Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

• 22-01-2012 3:18pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Mods: Feel free to remove if you like. This is more for alerts that are relevant to this forum.

Was in lidl yesterday and they have 3 for 2 on their own brand noodles. 40c for 3 packets of noodles. Pretty decent. They're not the tastiest noodles in the world, but it's a very good price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

And they were cheap anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Anyone spot if Lidl still have the HobNobs from about 2 weeks back (afaik they were 89c so not really cheap). Posh sounding biscuit for survival rations but at something like 67 cal (kcal but we all call them calories dont' we?) a biscuit they fit the bill well enough 300g pack is 22 biscuits which is about 1500 cal. Only just over a 6 month shelf life but easy enough to deal with any that might be nearing the best before date :eek::pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Great idea for a thread!
    Two obvious ones to keep an eye on are the Lidl and Aldi offer pages for anything coming up that may be useful. Another place to check out is DealExtreme. Quality can vary, but they have a huge range of products and shipping is free on everything I've looked at on the site. Especially check out the outdoor activities/camping sections, and there are plenty of torches, paracord, collapsible water bottles, fire steels etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Huge fan of dealextreme here. I got two very decent LED torches off the site for around a fiver delivered. (I bought rechargable batteries that set me back another few euros on top). I get 3 hours useful lighting out of it from 3 aaa rechargeables though. 2 hours very bright and 1 semi-bright. Link.

May be an idea for another thread, but might it be useful for people to list their wishlist or usual buys that may help others know what to look out for as a bargain? Something I glance over on a site may be exactly what someone else is looking for or half the price that they normally pay for it.
    Just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

What about a buy & sell / swop shop thread like airsoft adverts where we can post items for trade sale or wanted

Stanley 12 in 1 MultiTool in B&Q 8euro in sale - they had a good dozen or so left up the far end near the cement and stuff (Edit forgot to say Waterford Store) but no prices on them check at the counter the price hasn't changed.

Small Leatherman type pliers with some other tools in the handles, not brilliant compared any Leatherman but worth the 8euro.

Yellow anodised alloy folding handles, in presentation box.

btw notices the hobnobs are still in Lidl and 300g packs are actually 99p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Is it this one?

pACE3-8899991dt.jpg

krissovo wrote: »
    Is it this one?

Very similar but the handles were a bit bulkier and anodised ally. Was a good pair of pliers but a bit too bulky for the quality and size of the tools in the handle.

Found it same as the tool pictured on the right here - http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Tools-Mini-Multi-Socket/dp/B003Z9OUPE

Not read it yet but found cheap multitool review/comparison here http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72916

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Khannie wrote: »
    They're not the tastiest noodles in the world.

They're certainly not but that means they won't be used until they're really needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Was in lidl yesterday and they have 3 for 2 on their own brand noodles. 40c for 3 packets of noodles. Pretty decent. They're not the tastiest noodles in the world, but it's a very good price.

Lidl changed the noodle last year and now I can't stand them! :(

Tesco used to do some for about 16c, not sure if still do.
    Veggies will have to avoid them as they have chicken fat in them.

Things might be different if zombies attack though. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rather than Lidl/Aldi I would have thought that the ethnic Asian shops would be a much better place to find cheaper and better quality noodles? I know the rice is certainly massively cheaper than supermarket stuff.

Lash in a bit of Thai sweet chilly sauce and any rice/noodle meal is instantly transformed. Or a shake of curry powder at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

That's true about the rice - but the noodles aren't massively cheaper I find.

You can get all the spices you want at much better prices in the Asian shops and also 25l cans of cooking oil and big bags of nuts and beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 futurenamer

Huge fan of dealextreme here. I got two very decent LED torches off the site for around a fiver delivered. (I bought rechargable batteries that set me back another few euros on top). I get 3 hours useful lighting out of it from 3 aaa rechargeables though. 2 hours very bright and 1 semi-bright. Link.

yes,really a big fan of these chinese online retailers,not only dx,dinodirect,focalprice,meritline, I also like these

Does deal extreme factor all shipping costs? For example I love sporks and here is a interesting one that I would like to buy and try:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-multi-function-stainless-steel-spoon-w-carabiner-clip-black-82068

When I checkout it says total cost is €4.48 so I assume that includes shipping as it states free shipping at the top. However I could not post this to the US for €4.48 let alone buy and ship for that cost.

krissovo wrote: »
    Does deal extreme factor all shipping costs? For example I love sporks and here is a interesting one that I would like to buy and try:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-multi-function-stainless-steel-spoon-w-carabiner-clip-black-82068

When I checkout it says total cost is €4.48 so I assume that includes shipping as it states free shipping at the top. However I could not post this to the US for €4.48 let alone buy and ship for that cost.
    Yep. As far as I have seen there is no delivery cost on most things on DX. I've bought a few things from them and never been charged.
    Just don't be expecting next day delivery. Think my last item (small) took nearly 2 weeks, but for free shipping from China you can hardly complain!

What are the available shipping methods?
    DealExtreme offers regular air mail post and registered airmail post shipping methods for free. For larger or urgent orders, customers are welcome to choose EMS Express for faster delivery of products for a nominal upgrade fee to cover cost. The EMS upgrade option and fee information are available via a selection box on the shopping cart page before you checkout. All the EMS fee quoted on the checkout page are base on Unite State standard, if the EMS service in your countries (such as Brazil, Russia) cost more and additional EMS fee are needed. We will contact you directly for the payment required.

We automatically upgrade larger orders to EMS Express for faster delivery. You may check the shipping option in your shopping cart for the words "EMS: free upgrade".

For countries not served by EMS, Registed Airmail Service will be used instead. In such situation, EMS fee paid will be refunded.

Yep. Includes P&P but as said, postage takes around two weeks. Expect it to take a month at the moment (Chinese new year and all that).

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

also this looks like a good source of good quantity veg seed for that all important 'self sufficiency seed store'.

http://stores.ebay.ie/Premier-Seeds-Direct/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html

bonniebede wrote: »

I planted a few apple, cherry and pear trees from lidl two years ago and got fruit from the apples last summer. They were a little small and bitter so hopefully this year after more growth they will be good eaters. Cherry and pear should start fruiting this year I hope.

• Advertisement

also this looks like a good source of good quantity veg seed for that all important 'self sufficiency seed store'.

http://stores.ebay.ie/Premier-Seeds-Direct/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html

That just reminded me that anyone buying seeds from LIDL this year needs to check the packeted in year end date particularly if they intend keep the seed and not useing it this year. I was horrified to see that a lot of Lidls seeds this year were packed for last year and so are over 12 months old before you start. The whole point of buying seed is that it should be fresh! Use by dates are still OK but thats not the point and I seem to remember some of the seeds that were OLD STOCK were not even in foil packets.

Sorry bit off topic.

What date are they going on sale?

What date are they going on sale?

Thursday 9th feb

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

i know its a bit late now but i picked up a diamond knife sharpener there a few weeks ago in aldi, forget the price, maybe €15-20 or that but thought it was good for keeping the knife set i have it top condition.

i know its a bit late now but i picked up a diamond knife sharpener there a few weeks ago in aldi, forget the price, maybe €15-20 or that but thought it was good for keeping the knife set i have it top condition.

Didn't think they were that much? Around a tenner, anyway they still had quite a few of them in Aldi Waterford on Tuesday.

Was it the one thats a square block in a holder with a different grade on each side?

They do a good job up to a point but I think even the finest grade isn't fine enough and can leave scratches so I'd finish on something finer still like a japanese water stone but they don't cost a tenner ;)

Didn't think they were that much? Around a tenner, anyway they still had quite a few of them in Aldi Waterford on Tuesday.

Was it the one thats a square block in a holder with a different grade on each side?

They do a good job up to a point but I think even the finest grade isn't fine enough and can leave scratches so I'd finish on something finer still like a japanese water stone but they don't cost a tenner ;)

yup thats the one! and prob was only a tenner too.

ya i would like to invest in a water stone some day, they are the only job for really sharpening a knife. altho this aldi one does the job for me:D first time using a sharpener so it'l work fine until i get a proper one!

picked up a good lantern in tkMax for €4 today, works fine and might come in handy some day.

also picked up snow boots in dunnes aswell, €20 down from 50 which was very good, very comfortable and i will be using them for hunting and going threw fields

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week07Thursday12.htm

Lots of things for the garden... little green houses, seeds and plants, doofus'es and thingummyjigs.

Check it out.:D

and more stuff in lidl for the garden too

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=18018

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nice big 5Mx4M tarp in Lidl for €11 next Thursday.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Picked these few bits up yesterday.
    The Waterproof raincoat, 2 emergency blankets and the emergency shelter came from Dealz (southern sister store of the UK's poundland), and the flu kit was from the €2euro store.
    IMAG0180.jpg
    I check out dealz regularly enough and these are new in. They also had a few other camping things such as enamel plates, cups bowls, camping cutlery etc. Note that not everything no their website is in every store and vice versa.

Nothing here is going to be great quality, but for less than €1.50 each I can't complain!

The flu kit has 2 bottles of hand sanitizer, 5 antibacterial wipes and 2 infection barrier masks.
    IMAG0181.jpg
    These have been packed into my first aid kit (which is not far from exploding open at this point!).

Advertisement