Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

wakka12 wrote: »
    Just fertile women who committed 'crimes' become handmaids, moira and ofglen were gay, june had a baby out of wedlock I guess was her crime or was it because she was sleeping with the guy who had a wife?
    The Econowife character called June an adulturer, I think, though she might have been guessing/assuming, and perhaps they might have used the word 'adultery' more broadly to include fornication(?)
    I also thought all fertile women became handmaids up until last episode, I thought fertile women were very rare because in that episode the mexican embassador says her city hasnt had a live birth in a few years or something, but must not be that rare if theres plenty of normal women who can have babies
    Probably not plenty, though
    Actually, looking up http://the-handmaids-tale.wikia.com/wiki/Econowife now, it seems that since she was fertile, she might indeed have been under threat of being recruited as a Handmaiden...maybe she has to be very very good & reigious

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBpmXhtyaew
    Promo for next week, in the trailer the commander is giving nick a wife, I have no doubt there is some kind of evil motive behind it and its not kindness for his service[/quote]

Any chance of a spoiler on further promos. Prefer to know nothing going into the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,893 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

^^
    Any chance you can put a spoiler around what you have written about next week's episode please.

You have just ruined next weeks episode for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sure I will from now on. Promos are only 30 seconds long and not considered spoilers to the majority of people though so you cant expect that.

All promos give away spoilers that's why the most in the forum class them as spoilers.

Spoilers are classed as anything from future episodes including trailers.

Well I dont believe a television channel would release info that the majority of people would believe to be 'spoiling' a show so I guess I just disagree with that.

So you don't think what you posted there and ruined the next episode for a lot on here is a major spoiler because it was given away by television channel in a promo?

yes exactly, nobody likes having a show spoiled so if it was widely considered to be spoiling the show then promos wouldnt be widely viewed, theyre just teasers. I watched and it didnt ruin it for me, or presumably the several people who thanked the post. So obviously its spoiler for some and not for others. I didnt know anyone considered promos spoilers, so as I said Ill put it in spoiler in future. People regularly post trailers and discuss them in OP's for shows and movies and Ive not seen anyone ask it to be spoiler tagged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well, this one.

Well.

For the next one.
    June has gotta get outta there pronto.

That work camp looks like it kills very fast. Just steps away from concentration camps with gas chambers. Maybe a riot or just a run for it attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Bit of a nothing episode tbh.

• Advertisement

^^
    Any chance you can put a spoiler around what you have written about next week's episode please.

You have just ruined next weeks episode for me.

Sorry about that - I quoted the bit that I hadn't wanted to see myself!!! Sorry!

I never watch the trailers. Didn't mean to open a debate. Just prefer to watch the show with zero information apart from previous episodes.

Blessed Be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its Thursday .

Blessed be !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ulp - I'm feeling claustrophobic already :P

Blessed be the papaya

Yes Mrs Watterford (Praise be the bitch)

Credit to the actresses who play Mrs waterford and Aunt Lydia, its almost hard to believe their characters arent real existing people

I though it was very slow moving tonight , a lot of nothing happened
    Does anyone know what exactly they are doing in the colonies ? What are they digging and for what purpose ?

Just seems like a concentration camp.Doubt there is any economic benefit to what theyre doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

It's scrubbing the top layer of soil that has been contaminated by radiation from bomb strikes. It's an impractical way to do it, but that's the purported end goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Fred is a horndog and wants to engage in adultery without having to make the long drive out to Jezebel's every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

neonsofa wrote: »
    Can I ask, does anyone know, the couple that she stayed with (hid in their house), she mentioned something about they played their cards right and were able to live like that as a result... Is it that June was a "fallen women" due to the affair and not being married (?) and that's how she became a handmaid? I thought all fertile women became one. I was confused how the family were allowed live happily. Is it because they were married?

Not all fertile women are handmaids. Some are Econowives, married to men of low rank. It's not clear how you end up in one category or the other but you could be right that being a handmaid was a punishment for adultery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

wakka12 wrote: »
    Just seems like a concentration camp.Doubt there is any economic benefit to what theyre doing

I think that it is has something to do with making the earth fertile again as it was destroyed by pesticides etc.

But I could have just dreamt that :D

Janine made me laugh with her comment "cows don't get married" :D

I think that it is has something to do with making the earth fertile again as it was destroyed by pesticides etc.

But I could have just dreamt that :D

Janine made me laugh with her comment "cows don't get married" :D

I presume the tooth falling out was significant also . Something in the water must be toxic and destroying their teeth .

I hate saying this because Elizabeth Moss is an incredible actress but I think production linger too long on her face . Sometimes it can be a tad repetitive to see Offreds pained expression for what seems like minutes at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I only watched the episode this morning as I was too tired last night to watch it.

Was heading out after this morning and a young guy said "Good morning".

It was on my tongue to reply "Blessed day".

I really should have just to see his reaction :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm nearly out on this series. It's so forlorn. I didn't even watch Thursday's episode until yesterday. Kept putting it off in favour of more enjoyable stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

pinkypinky wrote:
    I'm nearly out on this series. It's so forlorn. I didn't even watch Thursday's episode until yesterday. Kept putting it off in favour of more enjoyable stuff.

Am also finding this series hard going.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I presume the tooth falling out was significant also . Something in the water must be toxic and destroying their teeth .

Scurvy from inadequate diet was what I thought it was. That would have been one of many diseases that was rife in concentration camps during the war due to extreme malnutrition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just finished the book, the series really is remarkably close to the source material despite it's updating of and lengthening of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

They said it a few episodes ago that the water is contaminated through the toxic waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Where did the toxic waste that they are clearing come from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

The Waterford's short flashback story this week was really good and explains a lot.

I would happily now see a couple of episodes without June and have a few flashback episodes on the building of Gilead and exploring Gilead as it is now.

Also WOW WOW WOW That ending!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

They said it a few episodes ago that the water is contaminated through the toxic waste.

Radiation poisioning

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

The Waterford's short flashback story this week was really good and explains a lot.

I would happily now see a couple of episodes without June and have a few flashback episodes on the building of Gilead and exploring Gilead as it is now.

Where did you see the episode?

Yeah I agree. I have enough of June now for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Robyn_14 wrote: »
    Where did you see the episode?

Yes, where did you see it. I know it came out in the U.S. last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Great episode. Slow (but not boring) to start and ends on a big finish. Can't wait to see what happens next.

(And what an episode to air just ahead of the referendum!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yup that was an unbelievable ending, its like where da phuck did that come from and some kickass rock n roll.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I will have a cushion ready and remote in my hand tonight. I can't watch the torture or evilness .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hope I don't seem thick - but how does one watch season one of this legally in the ROI?

• Advertisement

Hope I don't seem thick - but how does one watch season one of this legally in the ROI?

Looks like the box set is available on Amazon UK now

Ending gave me goosbumps ! Wish there was a bit more excitement this season , the season has generally been slow, but not boring as another poster said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

RTE are showing it on Thursday nights.

iguana wrote: »
    RTE are showing it on Thursday nights.

No its season two on RTE now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Looks like the box set is available on Amazon UK now

It is indeedy, seems to be the only option. Has anyone seen the boxset in bricks and mortar shops also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It is indeedy, seems to be the only option. Has anyone seen the boxset in bricks and mortar shops also?

Maybe try tower records (top floor) above easons on O'Connell street. It's on their online site:
    https://www.towerrecords.ie/product/HANDMAIDSTALESEASON1[DVD]/744134

We have been sent good weather!

So conflicted with the ending. Will this help her or halt the little help that was coming her way!!! If the commander is dead then Serena is left in a stronger position, but then again, will that be tolerated in this society.
    I think the slowness and the tension reflect the plight of the handmaids. It engages with their process and females in general. Reflects their lack of power and ability to make things happen - on the surface at least!

Sorry for the ramblings!!!

Under his eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Great use of 'Oh Bondage, Up Yours' by X-Ray Spex in the end titles.

I was just rewatching that ending
    and you think all the handmaids escape by running away but I realised you can still see all the handmaids on the first floor gallery level who didnt have a chance to escape and are all sent flying back and crack the glass :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Then again this episodes ending could be a fantasy dream sequence of one of the handmaids too.
    Where did Ofglen get the detonator, how could she have constructed the bomb, did she get help from one of the Guardians or what.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement