media with images of rider upside on the road not helping. It also makes a change that is isn't the A4 lads at fault.

Is it possible the handicap field of A1/2/3 is too big?

Advertisement