Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suing VW over emissions scandal... Mod warning post 313

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I made this point already but what is the difference between me buying a car off VW/Audi in Ireland and someone in the US buying the same car?

The US owner has already got a 100 doller reward card to start with and then given option to hand back car etc etc

I get a letter from Audi without an apology telling me to bring the car to them so they can fix it.....

The rrgulator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Shefwedfan wrote:
    I made this point already but what is the difference between me buying a car off VW/Audi in Ireland and someone in the US buying the same car?

VW is a German company. There is no doubt a deal was done behind closed doors to prop them up.

It is really unbelievable that a company could cheat emissions tests that have an effect on public health and not receive huge fines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just reading on Spiegel.de that German dpp will go after former VW CEO Martin Winterkorn over involvement into deceit/ fraud ("Betrug").

Apparently enough material has been gathered on him knowing and facilation if not worse to open a case against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/979983308049276928?s=19

Interesting read I didn't realise this really happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Shefwedfan wrote:

Difference is one was bought in the US which the US legal system covers, the other was bought here which our legal system covers, that's really it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

bladespin wrote: »
    Difference is one was bought in the US which the US legal system covers, the other was bought here which our legal system covers, that's really it.

More accurately, the difference is that VW is a European company and was never going to be penalised by Europe in the same way an American company would have been. All the rest is smoke and mirrors

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

dubrov wrote: »
    More accurately, the difference is that VW is a European company and was never going to be penalised by Europe in the same way an American company would have been. All the rest is smoke and mirrors

It was the smoke that was the problem.

My Golf was 'upgraded' and destroyed so I sold it and do not regret it. Those cars are toxic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

they are evil . fc*king scum plain and simple , never again a vag car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

DaDumTish wrote: »

You'll just have to buy it from some other evil fc*king sum manufacturer. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

dubrov wrote: »

TBH Europe/EU works differently to the US system regarding penalties etc, in the US the the penalties go to the cunsumer/damaged party, here the penalties (if any) go to the EU.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nextcarC5

OSI wrote: »
    You can always buy a Ford. No no, wait, they've been caught numerous times hiding defects in their cars that have directly killed hundreds of people.

Maybe a Toyota? Nope, wait again. They tried to cover up the whole "unintentional acceleration" job. That killed a few.

A Mazda? Merc? Honda? BMW? Nope, they've all been shown to emit more emissions than they advertised to.

Hmmm....

Let's start cycling bikes!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OSI wrote: »
    You can always buy a Ford. No no, wait, they've been caught numerous times hiding defects in their cars that have directly killed hundreds of people.

Maybe a Toyota? Nope, wait again. They tried to cover up the whole "unintentional acceleration" job. That killed a few.

A Mazda? Merc? Honda? BMW? Nope, they've all been shown to emit more emissions than they advertised to.

Hmmm....

I am very sceptical of this.
    "Suddenly the brake and accelerator switched function and the harder I stamped on the brakes, the faster the car got!"
    For some strange reason it only seems to happen to American drivers in their 90's that the brake pedal spontaniously reconfigures itself and connects itself to the gas pedal. A very, very odd occurance alright.
    And even more astonishing, scientist have never been able to replicate this bizarre behaviour in the lab. Quick, call Mulder and Scully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

nextcarC5 wrote: »
    Let's start cycling bikes!!! :D

**** you. Get out.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I am very sceptical of this.
    "Suddenly the brake and accelerator switched function and the harder I stamped on the brakes, the faster the car got!"
    For some strange reason it only seems to happen to American drivers in their 90's that the brake pedal spontaniously reconfigures itself and connects itself to the gas pedal. A very, very odd occurance alright.
    And even more astonishing, scientist have never been able to replicate this bizarre behaviour in the lab. Quick, call Mulder and Scully!

Call Barr instead :
    Toyota’s watchdog supervisor “is incapable of ever detecting the death of a major task. That's its whole job. It doesn't do it. It's not designed to do it.”

Instead, Toyota designed it to monitor CPU overload, and, Barr testified: “it doesn't even do that right. CPU overload is when there's too much work in a burst, a period of time to do all the tasks. If that happens for too long, the car can become dangerous because tasks not getting to use the CPU is like temporarily tasks dying.”

Barr also testified that Toyota’s software threw away error codes from the operating system, ignoring codes identifying a problem with a task

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Toyota also lied to NASA about yokes having bit-flip protection

For one, Barr testified, the NASA engineers were time limited, and did not have access to all of the source code.
    They relied on Toyota’s representations – and in some cases, Toyota misled NASA.
    For example, NASA was under the false belief that Toyota had designed in hardware bit flip protections called Error Detection and Correction Codes, (EDAC).
    The 2005 Camry for example did not have EDAC, Barr testified, but in an email Toyota told NASA that it did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

DaDumTish wrote:

The netflix dirty money episode on VW really opened my eyes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Civil class action is being heard in the UK. This saga isn't over by a long chalk yet......

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-dieselgate-damages-civil-case-begin-today

p.s. How VW could claim to have done nothing wrong despite being fined massively in the USA is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

evil scum as i said , gassing monkeys for f*cks sake , the apple etc...

as for the smart comments , i dont see any other makers actually gassing sentient beings to test their cars ?
    or maybe you are all ok with that ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The netflix dirty money episode on VW really opened my eyes.
    It did that J, but one part of that and this shabby enterprise that is often overlooked and was pointed out in that documentary is that researchers found other the German manufacturers were up to the same cheats with their "clean" diesels. BMW, Mercedes also emitted up to 400% extra crap in the real world when compared to the lab and government tests.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Civil class action is being heard in the UK. This saga isn't over by a long chalk yet......

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-dieselgate-damages-civil-case-begin-today

p.s. How VW could claim to have done nothing wrong despite being fined massively in the USA is beyond me.

Different rules in Europe is the arguement for why in Europe they did nothing wrong.

Legally wrong I hasten to add.

Morally and ethically wrong is another matter entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Old diesel wrote: »
    Different rules in Europe is the arguement for why in Europe they did nothing wrong.......

"May 26 (UPI) -- Germany's highest civil court has ruled that Volkswagen must buy back vehicles that were fitted with illegal emissions software in a landmark decision in the "Dieselgate" scandal........."

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/05/26/Volkswagen-loses-landmark-civil-case-in-emissions-scandal/3731590494211/?mpst=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

0lddog wrote: »
    "May 26 (UPI) -- Germany's highest civil court has ruled that Volkswagen must buy back vehicles that were fitted with illegal emissions software in a landmark decision in the "Dieselgate" scandal........."

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/05/26/Volkswagen-loses-landmark-civil-case-in-emissions-scandal/3731590494211/?mpst=2

So does this now open the floodgates for cases to be raised against VW in the rest of Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Only a matter of time until VW buy my Golf off me so :) cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Any update from anyone affected?

Advertisement