Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Shape wrote: »
    Just wondering for the push ups do you start on the floor and raise yourself or start with your body raised and lower yourself for the first push up ?
    Thanks

I’m not sure about everyone else but I started in a raised position and lowered myself down for the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

I started from the floor but the first one wasn't counted until I'd gone all the way up and back to elbows at 90 degrees and up again. Don't know if that helps or confuses things!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Probably a stupid question but do they have lockers on the day of the fitness test to use? As in somewhere where our valuables can be put?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Probably a stupid question but do they have lockers on the day of the fitness test to use? As in somewhere where our valuables can be put?

Nah, for the first half it's just a changing room with no lockers, you can keep your bag with you for the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

I completed the test in the last few weeks, here is a few observations from the test day to help people prepare.

Firstly, practice the beep test, a good few failed as they either hadn't actually done one in preparation or did the wrong technique. A treadmill is good for running but it can't really prepare you for 60/70 20 metre runs in seven eight minutes.

Secondly people seem to struggle at level 6/7. Maybe trying fartlek training could be of assistance. If you have to get level 7.6. it might be better to train from 1.6 to 8.6. you get the same number of runs but the increase in pace will stand to you when doing the test.

Thirdly, people said they couldn't find a piece of ground with 20 metres measured. Go to your local GAA pitch and use the 65 and 45 as a guide.

Push/pull and obstacles course seemed to go fine for people, I myself and others knocked barriers, fell over after gates, stepped on mats etc and still got through it with plenty to spare. You'll be fine.

Lastly, for the sit ups, they seem to call the time out at the 30 second,40 and 50 second intervals. Aim to get as much done by the 30 second mark and then plough on. Most got through it.

I used this thread for information and advice and it was good so I decided to pass on the advice to future candidates. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 RussellHobbs

I completed the test in the last few weeks, here is a few observations from the test day to help people prepare.

Firstly, practice the beep test, a good few failed as they either hadn't actually done one in preparation or did the wrong technique. A treadmill is good for running but it can't really prepare you for 60/70 20 metre runs in seven eight minutes.

Secondly people seem to struggle at level 6/7. Maybe trying fartlek training could be of assistance. If you have to get level 7.6. it might be better to train from 1.6 to 8.6. you get the same number of runs but the increase in pace will stand to you when doing the test.

Thirdly, people said they couldn't find a piece of ground with 20 metres measured. Go to your local GAA pitch and use the 65 and 45 as a guide.

Push/pull and obstacles course seemed to go fine for people, I myself and others knocked barriers, fell over after gates, stepped on mats etc and still got through it with plenty to spare. You'll be fine.

Lastly, for the sit ups, they seem to call the time out at the 30 second,40 and 50 second intervals. Aim to get as much done by the 30 second mark and then plough on. Most got through it.

I used this thread for information and advice and it was good so I decided to pass on the advice to future candidates. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.

I'm still waiting to hear about the fitness test. The medical back in early July. I usually do a 5k run every days and trying to beat my fastest time, so far it's 20:36, was hoping this would help with my stamina on the day for the bleep test. Will see if I can practice the actual test though.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.

I'm still waiting to hear about the fitness test. The medical back in early July. I usually do a 5k run every days and trying to beat my fastest time, so far it's 20:36, was hoping this would help with my stamina on the day for the bleep test. Will see if I can practice the actual test though.

Thanks again!

Eh, if you can do 5k in 20:36 (14.56kph) every day and your splits aren't all over the place you will have no trouble at all with the beep!

It starts at 8.5kph and moves up to 12kph at level 8. So if you're running your first 2k at 4:06/4:07 you will fly the beep.

But I'd still download a copy of any beep test to get used to the rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Villa93

Anyone have any issue with push pull machine on the day ? Didn’t get to give it a go at the open day.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Eh, if you can do 5k in 20:36 (14.56kph) every day and your splits aren't all over the place you will have no trouble at all with the beep!

It starts at 8.5kph and moves up to 12kph at level 8. So if you're running your first 2k at 4:06/4:07 you will fly the beep.

But I'd still download a copy of any beep test to get used to the rhythm.

Thanks mate, meant to put '5k every 2/3 days'. Just downloaded the app last night for the beep test, seen level 8 was at 12 or 12.5 kph so not too bad. Will get some practise in with that now over the next few days as I got the email yesterday to say is later this month 😊

Villa93 wrote: »
    Anyone have any issue with push pull machine on the day ? Didn’t get to give it a go at the open day.

In the same boat and yourself mate. I think it should be straight forward enough, been told to use all your body when doing it.

• Advertisement

I did the fitness test two weeks ago passed everything but the push pull. You really need to give it your all as soon as it starts I only got 17kg for the first few pushes then got up to the 22kg in the middle and towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

When you fill out your medical and put your GPs details, what do you do if you didn't go to your GP in ten years and only went to walk in clinics for things like sinus infections as needed? The last doctor I went to was a walk in clinic a year ago. Do you just hand in a list of all the doctors who have seen you then?

I did the fitness test two weeks ago passed everything but the push pull. You really need to give it your all as soon as it starts I only got 17kg for the first few pushes then got up to the 22kg in the middle and towards the end.

God that’s very annoying , I’m sure you’ll get it on the repeat if that’s all you failed though. Fatigue probably plays a part as well cause it’s at the very end.

In the same boat and yourself mate. I think it should be straight forward enough, been told to use all your body when doing it.

Yeah I got to watch others have a go at it and some struggled whilst others didn’t so it’s hard to know. Would have liked to get a feel for it that day , have no idea what to expect with it in terms of difficulty.

God that’s very annoying , I’m sure you’ll get it on the repeat if that’s all you failed though. Fatigue probably plays a part as well cause it’s at the very end.

Yeah hopefully I’ve an idea of it now! Yeah they do rush you in straight after the obstacle course to do it so you’re dying. Just make sure you give it your all as soon as you push it.

What do you have to get, kg wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Over 3 minutes on obstacle course 25 kg. Under 3 minutes 22.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

When you fill out your medical and put your GPs details, what do you do if you didn't go to your GP in ten years and only went to walk in clinics for things like sinus infections as needed? The last doctor I went to was a walk in clinic a year ago. Do you just hand in a list of all the doctors who have seen you then?

No idea but would be interested to see an answer from someone in a similar position

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GLdeC

I was in the same situation, I just told the doctor there that I did not have a personal GP and that last time I have been to one was over 7 years ago. He just said grand and never asked anything else. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

Henry2006 wrote: »
    No idea but would be interested to see an answer from someone in a similar position

You'll be fine. Just put down the details of the GP that you go to. I haven't been to my GP in around 7 years. It won't cause any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Anybody scheduled for a PCT on a Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭weetabix12345

Anyone here who has passed everything receive a place in the October intake?

Yeah I passed my fitness test only last week and got a place in the October batch less than a week after

Fair play Best of luck, unfortunately I’m stuck in the vetting stage so won’t make the October intake

• Registered Users Posts: 21 roc16

Hey all.. posting on behalf of someone. They have completed the physical and medical. The Only thing he’s waiting on is a meeting with superintendent. He’s called and they aren’t sure why this stage hasn’t been completed. They told him it should have been before he completed the physical. Is anyone else in the same boat? They aren’t sure where his file is and they just told him to wait. Completed his physical in August.

roc16 wrote: »
    Hey all.. posting on behalf of someone. They have completed the physical and medical. The Only thing he’s waiting on is a meeting with superintendent. He’s called and they aren’t sure why this stage hasn’t been completed. They told him it should have been before he completed the physical. Is anyone else in the same boat? They aren’t sure where his file is and they just told him to wait. Completed his physical in August.

It all depends on how busy the supers office is, I have heard of people having the meeting before the medical and the physical and others waiting on it as your friend is. Ring HRM maybe find out what stage he’s at and weather they can locate the file *(01) 666 2571‬

• Registered Users Posts: 21 roc16

It all depends on how busy the supers office is, I have heard of people having the meeting before the medical and the physical and others waiting on it as your friend is. Ring HRM maybe find out what stage he’s at and weather they can locate the file *(01) 666 2571‬

Thanks for the reply.. I’ll get him to call that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Hi All, I passed Interview mid Sept and got [snipped]. Vetting is currently being processed with only my husbands brother living in the US no one else abroad. waiting on getting called for medical and fitness. Do ye think I will be waiting long and how should i go about keeping things moving? Who to contact etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roche2018

Just a quick question, Anyone completed the physical test, when your doing the sit ups, is somebody holding your feet as a support during the test?? Pretty sure I saw that in a video! Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Roche2018 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, Anyone completed the physical test, when your doing the sit ups, is somebody holding your feet as a support during the test?? Pretty sure I saw that in a video! Just curious!

Yea, they will stand/hold your feet. Whichever you prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 User7

Hi, I just passed my interview last week my oom was middle 300's. Just seen people posting that they still have t been accepted since summer 2017? Just wondering could I actually be waiting this long or is there a reason people are waiting that long? Still haven't had a date for medical or met with my super

Advertisement