Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Havent looked at this thread in a while....any sign of a reduction in the cost of solar? or has it just increased more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    You can get a second hand charger for around €200 if you are prepared to be on the lookout for a while.

ok, but thats new vs secondhand. Not a fair comparison. Its like saying you shouldnt buy a new car because you can buy one to do the same job for €500?

Switching your existing charger for a Zappi (just for Solar PV reasons) with no grant would be costly alright and is, as you say, not worth it.

Your €400 was referring to someone with no charger though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

When I get the house I will be going for the Zappi straight away, as it allows me to charge off excess solar in the future. It also negate the need of having a priority switch. On top of that I will also qualify for a grant of 600 towards getting the charger! Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    When I get the house I will be going for the Zappi straight away, as it allows me to charge off excess solar in the future. It also negate the need of having a priority switch. On top of that I will also qualify for a grant of 600 towards getting the charger! Win win.

I think is a foollish ideea ... Nice one.
    You will need a healthy minimum installed PV power to have 3.3Kw for EV and rest for overheads. And that in a good day,may to september ... A N D ... while the car is resting in front of the house of course,day time.

480283.jpg

Until then think how much a car will have as a minimum charge so that it will not steal from the grid and use only excess energy from the generated PVs.
    How many chargers could provide a minimum setting for the EV charge !? Does your charger has this functionality ? Does the car has it built-in ? I dont know,sorry .

Maybe a user and owner can provide few graphs showing that the production of the PVs versus EV charging and rate of feeding the electrons from PV to car and / or from grid. I am still looking for a graph these days... but i'm getting only words.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭I says

Hello long time lurker first time posting got a quote today 10 panel estimate performance of 2,700 per yr and a 14 panel 4.8kw battery. I’m thinking about the batteries down the line as most of our needs are after five most enenings. Has anyone a similar setup of both for usage?
    EST cost after grant for both is circa 7k and battery 11k any advice or opinions please.
    Usage around house and farm 6,800kw per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

I says wrote: »
    Hello long time lurker first time posting got a quote today 10 panel estimate performance of 2,700 per yr and a 14 panel 4.8kw battery. I’m thinking about the batteries down the line as most of our needs are after five most enenings. Has anyone a similar setup of both for usage?
    EST cost after grant for both is circa 7k and battery 11k any advice or opinions please.
    Usage around house and farm 6,800kw per year.

I have a 4.2kw east west array with 4.8kwh pylontech battery. 14* 300w panels.

Paid about 6k after grant.

You get a grant of 1k for the battery so why not put in a small one (2.4kwh pylontech) that you can add to later when the price comes down.

Prices will vary depending on a few things. Tesla or LG Chem battery will be more expensive than lesser known Pylontech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

BobFedora wrote: »
    well, thats it really. i know that paying for PV and a new cylinder isn't the smartest thing to do with my money financially. i could pay circa 8k off my mortgage instead.
    but,
    -small change environmentally is better than nothing
    -i (or some combination of me, wife, child) wil be in the house for another 20+ yrs minimum so long term planning
    -i like the idea of having 200L of hot water mostly for free (my current HW cylinder is 120L)

Adding the diverter and adding the hot tank is not making any difference environmentally by having the inverter. You would environmentally make a bigger impact giving the juice away to the grid for free!

You also aren't saving any money on the inverter and new water tank either, it's actually costing you! The break even point would be 30+ years! That's without anything breaking or you getting an electric car in the future.

Now getting an electric car and getting a Zappi charger that can use exactly what you would be exporting to the grid will make a difference both financially and environmentally, you would need a charger for the car irregardless.

Not that I am.diasagreeing, but could you explain the logic.

How is using a diverter not environmentally.sound,.or how is exporting your excess more.envirinmentally.sound ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭midship

I have been following this thread closely and am about to take the plunge into PV. I don’t understand some of the prices quoted..

I came across this kit (https://solartricity.ie/grant-kit-2x7-panel-1/) that seems almost perfect for what I want, 4.6k ex vat which seems to leave me eligible for 3.8k grant. I was thinking somewhere in the region of 1.5k - 2k for an install (single story building, no complexities. So maybe 7k then, add in vat take away the grant and so I was expecting 3.5-4K net.. maybe I am missing something obvious but why are people considering 6-7k a good price?

Also Im reading mixed feedback on planning, as the size will be less than 50% of the roof so I assume I’ll be exempt?

Finally and Unfortunately one side of the roof will be east and the other west, I was thinking to put 7 panels on each side, has anyone experience of such a set up and will it dramatically reduce output?

Thanks

In your scenario its the right choice assuming the Zappi is reliable (remains to be seen).

It doesnt really matter if you use the SolarPV element of it or not it still make sense.

rolion wrote: »
    You will need a healthy minimum installed PV power to have 3.3Kw for EV and rest for overheads. And that in a good day,may to september ... A N D ... while the car is resting in front of the house of course,day time.

Until then think how much a car will have as a minimum charge so that it will not steal from the grid and use only excess energy from the generated PVs.
    How many chargers could provide a minimum setting for the EV charge !? Does your charger has this functionality ? Does the car has it built-in ? I dont know,sorry .

You need about 2kW of excess to charge the EV (not 3.3kW).... looks like you had 3-4kW from 10:00-17:00 today.... that would have put a decent charge into your Leaf.

And of course, yes, it requires the car to be at home. For some people it is at home... If its not for you then it makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Maybe a user and owner can provide few graphs showing that the production of the PVs versus EV charging and rate of feeding the electrons from PV to car and / or from grid. I am still looking for a graph these days... but i'm getting only words.

Good luck.

A foolish idea how exactly? I need a charger anyway or else I have no way of charging my car!

The Zappi sends to the car only what would be sent to the grid, I don't yet have a graph as I don't have solar and the charger but irregardless the Zappi works for me as it negates the need to have a priority switch for the electric shower.

Have a read of this setup with the Zappi charging a leaf with solar panels. Look at the graphs and see how the self consumption matches the solar production.
    Not that I am.diasagreeing, but could you explain the logic.

How is using a diverter not environmentally.sound,.or how is exporting your excess more.envirinmentally.sound ?

This is because it is more efficient (in terms of CO2 output) to heat water via natural gas than it is to heat via electricity. Basically the electricity instead of being wasted on thermal generation can be used directly as electricity where it is needed during the day, instead of the grid having to produce more to make up the difference.
    Technically the diverter would make an environmental difference, but exporting to the grid would make more of a difference for the time being.
    KCross wrote: »
    In your scenario its the right choice assuming the Zappi is reliable (remains to be seen).

It doesnt really matter if you use the SolarPV element of it or not it still make sense.

You need about 2kW of excess to charge the EV (not 3.3kW).... looks like you had 3-4kW from 10:00-17:00 today.... that would have put a decent charge into your Leaf.

And of course, yes, it requires the car to be at home. For some people it is at home... If its not for you then it makes no sense.

I've used all sorts of EVSE's from all different manufacturers including high end ones in work and I have had issues with them all! Including having to send a chargemaster back under warranty. Surely Zappi can't be any worse?

Also the Zappi instructs the car via the communication wires on what amperage to charge it, so it in theory can go below 2kw, how efficient that is though I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭chickey

johnjacob wrote: »
    So what are you doing with the excess?

Be much handier if we could just feed it back into the grid rather than buy batteries

One neighbor has a very old meter and it runs backwards, so they are quids in

I have a very old meter that runs backwards, anyone know what is this likely to mean for billing - given that I will appear to have used very little electricity from grid?

I've used all sorts of EVSE's from all different manufacturers including high end ones in work and I have had issues with them all! Including having to send a chargemaster back under warranty. Surely Zappi can't be any worse?

I've had issues with my own Rolec. These EVSE's, for whats in them, are way too expensive. I dont think the Zappi is any better or worse (reliability wise) than any of the others but its early days for Zappi. They are not on the market as long as Rolec.
    Also the Zappi instructs the car via the communication wires on what amperage to charge it, so it in theory can go below 2kw, how efficient that is though I don't know!

Thats car dependent. Not all cars can go down to the 6A minimum (1.4kW) that the protocol allows.

chickey wrote: »
    I have a very old meter that runs backwards, anyone know what is this likely to mean for billing - given that I will appear to have used very little electricity from grid?

Strictly speaking you are supposed to tell ESB Networks (via an official form) that you have Solar PV. Did you do that?

If you did, its their own problem as they own the meter and it would have been up to them to change the meter to one that doesnt spin backwards.

If you didnt, you are breaking their rules and can sanction you with disconnection... I doubt they would do that but they would be within their rights to do that.

As long as your usage doesnt go negative you'll probably be alright.

Thats car dependent. Not all cars can go down to the 6A minimum (1.4kW) that the protocol allows.

I would love to give it a test and see what it's actually like data wise. Are there any boardsies out there with 5kw of solar and a Zappi charger?

Strictly speaking you are supposed to tell ESB Networks (via an official form) that you have Solar PV. Did you do that?

If you did, its their own problem as they own the meter and it would have been up to them to change the meter to one that doesnt spin backwards.

If you didnt, you are breaking their rules and can sanction you with disconnection... I doubt they would do that but they would be within their rights to do that.

As long as your usage doesnt go negative you'll probably be alright.

Good advice.
    I advise you to call ESB and ask for an immediate upgrade to a least digital meter.

Cant say too much here, but I have been sending to grid KWh and being charged for... can't say but i lost those KW,i paid for them.
    Even if ESB have been notified... i got replaced the analogue spinning meter after 3 months of being double charged with a digital one.

• Advertisement

I would love to give it a test and see what it's actually like data wise. Are there any boardsies out there with 5kw of solar and a Zappi charger?

I have PVs and L24 EV and a car charger (not Zappi) and i can confirm is charging at minimum 6As for as long i setup the charge from the mobile app. Graphs above top of the page,again thanks to @unkel for ideea.

But,i have in mind a second car / second different charger and really love to see how zappi performs in real life... but nothing visual yet...

I have PVs and L24 EV and a car charger (not Zappi) and i can confirm is charging at minimum 6As for as long i setup the charge from the mobile app. Graphs above top of the page,again thanks to @unkel for ideea.

But,i have in mind a second car / second different charger and really love to see how zappi performs in real life... but nothing visual yet...

What you have done with your charger via your app is not alot different to what the Zappi does, except it does it automatically.

You have to manually change yours according to each charge session and as the clouds roll over etc. The Zappi senses it all in realtime and does the EXACT same thing.

Im not sure why you need graphs or proof of the whole thing. Its the same as what you are doing manually yourself.

Whether it works in real life is down to the individuals circumstances (is the car at home and is the sun shining). A graph of it working for person X wont change those two things for person Y.

By L24 do you mean 24kw battery leaf?

If so show me how you did the charging at 6a. it's not available in my app!

If so show me how you did the charging at 6a. it's not available in my app!

He's talking about an app that comes with his charge point, not the Leaf app.

So, the charge point limits the rate to 6A regardless of what the car asks for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

L24 = Nissan Leaf 24kWh BEV

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    L24 = Nissan Leaf 24kWh BEV

lol, you just can't help yourself correcting it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You'd be one of the few regulars in here that will fail Nyland's latest quiz :pac:

Take the test! :D

7 out of 10. I've a good understanding, but certainly no expert! What can I say, I'm an IT kinda guy ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was the same.
    We shall drill it into you.

When you say kw on its own, that is a reference to the power of the motor so you can see how it could cause confusion to other lurkers looking in on the EV forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

10/10:)

garo wrote: »
    10 / 10:)

I know is not linked to my smart meter readings but since i changed the EV charging habit...i got 10KWh per day,thats 10 in a day,10 in other day...10 KWh per day,and mostly at night,what, thats like less than €1 a day !?

Car topping up in the afternoon 100% on the PVs and very little over night at reduced rate.

Complete ZERO consumption for whole day and that is from a ESB sealed meter type... cannot say "too nice" for the environ but lovely for my pocket.

Now,whats next...hmmm

480409.jpg

480410.jpg

480411.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

We've just our first quote in:
    8,150 after grant for ten 300w panels and two 2,400kwh battery storage.
    As above but one battery only 6,900 after grant.
    8 panels no battery for 4,800.
    We have a night meter, approx 40% use on night rate, no one at home during the day most days. Typical usage is about 10kwh per day but this has increased recently since we got an Ampera PHEV which we charge at night right but is sitting in the airport two or three nights a week.
    South facing roof in d12, good access from extension roof to main roof.
    Installer reckons 600e per year saving with the first setup above. We'd be happy with a 12 year ROI but would be hoping not to have to spend 8k.
    Thoughts

Simona1986 wrote: »
    nstaller reckons 600e per year saving with the first setup above.

He's bullsh1tting you.

A 3kwp south facing system in Dublin will generate about 3MWh per year. If you use every single unit of that for something that could not have run at night (like your car or the washing machine), and nothing goes back to the grid for free, then your theoretical maximum saving is:

3000 kWh * 18c = €540

Your real savings are probably more like €200-€300 at the very best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

That sounds a little bit on the high side to me but maybe it is using high spec LG panels and battery.

I have a 4.2kw solar PV and a 4.8kwh of batteries and it came in a nice bit lower.

I'd try a few quotes and if they all still come in the same go back to the one you like most and ask them if they can do something on the price for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

We have a night meter, approx 40% use on night rate, no one at home during the day most days. Typical usage is about 10kwh per day but this has increased recently since we got an Ampera PHEV which we charge at night right but is sitting in the airport two or three nights a week.
    Installer reckons 600e per year saving with the first setup above. We'd be happy with a 12 year ROI but would be hoping not to have to spend 8k.
    Thoughts

It sounds high simona , they love to quote after grant which is annoying,and just think about it the grant technically is between you and the Seai and nothing to do with the installer in reality.!
    The batteries are a big cost on these I have found . I have 2 quotes in and waiting for a third and it is looking like it is more cost advantageous to go without the grant believe it or not .
    My advice is get a few quotes and see where you are then .
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thoughts

Holy crap, thats 11950 for a 3kwp system and 5kwh battery, way too pricy. I got a 6kwp system with 5.6kw inverter, 5kwh battery and hot water diverter for that price.

A benchmark price from one company at the moment, is 10,500 inc vat and before grant for a 4kwp system with 3.6kw inverter and 5kwh battery, so the end cost after grant is 10,500-3,800 = 6,700. (using qcel panels, and good quality hybrid inverter/battery system)

That should be the price you are looking to beat. Your system above is 1400 euro more expensive and only 3kwp instead of 4.

Very expensive I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

niallers1 wrote: »
    Good man, well done.
    We're you tempted to go for 3.9kw or 4.2kw to get max grant?

you got me thinking and i ended up changing,

3.6kW enphase, my eddi immersion, 2.4 KV battery, pretty much max battery,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Agree that quote sounds too high Simona. I have had 5 quotes so far and for 14-16 panels with battery and diverter they range from 7k to 8.5k net.

I would definitely go with a single battery instead of two if you had to go with this person. Think about it this way. It is costing you 1250 for a 2400Wh battery with usable capacity of 2200Wh. It has a rated life of 6000 cycles so you get 13,200 KWh. At the 8c night rate it will cost you 1,056 to get that energy from the grid. And that's assuming you are able to fill up the battery fully on each cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Daharmaster

I have a pitched dormer roof on my house, which covers a lot bedrooms. Are there legitimate health or safety concerns about mounting PV panels over bedroom areas where the panels would in some case be no more than 2-3m from children's sleeping areas?

I have a pitched dormer roof on my house, which covers a lot bedrooms. Are there legitimate health or safety concerns about mounting PV panels over bedroom areas where the panels would in some case be no more than 2-3m from children's sleeping areas?

No, no problems and no safety issues at all.

One megawatt hour produced since my current system was installed in February. Not bad :cool:

480715.jpg

System is expected to produce nearly 4MWh per year. The average Irish household uses 3.5MWh per year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

One megawatt hour produced since my current system was installed in February. Not bad :cool:

System is expected to produce nearly 4MWh per year. The average Irish household uses 3.5MWh per year

Aye, but it's not all during sunshine hours. Our annual usage is approx 3.6Mwh, of which 52% is consumed at night.

Indeed, Mr Spoilsport ;)

Most of my production is going straight back into the grid, gaining me nothing. For the greater good. Reducing our overall emissions and reducing the fossil fuels we are burning to produce electricity. If only every house and every office building would produce more electricity from solar than they use, just like me...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Waltan

Holy crap, thats 11950 for a 3kwp system and 5kwh battery, way too pricy. I got a 6kwp system with 5.6kw inverter, 5kwh battery and hot water diverter for that price.

A benchmark price from one company at the moment, is 10,500 inc vat and before grant for a 4kwp system with 3.6kw inverter and 5kwh battery, so the end cost after grant is 10,500-3,800 = 6,700. (using qcel panels, and good quality hybrid inverter/battery system)

That should be the price you are looking to beat. Your system above is 1400 euro more expensive and only 3kwp instead of 4.

Very expensive I think.

Hi Wexfordman, would you be able to PM me the name of the company providing this system.
    Thanks....

• Advertisement

Waltan wrote:
    Hi Wexfordman, would you be able to PM me the name of the company providing this system. Thanks....

+1

I have got a much more reasonably quote since (although for a smaller system) so I'll update this thread this evening

Indeed, Mr Spoilsport ;)

Most of my production is going straight back into the grid, gaining me nothing. For the greater good. Reducing our overall emissions and reducing the fossil fuels we are burning to produce electricity. If only every house and every office building would produce more electricity from solar than they use, just like me...

After giving away a good portion of the exceeess electricity produced by your hard earned cash PV panels, after 1 year...you went soft and slow and gave up... just happy to give away for free...

Love it @unkel !
    Now,just i go and take a cup of coffee and search for the threads where "everyone of us" was angry for lack of FIT progress...

A reasonable FIT is win win for all parties. Home / business owners get a reasonable return on their investment and for the government it's an extremely cheap way to increase the capacity of the grid (which is needed as more and more stuff gets electrified)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

After giving away a good portion of the exceeess electricity produced by your hard earned cash PV panels, after 1 year...you went soft and slow and gave up... just happy to give away for free...

Love it @unkel !
    Now,just i go and take a cup of coffee and search for the threads where "everyone of us" was angry for lack of FIT progress...

fit will come.........

A reasonable FIT is win win for all parties. Home / business owners get a reasonable return on their investment and for the government it's an extremely cheap way to increase the capacity of the grid (which is needed as more and more stuff gets electrified)
    gally74 wrote: »
    fit will come.........

With no intention to offend you guys... how much you wanna bet "today" that we will not have FIT on these lands !??
    Ive generated 10MWh, giving away 2.5MWh for which someone got paid for... why change it !?

With no intention to offend you guys... how much you wanna bet "today" that we will not have FIT on these lands !??
    Ive generated 10MWh, giving away 2.5MWh for which someone got paid for... why change it !?

ESB have no interest in it and will resist it to the bitter end.

The only hope is the EU dictating it, which is quite possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

ESB have no interest in it and will resist it to the bitter end.

The only hope is the EU dictating it, which is quite possible.

There is a private member's bill before the Oireachtas. I can't see it being defeated, so I'd say it's just a matter of time. I'd be guessing that it's probably 4 years away, because if it's passed (should do within 18 months) the legislation and regulations then need to be figured out.

Simona1986 wrote:
    I have got a much more reasonably quote since (although for a smaller system) so I'll update this thread this evening

New quote options:
    3.25kW array and 5.6kWh battery - 7,683 net
    2.275kW array - 3,707.5 net
    2.6kW array and 2.8kWh battery - 5,692.5 net

I think it's between the two last options above, have to learn more about how our usage varies over the day to see which offers a better roi

Nice one... real congrats !

Going to search for my old DIY topic somewhere here to update it.
    BUT, sorry for lack of modesty...long way to go to beat my 10MWh,10,000KWh ... ;)

480847.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Day 3 of being happy owner of my own 3.6 kwp PV system.
    So far peaked out 3.37 kw out of it on bright sunny day so pretty good output i guess. battery charges up pretty fast as well, but also depletes during night time, since ive got coolwex heat recovery water heating system that is quite taxing on electricity meter :(
    Havent seen meter moving much since PV install so that must be a good sign :D
    Solis inverter mobile software doesn't provide much info apart from panel output, state of charge of battery, household usage and Mr Grid sucking up my juice :) Any ideas guys can I setup solis inverter to provide more detailed info for likes of one above that rolion has?

Still waiting on my grant to be processed but been told by installer that it shouldn't take longer than 4 weeks, so happy out!
    Massive thanks to niall for providing me with details of most competitive PV installer in Ireland!

Stefs_42 wrote:
    Massive thanks to niall for providing me with details of most competitive PV installer in Ireland!

Could you pass that on please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement