Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suing VW over emissions scandal... Mod warning post 313

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

On point 3 I believe you are currently offered and entitled to a complimentary, fuelled courtesy car for up to 24hrs while your car is in for the campaign so there's no real reason to miss work.

Maybe you might miss an hour if you don't live too close to a dealer but if they are offering a free replacement vehicle, there's no excuse for missing a day really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

grogi wrote: »
    It is against the same posture that brought the insurance market to the mess it is right now. It is against any frivolous suits and using the courtroom for private games and gains.

As you said - free money. Compensation is not free money - it is COMPENSATION for SOMETHING. I keep asking - what do people want compensation for. And only thing I hear is "something that might happen in future". The car might fail NCT (maybe), the depreciation will be harder (maybe), the car might be banned from the road (not going to happen) etc etc. So, when all those horrible things happen, is the time to file a suit.

By filing now the plaintiffs are just diluting the gravity of the issue.

I hate what VW did and I have expressed it multiple times - I believe it should be made bankrupt. But the money should go to offset the pollution - by investing into clean motoring, exp. EV infrastructure. Not to be spend by Joe Average to buy another... VW.
    It is compensation for something it's fairly obvious what the compensation is for.

It's nothing like the insurance industry, vw won't put the price up because the lost a load of money on payouts.

The bottom line is they lied and cheated and mislead everybody, they accept that fact, judges in the US accept that, what is your problem and why are you so defensive on the issue? Is you job at steak over it or something?

On point 3 I believe you are currently offered and entitled to a complimentary, fuelled courtesy car for up to 24hrs while your car is in for the campaign so there's no real reason to miss work.

Maybe you might miss an hour if you don't live too close to a dealer but if they are offering a free replacement vehicle, there's no excuse for missing a day really.
    I have an excuse I'm a taxi driver the rental car wouldn't help me from missing the day(or maybe half day).

iamtony wrote: »
    I have an excuse I'm a taxi driver the rental car wouldn't help me from missing the day(or maybe half day).

The update can be done in around 30 mins, you could go on your lunch :)

Either way, you're viewing that from a business perspective and your requirements of the vehicle are different to that of a private user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Source please.
    Ah it's everywhere. It's not up for debate at this stage
    1. Compensation is not due to consumer, but whole society.
    Customer made pollution choice, arguably paying more for non polluting car. Customers money made the purchase. Customer entitled to compensation.

2. Yes, needs assesement. But it was proven multiple times here there is no loss at the moment.
    As I say, should be looked at regardless.
    3. I like it.
    Yes and regardless of hire cars, I'm an hour from dealer so significant time involved.
    4. Where's the loss there?

Fraudulent misrepresentation clearly at play here. It is comical to argue that no loss here. This type of misrepresentation over and above other forms such as negligent misrepresentation can easily invalidate contracts. So should vw offer compensation or face the prospect of people returning cars based on invalid contract due to fraudulent misrepresentation which can be easily proven and the losses associated with it reasonably assessed. A good solicitor could surely make the case that having bought a car on false pretenses, that a customer was entitled to invalidate the contract.

The update can be done in around 30 mins, you could go on your lunch :)

Either way, you're viewing that from a business perspective and your requirements of the vehicle are different to that of a private user.

The update CAN be done in about 30 minutes, although its not just an update on my engine they need to ass that extra part. In reality you'd be their for an hour or 2 plus if I had an appointment with them at 12 is have to stop work at 10ish just incase I got a long job or something.
    I Don't think it should make a difference if I'm a business user or not its still an excuse;-)
    Anyway this isn't a big issue either way. In reality I'd have a service done at the same time and get them to lookat a few warranty issues that need attention I was just making the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It is compensation for something it's fairly obvious what the compensation is for.

I start to get tired of the same old song...
    It's nothing like the insurance industry, vw won't put the price up because the lost a load of money on payouts.

I am not talking about the result, but the source of the mess. There is some "free money" - so let's sue...
    The bottom line is they lied and cheated and mislead everybody, they accept that fact, judges in the US accept that, what is your problem and why are you so defensive on the issue? Is you job at steak over it or something?

No, I have no affiliation to VAG nor motor industry at all.

And I have said it many many times - VW needs to pay. An example should be made of it, they should sweat like Finns in a sauna...

But that money should be spent wisely - investments in sustainable means of transport. I hate Dublin but I might hate it less if a few more tram lines were built from that money. Or EV. Or hydrogen.

I start to get tired of the same old song...

I am not talking about the result, but the source of the mess. There is some "free money" - so let's sue...

No, I have no affiliation to VAG nor motor industry at all.

And I have said it many many times - VW needs to pay. An example should be made of it, they should sweat like Finns in a sauna...

But that money should be spent wisely - investments in sustainable means of transport. I hate Dublin but I might hate it less if a few more tram lines were built from that money. Or EV. Or hydrogen.
    Well my apologies I hadn't read the whole thread but I don't see why the state should be gaining again(remember the vrt they collect) when they didn't buy the car they won't loose out because of this at all but the people who actually paid for the cars will. You can argue all you want that we may or may not loose out, you could do that all day but it's still won't change the fact that we will more than likely suffer one way of another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the court case based on the state recalculating and reapplying VRT and road tax to dieselgate cars? Cos that isn't gonna happen.

• Advertisement

Well my apologies I hadn't read the whole thread but I don't see why the state should be gaining again(remember the vrt they collect) when they didn't buy the car they won't loose out because of this at all but the people who actually paid for the cars will. You can argue all you want that we may or may not loose out, you could do that all day but it's still won't change the fact that we will more than likely suffer one way of another.

Your tunnel vision and the lack of wider view is just scary.

Let me start by stating that it is not government's money. It is money of Irish people the Government is simply managing. It does not go to the money pool Taoiseach swims every morning, but to finance HSE, help single mothers, elderly etc. You might not always agree the money is spend wisely or efficiently - but that's a different matter.

If the government collects additional money, be it from taxes or fines, it does not win anything. There is not a game we vs them. That money goes to finance those things and to pay the dept.

Let's continue - the point of making VW sweat is to discourage similar behaviour in future. The penalty should be so big that it is not worth playing the cheating game.

Regardless of what the penalty is or should be. The penalty is not about now, it is about tomorrow. It always is with justice. What good does locking a murderer away make? Hardly any now... Sure there is a bit of the feeling that justice is being served so much needed by the families and relatives of the victims. But it achieves two much more important things in future: same monster is not going to touch anybody else IN FUTURE and a different monster might think twice before doing same IN FUTURE.

And back to compensations... Rule is simple: only when you suffer a loss - only then demand compensation. Right now it is at the "we might suffer in future" stage, you're not even sure in what way...

OK I'm gona bow out of this one way to deep for my liking if I ever get my payday I'll let yis all know;-) in following thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I can't see what grounds a civil compensation suit in Ireland would make to justify monetary compensation

I suspect it's just ambulance chasing

The US situation is entirely different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

BoatMad wrote: »
    I can't see what grounds a civil compensation suit in Ireland would make to justify monetary compensation

VW didn't cover themselves in glory in castlebar it has to be said.
    Failure to produce their tech witness, not producing tech documents re proposed fix for eu.
    making clear tthreat costs will ruin the woman taking the case.
    Legal team walking out of court.

All sounds like bullying tactic of a crew who have no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

BoatMad wrote: »

They lied to Irish customers too. They should be punished for that. The claimant deserves her compensation. VW are also going to pursue her for legal costs incurred if her claim fails. Very nice of them to cut short the recent hearing so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just wondering did anyone get anything back on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone get anything back on this?

Worth keeping an eye on this maybe :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/volkswagen-exec-arrested-for-fraud_us_587392dce4b02b5f8589d9e9

gctest50 wrote: »

More interested in the Irish case to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

News from across the water as British owners launch legal action for compensation.

"Volkswagen owners in Britain affected by the Emissions Scandal are taking legal action in an attempt to get compensation. It is reported that up to 10,000 owners of Audi, SEAT, Skoda and Volkswagen cars are involved in the lawsuit."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-british-owners-launch-legal-action-for-compensation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

On the examiner 800 vw owners have contacted the legal firm taking the case.

oscar2 wrote: »
    News from across the water as British owners launch legal action for compensation.

"Volkswagen owners in Britain affected by the Emissions Scandal are taking legal action in an attempt to get compensation. It is reported that up to 10,000 owners of Audi, SEAT, Skoda and Volkswagen cars are involved in the lawsuit."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-british-owners-launch-legal-action-for-compensation/

You can't love the compensation sum pulled from a hat... Each is looking for 3000 GBP. For what I ask...

Actually, if those owners know about the polluting character of the car they should be sued - and once they are fined they could seek compensation...

• Advertisement

You can't love the compensation sum pulled from a hat... Each is looking for 3000 GBP. For what I ask...

Actually, if those owners know about the polluting character of the car they should be sued - and once they are fined they could seek compensation...

Do you own a car affected?

Also did you read the article or just post comment? It refers to compensation for US been around 4-8k UKP per driver so I would say the 3k is based on that settlement, Not really pulling a number from a hat now?

ofcork wrote: »
    On the examiner 800 vw owners have contacted the legal firm taking the case.

I have contacted them tonight as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Have they actually done the repair to any irish cars affected yet and if so does that mean if there was compensation you won't get any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

As above, it isn't a figure pulled from a hat. In Spain a court also ruled a customer should be awarded €5000 from VW, which no doubt has other customers lined up to follow.

One of the articles actually said its nothing to do with the actual car, its more related to VW selling a product to the customer that was sold under false specs.

Have they actually done the repair to any irish cars affected yet and if so does that mean if there was compensation you won't get any?

I got a crappy letter in post. Telling me they are "pleased" to confirm they can carry out the repairs. Also to be a good boy now and book my car into a dealer so they can carry it out. But don't worry it "has been ratified by the German Federal Motor Transport Authority"....as if they shower of f**ks didn't know what was going on all along.

Shower of f**kers. After getting that crap I am checking into the court case. They are treating the Irish driver like crap.

I got a crappy letter in post. Telling me they are "pleased" to confirm they can carry out the repairs. Also to be a good boy now and book my car into a dealer so they can carry it out. But don't worry it "has been ratified by the German Federal Motor Transport Authority"....as if they shower of f**ks didn't know what was going on all along.

Shower of f**kers. After getting that crap I am checking into the court case. They are treating the Irish driver like crap.

Wonder if they sneakily done a repair on cars in for service.

Wonder if they sneakily done a repair on cars in for service.

I would guess if you are getting a service done anytime now it will be done even if you dont ask for it....

No, it's offered with any visit to a dealer but certainly not implimented without the owners prior permission.

They lied about using the cheat software, so they'd look well lying about removing the cheat software wouldn't they.

It's it super-hypocritical?

VW cheated and sold cars that pollute, but once they offered to fix that - NO WAY. Some are going to willingly drive a piece of environmental bomb, but won't have it fixed. And VW still owes them money!

No, it's offered with any visit to a dealer but certainly not implimented without the owners prior permission.

They lied about using the cheat software, so they'd look well lying about removing the cheat software wouldn't they.

The letter they sent does not apologize for the cheat software. It just has the following "I would like to apologize once again for any concern this issue has caused you"

Not sure what the once again refers to because there is no other apology in letter????

There is no recognition of any wrong doing.

They would still be lying about the cheat software only they got found out, so how can you say they will not lie about removing it? Do you have some insider information?

When has VW suddenly become a beacon of truth during this whole process? from what I have seen they have tried to lie and bullsh*t from day 1 to cover this up....correct me if I am wrong here?

• Advertisement

It's it super-hypocritical?

VW cheated and sold cars that pollute, but once they offered to fix that - NO WAY. Some are going to willingly drive a piece of environmental bomb, but won't have it fixed. And VW still owes them money!

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

VW deliberately deceived customers for their own gain. Then they offer a quick fix as if it was a little joke that backfired. They were quite happy to continue the scam until they were caught in the US.
    Despicable practice from a corporation people trusted. I hope the owners in Ireland stand up to them like in the US and get proper financial compensation for breach of contract (goods sold not as described).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Slightly melodramatic I think, its not like the Ford Pinto issue in the 70's where Ford decided that customers deaths were cheaper than a recall. I'd hazard a guess that nearly all the motoring companies are lying about emissions,fuel economy or something. Welcome to the modern world where big companies are taking the piss all the time. Get over it

Why aren't nearly all the other motoring companies caught cheating then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Slightly melodramatic I think, its not like the Ford Pinto issue in the 70's where Ford decided that customers deaths were cheaper than a recall. I'd hazard a guess that nearly all the motoring companies are lying about emissions,fuel economy or something. Welcome to the modern world where big companies are taking the piss all the time. Get over it

To be fair, in the pictures thread, MM in the US mentions that his 2015 Passat will likely be returned for a full refund:
    The 2015 Passat is a diesel, likely to be traded in for full cash value under the Dieselgate saga.

It's kinda understandable then that EU/Irish drivers would feel a bit hard done by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Why aren't nearly all the other motoring companies caught cheating then?

Because they are legally allowed to. Vehicle emissions are done on a rolling road with over inflated tyres and nothing in the car. There was talk of changing the way official figures are measured but it hasn't been implemented.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Because they are legally allowed to. Vehicle emissions are done on a rolling road with over inflated tyres and nothing in the car. There was talk of changing the way official figures are measured but it hasn't been implemented.
    So they aren't cheating then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Shefwan, that's called a Bertie Ahern apology, 'I am sorry if you feel anything I said, upset you, but I never did so'.

The joke is agricultural tractors and HGVs have a much higher standard and test. But then maybe not as many of them are made in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    So they aren't cheating then?

Legalised cheating is still cheating, no one can get the fuel economy so they are lieing and cheating.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Legalised cheating is still cheating, no one can get the fuel economy so they are lieing and cheating.

What happened to vw then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

To be fair, in the pictures thread, MM in the US mentions that his 2015 Passat will likely be returned for a full refund:
    The 2015 Passat is a diesel, likely to be traded in for full cash value under the Dieselgate saga.

It's kinda understandable then that EU/Irish drivers would feel a bit hard done by.
    May as well fill you in on how things are happening for me. I realise it's no consolation for you guys in Ireland as it's not transferrable.

Within a few months of the saga breaking, I received a "goodwill kit", which consisted of a $500 pre-paid credit card, a $500 VW gift card, and three years' roadside assistance. This was given gratis, and acceptance did not waive any future rights. The VW card wasn't of much use to me, as I had pre-paid my servicing for two years and the card expired before that. (That said, my neighbour took out my wing mirror, so I used it to cover the repair cost). I happily spent the $500 Visa card, though.

Owners here are being given a choice of if they wish to take cash in pocket and fix their car to make them emissions compliant, or to return the car for the estimated value of the car at the time the scandal broke, minus an approximate depreciation over time, based on an assumption of about 1,000 miles a month. The thinking is that VW Diesels are going to suffer a significant resale value hit, hence the compensation. We have until 01 SEP 2018 to make the decision as to which way we are going to go. There are several charts to refer to in order to figure out the exact payment depending on car model, year, trim, mileage, options etc.

In my case, the vehicle is a 2015 Passat TDi SEL, basically the top-end Passat. After tax and including the two years pre-pay on servicing, it cost me about $34,000, purchased April 2015. I currently owe about $24,000, and am paying $500/mo, give or take.

The 'fix' has been announced as of last week. VW will install a second NOx sensor, and a new or replacement diesel-oxidation catalyst, plus software change. The 2015 vehicle is one which uses the conventional 'ad-blu' ammonia fluid, so I don't expect there will be any huge hit in performance or economy, but I'm awaiting to see what the test results show. If I choose to go with the 'fix', I get $7,967 in my pocket, I keep the car, and keep the $24,000 in debt, to be paid off over the next four years. Given I drive more than 1,000 miles a month, the longer I wait, the less money I get, but even if I wait until next year, I'd pick up some $7,000 or more. An owner who drives under 1,042 miles a month basically is getting a free car for those months.

Alternatively, I can choose to simply hand back the car. If I do that, the base 'price' is $32,867, minus, currently, about $450 for mileage. Again, the longer I wait and the more I drive the less that price becomes, but it'll pretty much clear $31k even next year. So, if I were to do that today, they would subtract the $24k from the $32.8k, give me $8.8k in my pocket, take back the car keys. I then take the $8.8k and put it to a new car, since I need a car.

For many folks, there is something to be said for taking the fix, and in effect getting the car paid off a year or two sooner. These are the folks who were planning on keeping the diesel until it fell apart, which, being a diesel, is going to be a very long time. It's a quarter off the price of your car, in other words. In my case, I actually would prefer a more luxurious car, I was forced into the VW by circumstance. Plus, at over 33,000 miles, I'm going to hit the warranty limit in about 3 years, so there is a good argument for taking the chance to start over.

May as well fill you in on how things are happening for me. I realise it's no consolation for you guys in Ireland as it's not transferrable.......

US customer gets all this and we get a ****ty letter in post which doesn't even include an apology

So all the posts about why people would sue is answered in post above, what is difference between Irish driver spending money and US driver?

US customer gets all this and we get a ****ty letter in post which doesn't even include an apology

So all the posts about why people would sue is answered in post above, what is difference between Irish driver spending money and US driver?

Really is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

"Look Auntie Merkel, ze pixie heads think they can sue!"

7rvw0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

thats unbelievable what they get in the us.

I got my 2011 passat fixed here and they wouldnt even call me a taxi when I dropped it in (to my own expense as its way out of the way),

I know that the uk are looking for £3,000 each in recompense and they'll probably get it.

Is there anything we can do here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd hazard a guess that nearly all the motoring companies are lying about emissions,fuel economy or something. Welcome to the modern world where big companies are taking the piss all the time. Get over it

Other manufacturers have been caught for cheating on either emissions or fuel consumption, but that doesn't make it OK. Misleading customers about the products they are selling is not OK and should not be tolerated - it's illegal under the most basic consumer laws in Ireland and a lot of the world. VW should face significant sanctions in the EU but there are too many conflicts of interest (13% of VAG are owned by the State of Lower Saxony, for starters).

Sure it's not a direct safety issue like with the Ford Pinto, but there is significant evidence that NOx emissions causes damage to lungs (which is indirectly causing more deaths) and air pollution is getting worse in populated areas - the fact VW et al have been cheating on emissions tests means the environmental impact of modern diesels has been significantly underestimated.

• Advertisement

thats unbelievable what they get in the us.

I got my 2011 passat fixed here and they wouldnt even call me a taxi when I dropped it in (to my own expense as its way out of the way),

I know that the uk are looking for £3,000 each in recompense and they'll probably get it.

Is there anything we can do here?

Contact that court case place. I sent details last night, havent heard anything

Fill in details here: http://www.odwyersolicitors.ie/volkswagen-vw-emissions-claims/

Hope mods dont mind linking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Got an email the other day from VW dealer in the midlands, where the car was recently serviced (and they didn't even change the wipers which NEEDED to be replaced!) and the email said that they can now take the car for the software upgrade. I haven't replied yet as I would like to know if anybody got this software installed and if it has affected performance! More worried about that than anything else! 141 VW 1.6 Passat. Bought the car in Dublin but this VW garage in the Midlands is the nearest to me.

Anybody?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not a lawyer, but I'd be very slow to allow any remedial work until the case in this country becomes clearer. I wouldn't compromise my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

The US has class action suits, we don't.

That's the big difference in my books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement