Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Planning in Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What is the reason for refusal? Just do a large weekly shop somewhere else. Supervalu is rip off. Buy only the essentials like milk there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What is the reason for refusal? Just do a large weekly shop somewhere else. Supervalu is rip off. Buy only the essentials like milk there ...

I try to do this majority of the time but it would be so handy to have choice at your doorstep. Every time you go to elsewhere the village stores lose out I.e. you might pick up something in a pharmacy etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not surprised. Supervalue have huge power in Dunshaughlin, they are the reason Dunshaughlin is a ghost town, why there is no investment, no development. Supervalue have held off Aldi, Lidl and Tesco from coming near here and have tried to put other local business's out of business. Lidl have bought a site near the bus stop, they may as well sell it because they ain't going to get planning with Supervalu and their friends stopping everything. Dunshaughlin is a lost cause at this stage, thankfully most people who have sense and who care about the cost of things shop elsewhere in Clonee and Ashbourne and looks like that's the way it's gonna stay. Writing to TD's won't solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Super Valu do this all-over the country. Town near me was due a Tesco store, plans advanced, planning permission given etc- Super Valu appealed to ABP and got it overturned. I'd imagine they do this everywhere, especially in the smaller towns as they'd have a stronger case to object.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

road_high wrote: »
    Super Valu do this all-over the country. Town near me was due a Tesco store, plans advanced, planning permission given etc- Super Valu appealed to ABP and got it overturned. I'd imagine they do this everywhere, especially in the smaller towns as they'd have a stronger case to object.

It's ridiculous tho they put in bs objections such as road access, disturbing nature/cutting down oak trees. Every time they give some sort of objection and win every-time. It's really bad for the local community and cut's off development of a town which is 50% shut down. Everybody knows they are doing this just to protect local interests, stopping competition should be illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Where is the site as a matter of interest? Not hugely familiar with Dunshaughlin or at least the shop names.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Where is the site as a matter of interest? Not hugely familiar with Dunshaughlin or at least the shop names.

The site was beside Maddens, a large field with some oak tree's and sheep. Junction of Lagore Road and main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah yeah. I know it. Entrance from the Lagore side? Or the entrance at the bus stop?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Ah yeah. I know it. Entrance from the Lagore side? Or the entrance at the bus stop?

entrance from lagore side. Wide enough road, decent access. Was a decent location and would have provided at least 40 extra jobs for the town and brought people back from grocery shopping in all the other towns. Supervalu may have even gained new customers by having more business in the town, but I guess they can't see past the money in the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Galego wrote: »
    Decision has come and apparently has been refused! :-(
    I should have bought my house somewhere else.....

I feel your pain...I was just thinking what a buzz there would have been if the news was that the application had been accepted.
    Had a look at the "Dunsalert" page on Facebook, about 80 comments today about this decision, 95% saying how disgusted they are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Well that's sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

This decision is so at odds with the sentiment amongst the citizens of the village something has to be done.

Just read the reasons ABP have given for the resusal...total, total nonsense, beyond laughable.
    Something is very wrong that one or two greedy people can decimate the will of the majority...

I really hope that the anger shown online can be channeled into some kind concrete, visible protest. We shouldn't let SV (sorry, sv) get away with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

Is reported in the chronicle too:
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/12/01/4131111-no-aldi-store-for-dunshaughlin/
    So can Aldi now appeal the appeal, or is it dead in the water now?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

It appears that the Board of an ABP has overuled their own inspectors report!
    WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

intro wrote: »
    It appears that the Board of an ABP has overuled their own inspectors report!
    WTF!

Brown envelopes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Bussywussy wrote:
    Brown envelopes

Hard not to suspect something when this sort of messing goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭maik3n

So I was just about to say..... at least we will have the new applegreen station but I'm sorry to read online that it was also refused permission by ABP back in September. :(:(:(

maik3n wrote: »
    So I was just about to say..... at least we will have the new applegreen station but I'm sorry to read online that it was also refused permission by ABP back in September. :(:(:(

basically everything that's a recognised name that has ever tried to get into Dunshaughlin since the early 2000's has been refused. Somehow Apache did manage to make it's way here but that's the only one. Surely Meath Co Co can recognize that there is something seriously wrong in Dunshaughlin with every reason under the sun used for objections.

CUCINA wrote: »
    Outraged and disgusted with this decision...if it is true that the application has failed.
    No more polite words, I HATE Supervalue and I am vowing never to spend another cent in that place.

Bad, bad news for Dunshaughlin in general...

What to do now...I feel like picketing outside SV, or doing something just short of illegal as a protest. Any suggestions?

everyone could get one of those large ALDI bags and walk into Supermarket as a huge group and walk around the supermarket and then walk out all with Aldi bags and buy nothing!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

There must be something people can do about a broken planning system, surely?

The same system that funnels thousands onto hopefully under engineered roads, allowed/s estates to be built with little or no infrastructure to support, there's something badly wrong.

I sent a letter of support etc to Aldi to which they have kindly responded, stating that "Dunshaughlin is still firmly on our target list".
    So hopefully all is not lost.

If you want to do likewise, the email address is: property.naa@aldi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I sent a letter of support etc to Aldi to which they have kindly responded, stating that "Dunshaughlin is still firmly on our target list".

I am going to write to them now.
    By the way, I cannot remember the name of the newspaper but there was an article about Aldi pushing to open stores in several locations in Ireland and Dunshaughlin was listed as one of them.
    Can they now take the case to High Court?

gonna write them an email as well.

Dunshaughlin store was to be included in this article but......well we all know what happened!!
    http://www.thejournal.ie/aldi-400-new-jobs-3122312-Dec2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Reason given by An Bord Pleanala.

Having regard to the location of the proposed building on site at the furthest
    remove from the existing public realm and commercial centre and Main
    Street of the town and to the proposed large area of surface car parking
    between the proposed building and the existing public realm and town
    centre, it is considered that the proposed development would fail to
    consolidate and successfully achieve synergy with the existing retail core
    and town centre. Accordingly, it is considered that the proposed
    development would seriously injure the visual amenities of the area and be
    contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
    In deciding not to accept the Inspector’s recommendation to grant
    permission, the Board had concerns as stated in the reason for refusal in
    relation to the acceptability of the layout of the proposed development and
    its acceptability in terms of integration with the existing public realm and the
    separation of the proposed building from the existing commercial core of the
    town b y a large area of surface car parking

Surely, if there are no suitable buildings on a main street for a retail operation, then the only way a town or village can develop or progress is to expand the retail environment beyond the main street? By turning away retailers who cant source suitable buildings on the main street, the planning board is surely contributing to the decline of the town? No town ever progressed or expanded by restricting it's retail development to just one street.

Anyone aware of any other town in the dublin surrounding area which has been refused planning based on similar grounds than this Aldi?

It is just so odd decision which seems to only benefit a person in the village.....

It is almost unreal.

Galego wrote: »
    Anyone aware of any other town in the dublin surrounding area which has been refused planning based on similar grounds than this Aldi?

It is just so odd decision which seems to only benefit a person in the village.....

It is almost unreal.

it is unreal... half of Dunshaughlin is closed down. Over the last few year's we lost our off license, our centra, our fruit and veg shop and our deli shop. Several butchers also closed down. Most of these premises are now boarded up. There is also a town centre which has been empty since it was built with the exception of Apache and a hair dressers.

Since the early 2000's we've had several supermarkets try to enter the town as well as some other stores and they get rejected each and every time.

How are these units meant to be filled in Dunshaughlin if every business keeps getting rejected. Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Anyone who lives in the village knows the traffic disaster which is the road leading down to Super Value. People park on the side of the road from Chantelles right down to Tara News. Super Value is creating a whole imbalance in the commercial & traffic flow through the village. Aldi would have corrected this. Whoever made the final decision on this issue clearly doesn't live in Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see now how SuperValu application gets on in Dunboyne.....

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/ra160805/0

Advertisement