Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah, but now Qualcomm are producing a new SoC. There'll be a slew of new models when that goes full production.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Would anyone know where to get a Huawei Watch Series 1 fixed without costing an arm and a leg? Display does not turn on but is still communicating with the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I used my phone to pay for stuff twice, very amusing. They rarely see it and when they do you can see the shock in their face. Makes the whole thing worth it :p:D

I've got a ticwatch E which I enjoy, depends on if it suits your needs or not though.

Are you saying you paid for stuff with the Ticwatch E? Thought it didn't have NFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

lynvoh wrote: »

I'd be very wary of buying any watch non branded watch that requires me to download an app to my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Zagato wrote: »
    Are you saying you paid for stuff with the Ticwatch E? Thought it didn't have NFC.

''I've used my *phone* to pay for stuff twice ''

;)

ticwatch e doesnt have nfc

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/05/12/qualcomm-and-google-are-developing-a-brand-new-soc-for-wear-os-smartwatches/
    It will be the successor of Snapdragon Wear 2100, but, unlike this SoC which was just a modified Snapdragon 400, it will be a brand new processor made from scratch and specifically based on Wear OS.

If QC pull it off (which presumably they have if a Q4 launch is imminent) then performance is likely to be notably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

Just been reading through the thread and Im currently on the fence what to buy.
    Looking at getting a Smartwatch which is both stylish but also comes with the features. Trouble is there doesn't seem to be many which have both.

I was looking at the Tic watch E but the more i look at it the more it looks too plasticy and cheap (i know it is cheap so you cant complain :) )

So I started looking further and found the Fossil Gen3 Q Explorist Smartwatch | Smoke which is really nice looking but lacks the Heart rate monitor, NFC, and GPS.

Then there is the HUAWEI Watch 2 Classic - Grey which has all of the features but isnt as nice looking and has the smaller screen.

Trying to decide now whether to go for the Fossil and then maybe get a fitness band for when I want to actually work out or go for the Huawei and compromise on looks and screen size.
    Been looking for a few days now and checking out all the available ones but they all have their issues. I think i would like to go with WearOS over Tizen.

Not sure whether to hold off and just wait to see what happens at the end of the year either.

If you're on the fence and not in a rush I'd definitely wait.

ED E wrote: »
    If you're on the fence and not in a rush I'd definitely wait.

Yea there is that option. Just been holding off on this for a while now and coming up to my birthdays so i have a bit of gift money burning in my pocket ;)

• Advertisement

No, thats bloody superb.

Smartwatches: Niche Product
    Subdivide that niche into four: Wear OS, Android, watchOS, Tizen

If we can get all the Samsung market back into the WearOS fold the enthusiasm among devs will probably rise significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

My Gear S3 works properly because it has Tizen on it. I'd planned on upgrading it this year but I'd rather have the choice and not be stuck with Wear OS before we even know if Google have fixed it.

Fixed what, it works fine for me. Maybe it could get the attention it deserves to make it a little faster but other than that no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This is awesome news, always liked the gear, best hardware out there but as it didn't have wearOS it was a no go for me. This will be an instant purchase if true and they don't mess up the design. The S2 is still the nicest design in terms of looks and size, hopefully they go in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have the Gear Sport and just wondering anyone here bought a second charging dock ?
    I was thinking it would be handy to have at work but then seen the official dock is €40 .Is it the same dock used for all the Gear watches ?

Anyone buy a third party one that they would recommend ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have the Gear Sport and just wondering anyone here bought a second charging dock ?
    I was thinking it would be handy to have at work but then seen the official dock is €40 .Is it the same dock used for all the Gear watches ?

I just ordered the following one for my fossil.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2NRMA1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3RXbBbZP8S52G

Reports are it works so be handy to have beside the bed

Nice one. Wanted a spare this long time.

No bother.. Its because it was a good price and I had free shipping with prime I took the gamble on it.

Only thing is it doesn't ship to Ireland so I used parcel wizard... Same as parcel motel but you can choose to get it delivered too you at no extra cost

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

daithilfc wrote: »
    I just ordered the following one for my fossil.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2NRMA1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3RXbBbZP8S52G

Reports are it works so be handy to have beside the bed
    Ordered today,cheers for the link.
    Be handy for the desk at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yabadabado wrote: »

I got one on eBay I was using for the s3. It got fairly hot and the watch displayed that it wasn't an official charger. Seemed to work OK though. The watch went missing not long after I got the charger. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What do people use their android watches for, besides keeping time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Pugzilla wrote: »
    What do people use their android watches for, besides keeping time?

Strava and when i need my phone on silent i get notifications of a call on my wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Paulcon93 wrote:
    The Ticwatch and Amazefit are really nice looking watches.

Paulcon93 wrote:
    The Ticwatch and Amazefit are really nice looking watches.

Ticwatch E was what I wanted, but nowhere stocked them out west...ended up with a huawei watch 2, very nice wear, but more than I would have liked to spend (even with a huge discount) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Got the Gear S3 Frontier in the end, love the watch.

The screen on the device is amazing, so clear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Pebble Time is still my daily driver.
    Even with the servers down it's a great watch.

Advertisement