Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-05-2017, 21:44   #1
JackieChang

Looking for the ultimate survival knife/tool.

My brother is a bit of a mountain guy. He knows the local terrain and forests like the back of his hands and goes for 10 hour long wanders.

For his birthday I'd like to get him a great survival knife just in case he ever gets lost in the back of beyond and needs to kill a deer.

Can you recommend some decent survival knives under €100? The more multi purpose the better. I'm thinking Rambo style.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-05-2017, 16:24   #2
Iamxavier

Mora Kniv us the best knife out there for the price (about €20). If you are more interested in looks than build quality or versatility, then any bowie knife will do. I would suggest against that though as most are complete rubbish.

This knife is a little over budget, but quite nice.

Another nice knife from condor.
Thanks from:
10-05-2017, 20:51   #3
Stovepipe

get a Leatherman or a Gerber multi tool unless the guy is a serious animal-skinner.
11-05-2017, 20:34   #4
Iamxavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
get a Leatherman or a Gerber multi tool unless the guy is a serious animal-skinner.
All due respect, definitely don't do this. There's no comparison between a multi tool and a full tang knife. You don't have to be a "serious animal skinner" (whatever that is) to use a proper knife.
13-05-2017, 14:34   #5
lostboy75

I ignored this thread, assuming a troll.
If it's just hiking etc. I would suggest the leatherman as well. Who has ever gone for a hike, something has come up, and the only logical solution is to kill a deer? It's much more likely you need to repair something, make a bit of shelter etc. Fixed blades are great. But you might need to carry additional gear as well.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-05-2017, 16:40   #6
my3cents

I'd actually go with both a leatherman type tool but one of the smaller more basic ones and a good single blade folder.

Weight is an important factor when your out and have to carry everything and for me most of the big leatherman type tools are just far too heavy. So I now always have a Leatherman Style CS (50grams) in my pocket but the Micra and Mutt would be suitable lightweight alternatives.

I don't carry a larger knife, even though I have numerous ones I could carry, but if I did want to lug around a lump of steel and was buying new I'd go for something like the CKRT Batum (~8cm) or the CKRT Batum Compact (~6cm). both have big fat blades that don't look like something you'd stab anyone with but both would be useful out in the woods. Again they aren't heavy the larger one around 200grams and the smaller not much more the 100grams.

Its the old story of having something is better than having nothing, a machete would be my tool of choice but you can't carry one around legally all the time but you aren't going to notice the 100 grams of a small folding blade in your pocket so are likely to have it with you when you need it.
Thanks from:
16-05-2017, 22:31   #7
Feisar

Right, a really good knife is a Fallkniven F1, S1 if you want something a bit bigger.

However, and this is a big one, where is he going? There's no wilderness in Ireland. The worst that could happen is he could be stuck out over night due to weather/an injury.

So a mini tarp like the Gear Pods one
Some line like the Atwood micro cord
A Swiss Army knife, the Farmer model is good as it has a wood saw
a ziplock bag and some water puri tabs
A small whistle and a button light thingy - signal for help
A couple of bic lighters (by the way you can dunk these in water, shake them of and they work)
A small roll of duct tape (used to patch the zip lock bag if it tears/gets a hole for water purification)

All that will fit in a very small pouch.

However if yer set on the knife let me know the budget and I'll offer a few suggestions.
16-05-2017, 22:51   #8
Feisar

Sorry, didn't read the post properly - €100

Something full tang, that means the steel runs right through the handle. For the money a knife from a company called Condor would be a good idea.
I'd steer away from Rambo, you want a fixed blade 4 to 6 inch knife with a comfy handle and a blade steel that robust and reliable. If he is unfortunate enough to get stuck out he ain't going to be jumping out of trees spearing wild pigs.

The Fallkniven F1 is the survival knife of the Swedish Air Force if that helps, a bit outside your budget though.
16-05-2017, 22:57   #9
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3cents View Post
I'd actually go with both a leatherman type tool but one of the smaller more basic ones and a good single blade folder.

Weight is an important factor when your out and have to carry everything and for me most of the big leatherman type tools are just far too heavy. So I now always have a Leatherman Style CS (50grams) in my pocket but the Micra and Mutt would be suitable lightweight alternatives.

I don't carry a larger knife, even though I have numerous ones I could carry, but if I did want to lug around a lump of steel and was buying new I'd go for something like the CKRT Batum (~8cm) or the CKRT Batum Compact (~6cm). both have big fat blades that don't look like something you'd stab anyone with but both would be useful out in the woods. Again they aren't heavy the larger one around 200grams and the smaller not much more the 100grams.

Its the old story of having something is better than having nothing, a machete would be my tool of choice but you can't carry one around legally all the time but you aren't going to notice the 100 grams of a small folding blade in your pocket so are likely to have it with you when you need it.
Good stuff, I like your thoughts.
Advertisement
16-05-2017, 23:02   #10
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamxavier View Post
Mora Kniv us the best knife out there for the price (about €20). If you are more interested in looks than build quality or versatility, then any bowie knife will do. I would suggest against that though as most are complete rubbish.

This knife is a little over budget, but quite nice.

Another nice knife from condor.
Nice one, I recommended Condor as well before reading your post.
18-05-2017, 18:38   #11
JackieChang

Thanks for the recommendations folks.

No I am not a troll.

My brother is not a survivalist, but likes forest walks and just thought it would be a good birthday idea to get him a cool knife. I think I will go with a multitool type.
21-05-2017, 18:51   #12
The_Commander

Quote:
My brother is a bit of a mountain guy. He knows the local terrain and forests like the back of his hands and goes for 10 hour long wanders.

For his birthday I'd like to get him a great survival knife just in case he ever gets lost in the back of beyond and needs to kill a deer.
Kill a deer with a knife?? That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

Apart from being impossible you know this is illegal, right??

Do yourself and your brother a favor and get him a Rambo DVD or similar.
21-05-2017, 19:25   #13
JackieChang

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
Kill a deer with a knife?? That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

Apart from being impossible you know this is illegal, right??

Do yourself and your brother a favor and get him a Rambo DVD or similar.
It's not illegal if you are trapped in the wilderness with no other source of food.
21-05-2017, 20:23   #14
my3cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChang View Post
It's not illegal if you are trapped in the wilderness with no other source of food.
Just ignore him some people come here looking for things to make a fuss about so don't bother to rise to the bait.
22-05-2017, 11:40   #15
JackieChang

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3cents View Post
Just ignore him some people come here looking for things to make a fuss about so don't bother to rise to the bait.
I just noticed how easily that guy got angry so decided to troll him. My brother will not actually kill any deers, I was exaggerating in my OP.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion