Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Pistol with red dot sight

Options
  • 13-05-2019 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Anyone out there using a red dot on a .22 pistol?

Makes? better than iron sights for tired eyes? zeroing? or anything else you've found?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't own a red dot, my pistol won't allow the mounting of one or at least not easily, but i got the chance to use one and the difference is night and day.

I have target sights on my pistol. It adjusts for wind, elevation and are pretty good. You do the normal aiming but i'm finding as i get older i'm struggling to maintain focus. It could me needing glasses at some point in the ear future, but a friend showed me his pistol (unrestricted for any prying eyes reading this) which he had just mounted a red dot sight on.

I tested it and found it to be much easier to acquire the target, stay on target and once i got used to keeping the red dot in the centre of the optics, i found i could group unbelievably well and consistently. Without realising it i was shooting better and tighter groups at 25 yards with this "foreign" pistol than i could with my own even at closer ranges.

I have one option for my own pistol and i'll be making inroads into getting it done asap. But yeah, for me it's the way to go.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

I recently bought a new .22 Grand Power. I also bought a UMTactical mount which fits to the accessory rail on the bottom of the pistol. This allows fitting of most red dots (big or small) etc. via a top picatinney rail set-up.

It does take some getting used to but as I seem to have the same issue as the OP, I can see a major difference in accuracy. Zeroing the red dot is a pain though but worth the effort.

All I need now is practiceeeeeeee.

Overall I don't see a downside except the initial extra money to buy it. You can also use the red dot on another firearm - rifle or shotgun (depending on the red dot

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

I have a Vortex Venom on both my pistols and it not really a matter of which is more accurate but more which is easier to get on target with.

What I found was my eye was switching focus between front and rear sights. Plus with a red dot regardless of how you are holding the gun if the red dot in on the target that is where the round is going, you could be holding the gun up side down, but once the red dot in on the target that is it.

With Iron Sights it takes time, how you hold the gun, present the gun all adds up to how well you shoot with iron sights.

I still pratice with Iron Sights on the Ruger MK4, it's a skill which takes time to master but can be it's own reward. Red Dots take time to get use to also, if you're presenting the gun wrong you'll not see the red dot and will end up search for it. But once you get use to it, its a matter of point, shoot.

As for zeroing, same as any other optics, best to use some form of steady base to rest you hands on when zeroing, even your range bag will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

I have the Grand Power K22 XTrim with a 'TEE' sight base in place of the rear sight. The Red Dot is a Shield.
    I just cannot use iron sights now as my eyes aren't the best now.
    So yes they are easy to use but not so easy to 'Find the red dot' in the quicker competitions.

In the 'Open' gallery pistol comps., T&P1, Multi Target, GP40, etc. I find it best to acquire the the red dot in the starting position (held at 45 degrees) and whilst still looking at the red dot bring it onto the target. You can shoot with both eyes open if you want too.

That is an issue with Red Dot, if you don't present the gun correctly you won't see the Red Dot. It takes a bit of getting use to, and a little harder if you have been shooting Iron Sights, you tend to bring the gun up a little too high to see the Red Dot.

I have the opposite, I shot pistol with Red Dots from day 1 and now trying to master the Iron Sights I'm not bring the gun up high enough. But thats part of the fun, practicing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

Thanks all! As a few of ye have said my eye are getting old & I'm finding it harder to get a decent sight picture on irons :(

Thannks for input I reckon I'm gonn invest in a red dot. Reckon I'll get Vortex Venom. PSX Dupe I see you're using them. They good, worth money?

The Vortex Venom are excellent, plus the come with a lifetime warranty, you break they'll replace it.

I've shot one on the S&W Victory for the last couple of years and when I got the MK4 I had to wait a couple of weeks to get hold of a Venom but decided to wait, they never let me down and battery life is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get one that can adjust to light conditions.Some of the cheaper ones,no matter how bright or low you dial them in,will completley wash out against backrounds in normal to bright daylight irrespective of dot colour. Does it help?In my case yes,being short sighted in my dominant eye,and normal vision in the non dominant eye,makes for intresting iron sight shooting on a pistol as I lose the front sight now completely. Both eye open shooting is possible and alot easier I find with these optic sights.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

IIRC from my research the Vortex Venom has an self adjusting facility.

Anyone know where I can get a decent rail for a Ruger MKIII?

IIRC from my research the Vortex Venom has an self adjusting facility.

Anyone know where I can get a decent rail for a Ruger MKIII?

Volquartsen do a good one but it's a bit high. TandemKross does one (which I have on my MK4) which also fit the MK3.

Both allow you to use the iron sights when the red dot is removed.

• Advertisement

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Volquartsen do a good one but it's a bit high. TandemKross does one (which I have on my MK4) which also fit the MK3.

Both allow you to use the iron sights when the red dot is removed.

Exactly what I'm after :)

Original one with pistol is a bit "flimsy".

Exactly what I'm after :)

Original one with pistol is a bit "flimsy".

Whereabouts are you based, you more than welcome to have a look at the TK rail on my MK4

PM with with details of the ranges you shoot at and we can try arrange something if you want

Member of Midlands but don't get there enough lately with family & work commitments :( Seen pics of your pistols in for sale thread so have an idea of your set up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    I shoot a Docter RD - not cheap - but deffo not the most expensive.
    If your thinking of a RD - make sure it comes with the mount you need - or that you can get the correct mtg.
    And factor in the price for the mtg. - I think mine cost over €70 a few years ago.

Though I think most come with a Picatinny mtg. Nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got a generic red dot,thats close to the Doctor Optic with daylight sensor from www.Sutter-GMBH.com 60 euros +P&P.Fits straight onto picitinny rails. Has worked fine on both .22 and 9mm.:)

https://www.sutter-gmbh.com/Red-Dot-Sight-1x22-Sensor::2518.html

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement