Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭NedNew2

road_high wrote: »
    Surely there's no need to upgrade both the N25 between Watrerford and New Ross as well as the R link road between M9 Mullinavat and New Ross? I know it's shorter but that does seem a bit fanciful.

I disagree. The alternative via Waterford
    adds an extra 16km which is substantial.

The direct route, the R704, just needs some bends removed and some widening, nothing too serious or costly. It's not fit for purpose at the moment though. In fact it's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Whilst westwards traffic coming off the new Barrow Bypass bridge can continue it's journey on the N25 towards Waterford & beyond, the traffic that wants to access the M9 motorway northwards towards Dublin & the midlands will have to still travel up the west side of the river (via the current section of the N25 towards New Ross) to access the R704.

A short spur road on the west side of the new bridge going north west towards a connection with the R704 would avoid bringing this traffic up to the west side of New Ross / Rosbercon.

And the R704 is a dangerous road, Heavy Goods Vehicles are now being advised to access Ross via the M9 & N25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Surely New Ross - Dublin would be quicker via Enniscorthy? Or that there's many traveling to Carlow/ Kilkenny.

man98 wrote: »
    Surely New Ross - Dublin would be quicker via Enniscorthy? Or that there's many traveling to Carlow/ Kilkenny.

Only if you are coming from south east Dublin. There isn't much in it, the deciding factor is where in Dublin you're coming from. The M9 is nice and quiet though.

Only if you are coming from south east Dublin. There isn't much in it, the deciding factor is where in Dublin you're coming from. The M9 is nice and quiet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The M9 is the easier drive but once Enniscorthy is bypassed and once the current N11 works are done then the N11 will win absolutely hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Most people I know driving from south west Wexford used to drive to New Ross & then up through Bagnalstown & Carlow on the old N9 (now R448). Nowadays they use the M9. The Ballyhack - Passage ferry is another option to access the M9 but adds to the cost.

It does depend on what part of Dublin you're going to, and what road improvements have been made on the way :pac:

Traditionally you would avoid Bunclody & Tullow unless you wanted a bumpy ride!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The M9 is the easier drive but once Enniscorthy is bypassed and once the current N11 works are done then the N11 will win absolutely hands down.

Depends on what they do with the R705 I guess. That N30 between New Ross and Enniscorthy is pretty hit and miss and is the N11 between Clogh and Enniscorthy going to be upgraded in tandem ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

road_high wrote: »
    is the N11 between Clogh and Enniscorthy going to be upgraded in tandem ?
    Yes
    It'll be DC/Motorway from Dublin to just north of Oylegate, and eventually,(maybe within the next 7-10 years), to Rosslare,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

jd wrote: »
    Yes
    It'll be DC/Motorway from Dublin to just north of Larne, and eventually,(maybe within the next 7-10 years), to Rosslare,

Fixed that for ya ;o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes
    It'll be DC/Motorway from Dublin to just north of Oylegate, and eventually,(maybe within the next 7-10 years), to Rosslare,

Honestly believe it when I see it. Will do well to get the N25 New Ross and N11 Enniscorthy bypasses done I reckon, that would be major progress. Not sure how high the other projects rank, I'd guess there's a lot of others ahead on the priority list.

While the New Ross Enniscorthy bypasses are feasible and probably will happen next year, I can't see a M/ DC road past Oylegate. Oylegate, Ferrybank, Tagoat and Kilrane have no problems with traffic or trucks, the road is already fine imo.

While the New Ross Enniscorthy bypasses are feasible and probably will happen next year, I can't see a M/ DC road past Oylegate. Oylegate, Ferrybank, Tagoat and Kilrane have no problems with traffic or trucks, the road is already fine imo.
    The process for Rosslare-Enniscorthy is stalled at the moment, but if/when the road is built it will be at least Type 2 (2+2) Dual Carriageway.

The process for Rosslare-Enniscorthy is stalled at the moment, but if/when the road is built it will be at least Type 2 (2+2) Dual Carriageway.
    I know all of this, but I still see little point in building a new road. Not that I'm anti-development, but all that's need is possibly 2+2 around Wexford and through Ferrycarrig, along with 2+1 to Rosslare or Oylegate covering the existing route.

I know all of this, but I still see little point in building a new road. Not that I'm anti-development, but all that's need is possibly 2+2 around Wexford and through Ferrycarrig, along with 2+1 to Rosslare or Oylegate covering the existing route.
    We're kind off topic at this point, but the NRA aren't going to build any more 2+1's. There isn't much difference in land take between them and 2+2's (of the Rooskey scheme standard :) )

n41-large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Fixed that for ya ;o)

The project to upgrade the single-carriageway section of the A8 in Northern Ireland to dual-carriageway is coming along nicely.

Once that's done, and the Enniscorthy bypass is finished, it'll be motorway/dual-carriageway all the way from north of Oylgate to Larne Harbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Given that both south Wales ports don't have dc or motorway nearby on a road that connects London and more to them I would doubt we could go one better this side. So no oilgate etc bypass in our Lifetime

Whilst westwards traffic coming off the new Barrow Bypass bridge can continue it's journey on the N25 towards Waterford & beyond, the traffic that wants to access the M9 motorway northwards towards Dublin & the midlands will have to still travel up the west side of the river (via the current section of the N25 towards New Ross) to access the R704.

A short spur road on the west side of the new bridge going north west towards a connection with the R704 would avoid bringing this traffic up to the west side of New Ross / Rosbercon.

And the R704 is a dangerous road, Heavy Goods Vehicles are now being advised to access Ross via the M9 & N25.

I think that would be a great idea too. There's a lot of transport lorries (Nolan Transport) that use the R705 from Muine Bheag on their way to New Ross from Dublin. There is a sign on the exit from the M9 to R704 from Mullinivat that discourages lorried from using that route. With small improvements then these lorries could avoid Muine Bheag, Borris and Graignamanagh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Given that both south Wales ports don't have dc or motorway nearby on a road that connects London and more to them I would doubt we could go one better this side. So no oilgate etc bypass in our Lifetime

You would think, but nonetheless such a road is planned. It's unclear why considering far more important schemes are on ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The current NRA plan is for a Type 2 dual-carriageway from the terminus of the Enniscorthy bypass to Rosslare Port.

I don't know what age you are so I can't say if it'll be built in your lifetime or not! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The current NRA plan is for a Type 2 dual-carriageway from the terminus of the Enniscorthy bypass to Rosslare Port.

I don't know what age you are so I can't say if it'll be built in your lifetime or not! :D

Type 2 until South of Wexford and meet with the N25 which will be Type 1/Motorway between Rosslare-West of Waterford Bypass, Dungarvan Bypass and East of Youghal to Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Type 2 until South of Wexford and meet with the N25 which will be Type 1/Motorway between Rosslare-West of Waterford Bypass, Dungarvan Bypass and East of Youghal to Cork.
    Not sure that's right - the only Type 1 planned for the N25 is Waterford to Glenmore. All the rest will be 2+2 or singler.

N25 Carrigtwohill - Midleton upgrade was planned to be Type 1, as was Midleton to Youghal. I'd imagine Type 2 for everything else remaining.

Moving on a bit
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/consortium-led-by-construction-group-bam-in-pole-position-to-win-220m-road-contract-1.2030291
    A consortium led by construction group BAM is in pole position to win a €220 million road building contract from the State. BAM has confirmed that the National Roads Authority has announced it as the preferred bidder for the N25 New Ross bypass in the southeast.
    The announcement means its consortium, BAM Iridium, is the most likely candidate for the contract, which is valued at €220 million.
    The work will involve a bridge over the river Barrow, a railway bridge at Glenmore, dual and single carriageway stretches of road and three roundabouts

'Only' €220m? I'm very surprised at that. Its a short distance of road, but getting Ireland Longest Bridge in there for that price is quite the achievement I reckon.

I hope we have a NewRoss-er on these forums to take photos of its construction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A railway bridge? Really?
    when did the last train go through Glenmore?

A railway bridge? Really?
    when did the last train go through Glenmore?

The early 1980's. It was freight only then.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

NedNew2 wrote: »

Good to see that the line is being preserved though, whether it be for the planned greenway or the much likely return of the train! Forward thinking nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

NedNew2 wrote: »

Good to see that the line is being preserved though, whether it be for the planned greenway or the much less likely return of the train! Forward thinking nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Any word on the enniscorthy by pass that was supposed to commence at the same time as New Ross?

• Advertisement

barney 20v wrote: »
    Any word on the enniscorthy by pass that was supposed to commence at the same time as New Ross?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90040076#post90040076

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Where can I find map of the planned New Ross bypass?
    Ideally showing layout of the junctions and other details not just the route.
    But even just the route map would be good for the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Geogregor wrote: »
    Where can I find map of the planned New Ross bypass?
    Ideally showing layout of the junctions and other details not just the route.
    But even just the route map would be good for the beginning.

Taken from the 2007 EIS:

Scheme Route:

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/NationalRoadsLiaisonOffice/M11GoreytoEnniscorthyScheme/Thefile,8141,en.pdf

Alignment Drawings:

http://www.wexford.ie/largefiles/EIS/Vol2/Figure%2003.1%20a%20to%20k.pdf

tonc76 wrote: »

Thanks.
    Do we know anything more about the bridge design? I mean the long one, over the river Barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

Are they nasty non-futureproof roundabouts at the two N25 junctions? At the western end of the scheme, the New Ross bypass has to be a mainline with slips off it for the existing N25 north and south with the future Slieverue to Glenmore scheme to join in seamlessly from the west. Is the bypass even DC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bizguy wrote: »
    Is the bypass even DC?

Its going to be T2 DC I believe. Roundabouts are normal on T2DC unfortunately.

It'll be much better than what's there but a bit of an opportunity lost I think.

Does anyone know if the Waterford bypass is Type 2 as well? Reason I ask is a) it's also the N25 and b) because this has 2 GSJs on it with roundabouts at each end. According to maps I've seen, the eastern roundabout will be removed if and when the Slieverue scheme goes ahead.

bizguy wrote: »
    It'll be much better than what's there but a bit of an opportunity lost I think.

Does anyone know if the Waterford bypass is Type 2 as well? Reason I ask is a) it's also the N25 and b) because this has 2 GSJs on it with roundabouts at each end. According to maps I've seen, the eastern roundabout will be removed if and when the Slieverue scheme goes ahead.

No, the Waterford Bypass is HQDC standard (Type 1)

L1011 wrote: »
    No, the Waterford Bypass is HQDC standard (Type 1)

Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ireland's great at going backwards before realizing we should of done something else.

I guess it wouldn't take massive works to upgrade the Type 1 in future but it would be a unnecessary expense.

Waterford is Type 1. No need for New Ross to be anything more than Type 2 with one GSJ for the town. The N25 doesn't carry enough traffic for full grade separation along its length, even though we'd love it.

The bridge, as far as I can remember, will be an Extrados style.

Imho the bridge is way too Celtic Tigeresque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Maybe they had an economist design it.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

My understanding is that because the bridge is so large and prominent, that it was designed as an extradosed bridge to improve it's aesthetic appearance. One reason that extradosed bridges aren't built more often is because they're materially wasteful compared to the alternatives like box girder bridges.

The options for the Barrow bridge would have been a box-girder type viaduct (like the Fermoy Viaduct or the Foyle Bridge), or a cable-stayed bridge (like the Suir or Boyne Bridges). The extradosed bridge offers something in the middle, but prettier than a box girder bridge and cheaper than a cable-stayed bridge.

The River Erne Bridge on the Belturbet bypass was built with an extradosed form for this reason.
    The importance of providing an elegant structure with aesthetically pleasing geometry whilst minimising the visual impact on the surrounding landscape was a key principle during the conception and development of the bridge.

http://www.rod.ie/river-erne-bridge-ireland/

Are there any renders of the bridge available?

• Advertisement

Without a doubt... its bigger and grander than the Waterford bridge which is overkill in itself.

That said, build either of them as S2 and it just wouldn't be enough. D2 is over the top, but far, far more sensible than S2.

This bridge is far longer than the Erne Bridge though. 1,200 metres is unnecessary in itself.

At this stage, the cost of redesign works and a new planning application could easily be more than any savings from a simpler bridge - if such a design could even be found. Its a LONG bridge and it needs to give a certain clearance due to the small amount of remaining activity in New Ross port so you're already rather constrained in terms of design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Without a doubt... its bigger and grander than the Waterford bridge which is overkill in itself.

Doesn't the bridge have to be high enough to clear the navigation channel underneath?

The old documents say something like 36m high for the deck. It'll be a huge bridge. Definitely Irelands longest (by some margin) and probably, when its done, the most impressive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement