Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options
  • 04-05-2021 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

We're a family of four moving to Dublin for work reasons. My husband and I have both lived in Dublin during college & in our twenties, but we're not very familiar with suburban neighbourhoods.

Our budget is €550,000 max. For that we'd need a new build or a house that was of a decent enough standard that you could move in and live in it for a few years before needing to invest in improving it. Realistically, we're probably looking at a second hand house for €500k.

Our wish list:
    * A safe area with no anti-social behaviour issues.
    * A minimum of three bedrooms, four would be brilliant, but we'd sacrifice a bedroom for a better location.
    * Near good primary and secondary schools. Educate Together or mixed primary ideally. A good co-ed secondary would be great, but not essential.
    * Decent garden (Enough space for the children to play and for us to sit out.)
    * Within walking distance of a park/ playground/ the sea
    * Within walking distance of good, reliable transport links. Would love to be 45 minutes or less (total journey) from the city.
    * Within walking distance of a shop for essentials & a coffee shop. We'll drive to the supermarket etc.

We're working in Citywest and North City Centre, but we both drive and won't have to go in every day, so that's not a huge consideration for us. Somewhere that was commutable from the City Centre, Citywest and Sandyford would be a bonus, but not essential.

There's very little available at the minute and I don't know Dublin well enough to distinguish somewhere that is too far out from somewhere further out but with decent transport links. I've been checking commute times, but don't think I can trust the times I'm getting at the moment, as I'm sure they'll change once more people are back on the road. I'm familiar with the luas lines and dart, but that's it for public transport. I've used the luas red line a bit (near the city) and have seen a few things that would make me want to avoid it, if possible, but maybe it's not so bad further out?

We've two young boys, so want somewhere that they would be safe walking home as teenagers. This is the most important issue for us - somewhere that they'll enjoy growing up, will make good friends and be safe.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated as we're a bit lost: so, where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550,000?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Molina wrote: »
    Hi,

We're a family of four moving to Dublin for work reasons. My husband and I have both lived in Dublin during college & in our twenties, but we're not very familiar with suburban neighbourhoods.

Our budget is €550,000 max. For that we'd need a new build or a house that was of a decent enough standard that you could move in and live in it for a few years before needing to invest in improving it. Realistically, we're probably looking at a second hand house for €500k.

Our wish list:
    * A safe area with no anti-social behaviour issues.
    * A minimum of three bedrooms, four would be brilliant, but we'd sacrifice a bedroom for a better location.
    * Near good primary and secondary schools. Educate Together or mixed primary ideally. A good co-ed secondary would be great, but not essential.
    * Decent garden (Enough space for the children to play and for us to sit out.)
    * Within walking distance of a park/ playground/ the sea
    * Within walking distance of good, reliable transport links. Would love to be 45 minutes or less (total journey) from the city.
    * Within walking distance of a shop for essentials & a coffee shop. We'll drive to the supermarket etc.

We're working in Citywest and North City Centre, but we both drive and won't have to go in every day, so that's not a huge consideration for us. Somewhere that was commutable from the City Centre, Citywest and Sandyford would be a bonus, but not essential.

There's very little available at the minute and I don't know Dublin well enough to distinguish somewhere that is too far out from somewhere further out but with decent transport links. I've been checking commute times, but don't think I can trust the times I'm getting at the moment, as I'm sure they'll change once more people are back on the road. I'm familiar with the luas lines and dart, but that's it for public transport. I've used the luas red line a bit (near the city) and have seen a few things that would make me want to avoid it, if possible, but maybe it's not so bad further out?

We've two young boys, so want somewhere that they would be safe walking home as teenagers. This is the most important issue for us - somewhere that they'll enjoy growing up, will make good friends and be safe.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated as we're a bit lost: so, where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550,000?

I know someone who bought a 4 bed new built in Hollywood Rath for under your budget and I reckon it ticks all your boxes, not too sure about public transport up there though to be honest but it’s a great area

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Thanks for suggesting it. I've just done a quick google search of it and it looks very far out. What are the local schools like, do you know? Would that be Blanchardstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Hiya

Have a look at Ballinteer, Dundrum, Churchtown & Balally areas
    luas goes close by
    close to m50
    Lots of schools, parks, shopping
    Have a look at the property price register for those areas to get an idea of prices
    I moved to Dundrum - Barton Road side over 20 years ago & thankfully never experienced any anti social behaviour.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i think the first wave of bay view in baldoyle was 400-500k depending on size and people are moving in now.
    they are building next phases now

https://www.bay-view.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks for suggesting it. I've just done a quick google search of it and it looks very far out. What are the local schools like, do you know? Would that be Blanchardstown?

There is a local Catholic and ET primary within walking distance and a Catholic coed secondary school across the road.

The rest of the schools would be a bus/car ride.

• Advertisement

Orchids wrote: »
    Hiya

Have a look at Ballinteer, Dundrum, Churchtown & Balally areas
    luas goes close by
    close to m50
    Lots of schools, parks, shopping
    Have a look at the property price register for those areas to get an idea of prices
    I moved to Dundrum - Barton Road side over 20 years ago & thankfully never experienced any anti social behaviour.
    Good luck

E.g
    This sold recently for €500k, good description of the area. Lots of scope to extend too

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/34-beech-lawn-dundrum-dublin-16/4451871

Thanks Orchids. We really like those areas but think they might be a bit outside our budget. Houses we've seen around there seem to be closer to 600k, or need a lot of work.

Edited: That house in Beech lawn is exactly what we're after. We'll definitely keep an eye on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dublin 7, around the Navan road/Phoenix park areas. Good houses, big gardens, some of them are a little bit older. Some parts of Castleknock also.
    I'm not familiar with schools, but there are lots in the area, also town is not far away, and you're right on the M50.

Obviously prices in Dublin atm are a bit mad, but I would expect that to calm down after the summer when supply is better.

eviltwin wrote: »
    There is a local Catholic and ET primary within walking distance and a Catholic coed secondary school across the road.

The rest of the schools would be a bus/car ride.

Thanks eviltwin. What is the general area like? Parks, traffic, shops etc. I've never been to that part of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Thanks. We really like those areas but think they might be a bit outside our budget. Houses around there seem to be closer to 600k, or need a lot of work. We'll definitely keep an eye on the area though.

Some go for around €500-550k, if I see any, I'll add to this thread!
    A lot of elderly residents who bought these houses in the 50s & 60's when they were built are sadly passing on now so more houses are coming on to the market than 20 years ago so I'd definitely contact the local estate agents, you might be lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You could fit almost all of those requirements in some parts of Malahide eg Seabury.

It is right by the sea and Castle, tons to see and do. Great restaurants and pubs. Dart and bus into town within 20-30 mins. Fantastic schools. Generally an affluent area. Really friendly and welcoming place.

Malahide?

Malahide is gorgeous. What's the commute to town like?
    I took the train there once and it felt like quite a long journey, but I was used to living in the city center at the time, so might not have had a decent perspective.

Any information on some of the estates: Seabury? the Warren? etc...

Orchids wrote: »
    Some go for around €500-550k, if I see any, I'll add to this thread!
    A lot of elderly residents who bought these houses in the 50s & 60's when they were built are sadly passing on now so more houses are coming on to the market than 20 years ago so I'd definitely contact the local estate agents, you might be lucky!

Thanks so much! Really appreciate your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks eviltwin. What is the general area like? Parks, traffic, shops etc. I've never been to that part of Dublin.

Traffic is ok, busy in the mornings and evenings because of the schools and nearby industrial estates. The main road is a back road to the motorway so its always busy.

There aren't many shops nearby apart from a Lidl and small Supervalu. There's an Aldi 5 mins away. The Blanchardstown centre is about 15 mins drive away and that has everything.

There is a lovely park beside the secondary school with playgrounds, walks etc.

Beach wise you can get to Dollymount in about half an hour or so, Portmarnock a bit longer.

You could fit almost all of those requirements in some parts of Malahide eg Seabury.

It is right by the sea and Castle, tons to see and do. Great restaurants and pubs. Dart and bus into town within 20-30 mins. Fantastic schools. Generally an affluent area. Really friendly and welcoming place.

That's brilliant. For some reason I had the idea that it was too far out, but we'll definitely look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Tempelogue, Terenure, Firhouse are very liveable areas if Ballinteer/Dundrum are out of your budget. Public transport to the city centre might be a bit slow but you'll have that problem most places unless you're on the Dart line. You'll get used to the Red Line shenanigans quick enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Would you go out as far as Donabate? It would be one of the few areas I'd live in Dublin. Would get plenty for your money too out there

site_owner wrote: »
    i think the first wave of bay view in baldoyle was 400-500k depending on size and people are moving in now.
    they are building next phases now

Thanks for that. What would be the nearest schools?

athlone573 wrote: »
    Tempelogue, Terenure, Firhouse are very liveable areas if Ballinteer/Dundrum are out of your budget. Public transport to the city centre might be a bit slow but you'll have that problem most places unless you're on the Dart line. You'll get used to the Red Line shenanigans quick enough!

:-) I probably would! I had ruled out Tempelogue because i knew a girl living there (near the Spawell) and she was always complaining about how long the bus took. The are itself looks nice.

Terenure is so large I'm not sure where to look and would have the same concerns about transport. Any areas you'd recommend?

Firhouse is too far out, I'd say. I knew a guy from there in college and he was always crashing on someone's couch. Maybe it's improved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/14-brookdene-killiney-co-dublin/4495471

Shankill/Killiney fantastic area, the best in Dublin, near the sea, you can walk to it from Bayview estate. You are near Shankill, Dalkey, the quarry, Killiney Hill, Cabinteely Park, Shanganagh Park, M50, N11, in Wicklow in 30 minutes. Woodbrook College Shankill, secondary that is co ed and no fees, Loreto Dalkey about 4k a year, Newpark, free church of Ireland school but everybody welcome, Rathdown, 8k a year, local primary St. Annes, Wyvern, Dalkey School Project, St Patricks, Rathmichael, Scoil Mhuire, Johnstown primary. Lidls, Aldis, Tesco and Dunnes, great gardening centre called Windyridge, you cant beat the area....https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/65-bayview-drive-killiney-county-dublin/4495356

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

:-) I probably would! I had ruled out Tempelogue because i knew a girl living there (near the Spawell) and she was always complaining about how long the bus took. The are itself looks nice.

Terenure is so large I'm not sure where to look and would have the same concerns about transport. Any areas you'd recommend?

Firhouse is too far out, I'd say. I knew a guy from there in college and he was always crashing on someone's couch. Maybe it's improved?

Not really I don't know the areas well at all

Bayside used to have a bad name but it seems grand now

Greystones has got expensive I think but it's lovely and has a good Dart service

Bayview and brookdene are mad over priced for what they are.
    There isn't even a shop within walking distance to get a litre of.milk.
    Brookdene is straight across the road from traveller.accommodation, how could ya pay nearly half a million for that!

bubblypop wrote: »

It here are well settled areas with lots of services nearby. Some may need a bit of work.

I know the Navan Road area a little.
    Castleknock is an area that confuses me. It seems to be huge and it's difficult to tell what each part is like, so thanks for adding those. Any parts of Castleknock to avoid or concentrate on?

Some of these areas are very nice but somewhere like Malahide or Donabate would be some trek to Citywest and would involve tolls twice a day if using the car park that is the M50.

I'd look for somewhere a bit more convenient to both work locations, and minimise the tolls to only one user, at least.

Knocklyn, Templeogue, Firhouse or Old Bawn came to my mind - very easy access to Citywest and to the M50 for North City Centre.

On the Tallaght thread, someone mentioned their nephew recently going sale agreed on a 4 bed / 3 bath with converted garage in Old Bawn for €445k.

Some of these areas are very nice but somewhere like Malahide or Donabate would be some trek to Citywest and would involve tolls twice a day if using the car park that is the M50.

I'd look for somewhere a bit more convenient to both work locations, and minimise the tolls to only one user, at least.

Knocklyn, Templeogue, Firhouse or Old Bawn came to my mind - very easy access to Citywest and to the M50 for North City Centre.

On the Tallaght thread, someone mentioned their nephew recently going sale agreed on a 4 bed / 3 bath with converted garage in Old Bawn for €445k.

Thanks Loueze.
    Luckily, once he's back in the office, my husband will only have to go in twice a week, so the commute to Citywest isn't as important a consideration for us as the area we live in and the amenities it offers for the other five days and for our children.

I've seen nice houses in Knocklyn, but am not familiar with it as an area. What is transport like to town? Schools? Amenities? Thanks!

I know the Navan Road area a little.
    Castleknock is an area that confuses me. It seems to be huge and it's difficult to tell what each part is like, so thanks for adding those. Any parts of Castleknock to avoid or concentrate on?

I wouldn't say there's any areas to avoid, some are older houses but you get bigger house and garden in that case.
    Anything east of the m50, is more expensive anything to the West of the m50 would be cheaper, probably less 'exclusive '
    Someone else might help out about schools but I would imagine there's lots of choice.

brookers wrote: »

Shankill/Killiney fantastic area, the best in Dublin, near the sea, you can walk to it from Bayview estate. You are near Shankill, Dalkey, the quarry, Killiney Hill, Cabinteely Park, Shanganagh Park, M50, N11, in Wicklow in 30 minutes. Woodbrook College Shankill, secondary that is co ed and no fees, Loreto Dalkey about 4k a year, Newpark, free church of Ireland school but everybody welcome, Rathdown, 8k a year, local primary St. Annes, Wyvern, Dalkey School Project, St Patricks, Rathmichael, Scoil Mhuire, Johnstown primary. Lidls, Aldis, Tesco and Dunnes, great gardening centre called Windyridge, you cant beat the area....

Thanks for adding all that. We've seen a house on Churchview Road in Killiney, although it'll probably be over budget (afraid I can't add links). What's the area like for traffic, do you know? Also is Kilbogget Park safe to walk through at night?

• Advertisement

Would you go out as far as Donabate? It would be one of the few areas I'd live in Dublin. Would get plenty for your money too out there

I've heard that Donabate will be a nightmare traffic wise in a few years due to overdevelopment and that there's only one road. Do you know anything about that? There are a lot of new builds there within budget.

Advertisement