Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

coillcam wrote: »
    You're spot on here, I never checked his actual profile on Golf Ireland until you mentioned this. He was 6.7 WHS before the round and now is 6.0 afterwards. So there wasn't as much of a cut at all. I'll eventually get my head around this.
    Yeah, we have to get the idea of 'cuts' out of our heads now. :)

You can have a stonking great round™ and your index doesn't change at all because another stonking great round™ drops off the other end of your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Question around getting my handicap.

I recently joined a club. I've been told by the club that in order to get a handicap I need three cards signed by a member of the club only. Does this sound right? A friend of mine also recently joined and said he didn't need a club member to sign, just a GUI member.

Any information here would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, we have to get the idea of 'cuts' out of our heads now. :)

You can have a stonking great round™ and your index doesn't change at all because another stonking great round™ drops off the other end of your record.

Exactly this happened to me. Had my best ever gross round, which was 41 points. Only dropped 0.2 because my second best ever gross round dropped out!

I recently joined a club. I've been told by the club that in order to get a handicap I need three cards signed by a member of the club only. Does this sound right? A friend of mine also recently joined and said he didn't need a club member to sign, just a GUI member.

It's usually down to the club as to who is an acceptable marker. Generally, it was advised (and I can't remember where I saw this) that the marker is 'familiar with the rules of golf' or words to that effect. Our club requires that it be someone with a handicap and some experience. We would accept members of other clubs, but the preference would be one of our own members because you would be able (as a handicap committee) to talk to them about the new member's game and make any adjustments based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

In the same boat myself and that's the process I was told but that they'll take any combination of cards that adds up to 54 holes. I'm out for 9 holes this evening which will be my 54 holes so will be notifying the handicap sec tonight that I've left my cards in the office. I hadn't known about them accepting 9 hole rounds until a couple of weeks ago which was annoying as I'd have got my cards in much quicker if I'd known that so I'd check with handicap secretary if you can do that.

My only advice would be to ignore what members tell you about handicap calculations and just go by what the handicap sec says as I heard a million different things about getting my initial handicap. Also the office staff aren't a great resource on it either so just try get to speak to the secretary and you'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

No, the PCC doesn't seem to take NRs into account. It's based on "all eligible scores". Same here for PCCs. Haven't seen one this year.

There's a decent enough explanation of how it works on the R&A website.

Some good info there, with only 15 playing to their handicap or better in the last comp out of 45 you would think there would be some sort of PCC adjustment. wont worry to much about it.

I'm on a downward trend with my HI, the last 3 of my rounds all counting in my best 8. Great having so much visibility on the handicap compared to the previous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Cheers folks for the replies to my question.

Myself and my friend used the Golf Ireland app to enter our scores at the weekend might that count towards the card or does it have to go through the club?

Cheers folks for the replies to my question.

Myself and my friend used the Golf Ireland app to enter our scores at the weekend might that count towards the card or does it have to go through the club?

Depends on the club, I submitted 2 rounds on golf Ireland app but was told by the secretary that he wouldn't include them, needs to be a physical card signed by a member and marked as 'for handicap purposes' in the comp box. Not sure how strict they are elsewhere but that's what I was told. My 2 rounds show on my Golf Ireland app allright but I assume they will be non counting once I'm officially setup with a handicap by my home club.

If your friend already has a handicap then his should go through allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

This is I think causing havoc at our club..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Depends on the club, I submitted 2 rounds on golf Ireland app but was told by the secretary that he wouldn't include them, needs to be a physical card signed by a member and marked as 'for handicap purposes' in the comp box. Not sure how strict they are elsewhere but that's what I was told. My 2 rounds show on my Golf Ireland app allright but I assume they will be non counting once I'm officially setup with a handicap by my home club.

This is what my club are also doing, in addition to entering a score on Golf Ireland, Validated by a "Friend".

• Advertisement

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Some good info there, with only 15 playing to their handicap or better in the last comp out of 45 you would think there would be some sort of PCC adjustment. wont worry to much about it.

I'm on a downward trend with my HI, the last 3 of my rounds all counting in my best 8. Great having so much visibility on the handicap compared to the previous system.

It is. Also, it is possible to calculate what I need to score next round in order to maintain where I am (assuming that PCC is 0).

This is I think causing havoc at our club..

Vaguest comment in thread.

It is. Also, it is possible to calculate what I need to score next round in order to maintain where I am (assuming that PCC is 0).

yea its possible, you just need to know the course rating and slope of the course you plan to play and you can calculate it. you can put together an easy calculator in excel.

yea its possible, you just need to know the course rating and slope of the course you plan to play and you can calculate it. you can put together an easy calculator in excel.

I made one in google docs here (not my scores, just example scores):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-64dPotwKyAtP2wTAqGrgPU88TuPQbQVqTb1iya2TTI/edit?usp=sharing

Clubs have procedures for initial handicap allocation. If that includes the GI app, well and good. But if not, you should adhere to what they ask, it's no more difficult to hand in a couple of cards and let the handicap committee look them over first. It wouldn't be putting your best foot forward in a new club to be bypassing their procedures.

Funny enough, I was playing an open a couple of weeks back and the label didn't state which tees we were playing - one of the group was told, but couldn't remember. :(

So I just worked backwards from the course handicap and all good. :D

Clubs have procedures for initial handicap allocation. If that includes the GI app, well and good. But if not, you should adhere to what they ask, it's no more difficult to hand in a couple of cards and let the handicap committee look them over first. It wouldn't be putting your best foot forward in a new club to be bypassing their procedures.

Oh yeah I agree and its not clear in my original post but I should have said they wouldn't accept them without the physical signed card with it. Didn't have a card the first time and was more or less my first time out so wasn't bothered. Had the card for the 2nd round and its gone in as one of my cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Is adjustments possible in the new system, like previously if you had 2 rounds of 4 better than css or whatever it used to be.
    Assuming adjustments are possible in some cases, what does that look like on the golf Ireland app, if your index is the average of best 8 how is an adjustment displayed?

Snotty wrote: »
    Is adjustments possible in the new system, like previously if you had 2 rounds of 4 better than css or whatever it used to be.
    Assuming adjustments are possible in some cases, what does that look like on the golf Ireland app, if your index is the average of best 8 how is an adjustment displayed?
    Yes there are ESRs under WHS. You won't see it on the app because it only shows some of the available data, but you will see it on the corresponding webpage. It's a direct deduction to your score differentials (which are averaged to make up your index), so that's how it works. Can be 1 or two off your score differentials - can't remember how long it stays on your record, but it's supposed to be automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

May not be the correct place for this question but hopefully someone can help me.

Just got my first handicap and membership card, tried setting up an account on Golf Ireland but it says my details are incorrect but I'm using the membership number and PIN on the back of my card for first login. How do I get set up? Friend was trying to do same at the weekend and it wouldn't work either.

• Advertisement

May not be the correct place for this question but hopefully someone can help me.

Just got my first handicap and membership card, tried setting up an account on Golf Ireland but it says my details are incorrect but I'm using the membership number and PIN on the back of my card for first login. How do I 7get set up? Friend was trying to do same at the weekend and it wouldn't work either.
    Have you tried again since? Could be server issues. Also check your PIN with your handicap secretary. It's possible that they made two card requests by mistake and you're using the first one issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Have you tried again since? Could be server issues. Also check your PIN with your handicap secretary. It's possible that they made two card requests by mistake and you're using the first one issued.

Thanks, yeah I tried Sunday when I got it and today, no option for an email or phone number for problems on the website so might get onto lady in golf course when I'm out again.

Thanks, yeah I tried Sunday when I got it and today, no option for an email or phone number for problems on the website so might get onto lady in golf course when I'm out again.
    No, there's no option for email or phone because your club can check your PIN very easily and also order a new card if there is a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I played an open yesterday and the score easily fits into my top 8. Thing is, we couldn't enter ours scores into their computer system, they said they would do it, but they haven't yet.

I'm playing another competition today, what do I do?

fungie wrote: »
    I played an open yesterday and the score easily fits into my top 8. Thing is, we couldn't enter ours scores into their computer system, they said they would do it, but they haven't yet.

I'm playing another competition today, what do I do?

Calculate the differential yourself and adjust your handicap to what you think it should be. You have to cut yourself in your situation.

Our boys seem a little slow in getting the results in.

I play comps Saturday and Sunday. When I started Sunday morning, my Saturday result was not in so I am on the same handicap as previous day. In my case I knew there would be no change. By the time I finished on SUnday, the results were in and HI updated. This means that those starting later have an up to date handicap and those earlier have an old handicap. This has happened for the last 3 weeks now. I am sure at some point this will have an impact on a result.

Calculate the differential yourself and adjust your handicap to what you think it should be. You have to cut yourself in your situation.

wouldn't you need to know the PCC and do quite a bit of calculation to do this? I think you go with whatever the computer says your HI is. That is the official HI at that point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I've no problem calculating the differential myself but as mentioned the pcc is a complete unknown. I assume the clubs are obliged to update scores by midnight, otherwise how can the system work?

In my home club, your index is updated instantaneously (any pcc is applied after midnight then). No idea why can't all clubs do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Just got my first handicap and membership card, tried setting up an account on Golf Ireland but it says my details are incorrect but I'm using the membership number and PIN on the back of my card for first login. How do I get set up? Friend was trying to do same at the weekend and it wouldn't work either.
    Did you try on the app? I have reports of this not working on the app and it works fine registering on the website

• Advertisement

fungie wrote: »
    I've no problem calculating the differential myself but as mentioned the pcc is a complete unknown. I assume the clubs are obliged to update scores by midnight, otherwise how can the system work?

In my home club, your index is updated instantaneously (any pcc is applied after midnight then). No idea why can't all clubs do this.
    The system is now automatic. All scores entered online are pretty much immediately sent to the WHS portal. Obviously if you drop a card in without entering the scores on the computer, there will be a delay before the handicap secretary or whoever is tasked with the job enters the scores from the card. Covid precautions mean that cards shouldn't be handled immediately.

Edit: There are also online apps and webpages where you can enter your scores without using the clubhouse computer. Afaik, both HowDidIDo and Master Scoreboard have these facilities.

If you don't enter your score on the day it was made, it can't be added to your record on that day and be in your HI calculation for the following day.

Advertisement