Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Documentary recommendation thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Adam Curtis's 'Can't get you out of my head'. Which is mind blowing and very interesting. A six-part BBC documentary television series created by Adam Curtis. Links many cultural a political phenomena, individualism vs collectivism, attempts at change throughout history, nation branding, conspiracy theory, imperialism, power structures. The trailer isn't really self explanatory.

I liked this quote “the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.”

― David Graeber,

It's on iplayer and also available on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's a 12 hour series? Hmmm, hadn't realised it was that long.
    The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah 3 hrs in myself. Very long and detailed. Fascinating though.

Seems the guide I use had it as a 6 part series, Just had a look on Wikipedia and it's only a two part series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seems the guide I use had it as a 6 part series, Just had a look on Wikipedia and it's only a two part series.

Aha, thought there was 8 more hours to follow! Havent watched the last hour yet.

This looks good. Next on the list.

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork

Drops June 30th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

*sees that there is a new post in this thread*

:)

*sees that the recommendation is for another true crime documentary*

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭RichT

S.M.B. wrote: »
    *sees that there is a new post in this thread*

:)

*sees that the recommendation is for another true crime documentary*

:(

It's a recommendation for a documentary that I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for, after so many would have listened to the 'West Cork' podcast.

Perhaps start another thread entitled "Documentary recommendations (that S.M.B would be interested in) thread" and see how that goes for you.

Personally, I think there's a nice mix of recommendations in this thread.

Agreed, there has been a good spread posted here recently. It's actually a lot worse in the Podcast recommendations thread from what I remember.

Apologies if my post came across as some sort of policing of what should and should not be posted in here as opposed to a failed attempt at simply pointing out my own personal disinterest in what is a very popular sub genre of documentaries right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The silence of others 'El silencio de otros' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8099236/

It's available to rent on Vimeo for U.K Ireland https://vimeo.com/ondemand/silenceofothers

On netflix in the U.S / Spain.

'The Silence of Others reveals the epic struggle of victims of Spain's 40-year dictatorship under General Franco, who continue to seek justice to this day. Filmed over six years, the film follows the survivors as they organize the groundbreaking 'Argentine Lawsuit' and fight a state-imposed amnesia of crimes against humanity, and explores a country still divided four decades into democracy. Seven years in the making, The Silence of Others is the second documentary feature by Emmy-winning filmmakers Almudena Carracedo and Robert Bahar (Made in L.A.). It is being Executive Produced by Pedro Almodóvar, Agustín Almodóvar, and Esther García.'

One of the most memorable documentaries I've seen in recent years with really strong interviews with individuals effected by the aftermath of Franco's dictatorship and the legacy of the Pact of Forgetting and their attempt to have the truth recognised and to try to find catharsis. The Pact of Forgetting was a political decision (by both the leftist and rightist parties) to avoid dealing with the legacy of Francoism after the 1975 death of Francisco Franco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,097 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

cloudatlas wrote: »

The silence of others 'El silencio de otros' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8099236/

It's available to rent on Vimeo for U.K Ireland https://vimeo.com/ondemand/silenceofothers

On netflix in the U.S / Spain.

'The Silence of Others reveals the epic struggle of victims of Spain's 40-year dictatorship under General Franco, who continue to seek justice to this day. Filmed over six years, the film follows the survivors as they organize the groundbreaking 'Argentine Lawsuit' and fight a state-imposed amnesia of crimes against humanity, and explores a country still divided four decades into democracy. Seven years in the making, The Silence of Others is the second documentary feature by Emmy-winning filmmakers Almudena Carracedo and Robert Bahar (Made in L.A.). It is being Executive Produced by Pedro Almodóvar, Agustín Almodóvar, and Esther García.'

One of the most memorable documentaries I've seen in recent years with really strong interviews with individuals effected by the aftermath of Franco's dictatorship and the legacy of the Pact of Forgetting and their attempt to have the truth recognised and to try to find catharsis. The Pact of Forgetting was a political decision (by both the leftist and rightist parties) to avoid dealing with the legacy of Francoism after the 1975 death of Francisco Franco.

Really enjoyed it. The first documentary in a while that really hooked me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Max Mosley - It's Complicated, basically ignore every gutter press story about the man which took place completely consensually in his own private life. Some people like Snickers clothing and a hard hat of a Saturday night and are not led to the gallows, some prefer other 'stuff'. He likely has saved a few 100k lives around the world for his extensive campaigns on car safety, starting off in F1 and progressing in to car crash testing and onwards to this testing in basket case developing countries like India where there's 300 plus people dying a day on the roads. He was involved in the setup of Euro NCAP testing which benchmarks safety for cars sold in the EU today, cars like the Mini Metro which these NCAP tests exposed as complete death traps that were subsequently taken off the road. He said he would finance any of the News International phone hacking cases should any fail, took down Murdoch and Co at the time. Thank you Max for your service to automobiling and life, RIP.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just for the day that's in it the national geographic documentary, 9/11 one day in America is excellent.

6 episodes about 45 minutes each. Lots of footage I hadn't previously seem. Story well told.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

BBC have a top notch documentary available called a killing in tiger bay...it is terrific 3 episodes in total I would recommend going into it blind

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

Well worth a watch available on sky, only knew the basic about Theranos but this goes pretty in depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

The Last Mountain on iPlayer.

I love climbing docs, but this is one of the best I've seen.

M

Watched this over the last few nights, really enjoyed it. So many lives destroyed, you have to wonder how many other cases were like this, lots may never have seen justice. I'd never heard of this case growing up, not sure how much coverage it got on this side of the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Which player is this on, can't find it? Looked in RTE and BBC players.

I see it on the BBC iPlayer. I'm UK based though so not sure if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭lucalux

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Street Gang, from HBO. Dec 13. Sesame Street's own Youtube has 22 million subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PilotHole

Hotel Coolgardie,

Watched this last week,

I'd recommend it but its a very unconformable watch .

Would be interested to see some other opinions.

The Murders at Starved Rock from HBO. Dec 14. Tough going, by the look of it.

If you were of that age in the early 90's you more than likely had a copy of this.

Alanis didn't like how they portrayed her and refused to do any media for it.

Now I really liked it and I didn't think it showed her in a bad light in anyway quiet the opposite I though myself.

I failed to see exactly why Alanis felt so betrayed by the final edit to the extent that I'm very curious to hear where her issues lie. I'm assuming certain elements were given more weight than she'd have liked?

Overall I thought it was average enough to be honest. A little scattered I guess.

The Rescue on Disney+ is fantastic.

From Academy Award-winning filmmakers E. Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin, THE RESCUE chronicles the enthralling, against-all-odds story that transfixed the world in 2018: the daring rescue of twelve boys and their coach from deep inside a flooded cave in Northern Thailand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I m glad I watched it , but did nothing happen after that album , it just seem to not show anything else and briefly show her kids.

She does across good in it and very likeable so not sure why she didn't like how she was portrayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Not sure if I recommended it before but just noticed the terrific "next goal wins" is available on now TV.

It's about the American Samoa national football team who suffered the biggest defeat in international football (31-0 to Australia) it focuses a lot on a Dutch coach called Thomas Rongen who comes into coach them, really excellent imo

Worth watching before the Hollywood film version comes out, it has been long delayed (I am guessing due to Armie Hammer being in the cast - Michael Fassbender is the lead and it is directed by Taika Watiti)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Some of my favourites:

The Jinx

Making a Murderer (1st Series)

Don't F*ck With Cats

The Imposter

Searching For Sugar Man

The Inventor - Out For Blood In Silicon Valley

Touching The Void

My Octopus Teacher

Man On Wire

Anvil

Capturing The Friedmans

Going Clear

Grizzly Man

Two more Music Box doc's that both end the same way sadly for the both artists filmed over the last year of their lifes one at the height if his career and one trying to rebuild his.

Juice World Into the Abyss.

I can't say I knew him or his music and he died aged 21, However watching this he seemed a genuinely good and decent guy who had a lot of talent and sadly addiction got the best of him when the money came rolling in.

DMX Don't try to Understand.

DMX I did know and his music who died at 50.

Good list here. Varietys best docs of 2021.

https://variety.com/lists/2021-best-documentaries/

Some excellent stuff on there...I adored the truffle hunters doc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Watched "Slaying the badger" on Disney+ the other night......Great documentary about the 1986 tour de France battle between Greg la monde and Bernard hinault. A must for cycling fans

• Advertisement

The Puppet Master: Hunting The Ultimate Conman, coming on Jan 18. Very personal to those interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

The Man Who Bought Cricket, on Sky Documentaries is very good

You don't have to be into cricket

14 Peaks Nothing is Impossible.

An amazing doc on Netflix about Nirmal Purja who climbed all 14 of the worlds 8000 meters mountains in 7 months.

I would have gone to it and still would go if it was still operating.

Class Action Park

I watched this one on sky a while back it is very good fun!

I don't think I could deal with the broken limbs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Not sure if it's been said but I am a killer on Netflix is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I really liked this. It was a nice trip down memory lane with some great music. She came across as decent, grounded, humorous and brutally honest about herself without looking for any sympathies.

The Tinder Swindler, Feb 2. This might get the masses talking.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Sky Documentaries on NOW are so bad at highlighting new additions to the channel. I have to browse through their entire catalogue to identify recent releases.

I had no idea that there have been some major additions in recent weeks.

The entire Music Box series including the Alanis episode talked about above. I'm guessing that's why more people are discussing that episode lately.

Val, the Val Kilmer documentary, which is on Amazon Prime in the US but has now popped up here.

And the Hulu WeWork documentary is now available to view too.

These all seem like pretty high profile releases but even as someone who goes out of their way to try track this, I find the lack of visibility very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,097 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Now is just bad full stop when it comes to navigating the site

Problem solved. Just Watch have finally decided to split NOWs entertainment and cinema packages so all of a sudden I am no longer reliant on their own software. Turns out a few have been added to Sky Arts without me knowing too (David Byrnes American Utopia and The Painter and the Thief).

• Advertisement
Advertisement