Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno. The natives killing them seems an unlikely one. The only footprints found were the skiers own and the apparent chronology of events seem at odds with that too. The avalanche theory seems more plausible. Though a couple of problems with that one too. One there wasn't any evidence of one. Two they were camped in an area not prone to them and if one had occurred it would have missed the camp by a large distance(experienced hikers so picked the right spot, though why they didnt stay in the shelter of the relatively close forest is puzzling in itself). Jets passing overhead while rumbling would pass over head quickly. From the time they'd hear the approach, rouse from sleep, get out of the tents chances are the jets and noise would be gone. If they thought avalanche why all run in one direction? If they thought they were at risk from same why get out of their clothes in their tents(that's odd itself given the temps) or not stay in the treeline? I suspect they heard or saw or thought they heard or saw something(suspected bear/wolves?) approaching the campsite and ran in group/herd terror away from it and the elements took their toll. Maybe earlier in the day they had spotted a bear in the distance and hyped up the fear?

A few jet fighters passing overhead, one after the other, could possibly be sustained enough sound like an avalanche (this would explain the lights seen by people from the area on the night in question). Maybe one of the crew called avalanche and all panicked.

For the clothes thing, either they had the clothes off already in the tent, this would indicate that they weren't afraid of an animal incursion, or they took their clothes off due to paradoxical undressing, which is quite common in cases of hypothermia.

There are some anomalies in the reporting, as shown in the site I linked, so it's impossible to conclusively close the case.
    The “snowfall anomaly” refers to the fact that some of the bodies found – those returning to the camp – were buried under snow. How is it that enough snow fell to bury these bodies but tracks that were found higher up the hill were preserved in such a good condition that investigators could (allegedly) tell that at least one person had been barefoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

bijapos wrote: »
    The Nazca Lines in Peru, a mystery that anyone can go and see today.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines

The Tunguska Event of 1912. Incredible that it happened in one of the most isolated places on earth, if it happened in Europe, tens of thousands if not more would have died.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Really not that strange, i saw them myself and they're very shallow. The way the sand is in the area means that the immediate top layer is red and much lighter underneath therefore the actual work boils down to just scraping the top layer off. I read about an experiment a university carried out where they recreated one of the smaller figures and then taking into account estimated contemporary population and figure size that the total time required to create the entire nazca plateau would have been a lot smaller then you'd think. Unfortunately i dont have that book to hand so i cant remember.

This however is very weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Ramirez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Really not that strange, i saw them myself and they're very shallow. The way the sand is in the area means that the immediate top layer is red and much lighter underneath therefore the actual work boils down to just scraping the top layer off. I read about an experiment a university carried out where they recreated one of the smaller figures and then taking into account estimated contemporary population and figure size that the total time required to create the entire nazca plateau would have been a lot smaller then you'd think. Unfortunately i dont have that book to hand so i cant remember.

Yes, but why were they made. Some of the lines are dead straigt when seen from the sky but on the ground they go across ridges and through valleys.

Who were they made for and why? Thats the mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

The identity of Jack The Ripper for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Conversely there is a type of person obsessed with mysteries and conspiracy theories, eschewing all rational (therefore boring) explanations in favour of more fanciful (and therefore interesting) versions. I think generally the reality of these 'mysteries' can be quite mundane.

Taking some examples from this thread:
    Dyatolov Pass incident - seems the explanations that they thought there was an avalanche (due to jets passing overhead) or else that they were attacked by natives are both very possible and believable. No reason to bring in secret weapon tests or aliens.

The seemingly obvious answer to this mystery is that it was an avalanche. Why don’t people believe that this is the case?

The answer to this question has been compiled by a combination of review, first hand testimony and personal investigation. The evidence against an avalanche is as follows:

At the time of discovery, the specific location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place. Many people have assumed that because the search and rescue party seen in old photographs had snow prods there must have been considerable movement of snow. In actual fact the snow prod is merely standard rescue equipment.

A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics has revealed that the location is not conducive to the formation of snow build up of the kind that causes an avalanche.
    * "More than 100 expeditions to the region have been held since the event took place and none of them have ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche in this location."

The first bodies were found within ten days of the event and only covered with a shallow layer of (atmospheric) snow. Had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party then these bodies would have been swept away as well.

The condition of the tent when it was discovered indicated that it had not been impacted with any form of snow flow of sufficient strength to knock over the poles. Put another way – it had collapsed laterally not horizontally. This is clearly visible in the photographs.

An avalanche would have left “Flow” patterns and other “debris” distributed over a wide area. Neither of these indicators were ever found.

Dyatlov Pass - Vertical Tent Poles

An avalanche of sufficient strength to “sweep” four people into a ravine – beyond the tree line – some 1.5 kilometres from their tent should have produced two results. Firstly it would have caused far more serious and different injuries and secondly it would have damaged the tree line at the point of impact. Neither of these conditions were ever observed.

The "dangerous" conditions sometimes referred to by proponents of the avalanche theory were observed in April and May when the snow falls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions. In addition, the so called conditions were observed in a different location with significantly steeper slopes and cornices.

An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a “miraculous” avalanche, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent.

Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotarev was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been foolish enough to allow the camp to be established anywhere in the path of a possible avalanche.

There had initially been some speculation that the indigenous Mansi people might have attacked and murdered the group for encroaching upon their lands, but investigation indicated that the nature of their deaths did not support this thesis; the hikers' footprints alone were visible, and they showed no sign of hand-to-hand struggle.

“It is important not to make generalizations about ethnic peoples. It would be like saying that all Afro-Americans are criminals or that only Arabs are terrorists. In fact the Mansi people are the most peaceful people of the Ural and Trans-Ural regions. They had absolutely no reason to attack people – even for their possessions.”

Their behavior is more in line with people who have been blinded by
    something.

The victims’ tent was “cut from the inside”

"Reconstructions of the victims’ behavior indicated that they may have been blinded. An example is that the victims broke wet tree branches to start their campfire, though there was good dry kindling nearby."

"The Dyatlov Pass Accident is truly a horrible accident, and a fascinating story. But one doesn’t need to look at influence from UFOs, Yeti, or other supernatural explanations, or even an “unknown compelling force”. A bit of critical thinking and skeptical analysis tells the story: A group of very unlucky people stumbled into some weapons testing. The Dyatlov Pass Accident was a terrible event, but hardly a mystery. Those nine people just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths.

The matter was classified by the Russian government until 1993.

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/08/the-dyatlov-pass-accident-and-the-fatal-unknown-compelling-force/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

very surprised this hasn't been mentioned http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marree_Man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They have done tests with pig bodies. A drunk person falls asleep in a chair, their cigarette drops onto their clothing. As it smoulders/burns it melts their blubber acting like a wick. Most of the heat goes up, it's a closed room so very little turbulance in the flame.

Very drunk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Crop circles intrigued me as a kid. I know some of them were fake, but what about the rest? Anyone done any reading up on them.
    There were few if any crop circles in the UK during the foot and mouth travel restrictions.

firefly08 wrote: »
    check out The Ra Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl...he had a boat built entirely from papyrus reeds (the kind that they used to make paper from in ancient Egypt) and sailed it from Morocco to Central America. It turns out that if you can survive long enough, you're going to end up in America whether you like it or not - and surviving long enough is not as hard as you might think!
    Check out the Kon Tiki (sp) raft. Balsa from south america to polynesia.

only thing is genetics showed that the polynesians came from asia

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it happened.

• Advertisement

Eever wrote: »
    Here's a mystery of my own for yous:

One day my sister walked out her front door to find a bag had been placed there. ... only to turn up three weeks later, carefully placed on my sisters doorstep in Dublin 18.

Explain that one!!
    Stalker ?

CorkMan wrote: »
    How did George W Bush become president?
    The first time is easily explained by suspect practices.

But the second time he won fair and square :eek::eek::eek:

Biggest mysteries are in the physical constants and forces and their ratios to each other.

In 500 million years time we won't have enough CO2 to support plants on this planet. On a cosmic scale this puts a limit to the time intelligent life has to develop and get off this rock.

Compare that to the events leading up to it

heavy elements are formed in supernovas, no supernovas no heavy elements, no heavy elements and we have problems. you wouldn't last long with iron in your haemoglobin etc. ;)

we live on a Goldilocks planet in a Goldilocks universe.

IIRC there is one number that has to be accurate to the tenth decimal place for us to evolve in this universe. Most other constants have to be within a few % of a critical value or things like neutrons / atoms / stars either don't form. Subatomic particles / galactic superclusters either condense or flie apart

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Stalker ?

Eever seems intrigued, but not that excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Anyone see the POSTMAN ?
    Stradbally

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Anyone see the POSTMAN ?
    Stradbally

I nominate this cryptic missive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Turpentine wrote: »
    I nominate this cryptic missive.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/foul-play-at-work-in-case-of-missing-postman-695638.html

Famous unsolved case in Waterford. There was a book written about it that came out last year, I believe.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/foul-play-at-work-in-case-of-missing-postman-695638.html

Famous unsolved case in Waterford. There was a book written about it that came out last year, I believe.

Ah, I thought it was a misplaced post from consumer affairs or something, I stand corrected.

Biggest mysteries are in the physical constants and forces and their ratios to each other.

In 500 million years time we won't have enough CO2 to support plants on this planet. On a cosmic scale this puts a limit to the time intelligent life has to develop and get off this rock.

Compare that to the events leading up to it

heavy elements are formed in supernovas, no supernovas no heavy elements, no heavy elements and we have problems. you wouldn't last long with iron in your haemoglobin etc. ;)

we live on a Goldilocks planet in a Goldilocks universe.

IIRC there is one number that has to be accurate to the tenth decimal place for us to evolve in this universe. Most other constants have to be within a few % of a critical value or things like neutrons / atoms / stars either don't form. Subatomic particles / galactic superclusters either condense or flie apart

People will just throw that infinite number of universes and were just one of them crap at you.

Amazing the number of people who take this as a scientific fact because they saw it on horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭pavb2

Also a dramatised documentary on RTE which backs up the above that the village effectively closed ranks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ItsAtrick

Why do they call it an "unsolved" mystery? I mean it would'nt exactly be a mystery if it was fukin solved now would it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

The mystery of the box of roses without any f**king caramel barrels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

One that still perplexes me is the 5 Israelis who were caught filming the September 11 attack from their white van in a parking lot in New Jersey and celebrating as the towers collapsed. When interviewed on Israeli TV one claimed that "Our purpose was to document the event." How did they know there was going to be an event to document and why were they celebrating when it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

One that still perplexes me is the 5 Israelis who were caught filming the September 11 attack from their white van in a parking lot in New Jersey and celebrating as the towers collapsed. When interviewed on Israeli TV one claimed that "Our purpose was to document the event." How did they know there was going to be an event to document and why were they celebrating when it happened?

Probably some anti-Jewish crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Probably some anti-Jewish crap.

Nope this appears to be a well documented fact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jfu0nVjjs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3wo18oDZU&feature=related

In the first video you can hear the cop describing one of the vans (which actually exploded) as having a mural of a plane diving into new york painted on it. Unfortunately there's not much info on the origin off that recording.

But the second one appears to be a genuine Channel 4 documentary. Interesting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Second video they said they heard on the news about one plane crashing into the tower then started videoing. One also has to wonder 2 things if one is to take the Jewspiracy at face value:
    1) Why film it? What benefit is there from doing so?
    2) Why have so many people involved in filming it and out in the open? The Israelis (and most countries) are somewhat better than that at covert ops.

double post

firefly08 wrote: »
    Nope this appears to be a well documented fact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jfu0nVjjs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3wo18oDZU&feature=related

In the first video you can hear the cop describing one of the vans (which actually exploded) as having a mural of a plane diving into new york painted on it. Unfortunately there's not much info on the origin off that recording.

But the second one appears to be a genuine Channel 4 documentary. Interesting .

On March 15, 2002, The Forward claimed that the FBI had concluded that the van's driver, Paul Kurzberg, and his brother Sivan, were indeed Mossad operatives, who were in America "spying on local Arabs".[60] ABC news cited this report on June 21, 2002, adding that the FBI had concluded that the five Israelis had no foreknowledge of the attacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_ad..._debate#Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

ABC news cited this report on June 21, 2002, adding that the FBI had concluded that the five Israelis had no foreknowledge of the attacks.

How does that fit with one of them saying on Israeli TV that "Our purpose was to document the event"?

Advertisement