Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Can i just ask at this point... Is anyone else amazed by how often Australia is coming up in this thread? its not at all a country i would have associated with a lot of this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Can i just ask at this point... Is anyone else amazed by how often Australia is coming up in this thread? its not at all a country i would have associated with a lot of this stuff!

In terms of missing persons it is. The sheer scale of it makes it "ideal" conditions for people to go missing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In terms of missing persons it is. The sheer scale of it makes it "ideal" conditions for people to go missing in.

Thats a fair point alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

sure it was populated by convicts...im just surprised there isnt more crime over there! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Another one from Australia - "The body on Somerton Beach" - really bizarre story, like something out of a far fetched spy movie
    http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/history/2011/08/the-body-on-somerton-beach/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I knew a guy that was suspected of having involvement in Deidre Jacob's disappearance, the Guards drove him mad interrogating him for a long period of time, he had a great job and a lovely house, but he went a bit odd and had to give it all up to move back with his mother, he died 3 years ago aged 55.

It was a case of nailing somebody innocent or not.

I think the Guards have gotten away very lightely on these missing women.
    user_offline.gifreport.gif There was never a prime suspect in the Deirdre Jacob case i think you may be getting mixed up with the Phillis Murphy murder. There were several men repeatedly interrogated in the Phillis Murphy case and it is said that three of them took their own lives because of it.
    quote.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

dr gonzo wrote: »

It's English speaking, lot of links with UK/Ireland, loads of Irish go there, it's big and full of dangers..what's the mystery?

Now if Swaziland came up repeatedly I'd say you had a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

The body on somerton beach was very interesting I wonder if it happened today would the police be able to get find out more about the body. With all the advances in forensic science .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Some ancient history mysteries. How did they build the pryramids, how did the ancient babylonians get that blue glaze on the Ishtar Gate without computer controlled kilm thermostats (the temperature has to be kept with in narrow limits or you don't get the glaze).

But my favorite is corn on the cob, they have no idea how the meso Americans got it, It is derived from a certain type maize crop but very far removed from it. It was the first type of engineered plant that needed man to produce it. The seeds have to be manually removed from the husk if we were to disappear tomorrow so would corn on the cob.

Its as if they used genetical engineering, but of course they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

4leto wrote: »
    Some ancient history mysteries. How did they build the pryramids, how did the ancient babylonians get that blue glaze on the Ishtar Gate without computer controlled kilm thermostats (the temperature has to be kept with in narrow limits or you don't get the glaze).

But my favorite is corn on the cob, they have no idea how the meso Americans got it, It is derived from a certain type maize crop but very far removed from it. It was the first type of engineered plant that needed man to produce it. The seeds have to be manually removed from the husk if we were to disappear tomorrow so would corn on the cob.

Its as if they used genetical engineering, but of course they didn't.

Crossbreeding is an example of genetic engineering as is developing certain strains, genetic engineering is nothing new its just we refined the techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

4leto wrote: »
    How did they build the pryramids

Herodotus states that they were made using lots of ramps and slaves to carry the massive blocks up. This seems to be generally accepted but I like the theory below however, much smarter

Limestone_concrete_hypothesis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Interesting limestone concrete.

The thing about ramps, the ramps to be set at the right angle to haul the blocks up would have to be long and use more material then the pyramids.

I seen another theory when someone proposed they used internal ramps, I think this is right but............

http://youtu.be/c3BrhptKO1M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The body on somerton beach was very interesting I wonder if it happened today would the police be able to get find out more about the body. With all the advances in forensic science .

And also, the photo would be all over the Internet and would be seen nationally everywhere. I think that would have made a huge difference, really.

Very sad though that a grown man could die and no-one claim him as a family member of friend.

Possibly he was foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd love to know what happened in the meetings to discuss the corrib gas project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

This one gives me the creeps
    In February, 1948, distress calls were picked up by numerous ships near Indonesia, from the Dutch freighter SS Ourang Medan. The chilling message was, “All officers including captain are dead lying in chartroom and bridge. Possibly whole crew dead.” This message was followed by indecipherable Morse code then one final grisly message… “I die.” When the first rescue vessel arrived on the scene a few hours later, they tried to hail the Ourang Medan but there was no response. A boarding party was sent to the ship and what they found was a frightening sight that has made the Ourang Medan one of the strangest and scariest ghost ship stories of all time.

All the crew and officers of the Ourang Medan were dead, their eyes open, faces looking towards the sun, arms outstretched and a look of terror on their faces. Even the ship’s dog was dead, found snarling at some unseen enemy. When nearing the bodies in the boiler room, the rescue crew felt a chill, though the temperature was near 110°F. The decision was made to tow the ship back to port, but before they could get underway, smoke began rolling up from the hull. The rescue crew left the ship and barely had time to cut the tow lines before the Ourang Medan exploded and sank.

To this day, the exact fate of the Ourang Medan and her crew remains a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

In February, 1948, distress calls were picked up by numerous ships near Indonesia, from the Dutch freighter SS Ourang Medan. The chilling message was, “All officers including captain are dead lying in chartroom and bridge. Possibly whole crew dead.” This message was followed by indecipherable Morse code then one final grisly message… “I die.” When the first rescue vessel arrived on the scene a few hours later, they tried to hail the Ourang Medan but there was no response. A boarding party was sent to the ship and what they found was a frightening sight that has made the Ourang Medan one of the strangest and scariest ghost ship stories of all time.

All the crew and officers of the Ourang Medan were dead, their eyes open, faces looking towards the sun, arms outstretched and a look of terror on their faces. Even the ship’s dog was dead, found snarling at some unseen enemy. When nearing the bodies in the boiler room, the rescue crew felt a chill, though the temperature was near 110°F. The decision was made to tow the ship back to port, but before they could get underway, smoke began rolling up from the hull. The rescue crew left the ship and barely had time to cut the tow lines before the Ourang Medan exploded and sank.

Seems to be a lot of skepticism that this even took place?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

The Golden Circle.

Where did all the money go! How did Sean Fitzpatrick make it all disappear !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Who was Fr Pat Noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How can a dead dog snarl ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

This might have been posted already (haven't gone though the whole thread), but meh.

The Hum. It's a low frequency rumbling noise that's been heard in various places around the globe.

Apparently, only certain people hear it and it's often described as sounding like a diesel engine running in the distance. There's some speculation that it might be a form of tinnitus, although it's only heard in certain locations.

It's supposedly quite difficult to record but there are a couple of recordings floating round the net (it's worth a Google, very ominous sounding. You won't hear it through laptop speakers though, it's deep).

Here's an article from the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Partially Formed Transformah

I haven't read through the whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned but as unsolved mysteries go this is the one that fascinates me the most: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

It's seriously messed up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I haven't read through the whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned but as unsolved mysteries go this is the one that fascinates me the most: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

It's seriously messed up :eek:

Christ. Very creepy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Did the moon landing ever happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

How did that Lynch lad avoid a ban??? Who is he related to??? Questions, questions. Some say he is the love child of Keith and Teyla, but I reckon it goes even deeper.......

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

And also, the photo would be all over the Internet and would be seen nationally everywhere. I think that would have made a huge difference, really.

Very sad though that a grown man could die and no-one claim him as a family member of friend.

Possibly he was foreign.

Still happens in this day and age unfortunately, I remember hearing about this guy while I was working in UCHG... http://www.galwaynews.ie/20403-unidentified-body-buried-galway-island

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

karaokeman wrote: »
    Yes.

The Russians would have denounced them.

The French still measure the distance to the moon by bouncing lasers off mirrors they left up there.

NASA spent the 2007 equilivent of 136 Billion dollars on the Apollo program.
    If it was in dollar bills laid end to end you would go around the equator 500 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

karaokeman wrote: »

It definitely did. A great piece of Cold War propaganda for the Americans, so it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

It should be remembered that regarding all the missing women in the so-called ' Leinster Triangle ' that in 3 of those cases prime suspects have been identified and I'd go so far as to say that if the dogs in the areas those women disappeared from could talk they would tell you who the killers were - just no evidence against them :mad:

I tend not to subscribe to conspiracy theories but I have to say the JFK assassination bothers me - that second shot just had to have come from the front.........

Anyone remember the film Picnic at Hanging Rock about the disappearance of a group of schoolgirls in Australia about a hundred years ago ? Whole thing was completely made up and never happened - this despite the films claim to be based on fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but the whole mystery surrounding the West Memphis Three and their supposed innocence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three

Watched a bit of the documentary based on their trial and conviction, Paradise Falls which was fascinating. The step father of one of the boys was a suspect I believe and he is the definition of a hick, something just seemed 'off' with him.

Advertisement