Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary recommendation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Interesting platform.

On a semi-related note, I recently watched You Cannot Kill David Arquette and really enjoyed it. Knew very little about David Arquette's flirtation with professional wrestling, an area that I've very little interest in.

On Sky Documentaries, a channel that I have a lot of time for these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought The Ripper on Netflix was a decent watch.
    I remember it happening at the time, but provided some new info I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

NIMAN wrote: »
    I thought The Ripper on Netflix was a decent watch.
    I remember it happening at the time, but provided some new info I didn't know.

I really enjoyed that. I wasn't alive at the time and didn't even know it happened. I assumed it was Jack the Ripper that they were going to be talking about so was really confused at first. It was fascinating though

Watching it, I got to wondering could such a serial killer do the same things today and continue for so long without being caught?
    I would severely doubt it. Too many security cameras around, and I would guess the police now work a lot smarter.

I think the police came across as really incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watching it, I got to wondering could such a serial killer do the same things today and continue for so long without being caught?
    I would severely doubt it. Too many security cameras around, and I would guess the police now work a lot smarter.

There is 9 known active serial killers in the world at the moment.

https://serialkillershop.com/blogs/true-crime/9-current-serial-killers-still-at-large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'd like to think it couldn't happen today but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. They might not be able to do it exactly the same but people (ie murderers) are creative and unfortunately, we see what we want to see (bystanders).

The police definitely didn't come out of it looking great but I pity a lot of them because they were limited by what they could do at the time and what their orders were. I'm sure it was a rough time for everyone

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I'd like to think it couldn't happen today but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. They might not be able to do it exactly the same but people (ie murderers) are creative and unfortunately, we see what we want to see (bystanders).

The police definitely didn't come out of it looking great but I pity a lot of them because they were limited by what they could do at the time and what their orders were. I'm sure it was a rough time for everyone

Even hearing about the vast amount of paper cards they had with information on them, its easy to see how it was a rubbish system to carry out an investigation.

With technology now, the workload would be severely cut in man hours.

Having said that, they did question Sutcliffe a few times before he was formally charged. I remember thinking at the end of the show, when it was presented how he was finally caught, that it seemed a bit obvious and that they should have put 2 + 2 together quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Yorkshire Ripper Files - a very Britush Crime Story on BbC 4 was far superior to the Netflix series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

New free streaming service launched today Documentary+

How do you sign up for this?

Oliver Stone's alternative history of the USA is well worth watching. It's a ten parter and chronological from WWII up to Iraq so familiar stories but a more complete history where the US is clearly not always the white knight they make themselves out to be.

• Advertisement

Oliver Stone's alternative history of the USA is well worth watching. It's a ten parter and chronological from WWII up to Iraq so familiar stories but a more complete history where the US is clearly not always the white knight they make themselves out to be.

Sounds very interesting.

Where can you watch this?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

thegills wrote: »
    How do you sign up for this?

Ditto - can't find this anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sorry if it's been mentioned but McCullin about a top conflict photographer who covered everything from the fall of the Berlin wall to Vietnam, London homeless and the troubles.

Very interesting man with a tough upbringing who lucked into the job he ended up the world's best at and his musings on humans, life and his job are well worth listening to

Sounds very interesting.

It was on showtime. Someone gave me a.... recording

Sounds very interesting.

https://www.docplus.com/

A few haven't worked for me but not sure if that is a teething issue or a rights issue.

Says that there's iOS and android apps too but I can't find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Can I recommend SPYCRAFT on Netflix. Each episode covers different topics such as recruitment, surveillance, poisonings, sexpionage etc. It goes into some detail regarding topics like surveillance and probably one of the more interesting documentaries of its type I’ve seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

Boxing & the Mob, BBC 1 9pm tonight.
    Darragh McIntyre investigates the role of the alleged head of one of Europe's biggest drug cartels in the upcoming heavyweight title fight between Tyson Fury & Anthony Joshua

Kid 90

Soleil Moon Frye turned her home videos of growing up a child actor in the 80's & 90's and her friendships with other child actors.

It's on Hulu so should turn up on Star here I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

robwen wrote: »
    Lance, 2020 two-part documentary about the controversial Lance Armstrong, on BBC 2 HD tonight 10pm & BBC 2 SD 11.30pm

This is on RTE 2 tonight 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The dissident is on amazon prime.
    It is a terrific documentary about Jamal Khashoggi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sheering

If you're into the outdoors and nature, I would definitely recommend a doc called "Alone in the Wilderness." It's about a guy that moves to Alaska and builds a cabin and pretty much everything else he needs to survive and lives by himself for a number of years. I think he mainly filmed it himself (in the 60s so not high def or anything). It's very relaxing and enjoyable to watch. I've seen it a few times and like to revisit it once in a while.

Bbc iplayer has an absolutely brilliant doc
    Storyville - Collective Unravelling a scandal

Was on my radar and have only heard good things. Out of curiosity, do you remember if it's predominantly in English or subtitled?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Was on my radar and have only heard good things. Out of curiosity, do you remember if it's predominantly in English or subtitled?
    It is subtitled.
    An outstanding documentary.
    Two oscar noms and a bafta well deserved.

A 6 part doc that pretty much unmasks who is QAnon.

Q: Into the Storm
    Spanning three years in the making and traversing the globe, the series follows filmmaker Cullen Hoback on a labyrinthine journey to uncover the forces behind QAnon, a movement fueled by conspiracy theories that has grown in scope and political significance, chronicling its evolution in real-time and revealing how “Q” uses information warfare to game the internet, hijack politics and manipulate people’s thinking

Waiting for this to land on Sky Documentary. Assuming it will appear at some stage but no info yet from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wonder will some of the lads from the Boards current affairs/IMHO threads get a mention :)

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I wonder will some of the lads from the Boards current affairs/IMHO threads get a mention :)

He wasn't looking for the sheep ;)

He was chasing the Sheep Herder :p

Sky have the Tina Turner doc Tina available it's a really good watch. She was some performer, the live performances are electric!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A 6 part doc that pretty much unmasks who is QAnon.

Q: Into the Storm

Watched the first 3. Some good stuff in there but another 6 hour doc that should've been 90 minutes.

Advertisement