Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Special Event - September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

It's a complete flop I'm not surprised, looking at the new prices there pushing the limits of what even the most dedicated fan will spend. €1679 is off the wall for 500gb,

It’s ludicrous. Surely there has to be a ceiling where people just won’t buy any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

It's a complete flop I'm not surprised, looking at the new prices there pushing the limits of what even the most dedicated fan will spend. €1679 is off the wall for 500gb,

It's not a flop but the prices are very high even if there is some impressive tech inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

adox wrote: »
    It’s ludicrous. Surely there has to be a ceiling where people just won’t buy any more.

Always upgraded every year then every two years. Apple since the 3GS upwards.
    Time to hold onto the 7 plus for another year then unfortunately it’s bye bye Apple.
    Those prices are just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I love my One Plus 5 because of its dash charge. I consider an iPhone every year but always talk myself out of it.

I had a year where I moved from iPhone to a One Plus 3t and the dash charge was just brilliant. Really great. Had a car charger that had dash charge as well which meant my phone was usually fully charged after my 40 minute commute to work.

I’m back on iPhone now because it’s a work phone. Loved the One Plus overall and the dash charge is one thing I definitely miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are you forgetting sales tax in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Noticed there’s no edition model of the Series 4. I never felt the original gold models were real products, I was curious as to how the ceramic did in terms of sales.

I had a year where I moved from iPhone to a One Plus 3t and the dash charge was just brilliant. Really great. Had a car charger that had dash charge as well which meant my phone was usually fully charged after my 40 minute commute to work.

I’m back on iPhone now because it’s a work phone. Loved the One Plus overall and the dash charge is one thing I definitely miss.

I have a car charger as well and i can get about 30% charge on my 10 minute commute. So handy if I forgot to top up the night before!

Are you forgetting sales tax in the US?

I aaabbbbssssolutely am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

For the first time ever, I am thinking about jumping off this runaway train. I am obviously not the target market. I can afford it easily but I feel it necessary to open my eyes and explore the alternatives now....The price is no longer justifiable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Anybody have a very rough idea on how much cheaper than the full price an XS would be on a Vodafone €40 contract?

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Anybody have a very rough idea on how much cheaper than the full price an XS would be on a Vodafone €40 contract?

The X was 799 I think at launch.

Think the Samsung S9+ gets a €200-€300 discount on that plan so probably something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The 5W charger for the max is laughable in 2018 not to include a fast charger is just pure gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Think the Samsung S9+ gets a €200-€300 discount on that plan so probably something similar.

:( eye-watering prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You’d bet wrong. ;)

No I know it was mocked.

Price wise the top tier iPhones are not now for the masses. The r range is for the normal yearly or bi yearly updater. All you are missing out now is oled and the unused force touch. And maybe some camera improvements if you care.

:( eye-watering prices.

You'd be as well signing up for a sim only plan and using the monthly savings on your contract to pay a good chunk off your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

No it's how fast the phone can display content, use a razer for a week and pick up any other phone and it'll feel old and slow. You basically can scroll super fast in lay man's terns.
    I understand what the 120Hz refresh rate is, and I'm familiar with the Razor phone etc. What I was saying is that Apple didn't announce a 120Hz OLED screen, they announced 120Hz touch responsive-ness (e.g. more accurately detecting touches). It's more likely the digitiser under the screen is 120Hz, the actual screen is still 60Hz. I looked at the slide from the event and it is indeed referring to the touch sensitivity.

Yes. The top model is not for everyone. This isn’t a mass phone. (The old iPhone kinda was).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

They've lost me at that price point. I can afford it but I can't justify it. I'm normally a biannual updater at the top of the range but ffs thats more expensive than my macbook air!

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Xr starts at 879eur...Thats INSANE! How much was the iPhone 8 64gb up until today?

The 8+ was 940 or so base. Not sure on the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

€469 for the 44mm Series 4 Apple Watch. So an extra €60. It is £429 which works out at c. €482!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What was the price of the last Gen watch?

I've an iPhone X so I had no interest in updating this year. I was very interested in the Series 4, as I currently have the Series 1 and I'm looking for more power, bigger screen and GPS. After the event I think I've settled on the 44mm version on Friday. Prices weren't as bad (conversion wise) as I'd expected. However, Apple has jacked the price up again. The Cellular version was $399 in the US before the event, now it's just the GPS version that has that price. Hate seeing Apple increasing prices year on year.

Few things from the event, differences between the Xr and Xs include things such as bigger bezels on the former and better cameras on the later. Obviously the LCD v OLED is another factor, but mostly what was rumoured too.
    Ridiculous seeing Apple still including the 5w power brick after earlier rumours expected a faster one, and on top of that removing the headphone dongle. They're just nickel and diming customers at this stage.

Weird to see no Airpower, I've a feeling the updated AirPods could be a silent release on the store. 
    For those asking about iPad, there right be another event next month focusing on new iPads and the Macs, so we might see them this year either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

When you can buy a pocophone for €300 which has very similar specs to an X , it’s getting harder to justify apples prices. I’ve updated every 2 years since the iPhone 3 but won’t next year. Probably will go with a oneplus 7 next year. Smartphone prices are out of control.
    Another factor is the iCloud storage. 5gb free which is beyond miserly in this day and age after spending well over €1000 on their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

No I know it was mocked.

Price wise the top tier iPhones are not now for the masses. The r range is for the normal yearly or bi yearly updater. All you are missing out now is oled and the unused force touch. And maybe some camera improvements if you care.

You’re thinking of force touch. Touch ID was practically lauded.

When you can buy a pocophone for €300 which has very similar specs to an X , it’s getting harder to justify apples prices. I’ve updated every 2 years since the iPhone 3 but won’t next year. Probably will go with a oneplus 7 next year. Smartphone prices are out of control
    There are a lot more to both phones other than specs in fairness. Smaller things like screen quality, build quality, more premium components, Qi charging, cameras etc add value and bring up the price of the iPhone. But I agree that comparing both shows how ridiculous iPhone pricing has become, there's no way the iPhone is worth more than three times the price of the Poco. It's not as black and white as it is on the spec sheet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

€880 for the Xr 64gb is probably too steep for me. Ideally I'd want the 128gb, but €940 is an outrageous price for a phone. I've stuck with the iPhone for the last 10 years, but I might make the jump to the One Plus for my next update. I love the Apple Watch and I'd hate to retire it, but these prices are too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the 8 being discontinued in favour of the XR?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is the 8 being discontinued in favour of the XR?
    Nope, just dropped down the line to a lower price, still on sale but the Xr is kinda taking it's place.

Advertisement