Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain alerts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Also Axe and Hammer multikit for 7.99 euro on thur 20th dec in Aldi.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24996.htm

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_25000.htm

I like the axe one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

wolfeye wrote: »
    Also Axe and Hammer multikit for 7.99 euro on thur 20th dec in Aldi.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24996.htm

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_25000.htm

I like the axe one.
    Oh yeah I used one of those to cut through a door in an earlier thread, good piece of kit, assuming its from the same manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Oh yeah I used one of those to cut through a door in an earlier thread, .

Ah good times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@Mod Maybe change the thread title to something generic and sticky? People could post stuff they got/spotted, and it could grow to be a good thread (imho). Just a suggestion anyway! :)

All from www.buyincoins.com btw P&P is free

Extra-large Head Windproof Waterproof Matches

Magnesium Flint Stone Fire Starter

3 PCS 30mm Mini Body Pocket Compass

Baseplate Ruler Map Scale Compass

Permanent Match Box Striker/Lighter
    (uses lighter fuel)

Camouflage Mesh Face Mask Mosquito Hat

Dry Bag 50 Litre (they also have 30L, 20L, 10L)

20 Litre PVC Passive Solar Energy Passive Shower )could double as water storage)

Steel Wire Saw

Dry Pouch/Bag for Phone/MP3/Wallet/Docs

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I bought some stuff off them recently.
    A couple of items were slow to arrive, One of them a month in fact.
    It was around Christmas so that mightn't have helped.
    But first item arrived in 4 days.
    Also if u buy something with a plug on it make sure to state uk plug.
    They say they ship suitable plug for shipping address but they sent me a continental 2 pin one.
    They did give me a partial refund though.
    If u have a problem, they are good to resolve it.

Foldable Garden Saw €3 in Lidl this Thursday 28th Feb.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Esel wrote: »

Lidls site is down atm but if thats the same saw as they have sold in the past its well worth the money. I was only using one this morning cutting up small timber for a woodburner. It cuts up to 2inch timber quite easily but will do much thicker if you really need to. The one I'm using is about 3 years old and I've cut dozens of barrow loads of thin timber with it. Only problem is that they are totally throw away and non sharpenable as the hardened points are too hard to sharpen.

I'll be getting 4 if they are the right ones.

btw worth wearing gloves if you are using them to cut up small firewood when out and about because you rarely use a proper "brake" and end up holding small peices in one hand while cutting with the other - too easy to slip.

Edit> Checked back with the Lidl site and the picture is identical to the saw I've got here. I have to say I thought these were "hardpoint" saws but as the advertising doesn't highlight that fact they probably aren't. For anyone conscience of the weight they are carrying these weigh in at about 265 grams (bit over half a pound).

My wife picked up 2 folding saws in Lidl for me, she'd have thought I was mad if I'd asked her for 4 so I might pop back and see if they have any left later.

Why 4?

One in a family bob (we have 3 prepacked and I try and put a spread of handy tools in each one so they aren't duplicated)
    One in my daily carry rucsack - why I posted the weight.
    One in my car
    One in wifes car
    And why stop at 4 so maybe a spare :o:o:o

^ They had better not be all gone when I get there tonight! :)

Not your ornery onager

^ They had better not be all gone when I get there tonight! :)

You should be OK I don't think anyones thinking much about gardening with this current cold spell and most Irish gardening techniques involve sitting on a lawn tractor and driving it around when your neighors are most likely to see you, so not much call for them either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Picked up two today and they seem pretty sturdy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

20% off all water products if anyone is interested here is the link and discount code
    http://myemail.constantcontact.com/All-WATER-Products-are-20--OFF-.html?soid=1102848092515&aid=ssjXZZCBfZw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Picked myself up one of these. Very nice little piece of kit for the money. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Khannie wrote: »

Picked myself up one of these. Very nice little piece of kit for the money. Thanks for the tip.

Got one of these today, takes a good bite when cutting but got an awful lot of branches cleared with it after getting used to it,
    Great bargain and Great cutter

GY A1 wrote: »
    Got one of these today, takes a good bite when cutting but got an awful lot of branches cleared with it after getting used to it,

No ones mentioned yet that they cut primarily on the pull stroke so as you say it can take some getting used to if you've not used that type of saw before.

I did get 4 in the end :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

210L water butts in aldi tomorrow. 40 euro

Hope it helps someone

Handy emergency flashlights in aldi on sunday €14.99 http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_26128.htm

eirator wrote: »
    No ones mentioned yet that they cut primarily on the pull stroke so as you say it can take some getting used to if you've not used that type of saw before.
    Interesting! That's how Japanese saws cut too.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

grapeape wrote: »
    The one that is 51 from armygearireland.com is $24 (incl. 20% off) on the above site, and it seems to be a later model with a "an unbeatable life-time tungsten, carbide, cobalt built-in Super Alloy Striking Blade that will never dull!"

$24 is about €18.50. :eek:

Don't know how shipping costs compare. The irish site has a blank page.....

Not your ornery onager

GY A1 wrote: »

I was cutting 2x1 batons on a roof today with one of these baby's. Pure handy. Fold it up and into the tool belt and I've always got e saw with me. Thanks for the shout out, will be keepin my eye out for another one or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I decked out my entire back garden getting ready to start projects over the summer seen this little number for collecting rain water. Tad bit more expensive than the "Blue Barrels" but you get yourself a pump looks a nice set up

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_29595.htm

A mate of mine put me on to this place it takes around 10 days for delivery but well worth the wait good quality for very cheap prices
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

A mate of mine put me on to this place it takes around 10 days for delivery but well worth the wait good quality for very cheap prices

I got a pair of hiking boots off of them last year. I tried every shop within 80 miles of my home to no avail, one shop offered to order them at full market price (E160) and a E30 service fee. I had a few options online at about the E160 mark, Sportsdirect posted them to my door for E106 all in. I have bought other footwear for the family and myself since, never had any problems. Highly recommend them.

We use them quite a bit. It's hit and miss on sizing of clothes (Medium brand A is not medium brand B) but incredibly cheap.

• Advertisement

We use them quite a bit. It's hit and miss on sizing of clothes (Medium brand A is not medium brand B) but incredibly cheap.
    Thats like everything you buy on line clothes wise Ive even had trouble buying the same brand same size same color combats but one pair had a green label and dont fit and another pair have a tan label and fit perfect

Yeah, true enough. It's just not worth the hassle of sending stuff back to them though IMO. The youngfella bought a jacket with his Christmas money that ended up being too small and it's just sitting under the stairs. Having said all of that, we will continue to use it. Even with occasional issues like that, you come out on top.

Might be good as a lightweight groundsheet for a bivvy / shelter. €20 incl. free standard shipping (from Belgium). 30 ft² (2.8 m²), so guessing it's about 4 ft x 7.5 ft.

http://ie.thenorthface.com/tnf-ie-en/sale/equipment/tents/meso-2-footprint.html

At a push, you could use it as a (small) shelter.

Edit: 10% off Promo Code 10TNFSTICKERS

Btw, spotted this in regular BA thread.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I see people in the UK banging on about Tyvek as a budget ground sheet that weighs very little. Is it available in Irish builders merchants?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I see people in the UK banging on about Tyvek as a budget ground sheet that weighs very little. Is it available in Irish builders merchants?
    Yeap, though might be a different brand name. It's new roofing felt, lighter, stronger and breathable, but still water repellant.It folds up well as it's bout as thick as paper, comes in different widths. We're using 1500mm stuff here at te mo. At 80 squids a roll it's a bit pricey unless you know a builder who has a bit left over. Thought I'd have a nice bit over from this roof but as it is, I'm scrounging round for bits to cover the walls of the dormer!!

• Advertisement

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Just found out this morning these have a shop in the Pavilion in Swords for anyone in the Dublin area (prices are better on line and only €1 delivery)

That's "direct sports". :) Similar model (and logo!) though.

That's "direct sports". :) Similar model (and logo!) though.
    wondered why it wasnt on their web site ;)

Those folding saws are back in aldi 1/4/13. Worth €2.99 for the bob our bov

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/media/offers/01_13_week_14/Product_detail_Wk14M_4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

ShadowFox wrote: »

Yep I gave them a try & very impressed:)
    Ordered some football boots & socks delivery was only 1€ combined..
    They arrived today & were ordered very late at night on 28th.

DHL delivered them to my door.
    Im very impressed with that considering there was a long bank hol easter weekeknd to disrupt delivery.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

nuub wrote: »
    I decked out my entire back garden getting ready to start projects over the summer seen this little number for collecting rain water. Tad bit more expensive than the "Blue Barrels" but you get yourself a pump looks a nice set up

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_29595.htm

Eh you do know thats the price for the PUMP ONLY...you dont get the water butt/barrel.;)

I noticed Dunnes had EveryReady LED Head Torches for €6.99 they are good head torches, taking 3x AAA batteries (included), iirc 42 lumens and about 15 hour run time. Its claimed they are half price, I bought the same ones about 3 years ago on another special offer @ €3.99 also half price, but for €7 euro I can still recommend them. Cons, batteries cover not easy to remove and can be switched on if left in pocket.

I noticed Dunnes had EveryReady LED Head Torches for €6.99 they are good head torches, taking 3x AAA batteries (included), iirc 42 lumens and about 15 hour run time. Its claimed they are half price, I bought the same ones about 3 years ago on another special offer @ €3.99 also half price, but for €7 euro I can still recommend them. Cons, batteries cover not easy to remove and can be switched on if left in pocket.

Id reccomend them to a friend too! I got one 3yrs ago in dunnes last deal & it has served me well for night fishing, working under the cars , 2 different light strengths available so you dont lose your natural night sight.. still on my original batteries too;) im a cheap-ass but these are amazing value for the money:cool:

B&Q are selling off a JCB version of the chisel-knife for €7.00. Not as sharp out of the package as the bacho, but feels a lot more sturdy, like a longer tang. ( No magnets on me to see how long the tang is). Worth €7 even if it's just for rough work round the house/camp

davycc wrote: »
    Id reccomend them to a friend too! I got one 3yrs ago in dunnes last deal & it has served me well for night fishing, working under the cars , 2 different light strengths available so you dont lose your natural night sight.. still on my original batteries too;) im a cheap-ass but these are amazing value for the money:cool:

Actually there seem to be two versions of this particular head torch, the ones we have have 2 white LEDs and 1 red LED (switchable red or white) the ones I mentioned in Dunnes have 2 white LED's for full power and 1 white LED for low power. So just take a look if you are buying one that your getting the type you want. I like the one with the red LED as when its handy if you are not using a light at all and want to look at something without loosing your night sight, only problem is that is you have remember which why to push the slide switch, I hold the head lamp covered up in my hand so you only see a bit of light escape and work it out that way.

• Advertisement

Actually there seem to be two versions of this particular head torch, the ones we have have 2 white LEDs and 1 red LED (switchable red or white) the ones I mentioned in Dunnes have 2 white LED's for full power and 1 white LED for low power. So just take a look if you are buying one that your getting the type you want. I like the one with the red LED as when its handy if you are not using a light at all and want to look at something without loosing your night sight, only problem is that is you have remember which why to push the slide switch, I hold the head lamp covered up in my hand so you only see a bit of light escape and work it out that way.

yep your dead right I made a balls of my review:(

davycc wrote: »
    yep your dead right I made a balls of my review:(

Nope wasn't suggesting that, I didn't know there were two types until I read your post and then went back into Dunnes to check, I also got the price wrong and the are a euro dearer than I said and are in fact €7.99 :o

Nope wasn't suggesting that, I didn't know there were two types until I read your post and then went back into Dunnes to check, I also got the price wrong and the are a euro dearer than I said and are in fact €7.99 :o

ah ffs lol.:D I have my light here & its an Energiser brand with 2 white LEDs which can be used singly for saving your battery/night vision or the 2 LEDs together with a more than decent light beam..its extrememly lightweight & v comfy Id hardly even notice Im wearing it:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lidl have some camping stuff coming up on Monday 22nd, the 12mm thick sleeping mats caught my eye http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_30602.htm

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Lidl have some camping stuff coming up on Monday 22nd, the 12mm thick sleeping mats caught my eye http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_30602.htm

Called in to buy a few sleeping mats and I can confirm they are cheap and nasty. It's two 6mm mats laminated together. I couldn't see them lasting long at all before they peeled apart. Heavy too for what they were. Recommend spending your beer tokens on something better.

I also stopped into Woodies and by chance saw they have camping stuff there. No bargains as such, but they did have a similar sleep mat for a quid more. Not as thick (probably 6mm or 8mm) but a fraction of the weight. If you want a cheap, light mat nearby, I'd go for the woodies on (blue only though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

picked up the sleeping bag myself. Havent tried it out yet but it seems fine. probably at least the 20 euro worth

mawk wrote: »
    picked up the sleeping bag myself. Havent tried it out yet but it seems fine. probably at least the 20 euro worth

I bought a few for bobs about 18 months back and they are fine for the money but only really summer weight sleeping bags (unless they have changed them) so I paired them each with a one of the Lild lightweight Microfiber blankets.

I don't know what offer or week they came in but spotted 2 types of really large plasters in Lidl this week.

Both are 8cm x 15cm and one is advertised as a Wound Dressing Sterile and the other as a Shower Plasters Sterile, 5 plasters in each box for €1.29 - (UBD sometime in 2017).

Edit> So found the link http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-AD203E24-42B2DC28/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_30681.htm in old "money" they measure a little over 3 inches by 4 inches.

• Advertisement

Danpad wrote: »

Iffy, could go either way, you should really walk away from any solar device that doesn't quote the Wattage of the panel. And the batteries on the lamp are fine provided you remember to take them out and charge them every month, left over winter and left to discharge they often don't work the following year.

Advertisement