Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wait so games are on tonight ? One of these days I'll work it out from the start that the times on gamepass are local times and Friday 12am means games starting at 7pm Thursday US. I was happy because I was going to be able to watch the eagles game Friday night relaxing.

Well hopefully gamepass holds up with multiple games tonight at once. If it appears to hold up well tonight I might not feel as bad about giving them my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Here is one for Saturday night -

Case Keenum will start for the Broncos against his former Vikings

Trevor Siemian will lead the 2nd Vikings against his former Broncos

Kyle Stoler will lead the 3rd Vikings against his former Broncos

(the Broncos should have kept Stoler over Paxton Lynch last year - but hopefully this game will finally bury any suggestion that Lynch has a place on the Broncos roster - here is hoping Houston offer a conditional 7th rounder for him, just to get the $4.5million cap hit off the books).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Number 1 vs Number 2 pick in the draft face off tonight. Although I expect Mayfield to get far more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

Knex. wrote: »
    Number 1 vs Number 2 pick in the draft face off tonight. Although I expect Mayfield to get far more time.

He's expectected to get 2 quarters.

3 if the top 4 picks on the pitch tonight.

I'd be surprised if barkley touches the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Not the most comfortable looking exchange of words between Cam and Kelvin Benjamin tonight. Benjamin criticised Cam last week, said he was inaccurate and lacked knowledge.

https://twitter.com/MWalshMedia/status/1027678996190953479?s=19

• Advertisement

Cam went to shake his hand and Benjamin refused. What an asshat, when you consider Cam has been nothing but respectful to him.

Close up of it

https://imgur.com/a/aKCHDuw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Video here:

https://twitter.com/mwalshmedia/status/1027678996190953479?s=21

Pathetic enough from Benjamin who shat himself when Cam approached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wasters the both of them. Benjamin appears determined to scupper himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Not the most comfortable looking exchange of words between Cam and Kelvin Benjamin tonight. Benjamin criticised Cam last week, said he was inaccurate and lacked knowledge.

https://twitter.com/MWalshMedia/status/1027678996190953479?s=19

Cam should know a thing or two about walking away from difficult questions tbf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I don’t really watch NFL Network over the summer and I’m only seeing now that Heath Evans was fired by them

Praise the lord, was the worst football analyst around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jaysus. That's the type of thing that can really just sap any excitement you had about the new season as a Redskins fan.

One of the funniest from Training Camp

Broncos OC Bill Musgrave was asked about Paxton Lynch, Musgrave replied by calling Lynch 'Eight-play Paxton'. When Musgrave was pressed - he stated that Lynch used eight plays in college - and he still only knows the same eight plays. Musgrave then went on to say that Houston and Atlanta use those eight plays - talk about dropping a big hint for Lynch (but I suspect it went straight over Lynch's head).

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Jaysus. That's the type of thing that can really just sap any excitement you had about the new season as a Redskins fan.

Yeah, I’m fairly gutted about hearing this news. Not that the Redskins were gonna be contenders but he gave a bit of hope that the running game would have a bit of bite this year after years of nothing.

Redskins were battered by injuries last year. I honestly wouldn't have bet against them winning the NFC East. The talent is there.

This is a big blow, though. Must be super deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

One of the funniest from Training Camp

Broncos OC Bill Musgrave was asked about Paxton Lynch, Musgrave replied by calling Lynch 'Eight-play Paxton'. When Musgrave was pressed - he stated that Lynch used eight plays in college - and he still only knows the same eight plays. Musgrave then went on to say that Houston and Atlanta use those eight plays - talk about dropping a big hint for Lynch (but I suspect it went straight over Lynch's head).

I doubt that would endear him (Musgrave) much to the rest of the Bronco's players. Lynch is still their teammate after all. I personally don't like a coach slighting a player, who has done pretty much nothing wrong except for being a first round reach by the team. If they've had him for going on 3 years and he only knows 8 plays, that's on the coaching/management as much as the player imo.

I doubt that would endear him (Musgrave) much to the rest of the Bronco's players. Lynch is still their teammate after all. I personally don't like a coach slighting a player, who has done pretty much nothing wrong except for being a first round reach by the team. If they've had him for going on 3 years and he only knows 8 plays, that's on the coaching/management as much as the player imo.

The Broncos players can't stand Lynch - he is a waste of space and they know it. He rarely interacts with other players and makes no effort to improve. The guy has regressed since he was in college and is doing nothing to redress the decline. Over the past two years he has been beaten out by a 7th round pick - and this year he is being embarrassed by another 7th rounder who hasn't played any football in 18 months.

Musgrave's comments are a sign of the frustration of the coaches and the players with the fact that Lynch has done nothing and shown nothing in training camp - Musgrave is smart and he wouldn't have made the comments unless they reflected the general feeling inside the Broncos. He is doing what needs to be done - calling out Lynch for not making an effort. In the same interview Musgrave said 'Chad Kelly has made tremendous strides - he makes mistakes but he is learning from those mistakes' - the players rally around Kelly because they know he will do his best to improve. Musgrave repeatedly spoke about other players on the offence having 'desire and drive' - not something that is ever said about Lynch.

Joseph hasn't come out and said the same thing - but it is easy to read between the lines. 'How is Paxton doing?' - 'oh his footwork is improving' - 'how is Chad doing?' - 'he's young, he's raw - but he is a playmaker'.

The downside is the the Broncos are stuck with him for another year unless Elway can find someone to take him off their hands - or he is willing to eat the €4.5million dead money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Anyone know if sky sports repeating hard knocks episode 1? Their TV listings is not user friendly

Deco99 wrote: »
    Anyone know if sky sports repeating hard knocks episode 1? Their TV listings is not user friendly

It’s available on Catch Up anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Has it appeared on Game Pass yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

It’s available on Catch Up anyway.

Thanks, I spotted but for some reason on sky go app I can't watch that.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Has it appeared on Game Pass yet?
    Yes. It was there Thursday night.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yes. It was there Thursday night.

That's my next hour sorted so.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's my next hour sorted so.

I didn't think they came across that well. I mean hue Jackson doesn't anyway.

Well to be fair,
    his brother and mother both just died within a few weeks of each other.

Well to be fair,
    his brother and mother both just died within a few weeks of each other.

Ah yeah fair enough but I meant outside that and him trying to be in control. Swearing doesn't mean you're automatically respected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I thought he came across well in it. Seems to be well liked by Coaches and players alike.

Whole thing looked more fake than ever this year I thought.

• Advertisement

Hue seems like a really nice guy, but man, he’s completely out of his depth as a head coach.

https://twitter.com/espnnfl/status/1028827249280278528?s=21

That’s a punishment apparently. Giving a rookie a chance to put more reps on tape to make a team either there or somewhere else and thus potentially increase his earning potential too.

Haley will end up being their head coach by about week 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Amateur hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

skysports-nfl-live-fixtures_4388946.jpg?20180813160907

It's so close you can almost taste it.

Can't wait to watch Redzone again. Hands down the best entertainment out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

skysports-nfl-live-fixtures_4388946.jpg?20180813160907
    Have tickets for that Raiders game. Had a weekend in SF booked for a wedding, only hope of catching a game was if one of SF/Oakland got shifted to MNF. Got lucky

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Literally 6 hours of pure entertainment. Stock up on treats for the evening. Fire up boards and away ya go.

• Advertisement

I still maintain the best way to introduce anybody to NFL is to have them tune into the last 30 minutes of the 6pm games on Redzone.

Wow, what a catch. This guy is still in high school but very highly rated.

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1029200616340508674?s=19

Pulled it back through his legs? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

How much of a bust has Paxton Lynch been, wonder if he will ever sort it out.

Early days yet but my word he's been a flop.
    Chad Kelly overtaking him on the depth chart is another to the list of QBs he's failed to beat in pre-season.

Trevor Siemian - 7th rounder
    Brock Osweiler - 2nd rounder
    Case Keenum - Undrafted
    Chad Kelly - 7th rounder

I know most are better than their round, especially Chad Kelly who I have high hopes for, but my lord. Potentially going from 1st round pick to cut in the space of 3 years, and the only QB he's really fought off is Mark Sanchez.

Adamocovic wrote: »

Chad Kelly overtaking him on the depth chart is another to the list of QBs he's failed to beat in pre-season.

Case Keenum - Undrafted
    Chad Kelly - 7th rounder

I know most are better than their round, especially Chad Kelly who I have high hopes for, but my lord. Potentially going from 1st round pick to cut in the space of 3 years, and the only QB he's really fought off is Mark Sanchez.

And to think that the Cowboys were desperate to get him and were gutted when they ended up with Dak instead.

It’s crazy how much success can often be put down to pure luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rob-gronkowski-hasn-apos-t-181000749.html

short but interesting article on Gronk and his money

A flop is putting it mildly - he's done.

When he was demoted to the 3rd team on Monday he apparently asked Joseph why? - duh - you suck.

When he was demoted to the 3rd team on Monday he apparently asked Joseph why? - duh - you suck.

The quote from Joseph is gas.
    “He is upset and he didn’t like it, He wants to know why and he’s got to play better. It’s as simple as that.
    It’s a competition, okay? It’s the league. Everyone is doing this. Nobody is not playing their best players. It’s really more about Chad. Chad has competed and Chad’s played well. If Chad hadn’t played well, Paxton is still the No. 2. It’s really more about what Chad has done from the spring to now.”
    – Vance Joseph

Also Jalen Ramsey fairly ran his mouth off at all the QBs in the league!

http://foolprooffootball.com/2018/08/15/jalen-ramseys-qb-verdicts/

Absolutely gas how he didn't really know about Ryan Tannehill! The weirdest part is based off his interview he wasn't pushed for the opinions on all QBs decided to just round off as many as he could think of.

Got to Dolphins and asked who their QB was, before saying he didn't know enough about Tannehill but hasn't heard good things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Ramsey is going out with Golden Tate's sister which makes this a bit funnier.

https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1029790085594664960?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Case Keenum - Undrafted
    Chad Kelly - 7th rounder

Thank God.

After watching Chad's performance v the Vikings I was praying we would just accept that Lynch is FINALLY done.

What's Kelly's contract sitch? And has he been keeping his nose clean of late?

Thank God.

After watching Chad's performance v the Vikings I was praying we would just accept that Lynch is FINALLY done.

What's Kelly's contract sitch? And has he been keeping his nose clean of late?

Kelly is contracted for 3 more years for about $600k a year - and he has been working his butt off by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kelly is contracted for 3 more years for about $600k a year - and he has been working his butt off by all accounts.

Aye. I was just hoping I hadn't missed anything about his behaviour.

I'm hoping we don't pursue another QB the way Elway is talking. By all means get a "just-in-case" 3rd guy to replace Lynch but start putting the faith and future in Chad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how the bears starters get on in this broncos game. Obviously the actual results of preseason games don't matter since a lot of the scores are when a bunch of future insurance salesmen are on the field, but in my experience the starters performance in preseason is pretty indicative of how they'll be in the regular season. On that note, trubisky needs to be showing major progress, as he was not great so far when in the field. Kevin White, who we thought was just an initial bust, is now looking like a simple bust, full stop, and he will be lucky if he even makes the roster. Huge disappointment.

And first game for roquan Smith. I'm excited. He's going to have to shine pretty quickly after a holdout like that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

This new NFL rule for dropping your head is going be a disaster. As much as I agree they need to curb leading with the head but going to be so many flags thrown at defenders when they couldn't avoid the hit. RBs lowering their heads first is going to lead with defenders getting caught out. Eagles Pats game perfect form tackle by Eagles defender and Gillislee drops his head late and contact made. Not the Eagles player fault at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement