Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-02-2012, 14:33   #31
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 253
Dealz and €2 shop

Picked these few bits up yesterday.
The Waterproof raincoat, 2 emergency blankets and the emergency shelter came from Dealz (southern sister store of the UK's poundland), and the flu kit was from the €2euro store.

I check out dealz regularly enough and these are new in. They also had a few other camping things such as enamel plates, cups bowls, camping cutlery etc. Note that not everything no their website is in every store and vice versa.

Nothing here is going to be great quality, but for less than €1.50 each I can't complain!

The flu kit has 2 bottles of hand sanitizer, 5 antibacterial wipes and 2 infection barrier masks.

These have been packed into my first aid kit (which is not far from exploding open at this point!).

Last edited by colonel-yum-yum; 13-02-2012 at 14:43.
colonel-yum-yum is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2012, 16:24   #32
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 884
I've no idea if this is a bargin or not so buyer beware and check what you are getting suits your needs but I noticed that Sam McCauleys chemists have a €150 euro first aid kit reduced to €75.

It would be good if someone who is more of an expert could take a look to see if they are good value or not and report back.

Looked it up for myself and this is the offer http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/as...c=P&catid=47.1

Looks like this


Kit Contents Quantity
• Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1.5IN X 15YD 1
• Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1IN x 10YD 1
• Meditape 2.5CM x 5M Zinc Oxide Tape 1
• Medicare EAB BP 7.5CM x 4.5M 1
• BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 10Cm x 5 M 1
• BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 8cm x 5M 1
• BV Conforming Bandage 10cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 1
• BV Conforming Bandage 7cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 2
• Crest Unichem BP Cotton Wool 25gm 1
• Medicare Fabric Strip 1m x 6cm 1
• Medicare Fabric Plasters (30’s) 1
• Mueller Instant Cold Pack – Medium 2
• Crest Emergency Eye Wash 20ml 2
• Medifreeze Cool Spray 200ml 1
• Wintergreen Spray 200ml 1
• Medicare Calico Triangular Bandage (90 x 127cm) 2
• BV Rescue Sheet Silver 140 x 220cm 1
• Mediwipes Antiseptic Wipes (10s) 1
• Medicare Toughcut Emergency Shears 18cm 1
• Safety Pins 6’s Assorted 1
• Medicare Dressing Scissors 14cm Sharp/Blunt 1
• Urgo Skin Closures 3mm x 75mm (5’s) 1
• Med skin Latex Glove Lightly Powdered Medium 4 Pairs
• Medicare Revive Aid 1
• Medicare Wound Dressing No 9 (Large) 1
• Medicare Wound Dressing No 8 (Medium) 1
• Medicare No 16 Eye Pad Dressing 1

Last edited by baords dyslexic; 13-02-2012 at 20:44. Reason: more info and link
baords dyslexic is offline  
18-02-2012, 10:39   #33
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by baords dyslexic View Post
I've no idea if this is a bargin or not so buyer beware and check what you are getting suits your needs but I noticed that Sam McCauleys chemists have a €150 euro first aid kit reduced to €75.

It would be good if someone who is more of an expert could take a look to see if they are good value or not and report back.

Looked it up for myself and this is the offer http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/as...c=P&catid=47.1

Looks like this


Kit Contents Quantity
• Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1.5IN X 15YD 1
• Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1IN x 10YD 1
• Meditape 2.5CM x 5M Zinc Oxide Tape 1
• Medicare EAB BP 7.5CM x 4.5M 1
• BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 10Cm x 5 M 1
• BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 8cm x 5M 1
• BV Conforming Bandage 10cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 1
• BV Conforming Bandage 7cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 2
• Crest Unichem BP Cotton Wool 25gm 1
• Medicare Fabric Strip 1m x 6cm 1
• Medicare Fabric Plasters (30’s) 1
• Mueller Instant Cold Pack – Medium 2
• Crest Emergency Eye Wash 20ml 2
• Medifreeze Cool Spray 200ml 1
• Wintergreen Spray 200ml 1
• Medicare Calico Triangular Bandage (90 x 127cm) 2
• BV Rescue Sheet Silver 140 x 220cm 1
• Mediwipes Antiseptic Wipes (10s) 1
• Medicare Toughcut Emergency Shears 18cm 1
• Safety Pins 6’s Assorted 1
• Medicare Dressing Scissors 14cm Sharp/Blunt 1
• Urgo Skin Closures 3mm x 75mm (5’s) 1
• Med skin Latex Glove Lightly Powdered Medium 4 Pairs
• Medicare Revive Aid 1
• Medicare Wound Dressing No 9 (Large) 1
• Medicare Wound Dressing No 8 (Medium) 1
• Medicare No 16 Eye Pad Dressing 1
I'm more of a "just gimme gloves, tape, scissors, gauze, a few roller banadages and a load of triangular bandages" kinda guy so I don't pay a lot of attention to the prices of first aid kits. But this strikes me as being pricey enough for what you're getting. Surely you could buy all the components for much less than 75 quid?

I've always thought first aid "packs" are overpriced because of the bag they come in. Anything basic that I carry goes in an ancient manbag and I've never spent anything close to 75 euro on kit.
First Aid Ireland is offline  
25-02-2012, 12:54   #34
Tabnabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,691
Coming up in Aldi http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/sp...uys3_20690.htm

210 Litre Water Butt Set
each €39.99
Tabnabs is offline  
25-02-2012, 19:32   #35
sheesh
Registered User
 
sheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,557
€8 first aid kit. it would be a start

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/sp...uys3_20676.htm
sheesh is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 19:35   #36
sheesh
Registered User
 
sheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Aid Ireland View Post
I'm more of a "just gimme gloves, tape, scissors, gauze, a few roller banadages and a load of triangular bandages" kinda guy so I don't pay a lot of attention to the prices of first aid kits. But this strikes me as being pricey enough for what you're getting. Surely you could buy all the components for much less than 75 quid?

I've always thought first aid "packs" are overpriced because of the bag they come in. Anything basic that I carry goes in an ancient manbag and I've never spent anything close to 75 euro on kit.
I was looking at it
it is pretty huge and you get the bag you would want to have a large family into extreme sports to make it worth your while
sheesh is offline  
Thanks from:
25-02-2012, 20:03   #37
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 884
[QUOTE=sheesh;77286639]€8 first aid kit. it would be a start

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/sp...htm[/QUOTE]

Looks very like the Lidl Car First Aid Kit from a few months back, similar case and survival blanket in both of them, if its anything like the Lidl one which I bought then its excellent value.
baords dyslexic is offline  
26-02-2012, 12:11   #38
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 884
LIDL 6kg Dry Powder ABC - few at €20

Noticed that Lidl have a few 6kg Dry Powder ABC fire extinguishers in fairly tatty boxes. Think these have been in and out of the shops a few times but they seem good value at €20, afaik they were about €40 when they first had them, googling for prices online and €40 seems the sort of price this size of extingusher normally goes for.

6kg should give you about 18-20seconds of use. And the ABC rating means its good on class A materials such as paper, cardboard and wood, class B fires, those fuelled by oils, paints and solvents etc, and class C fires which are fuelled by flammable gases such as propane and methane plus afaik can be used on electical fires.
baords dyslexic is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-03-2012, 13:38   #39
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,897
Lidl have some fishing gear coming up...i know the rods are not great quality but the hooks and stuff might be worth a punt.


http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-...fferdate=18859
the drifter is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-03-2012, 14:20   #40
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by the drifter View Post
Lidl have some fishing gear coming up...i know the rods are not great quality but the hooks and stuff might be worth a punt.


http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-...fferdate=18859
Was just in Woodies today and they have a mass of merchandised fishing gear, and I just picked up the bits I wanted, hooks, swivels and line (far more than I needed) cost me about 8euro. Wanted some split lead shot but that was silly money in a dispenser pack. Anyway good range at Woodies, nothing special about the prices but no pressure to buy like when your in a real fishing tackle shop.

Also picked up the Aldi Car First Aid kit, I have the Lidl one and they are very similar, I prefer the lay out of the Lidl case (it has fold out sections the Aldi one has a single rolled up section which isn't attached to the main case) so I'll keep the Lidl one as is (plus a few extras) in the car and break up the Aldi one for bits to start a smaller personal first aid kit.
baords dyslexic is offline  
Thanks from:
06-03-2012, 14:57   #41
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 884
Mini Maglite LED Flashlight €12 in TK Maxx Waterford

Was also in TK Maxx today not a place I really expect to find a bargin but got a Mini Maglite LED Flashlight €12, kit included batties and a belt holster. This was a further reduction from the previous price €16.99. They had at least another half dozen on the top of the display rack that had stuff that had be reduced. All were a silvery graphite colour quite dark but not black, holster is black.
baords dyslexic is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-03-2012, 00:54   #42
Esel
Not your ornery onager
 
Esel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,498
Anyone know any good deals on chafing fuel aka canned heat aka brand name Sterno? Saw a 2-hour can today for €2.50 in a shop, but there must be better deals out there?

Apparently, if it is ethanol based, you can melt it and drink it - not recommended, but if its the actual end of the EOTWAWKI, who cares?

Last edited by Esel; 07-03-2012 at 21:43.
Esel is offline  
16-03-2012, 13:00   #43
Tabnabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,691
Coming soon to Aldi:
Multi-tool €6.99 http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/sp...uys3_21057.htm

Fruit Bushes €3.99 http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/sp...uys3_21113.htm

Sewing Sets €4.99 http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/sp...uys3_21121.htm
Tabnabs is offline  
19-03-2012, 02:47   #44
Esel
Not your ornery onager
 
Esel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esel View Post
Anyone know any good deals on chafing fuel aka canned heat aka brand name Sterno? Saw a 2-hour can today for €2.50 in a shop, but there must be better deals out there?

Apparently, if it is ethanol based, you can melt it and drink it - not recommended, but if its the actual end of the EOTWAWKI, who cares?
Just to add - found good value on http://www.nisbets.ie/chafing-fuel/q...Search.raction
Esel is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2012, 16:50   #45
ShadowFox
Registered User
 
ShadowFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,007
Aldi have hexi stoves /blocks sleeping bags small rucksacks 20l water carriers in on sunday
ShadowFox is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet