Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, that's amongst your small peer group. Step outside and you'll meet people that would shun Dundrum for Balbriggan, I've a friend that's a semi pro waterspouts athlete that's just bought there. He's not Irish and is unaware of the nuances and postal code snobbery.

He'd prefer a more reasonably priced coastal house one million times more than an inland house close to a shopping centre.

"Foreign person unfamiliar with Balbriggan willing to live in Balbriggan"

And if his budget stretched to Malahide or Blackrock I'm sure hed pick Balbriggan every time :lol:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Ashtown

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Thanks everyone for the replies. It’s really helpful to get so many perspectives & area suggestions.

I have a couple of friends who live in Balbriggan, so I know it a little. They really like it and haven’t had any problems, but I wouldn’t spend half a million on a house there. For us it’s just too far from Dublin City and there is an anti-social element (which, of course, you get in some parts of South Dublin & West Dublin too.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Orchids wrote: »
    Hiya

Have a look at Ballinteer, Dundrum, Churchtown & Balally areas
    luas goes close by
    close to m50
    Lots of schools, parks, shopping
    Have a look at the property price register for those areas to get an idea of prices
    I moved to Dundrum - Barton Road side over 20 years ago & thankfully never experienced any anti social behaviour.
    Good luck

I'd second that, just bought in the area for less than your budget last year and the kids (and ourselves) are loving it. Great parks, shops, schools, the M50 and the mountains nearby!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

luketitz wrote: »
    I'd second that, just bought in the area for less than your budget last year and the kids (and ourselves) are loving it. Great parks, shops, schools, the M50 and the mountains nearby!

Thanks we had a drive around Ballinteer yesterday & really liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    "Foreign person unfamiliar with Balbriggan willing to live in Balbriggan"

Who told you that? Where did you read it? My friend who happens to be foreign was very familiar with Balbriggan before he moved in. I said he was unaware of the nuances and postal code snobbery that the likes of yourself suffers from.
    M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    And if his budget stretched to Malahide or Blackrock I'm sure hed pick Balbriggan every time :lol:

He actually sold one of his properties in Malahide to buy in Balbriggan. Don't assume because he's foreign he's poor Murphy! He owns three shops in Dublin and has a few properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Who told you that? Where did you read it? My friend who happens to be foreign was very familiar with Balbriggan before he moved in. I said he was unaware of the nuances and postal code snobbery that the likes of yourself suffers from.

He actually sold one of his properties in Malahide to buy in Balbriggan. Don't assume because he's foreign he's poor Murphy! He owns three shops in Dublin and has a few properties.

Do you know many people who did that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Can we drop the obsession with Balbriggan?

It's not relevant on this thread

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Glasnevin / Old finglas. Around wadelei and glasnevin avenue specifically

Loads of busses, close to shops, botanic gardens, sea is only 15 mins away by car, city centre is 20-25 min cycle, loads of good schools and sports facilities, it's a very settled area. Phibsboro is only a few mins away too. Metro North will eventually come this way

Houses tend to need work, but most have massive gardens it seems and the area is not going to see huge change in terms of building .

We looked at donabate, and then looked at the plans for donabate. 1000s more homes going there, but no infrastructure to match it yet so we backed off. Great houses though but we didn't want a postage stamp garden which is the compromise with new builds

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Glasnevin / Old finglas. Around wadelei and glasnevin avenue specifically

Loads of busses, close to shops, botanic gardens, sea is only 15 mins away by car, city centre is 20-25 min cycle, loads of good schools and sports facilities, it's a very settled area. Phibsboro is only a few mins away too. Metro North will eventually come this way

Houses tend to need work, but most have massive gardens it seems and the area is not going to see huge change in terms of building .

We looked at donabate, and then looked at the plans for donabate. 1000s more homes going there, but no infrastructure to match it yet so we backed off. Great houses though but we didn't want a postage stamp garden which is the compromise with new builds

Donabate is a lovely place where I have relatiuves that I visit often, but you can see the shine going off it over the last few years alright.

And if commuting from Donabate it is always a nightmare coming up to the M50 in the mornings. Only going to get worse.

OP someone told me once that when thinking about an area to go and live in, think about what yourself and your mates used to get up to when you were teenagers. Then think that when your kids are teenagers is there potential fo0r them to get up to worse in the area you move to :)

In other words, Are you comfortable with your kids being teenagers (with all the influences for that age group out there) in the area you wish to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭derekgine3

Balbriggan is not a popular choice for house hunters. I know people on here living there so I am not surprised with the getting the backs up replies.
    Balbriggan hasn't a great rep , you have the anti social behavior , distance to the city and not forgetting Pyrite. This feeds into the pricing and yes price and popularity are interlinked.

Avoid Balbriggan and Hollystown/Tyyrelstown at all costs. Will be the worst areas in Ireland within a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I never said foreign = poor. Dont put words in my mouth. I assumed someone (anyone) who wanted to live on the coast and picked balbriggan did so because their budget didnt stretch to somewhere decent on the coast like malahide.

If you say you know wealthy business owners that live their deliberately then I have no choice but to believe you. But the price of houses there indicates what the rest of the house hunting population think of it ie it's a kip.

Anyway, last thing I'll say on the issue as the OP sensibly hadnt indicated any desire to look there so this is off topic now.

derekgine3 wrote: »
    Avoid Balbriggan and Hollystown/Tyyrelstown at all costs. Will be the worst areas in Ireland within a generation.

Why do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

dubrov wrote: »
    Can we drop the obsession with Balbriggan?

It's not relevant on this thread

Repeating for emphasis. It's no use to the OP, stop bringing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

We had a smaller budget but had similar priorities. End up buying a place in Fairways Estate, Dublin 11. It's technically Finglas East but the location is great. Johnstown Park has a lot to offer. Glasnevin and Philsboro are very very close. Great schools and community feel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They won't be, there are far worse places. And there always will be.

When they started building lots of houses in Hollystown 20 years ago ,they were gorgeous big 4 Beds (Hollystown Demense,Hollystown park) aimed at families. They are gorgeous houses with huge gardens and aimed at people with cars who like to drive. It was full of young professionals and was a really nice place to live if you could deal with having nothing within walking distance except the garage and golf club .
    Personally my parents loved it but I would never live there,I need local amenities.I need to be able to walk places.

Balbriggan is mixed, I bought my 1st house there because it was on the train line to work ,within the Dublin area for commuting ,near the motorway and a lovely place compared to other places I could have afforded. When it was time to buy a bigger house we decided to leave Balbriggan.

I am not a fan of Tyrrelstown but that is personal preference for public transport and local amenities which it did not have when I was buying.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They won't be, there are far worse places. And there always will be.

When they started building lots of houses in Hollystown 20 years ago ,they were gorgeous big 4 Beds (Hollystown Demense,Hollystown park) aimed at families. They are gorgeous houses with huge gardens and aimed at people with cars who like to drive. It was full of young professionals and was a really nice place to live if you could deal with having nothing within walking distance except the garage and golf club .
    Personally my parents loved it but I would never live there,I need local amenities.I need to be able to walk places.

Balbriggan is mixed, I bought my 1st house there because it was on the train line to work ,within the Dublin area for commuting ,near the motorway and a lovely place compared to other places I could have afforded. When it was time to buy a bigger house we decided to leave Balbriggan.

I am not a fan of Tyrrelstown but that is personal preference for public transport and local amenities which it did not have when I was buying.

I agree that Hollystown used to be a decent area but my opinion may have went over your head, it's not really too much got to do with proximity to amenities.

We all know the one commonality with these 3 areas, it's the biggest elephant in the room but if you bring it up the conversation gets shot down immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Leopardstown or stepaside for sure for that money. Lovely areas if you get the right estate. Raheny for the northside maybe or portmarnock.

• Advertisement

?

Hollystown Is being gentrified if anything.

fvp4 wrote: »
    ?

Hollystown Is being gentrified if anything.

Last time i checked gentrified didn't equate to 30% social housing with the majority being given to Direct Provision applicants.

I agree that Hollystown used to be a decent area but my opinion may have went over your head, it's not really too much got to do with proximity to amenities.

We all know the one commonality with these 3 areas, it's the biggest elephant in the room but if you bring it up the conversation gets shot down immediately.

What's the elephant?

Last time i checked gentrified didn't equate to 30% social housing with the majority being given to Direct Provision applicants.

Source? I googled the 30% and the only links I could see were that was general policy everywhere, and was affordable not social.

Your elephant is (probably) the african gangs or something. The gangs I see are all white.

Feets wrote: »
    Leopardstown or stepaside for sure for that money. Lovely areas if you get the right estate. Raheny for the northside maybe or portmarnock.

Portmarnock is going to be very sought after & desirable in less than a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Portmarnock is going to be very sought after & desirable in less than a decade.

Why? Just loads of gaffs and traffic with v little amenities. One of the worst coastal villages in Dublin IMO the layout is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ive two sisters living in Beaumont D9 , incredibly boring place but completely safe and you can buy a family home for a lot less than 550 k

perhaps an option , would not choose it myself but there is value there IMO

actually just realised the OP wants to be within walking distance of the sea so ignore the above

selassie wrote: »
    Why? Just loads of gaffs and traffic with v little amenities. One of the worst coastal villages in Dublin IMO the layout is atrocious.

You're right. But it will still be very sought after and desirable in a decade when the Tetris style amenities organically slot in to place to service the relatively wealthy and vocal communities. There's space for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Source? I googled the 30% and the only links I could see were that was general policy everywhere, and was affordable not social.

Your elephant is (probably) the african gangs or something. The gangs I see are all white.

Derek doesn't have any evidence. He's just a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

You're right. But it will still be very sought after and desirable in a decade when the Tetris style amenities organically slot in to place to service the relatively wealthy and vocal communities. There's space for it.

It should benefit greatly in the next few years from the fingal coastal way plans. It will be a focal point for the greenway from Skerries in the North to Sandycove in the South as it has arguably the best beach on the route. The amenities will follow with the increased tourism and housing. The council seems to be on a real drive to harness the full potential of the coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

What about this? It’s a three bed but the living space is decent.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-89-thomas-moore-road-walkinstown-dublin-12/3212711

I live in the area and it’s very settled and safe. There is a new educate together in Limekiln.

https://www.rvetns.ie/

Derek doesn't have any evidence. He's just a racist.

Ah yeah, i'm just racist for pointing out the fact that those gangs that cause destruction and embark on racist attacks throughout Balbriggan, Hollystown Tyrellstown, Clonee etc, are African. What else should i use to describe them?

If it was a bunch of Irish white youths doing the above i would describe them as such to the Gardai. Does that make me racist? I was actually engaged to a mixed race women.

You obviously have a vested interest in the area or so out of touch it's unreal. And before you question the sources below, yes, i know they are rags but i think if 2020 has taught use anything that the mainstream media is very selective with what it puts out. E.g BLM protests good, anti-lockdown protests BAD.

https://theliberal.ie/tyrrelstown-terror-local-residents-say-teenage-gangs-are-simply-out-of-control/

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tyrrelstown-residents-fight-back-against-12958624

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2048259/schoolboy-gangs-who-are-terrorising-west-dublin-locals-and-targeting-taxi-drivers-being-left-to-run-amok-by-gardai/

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2048259/schoolboy-gangs-who-are-terrorising-west-dublin-locals-and-targeting-taxi-drivers-being-left-to-run-amok-by-gardai/

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fears-mob-rule-north-dublin-14179739

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnROHCz-m9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_k9iARA_Y

Your neighbors in Hollystown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrli2t8m0Y

Ah yeah, i'm just racist for pointing out the fact that those gangs that cause destruction and embark on racist attacks throughout Balbriggan, Hollystown Tyrellstown, Clonee etc, are African. What else should i use to describe them?

If it was a bunch of Irish white youths doing the above i would describe them as such to the Gardai.

What should you describe gangs as? Just gangs. Unless you are describing someone as a witness to gardai, I don't see why you would need to point out the colour of someone's skin. Immaterial to their behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-89-thomas-moore-road-walkinstown-dublin-12/3212711

I live in the area and it’s very settled and safe. There is a new educate together in Limekiln.

I actually posted that a few pages back. Looks well but did you see the big yellow monster next door? I know the area well and would have no qualms about looking there when/if we eventually move back to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

If it was a bunch of Irish white youths doing the above i would describe them as such to the Gardai. Does that make me racist? I was actually engaged to a mixed race women.

You obviously have a vested interest in the area or so out of touch it's unreal. And before you question the sources below, yes, i know they are rags but i think if 2020 has taught use anything that the mainstream media is very selective with what it puts out. E.g BLM protests good, anti-lockdown protests BAD.

https://theliberal.ie/tyrrelstown-terror-local-residents-say-teenage-gangs-are-simply-out-of-control/

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tyrrelstown-residents-fight-back-against-12958624

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fears-mob-rule-north-dublin-14179739

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnROHCz-m9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_k9iARA_Y

Your neighbors in Hollystown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrli2t8m0Y

Good man Derek. We all know what you are... nothing but a racist. Meanwhile... the people who ACTUALLY live around here are living happy and contented lifes. Be on your way with your nonsence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

have a look at cairnbrook (private estate) in carrickmines,glenamuck road..lovely 3 bed gone up for sale there this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Avoid the Northsoide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Walkinstown????????

Why not just suggest deepest darkest Crumlin?

The OP wants somewhere NICE, SAFE, and by the sea. ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

Walkinstown????????

Walkinstown is grand. Don't think it fits the OP needs but It's certainly not Crumlin or what you are implying by 'deepest, darkest'. I don't live there nor from the area but know it reasonably well. It's very settled area generally. Don't know if I would buy a house there but I wouldn't make such a generalisation like that about the area or people from there.

Walkinstown is grand. Don't think it fits the OP needs but It's certainly not Crumlin or what you are implying by 'deepest, darkest'. I don't live there nor from the area but know it reasonably well. It's very settled area generally. Don't know if I would buy a house there but I wouldn't make such a generalisation like that about the area or people from there.

I would and have made these generalisations - and for good reason. I know the place.
    And if you wouldn’t buy a place there why recommend it to someone looking for recommendations?

head explodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Those camera lenses that the EAs use are really something else!

OP - Southside now - Daft - couple of houses in Glenageary and Bath Avenue 50k below your budget. Maybe for one or two the 50k could convert an attic for another room or add a small extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Walkinstown????????

Emm I live in Walkinstown. My road is super quiet, most of my neighbours are elderly and when the houses sell they sell to families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Walkinstown????????

By the sea was a wishlist.

I would feel safer in Walkinstown (or many parts of D. 12) than any of the "new" areas of D15 mentioned

I'm not going to talk down the schools as I don't know them. But very very settled and decent areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This thread is going for the record of having suggested every single area in Dublin

bilbot79 wrote: »
    This thread is going for the record of having suggested every single area in Dublin

despite the criteria of the OP!!!! Safe, nice, good area, good schools, half a million budget. Shame is half a million in this city could still see you spending 350k with a 100k renovation project & still be living in a ghetto or no go criminal gangland slum. This city has totally gone to the dogs. And the 10% rule has not helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Yep that’s part of the reason we are getting out of the city too, heading to Dun Laoghaire, off Patrick St. Nice quite area and super close to piers, sea & good transport links. Unfortunately I can’t really comment on the OPs post but buy the time we’re done building including the price of the site we’ll be somewhere near 500k .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Nozebleed wrote: »
    have a look at cairnbrook (private estate) in carrickmines,glenamuck road..lovely 3 bed gone up for sale there this week.

Stepaside and that side of the motorway are fine now but will be a disaster area when the kids are teenagers because there's due to be massive over development with little to no improvement in infrastructure. Glenamuck road is a traffic nightmare already by times.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

I would and have made these generalisations - and for good reason. I know the place.
    And if you wouldn’t buy a place there why recommend it to someone looking for recommendations?

head explodes.

So your poor head can't cope with some partial pieces of information? Bless.

No, you are talking through your hole. Walkinstown is grand. It's a regular area in Dublin. Certainly no worse than many places already talked about.

Also I didn't recommend it just pulled you up on ridiculous generalisation. I can have a personal preference for wherever I want or an opinion but it doesn't mean I would buy a house there. Stoneybatter, portobello, islandbridge, rathmines are all great places to live but I wouldn't buy a house these for personal reasons/circumstances.

Likewise, walkinstown doesn't suit or match my family housing needs but I like I said it's fine for lots of other people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement