Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is a truly amazing piece of art I can't believe there is only episode left this season It will be a long year waiting for season two.

If this show and cast do not clean up at the award shows over the coming twelve months it's a total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I've only seen two episodes so far, it seems very visually appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Flawless season so far and with just the one episode to go, I'm expecting it to be a cracking finale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great show. Really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sees DUP in the UK.
    Watches handmaid's tale...
    Worries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

watching on Ch4 pace so on 3rd episode -
    can anyone explain what Operation they gave to Ofglen - she can still have a child I gather but not sure what exactly they did to her ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

whatever76 wrote: »
    watching on Ch4 pace so on 3rd episode -
    can anyone explain what Operation they gave to Ofglen - she can still have a child I gather but not sure what exactly they did to her ?
    The operation on Ofglen was FGM.

mzungu wrote: »
    The operation on Ofglen was FGM.

:rolleyes: - doh!! thanks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Awful :(
    I guessed by what The Matron said to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This doesn't look very exciting. It seems like one of those "sci-fi" things, where the story is set in the future or alternate timeline, but it somehow resembles a period in our history. It looks downbeat and depressing, based on flicking through the episodes, not the trailer. Does this series have any "oomph"?

The lead, Elisabeth Moss, doesn't impress me. I don't remember really liking anything with her in it. Maybe, The One I Love (2014), I guess.
    On the contrary, it takes "stuff that happens to (other, foreign) people today, and places it in the context of 'what if that happened to us'" It's powerful stuff, and brilliantly handled.

It's not alternate timeline. It's alternate geography.

• Advertisement

Awful :(
    I guessed by what The Matron said to her.

I know - frightening !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

thanks guys - was looking for something decent to binge on..now I know where to go.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

thanks guys - was looking for something decent to binge on..now I know where to go.

If u wait til tomorrow you'll have all 10 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

I saw the film version years ago, the one with Natasha Richardson, and thought it was really good. The series is excellent too, and very unsettling. I didn't find the film as unsettling, and I don't think that's all down to how well it's made (although, that is a big part of it - the music in the series is great and very atmospheric, for example), but some of it is pertinent to the times we are living in. You'd almost think it could happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

whatever99 wrote: »
    but some of it is pertinent to the times we are living in. You'd almost think it could happen!!

That's the thing about it, to me I can see how we get from where we are as a society now, to the situation in the show. It doesn't seem too far off and dystopian to me, it seems maybe like an alternate timeline for our world!!

Just finished the season and I think that might just be the most perfect start to finish season of TV I have ever watched an amazing job done by all involved.

From the acting to the soundtrack to the directing I don't think I can find a single fault in any episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, fantastic series and faithful adaptation while building on the novel... Can't wait for Season 2 where I'll be completely in the dark, having no source material beyond this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

The final episode was absolutely brilliant. So tense yet satisfying at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It doesn't seem too far off and dystopian to me, it seems maybe like an alternate timeline for our world!!

Atwood herself refers to THM as speculative rather than dystopian fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finished. Season was done well.

Notable mention to Episode 3 for shock value ending.

Top episode that got me in the feels was 7. The one with this song at the end:

Overall, the setup.. (I'm guessing was based on the literature).. was alright. Though it might be a sign I've watched a lot of dystopian stuff in that I thought some of the world building could've been stronger.

Final episode:
    I was looking at the act of rebellion and thinking: NOT GOOD NOT GOOD!

Like.. either Aunt Lydia would be made an example of .. or they'd slowly torture Janine until someone killed her. Cos of that I was all like.. someone just do a mercy killing.

Anyway then the ending eased up on that idea as I'm thinking we won't see what happened to them and instead we'll get to see more of the world (probably more bad stuff). Saying that though.. they could do a Horror reveal later to have a big impact reveal of what happened to the Janine and the group who wouldn't stone her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just finished. The best tv series Ive ever watched hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, just finished it there too. Can't think of any tv show that had a better first season.

Alexis Bledel
    will be returning as a series regular for season 2.

Well, I can't imagine how dark that could go. I can make a few guesses though!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just finished it there, having watched it over the last few weeks. It was excellent, far better than I thought it would be and, come those TV awards, easily my pick for Best New Show (and hopefully can throw in a vote for Moss too).

The cast was very strong, hitting some real lump-in-throat moments. Moss, who I'm a fan of, has done her strongest work here. The scene in the finale when she sees her daughter and goes from sadness to fury at Serena was as good as any I've seen this year.

I think the manner in which it's filmed really helped - great soundtrack and a sort of edgy camera work that really grounded it. It made it feel all too plausible. Downbeat for the most part sure, but there's always that glimmer of hope.

Margaret Atwood herself wants Drake to have a cameo in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

I have a query about episode 5 - faithful.. why did Offred initiate getting it on with Nick? Did I miss something?
    Please no spoilers for future episodes as I am watching behind time
    thanks

sporina wrote: »
    I have a query about episode 5 - faithful.. why did Offred initiate getting it on with Nick? Did I miss something?
    Please no spoilers for future episodes as I am watching behind time
    thanks

At this point in the show, my thinking had been one or a combination of:
    - She saw his gun. Working access to the gun seemed a good idea as it would give her a lot of options for action.
    - She wanted to exercise some control over her life given she was now a prisioner in most other aspects of her life.
    - She wanted to exercise some control over Nick and thought he might bond with her through sex.
    - She wanted sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Slydice wrote: »
    At this point in the show, my thinking had been one or a combination of:
    - She saw his gun. Working access to the gun seemed a good idea as it would give her a lot of options for action.
    - She wanted to exercise some control over her life given she was now a prisioner in most other aspects of her life.
    - She wanted to exercise some control over Nick and thought he might bond with her through sex.
    - She wanted sex.

ok...

thanks..

but does anyone actually know the answer for defo? i have the feeling that i (we) missed something

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    ok...

thanks..

but does anyone actually know the answer for defo? i have the feeling that i (we) missed something

Do you want to know about future episodes?:)

Advertisement