Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

We moved to Donabate about 8 years ago and I love it. Close to the sea with great parks and a lovely community feel. Close to malahide for socializing and swords for shopping. It's is sprawling at the mo but great value to be found. On the train line at the mo but I believe the dart is extending out. Great educate together primary though I don't think the local secondary is great

Actually I saw re traffic, one thing I'd suggest if possible.is aiming for the near side of the village, so Turvey road. Beverton and Berseford estates..

Much quieter for traffic where I know the village can be dodgy.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-54-cois-inbhir-beaverstown-road-donabate-co-dublin/3190970

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The whole Northside Southside thing was put to bed a long long time ago. It's East or West Dublin now. The closer to the coast the better, doesn't matter what side of the Liffey.

thats why Balbriggan is so popular :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭dubrov

thats why Balbriggan is so popular

Keep going. Eventually you'll get a rise out of someone

dubrov wrote: »
    Keep going. Eventually you'll get a rise out of someone

point still stands, balbriggan is north side close to the sea why isnt it popular ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

point still stands, balbriggan is north side close to the sea why isnt it popular ?

The same reason some Southside areas aren't. I'm unsure the argument you are trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It is popular. That's why people live it in Balbriggan. Who told you it isn't popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Show me a house with a garden walking distance to the train station?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Please forward the details of your kitchen supplier!

Ours was built by a joiner, but there’s Loads of Example

IKEA kitchens are great and feature packed

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/rooms/kitchen/gallery/traditional-looks-for-modern-cooks-pube8073730

Just shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is popular. That's why people live it in Balbriggan. Who told you it isn't popular?

Don’t fed the trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chapeau

I suggest Dublin 9 Glasnevin/Drumcondra. Your budget might be tight and may have to go for a 3 bed without a large garden. Botanic Road, Mobhí Road and all the roads off of this corridor are worth looking at.
    Close to town yet it feels suburban. Lots of nice parks, sports clubs, shops, bars, restaurants. Excellent schools and close to a range of 3rd level universities and colleges. Lovely community feel and very family friendly.
    I suggest narrowing an area down and ideally renting for 6 months to a year before buying. You can buy a nice house on the wrong street in an OK area or do your homework and find a great location.

• Advertisement

The price tag always tells the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Molina wrote: »
    I know the Navan Road area a little.
    Castleknock is an area that confuses me. It seems to be huge and it's difficult to tell what each part is like, so thanks for adding those. Any parts of Castleknock to avoid or concentrate on?

Most areas of Castleknock and the surrounding areas are quite nice. It probably seems bigger than it is, "Castleknock proper" would be from about the m50 bridge up the Phoenix Park. Then out to Farmleigh in the other direction. Good schools, right next to the park, newly done up tennis club, rugby clubs and football clubs close by. The village could use a bit more life to it to be honest but it's a nice place overall. Quick enough to get into town too either by bus or by train. If you would be getting the train try to be closer to either Castleknock train station or Navan Road Parkway on the map.

Places surrounding Castleknock, like Carpenterstown are pretty nice too.

The price tag always tells the story.

It's still popular. Are you getting confused between price and popularity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Fawk Nin wrote: »

Places surrounding Castleknock, like Carpenterstown are pretty nice too.

The in-laws live just off Carpenterstown/Coolmine Road, a couple of minute stroll to Coolmine Station. I really like it around there. The Carpenter is a very decent pub (priorities, right!). However, I always, ALWAYS get caught by that level crossing so the traffic can be a little irksome.

It's still popular. Are you getting confused between price and popularity?

Balbriggan is not a popular choice for house hunters. I know people on here living there so I am not surprised with the getting the backs up replies.
    Balbriggan hasn't a great rep , you have the anti social behavior , distance to the city and not forgetting Pyrite. This feeds into the pricing and yes price and popularity are interlinked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

thats why Balbriggan is so popular :)

Balbriggan isn't in Dublin City (or part of the continuous urban area). It's not really comparable to other places people have referenced.

Amirani wrote: »
    Balbriggan isn't in Dublin City (or part of the continuous urban area). It's not really comparable to other places people have referenced.

It is relevant to the post that I replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Amirani wrote: »

Plus you might as well start recommending the OP move to Louth.

Balbriggan is not a popular choice for house hunters. I know people on here living there so I am not surprised with the getting the backs up replies.
    Balbriggan hasn't a great rep , you have the anti social behavior , distance to the city and not forgetting Pyrite. This feeds into the pricing and yes price and popularity are interlinked.

Yeah, that's amongst your small peer group. Step outside and you'll meet people that would shun Dundrum for Balbriggan, I've a friend that's a semi pro waterspouts athlete that's just bought there. He's not Irish and is unaware of the nuances and postal code snobbery.

He'd prefer a more reasonably priced coastal house one million times more than an inland house close to a shopping centre.

Yeah, that's amongst your small peer group. Step outside and you'll meet people that would shun Dundrum for Balbriggan, I've a friend that's a semi pro waterspouts athlete that's just bought there. He's not Irish and is unaware of the nuances and postal code snobbery.

He'd prefer a more reasonably priced coastal house one million times more than an inland house close to a shopping centre.

With Balbriggan its not about postal code. In fact its a long time since I heard the mentioned on this forum. Most people are concerned about safety , schools, location and of course quality of property. If you google Balbriggan what do you get ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

"Foreign person unfamiliar with Balbriggan willing to live in Balbriggan"

And if his budget stretched to Malahide or Blackrock I'm sure hed pick Balbriggan every time :lol:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Ashtown

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Thanks everyone for the replies. It’s really helpful to get so many perspectives & area suggestions.

I have a couple of friends who live in Balbriggan, so I know it a little. They really like it and haven’t had any problems, but I wouldn’t spend half a million on a house there. For us it’s just too far from Dublin City and there is an anti-social element (which, of course, you get in some parts of South Dublin & West Dublin too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Orchids wrote: »
    Hiya

Have a look at Ballinteer, Dundrum, Churchtown & Balally areas
    luas goes close by
    close to m50
    Lots of schools, parks, shopping
    Have a look at the property price register for those areas to get an idea of prices
    I moved to Dundrum - Barton Road side over 20 years ago & thankfully never experienced any anti social behaviour.
    Good luck

I'd second that, just bought in the area for less than your budget last year and the kids (and ourselves) are loving it. Great parks, shops, schools, the M50 and the mountains nearby!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

luketitz wrote: »
    I'd second that, just bought in the area for less than your budget last year and the kids (and ourselves) are loving it. Great parks, shops, schools, the M50 and the mountains nearby!

Thanks we had a drive around Ballinteer yesterday & really liked it.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    "Foreign person unfamiliar with Balbriggan willing to live in Balbriggan"

Who told you that? Where did you read it? My friend who happens to be foreign was very familiar with Balbriggan before he moved in. I said he was unaware of the nuances and postal code snobbery that the likes of yourself suffers from.
    M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    And if his budget stretched to Malahide or Blackrock I'm sure hed pick Balbriggan every time :lol:

He actually sold one of his properties in Malahide to buy in Balbriggan. Don't assume because he's foreign he's poor Murphy! He owns three shops in Dublin and has a few properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Who told you that? Where did you read it? My friend who happens to be foreign was very familiar with Balbriggan before he moved in. I said he was unaware of the nuances and postal code snobbery that the likes of yourself suffers from.

He actually sold one of his properties in Malahide to buy in Balbriggan. Don't assume because he's foreign he's poor Murphy! He owns three shops in Dublin and has a few properties.

Do you know many people who did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭dubrov

Can we drop the obsession with Balbriggan?

It's not relevant on this thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Glasnevin / Old finglas. Around wadelei and glasnevin avenue specifically

Loads of busses, close to shops, botanic gardens, sea is only 15 mins away by car, city centre is 20-25 min cycle, loads of good schools and sports facilities, it's a very settled area. Phibsboro is only a few mins away too. Metro North will eventually come this way

Houses tend to need work, but most have massive gardens it seems and the area is not going to see huge change in terms of building .

We looked at donabate, and then looked at the plans for donabate. 1000s more homes going there, but no infrastructure to match it yet so we backed off. Great houses though but we didn't want a postage stamp garden which is the compromise with new builds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Weepsie wrote: »
    Glasnevin / Old finglas. Around wadelei and glasnevin avenue specifically

Loads of busses, close to shops, botanic gardens, sea is only 15 mins away by car, city centre is 20-25 min cycle, loads of good schools and sports facilities, it's a very settled area. Phibsboro is only a few mins away too. Metro North will eventually come this way

Houses tend to need work, but most have massive gardens it seems and the area is not going to see huge change in terms of building .

We looked at donabate, and then looked at the plans for donabate. 1000s more homes going there, but no infrastructure to match it yet so we backed off. Great houses though but we didn't want a postage stamp garden which is the compromise with new builds

Donabate is a lovely place where I have relatiuves that I visit often, but you can see the shine going off it over the last few years alright.

And if commuting from Donabate it is always a nightmare coming up to the M50 in the mornings. Only going to get worse.

Advertisement