Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

Would that thing ever get an update?

That's a good point. But who needs updates... 79€

From samsung's web:

Gear S3 Memory = 768MB + 4GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

lynvoh wrote: »
    That's a good point. But who needs updates... 79€

Of course you need updates, technologies are always evolving. It's already a dinosaur

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

If you are buying a big brand watch, consider getting it in USA. I got a brand new Huawei Watch 2 Classic recently in NYC for €200 - it's currently €400 on Amazon, which is a bit steep. I physically looked at every other smart watch I could get my hands on. I think that's really important as what was recommended by some people was very different on my wrist.

Amazon USA can deliver to your hotel, but I've only done this before for smaller items. I went to Best Buy and they will price match other stores, including online retailers like Amazon. They also have some "open box" items, i.e. returns. These range from perfect condition to some wear and tear. Even the ones in perfect condition can be heavily discounted. If you know someone travelling soon it might be an option.

The Watch 2 Classic is a good device. Nice display, runs latest WearOS, has NFC, heart rate, apps. I could get about 1.5 days out of it with moderate use, but I just charge it nightly like my phone. I would like a slightly bigger screen, but otherwise no complaints.

I have used NFC payments on the watch several times in Ireland. The 1st occasion was to see if it worked, and the other few times it has genuinely been handy. I'm quite security conscious and keep my phone and wallet in a breast zip pocket, so to be able to just tap my watch is great. No-one has ever commented on it or even given me a strange look. I think people are used to contactless card and phone payments now.

My OH has an Apple Watch though and I'm perpetually jealous. Pity they don't work with Android phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭patmac

I have an LG Urbane 2, it’s a very impressive looking watch, it doesn’t look like a smart watch and does all I want, has the latest wear 2 software, heart rate, google fit.
    I have it about a year now and am still very impressed wit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm looking to sell a Huawei Watch 2 Sport. Have the 1 and I prefer the look of it.

The 2 has NFC and supports Google Pay.

Does the Gear really only support Samsung Pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I have the Huawei Watch 2 Sport. Got a great price on amazon for it a few weeks back. Google Pay is disabled on Oreo though. It is not officially supported in Ireland. You can re enable it from the play store but after 20 mins or so it disappears from the watch again. Very annoying!

coach22 wrote: »
    I have the Huawei Watch 2 Sport. Got a great price on amazon for it a few weeks back. Google Pay is disabled on Oreo though. It is not officially supported in Ireland. You can re enable it from the play store but after 20 mins or so it disappears from the watch again. Very annoying!

Have they removed it? I have Google Pay on my phone and use it all the time without issue. Or is this only something with the watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Wheety wrote: »
    Have they removed it? I have Google Pay on my phone and use it all the time without issue. Or is this only something with the watch?
    Only disabled on the watch on Oreo but it was one of the reasons I went for the Huawei over Samsung to begin with. Google pay still works on my phone.

Pay still works on the watch but it has to be enabled first through the app store every time which is slow and annoying.

There is an app called Pay Enabler on the watch which is a shortcut to enabling it again in the app store

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone got a decent smartwatch running with a Chinese android phone? Currently have a mi max 2 and I'm in the market for a decent watch to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone got a decent smartwatch running with a Chinese android phone? Currently have a mi max 2 and I'm in the market for a decent watch to go with it.

The phone being Chinese has no impact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

TICWATCH
    good watch? for the 145gbp pricetag

https://eu.mobvoi.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

bigmike99 wrote: »
    TICWATCH
    good watch? for the 145gbp pricetag

https://eu.mobvoi.com/

Just on this i picked up a ticwatch e for 125 euro on geekbuying.

From Hong Kong site so unsure if I will be hit hard for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

recyclops wrote: »
    Just on this i picked up a ticwatch e for 125 euro on geekbuying.

From Hong Kong site so unsure if I will be hit hard for customs.
    Would you not be better paying the extra $10 / €8 to get it shipped from a European warehouse? It'll be here quicker plus no chance of customs.

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/Ticwatch-E-Smart-Watch-Black-392638.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah all were out of stock sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

recyclops wrote: »
    Yeah all were out of stock sadly.
    Ah, didn't realise that!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Does anyone know if Three (Mobile Network) support LTE in a Smart Watch. I would obviously need to have the sim in my phone as well as the watch simultaneously . I want to be able to leave the phone at home while going for a run but still have the ability to answer calls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Three (Mobile Network) support LTE in a Smart Watch. I would obviously need to have the sim in my phone as well as the watch simultaneously . I want to be able to leave the phone at home while going for a run but still have the ability to answer calls

No operator here supports that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ooooh. This looks nice. Fits very well as a replacement for my 360 Gen 1.....

http://www.skagen.com/us/en/lp/falster-smartwatches.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

I've the huawei series 1 and could only see myself changing for the series two so I can get google pay on my wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

I ordered a ticwatch e from Ali Express few weeks ago and still waiting on the b*stards to post it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Carroller wrote: »
    I ordered a ticwatch e from Ali Express few weeks ago and still waiting on the b*stards to post it

love to know what they're like.

god knows I've been hit by enough of their ads...

0pul4

El Inho wrote: »
    love to know what they're like.

god knows I've been hit by enough of their ads...

0pul4

If I ever get it I'll let you know. I have the Samsung gear fit 2 but want something different. I paid extra for DHL and they haven't posted it just a few short replies telling me if I can't wait then cancel order. So gonna let the time run out and cancel automatically

El Inho wrote: »
    I've the huawei series 1 and could only see myself changing for the series two so I can get google pay on my wrist.

I'm looking to sell one. hardly used. Sitting in the box at the moment as I prefer the look of the 1 with the silver strap. Looks more like a 'normal' watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

My Huawei Watch Series 1 has just kicked the bucket and im outside of my warranty, sad times.

I now definitely will be getting a new watch torn between the Huawei Watch 2 and the Gear S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm looking to sell one. hardly used. Sitting in the box at the moment as I prefer the look of the 1 with the silver strap. Looks more like a 'normal' watch.

Have you got it for sale anywhere? I'd be interested

Finally got this in the end. Nice watch and nice feel not too bully and I think it's very lightweight. I don't believe it has GPS uses the phone to track that but has most other things in it. Access to Google play store to download apps and I find the battery is good could easily get two days out of it. Good variety of watch faces too. Spotify only works as a remote control to the phone and you don't even need to download the app for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Finally got this in the end. Nice watch and nice feel not too bully and I think it's very lightweight. I don't believe it has GPS uses the phone to track that but has most other things in it. Access to Google play store to download apps and I find the battery is good could easily get two days out of it. Good variety of watch faces too. Spotify only works as a remote control to the phone and you don't even need to download the app for that.

It does have GPS ;) usually doesn't work inside but outdoors it's useful.

• Advertisement

Advertisement