Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

when is new ross bypass starting/completion? it is a badly needed piece of infrastructure in the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Max Powers wrote: »
    when is new ross bypass starting/completion? it is a badly needed piece of infrastructure in the SE.

Won't be open until around 2017, work starts in 2015 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I wonder will the N25 from Waterford to Cork ever be progressed. I doubt it given current financial affairs. I drive it often and during daylight hours it can be manic - add a tractor or stubborn slow driver to the mix and a trip from Waterford to Cork can be 2.5 hours..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Bards

FGR wrote: »
    I wonder will the N25 from Waterford to Cork ever be progressed. I doubt it given current financial affairs. I drive it often and during daylight hours it can be manic - add a tractor or stubborn slow driver to the mix and a trip from Waterford to Cork can be 2.5 hours..!

I drive this road often, and that is a bit ofan exageration, there is plenty of overtaking oppurtunities on this road.

Should take no more than 2 hours at the very most, but on average it take 1.5 hours.

The only bit that needs to be upgraded is on the cork side between killeagh and midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I wonder will the recent flooding in New Ross making a national road impassable do anything to accelerate the progress on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

PoolDude wrote: »
    I wonder will the recent flooding in New Ross making a national road impassable do anything to accelerate the progress on this?

Simple answer is No, no money and with the extra costs now required for flooding and flood defences it could have a negative affect but that's probably unlikely. Will be lucky if the current timeframe is stuck to.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pk88

Pre-quals are already started lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

pk88 wrote: »

For the non-technical among us, what are pre-quals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

fricatus wrote: »
    For the non-technical among us, what are pre-quals?

It's one of the stages of the tender process - essentially a vetting process - that looks at various criteria from the size of the candidate, past projects, financial status (e.g. are any of the members of the consortium in financial rouble like SIAC who are currently under examinership) etc.

If you want more details see the documents attached to the tender that was announced last march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

pk88 wrote: »

Pre-quals finished last year and the tender/consultation meeting process is well under way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 pk88

Oh my mistake. Was late last year then, I work for one the jvs thats tendering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Any idea whether they'll close the small gap of single carriageway between New Ross and Waterford with this bypass by making it a clean dualler?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No. Thats a seperate scheme N25 Waterford - Glenmore. http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n25-waterford-to-glenmore/

Suspended at the moment but route selection is done apparently. That bit of road isn't too bad compared to other bits of similarly trafficed N road anyway... although it would be nice to have 2+2 the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No. Thats a seperate scheme N25 Waterford - Glenmore. http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n25-waterford-to-glenmore/

Suspended at the moment but route selection is done apparently. That bit of road isn't too bad compared to other bits of similarly trafficed N road anyway... although it would be nice to have 2+2 the whole way.

The whole New Ross-Waterford route is not a bad road really. Decent wide hard shoulders and some useful long climbing lanes. But it has a poor accident record due to the numerous junctions on the road vs the fast pace of the traffic. The New Ross bypass scheme will at least eliminate some of this when built. The remaining gap is relatively small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Gone under appraisal with the EIB from yesterday.

http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

The project is being procured as a Public Private Partnership. The PPP contract will be tendered following the negotiated procedure with publication in the OJEU (on the 26th of March 2013, ref. 2013/S 060-099805). The ITN was issued in November 2013 and four firms were shortlisted. Tenders are due in June 2014 with the award of contract/financial close expected by Q1, 2015. In keeping with EU Directive 2004/18/EC, the procedure is acceptable to the Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

From the Wexford People (no link yet). From Wexford County Council report

WORK ON the New Ross Bypass is to begin in early 2015, while work on the Enniscorthy Bypass is to start in mid 2015.

Responding to a question from Cllr Paddy Kavanagh, Director of Services for Roads, Eamonn Hore told the meeting that both projects remain on track, adding that they will be finished by the end of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Are there any plans for a more direct regional road to be built / upgraded from the west side of the new Barrow Bridge, (New Ross bypass ) perhaps around the Glenmore N25 junction to access the M9 motorway at Mullinavat junction 11?

It appears that N25 traffic which has crossed to the west side of the bridge will still have to travel back up to the R704 west of New Ross to access the M9 after the Barrow bypass is built.

A direct road west of the Barrow Bridge bypass heading north west to access the R704 would be ideal for those who wish to get to the motorway, and avoid traffic build up west of New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I assume you need to go via the Waterford bypass. Otherwise Inistioge is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Mullinavat to New Ross is very mountainous.

Surely there's no need to upgrade both the N25 between Watrerford and New Ross as well as the R link road between M9 Mullinavat and New Ross? I know it's shorter but that does seem a bit fanciful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

road_high wrote: »
    Surely there's no need to upgrade both the N25 between Watrerford and New Ross as well as the R link road between M9 Mullinavat and New Ross? I know it's shorter but that does seem a bit fanciful.

I disagree. The alternative via Waterford
    adds an extra 16km which is substantial.

The direct route, the R704, just needs some bends removed and some widening, nothing too serious or costly. It's not fit for purpose at the moment though. In fact it's dangerous.

Whilst westwards traffic coming off the new Barrow Bypass bridge can continue it's journey on the N25 towards Waterford & beyond, the traffic that wants to access the M9 motorway northwards towards Dublin & the midlands will have to still travel up the west side of the river (via the current section of the N25 towards New Ross) to access the R704.

A short spur road on the west side of the new bridge going north west towards a connection with the R704 would avoid bringing this traffic up to the west side of New Ross / Rosbercon.

And the R704 is a dangerous road, Heavy Goods Vehicles are now being advised to access Ross via the M9 & N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Surely New Ross - Dublin would be quicker via Enniscorthy? Or that there's many traveling to Carlow/ Kilkenny.

man98 wrote: »
    Surely New Ross - Dublin would be quicker via Enniscorthy? Or that there's many traveling to Carlow/ Kilkenny.

Only if you are coming from south east Dublin. There isn't much in it, the deciding factor is where in Dublin you're coming from. The M9 is nice and quiet though.

man98 wrote: »

Only if you are coming from south east Dublin. There isn't much in it, the deciding factor is where in Dublin you're coming from. The M9 is nice and quiet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The M9 is the easier drive but once Enniscorthy is bypassed and once the current N11 works are done then the N11 will win absolutely hands down.

Most people I know driving from south west Wexford used to drive to New Ross & then up through Bagnalstown & Carlow on the old N9 (now R448). Nowadays they use the M9. The Ballyhack - Passage ferry is another option to access the M9 but adds to the cost.

It does depend on what part of Dublin you're going to, and what road improvements have been made on the way :pac:

Traditionally you would avoid Bunclody & Tullow unless you wanted a bumpy ride!

The M9 is the easier drive but once Enniscorthy is bypassed and once the current N11 works are done then the N11 will win absolutely hands down.

Depends on what they do with the R705 I guess. That N30 between New Ross and Enniscorthy is pretty hit and miss and is the N11 between Clogh and Enniscorthy going to be upgraded in tandem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

road_high wrote: »
    is the N11 between Clogh and Enniscorthy going to be upgraded in tandem ?
    Yes
    It'll be DC/Motorway from Dublin to just north of Oylegate, and eventually,(maybe within the next 7-10 years), to Rosslare,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭veryangryman

jd wrote: »
    Yes
    It'll be DC/Motorway from Dublin to just north of Larne, and eventually,(maybe within the next 7-10 years), to Rosslare,

Fixed that for ya ;o)

Advertisement