Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

GreeBo wrote: »
    Then you call through the next group through aswell.
    Anytime there is daylight in front of you and someone behind you, you should call them through, even if that means calling through 3-4 groups.

I've played behind groups that are have lost 2 holes after 5, but will refuse to let more than 1 group through, its shameful.

Put it this way, if you call 5 groups through, you might be adding 25 minutes to your round. And ultimately 25 minutes to all the groups a bit further back. And the fifth group you've called through will save time on their holes after you called them through, but will have lost 20 minutes waiting for you to rejoin the play after calling the first 4 groups through. It might not even benefit them that you called everyone through.

And they might have been following the rule to do that. Roughly every three holes they've fallen behind the group in front and called the next group through.

You could actually multiply it out and see how much time was saved letting groups through and how much time was lost with everyone waiting for you to rejoin. I would say very often calling groups through, particularly later in a round wastes more time than it saves.

I think we should all remember that golfers come in all shapes and sizes and ages too. Some older members might not be able to move as fast, might take a few extra shots in the round, etc. Some people need to cop themselves on and hurry up, but some are perfectly considerate in their behaviour but just can't play faster than slow. I still want those guys in my club.

On a quiet day it works fine. On a choc a block day if there's a group 10 slots in front of me calling groups through it's just adding time to my round. But on a busy day I don't think people really think of how much sense it makes. I think they are just familiar with the rule and think that if people would just follow it, it would improve things. I reckon it can often make the problem worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

blue note wrote: »
    Put it this way, if you call 5 groups through, you might be adding 25 minutes to your round. And ultimately 25 minutes to all the groups a bit further back. And the fifth group you've called through will save time on their holes after you called them through, but will have lost 20 minutes waiting for you to rejoin the play after calling the first 4 groups through. It might not even benefit them that you called everyone through.

And they might have been following the rule to do that. Roughly every three holes they've fallen behind the group in front and called the next group through.

You could actually multiply it out and see how much time was saved letting groups through and how much time was lost with everyone waiting for you to rejoin. I would say very often calling groups through, particularly later in a round wastes more time than it saves.

I think we should all remember that golfers come in all shapes and sizes and ages too. Some older members might not be able to move as fast, might take a few extra shots in the round, etc. Some people need to cop themselves on and hurry up, but some are perfectly considerate in their behaviour but just can't play faster than slow. I still want those guys in my club.

On a quiet day it works fine. On a choc a block day if there's a group 10 slots in front of me calling groups through it's just adding time to my round. But on a busy day I don't think people really think of how much sense it makes. I think they are just familiar with the rule and think that if people would just follow it, it would improve things. I reckon it can often make the problem worse.

If they arent keeping up with the group ahead and lose a hole they should let the group behind through at that stage.In theory the next group aftershould be another 10 mins behind.

When they dont everyone stacks up behind them and to let someone through at that stage is pointless.

Ive played with older members who may move slowly but keep up with the group ahead. Ive also played badly and lost balls etc but would be letting someone you are holding up play through at the earliest opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I wish course rangers were the norm especially in comps. One on the front and one on the back. If a ranger was on the 6th tee saying hey lads you’re 20 mins behind standard target time and you’ve lost two holes that would give just the right prod to keep moving. If the speed merchants knew the rangers were there then they might check out of their crusades to police the course. There’s a lot of frustration when one group is holding up the course and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

If they arent keeping up with the group ahead and lose a hole they should let the group behind through at that stage.In theory the next group aftershould be another 10 mins behind.

When they dont everyone stacks up behind them and to let someone through at that stage is pointless.

Ive played with older members who may move slowly but keep up with the group ahead. Ive also played badly and lost balls etc but would be letting someone you are holding up play through at the earliest opportunity

I've played when older, bad golfers who were fast players. But I've also played when people who just aren't able to get about quickly any more. They're doing things right, but he body isn't able to walk as fast, bend down as quickly, take clubs out of the bag as quickly. Both types exist. Most people who are slow are slow because of their behaviour, not their bodies. But both exist.

And bunching happens very quickly. It's all well and good saying in theory the next group should be 10 minutes behind, but in reality if a group is calling someone through the group immediately after them is probably right behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thats why you call them through early though, if you wait until the entire course is piled up waiting for you, then its too late.

I dont think I have ever seen people being called through making things worse (unless of course you call people through on a difficult par 3 or something silly like that)
    Wait until a par 4 or 5, hit your drives and start walking. As soon as the next group is on the tee, let them hit and stand out of the way The impact to you is minimal and by definition, you have just reset the gap behind you, so the group who are now behind you should be 8-9 mins behind.

If you are slow then too bad if it adds 25 minutes to your round, if you do it properly it wont add anything to the people behind or at worst will minimise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And bunching happens very quickly. It's all well and good saying in theory the next group should be 10 minutes behind, but in reality if a group is calling someone through the group immediately after them is probably right behind them.

It takes 1 group to be 10 minutes slower than the next group for bunching to happen, thats not "quickly" imo, you can have each player in a 3 ball lose a ball and still only lose 9 mins.

Again, if the course is all caught up behind you, then you left it too late to call through.

I've played when older, bad golfers who were fast players. But I've also played when people who just aren't able to get about quickly any more. They're doing things right, but he body isn't able to walk as fast, bend down as quickly, take clubs out of the bag as quickly. Both types exist. Most people who are slow are slow because of their behaviour, not their bodies. But both exist.

Bunching only happens when the group causing it wont release the pressure backing up by not letting people through early enough.

Its common sense and courtesy.

And to be perfectly honest physical ability to move about the course is not the major cause of slow play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

the problem is alot of the time is it just takes a few ignorant lads to goose it all up.
    I put my name down on timesheet in my place last week. There were 3 other names on the sheet that I didn't know. When I arrived to the tee box two of them were there but told me they didn't want to play with me (or the other guy) that they were in a hurry to finish and get to work. They were prickish about it aswell.
    Said I'd leave them at it, last thing I wanted was to spend 4 hours in the company of a pair of assholes. Turns out the 4th fella was a gent and we had a great time together. But all the way around we were stuck behind the two boys. They searched for balls on every hole, kept leaving bags in the wrong place - at one stage they had a confrontation with another group over right of way on the course.

willabur wrote: »
    the problem is alot of the time is it just takes a few ignorant lads to goose it all up.
    I put my name down on timesheet in my place last week. There were 3 other names on the sheet that I didn't know. When I arrived to the tee box two of them were there but told me they didn't want to play with me (or the other guy) that they were in a hurry to finish and get to work. They were prickish about it aswell.
    Said I'd leave them at it, last thing I wanted was to spend 4 hours in the company of a pair of assholes. Turns out the 4th fella was a gent and we had a great time together. But all the way around we were stuck behind the two boys. They searched for balls on every hole, kept leaving bags in the wrong place - at one stage they had a confrontation with another group over right of way on the course.

Jaysus

Ignorant and slow

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Wait until a par 4 or 5, hit your drives and start walking. As soon as the next group is on the tee, let them hit and stand out of the way The impact to you is minimal and by definition, you have just reset the gap behind you, so the group who are now behind you should be 8-9 mins behind.

How is that impact minimal? Fair enough you won't delay the first group playing through by doing that. But once they walk through you won't be able to hit your second shot until they've cleared the green. In the meantime the group behind them will have surely finished the previous hole (if not they'll be more than a hole behind the group they were following). So they'll be on the tee waiting for you to clear when you're playing your second. So immediately you're in a situation where, if you're slow, you're holding up the group behind you.

If you wait for the group in front of you to get a bit of distance ahead before letting the next group behind you through, everyone behind them will be catching up with each other and bunching. Then the next time you call someone through, if you do it in a similar manner, the group following them will be on the tee waiting for you to hit your second before the group ahead has even reached the green. And then you're in a situation where the groups you let through will benefit from it from the point that you leave them through. And the groups behind will suffer for it.

Players playing a different paces is a problem, but definitely not one with an easy fix. I don't think calling groups through helps on the very busy days unless you're looking for a ball or the like because I don't see how what I've outlined above isn't the case. And from experience, I've been a couple of groups back from the slow one in the past and exactly what I've outlined has happened. The slow group lets others through every few holes and we all end up waiting while they rejoin play. If I'm close enough to the top it's nice to get the clear run after you're called through, but if you're not you'll end up chatting to the next group on a tee box waiting for the fairway to clear.

It's so selfish when 2 people effectively want the 4 slots on the line so they can play in their group of 2. I'm convinced that lots of groups in our club book a whole line for this reason. I was off work for a while and looking to play midweek a few times, but the timesheet would be full, or I'd be stuck on my own sticking my name down (and not get to play in the comp and be stuck behind fourballs). But in reality you can be sure there were only people for about 75% of the bookings. There were some days where there were 120 slots on the timesheet for an open comp all taken, then if the weather was good you'd have about 90 cards returned. If the weather wasn't great fewer again. And if the weather was really bad I wouldn't blame people too much to be fair.

I've also had a pair tell me that they're going to go on ahead because they want to get to work for the afternoon. I joined in with a group a little later. And just last week my brother in law and I were about 10 minutes late teeing off and the pair we were supposed to be playing with didn't show. A pair did however tee off 2 groups before us. Making the group in front of us late teeing off. There were no groups of 2 on the timesheet. I would put money on the two that we were supposed to be playing with deciding to just sneak out early to be on their own. Then the result was we were 10 minutes late teeing off and waiting for every shot because we were out in a two ball behind a full timesheet of fourballs.

Some people just have no consideration for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

There are 2 correct ways to call people thru.
    Ether on a par 3 you tee off get to the green let the next tee off chip on and mark your balls as they are walking up.
    Finish off your putts after they leave the green.

Second way on a par 4 tee off get to your balls, let the second group tee off hit your approach to the green while they are walking up that way u have cleared the fairway and are right behind the group and not delaying the group behind.

Obviously if you are looking for balls or heading back to the tee to hit a second it's easy.

I thinking telling them to speed up works wonders most of the time.

On the 2 guys that held u up after telling u they didn't want to play with u I would have rung the clubhouse to complain and then asked someone to come out and speed them up.

There is a difference between pace of play and 1 group holding up the whole show.
    Just keep up with the group ahead its simple enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You made one mistake. You should have told them that you were on the sheet at the specified time. If they didn’t want to play with you, they can go out after you.

I can’t believe the attitude of some golfers, really stinks and that’s not the way this game should be played.

There was a few Small groups this morning in castleknock and a good few no shows apparently. One early group was a 2 ball had a laSt minute drop out, group behind was a 4 ball and there was a few empty spots behind them. The 4 ball refused to split and accommodate the single golfer....... he went home upset he couldn’t play. Now I don’t understand this because it not a competition and he could have played alone, but I guess some people just Don’t like playing alone.

Then another group had a no show, lady hung around for about 30 mins till I showed as there was only 2 on my line. I didn’t know the other lad, walked to the tee with the lady, waited 10 minutes after appointed time and still no sign of the other golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

It's so selfish when 2 people effectively want the 4 slots on the line so they can play in their group of 2. I'm convinced that lots of groups in our club book a whole line for this reason. I was off work for a while and looking to play midweek a few times, but the timesheet would be full, or I'd be stuck on my own sticking my name down (and not get to play in the comp and be stuck behind fourballs). But in reality you can be sure there were only people for about 75% of the bookings. There were some days where there were 120 slots on the timesheet for an open comp all taken, then if the weather was good you'd have about 90 cards returned. If the weather wasn't great fewer again. And if the weather was really bad I wouldn't blame people too much to be fair.

I've also had a pair tell me that they're going to go on ahead because they want to get to work for the afternoon. I joined in with a group a little later. And just last week my brother in law and I were about 10 minutes late teeing off and the pair we were supposed to be playing with didn't show. A pair did however tee off 2 groups before us. Making the group in front of us late teeing off. There were no groups of 2 on the timesheet. I would put money on the two that we were supposed to be playing with deciding to just sneak out early to be on their own. Then the result was we were 10 minutes late teeing off and waiting for every shot because we were out in a two ball behind a full timesheet of fourballs.

Some people just have no consideration for others.

I’ve seen similar at ours. But lads book in ‘guest’ with them to fill the 4 slots.

I think it is the height of ignorance especially given the current situation and the pressures on timesheets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

The only time its worth calling through, even if there is a gap opening up infront of the slow group, is if there is also a gap behind the group about to be let through. So that the slow lads have space to apsorb back to the next group back rather than already be holding up another group. With a full packed time sheet, (especially with 8 or 9 min gaps), then there no point. Its effectively asking the slow lads to stand back until the whole field plays true and there a gap for the slow group at the back. Which is unfair on them. There entitled to there game to, even if some lads would ideally like to push on quicker. Some lads bitch about not being let true. But they should look behind themselves first to see if thats reasonable. Its theres loads of groups backed up, then sorry, but playing true isnt an realistic option. If your out on your own on a quiet course, then sure, they should let you go and carry on at their own pace.

• Advertisement

The only time its worth calling through, even if there is a gap opening up infront of the slow group, is if there is also a gap behind the group about to be let through. So that the slow lads have space to apsorb back to the next group back rather than already be holding up another group. With a full packed time sheet, (especially with 8 or 9 min gaps), then there no point. Its effectively asking the slow lads to stand back until the whole field plays true and there a gap for the slow group at the back. Which is unfair on them. There entitled to there game to, even if some lads would ideally like to push on quicker. Some lads bitch about not being let true. But they should look behind themselves first to see if thats reasonable. Its theres loads of groups backed up, then sorry, but playing true isnt an realistic option. If your out on your own on a quiet course, then sure, they should let you go and carry on at their own pace.

I guess you are part of the problem so

Seve OB wrote: »
    I guess you are part of the problem so

How? He says nothing to indicate he's slow. I still can't understand how calling groups through causes no delay to the people behind. The way Mike12 describes is the way I think causes the least delay, but it still causes a bit. GreeBos method would cause bigger delays. But if a group is slow, I can see no way that they can call groups through, rejoin and not slow everyone down as they do.

So I think he's right. On a day where it's choc a block, they're doing more harm than good calling groups through.

How? He says nothing to indicate he's slow.

what he says is that if you loose ground on the group in front, you shouldn't call the group behind if there is more groups behind them!

what he says is that if you loose ground on the group in front, you shouldn't call the group behind if there is more groups behind them!

I agree with him. Too many times I've ended up on a tee box with the group in front or behind me waiting for everyone to get going again. Because the group at the front decided to call the group behind trough and we all have to wait while they rejoin play.

My experience is that it doesn't work. And thinking it through I can't see how it will work. And when I ask people how it will work they can't explain it. It's just a common misconception that's drilled into us from an early age. But on the busy days it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

We are defo back now that the slow play posts have kicked off :)

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    We are defo back now that the slow play posts have kicked off :)

3hour round today for me :D... well 3hr and 2 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭moycullen14

You made one mistake. You should have told them that you were on the sheet at the specified time. If they didn’t want to play with you, they can go out after you.

I can’t believe the attitude of some golfers, really stinks and that’s not the way this game should be played.

There was a few Small groups this morning in castleknock and a good few no shows apparently. One early group was a 2 ball had a laSt minute drop out, group behind was a 4 ball and there was a few empty spots behind them. The 4 ball refused to split and accommodate the single golfer....... he went home upset he couldn’t play. Now I don’t understand this because it not a competition and he could have played alone, but I guess some people just Don’t like playing alone.

Then another group had a no show, lady hung around for about 30 mins till I showed as there was only 2 on my line. I didn’t know the other lad, walked to the tee with the lady, waited 10 minutes after appointed time and still no sign of the other golfer.

That is really bad. You never, ever refuse to play with someone, especially a fellow member. We would always split up/reorganise to accommodate people who are stuck, it's just what you do.

The mind boggles as to what these 'couples' are up to that they don't want company (witnesses?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

That is really bad. You never, ever refuse to play with someone, especially a fellow member. We would always split up/reorganise to accommodate people who are stuck, it's just what you do.

The mind boggles as to what these 'couples' are up to that they don't want company (witnesses?).

This reminds me, I was down to play with a buddy when a gent asked if he could join us. We said of course. Turns out he was on the time sheet earlier but the pair he was down with said they only wanted to play 9 and were in a rush.

I’ve no idea if they walked off after 9 or not but I thought it was rude of them to leave this man on his own

Well where do you expect the slow group to fit in when there isn't a gap.

And I am by no means slow by the way no need for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This attitude sickens me, an absolute blight on the game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What really bugs me is groups who don't wait for their tee time and instead tee off as soon as my group is out of range off the first tee. It happened to me a couple of times in medals last year, then course marshal would inevitably come over telling us to speed up as the gap between us and the group in front was too much and the group behind was being held up. Since then any medal group I've been part of I insist we do the same and tee off once group in front is out of range. It's a vicious circle but it drives me nuts being told to speed up when I know were are playing at a good pace

3hour round today for me :D... well 3hr and 2 minutes!

4 ball was 3.5 hours for me last Friday. the week before it was 4.5!! but the course was clear so didn't hold anyone up.

Its great to get out early and have the golf finished by 11ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

What really bugs me is groups who don't wait for their tee time and instead tee off as soon as my group is out of range off the first tee. It happened to me a couple of times in medals last year, then course marshal would inevitably come over telling us to speed up as the gap between us and the group in front was too much and the group behind was being held up. Since then any medal group I've been part of I insist we do the same and tee off once group in front is out of range. It's a vicious circle but it drives me nuts being told to speed up when I know were are playing at a good pace

It might be an annoyance to you but more importantly... it's a breach of the rules of golf.

If you tee off up to 5 minutes before your teetime, it is a 2 stroke penalty. If it is any more than 5 minutes, it's disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

A few friends of mine started playing this year, great to have a few people to regularly play with. They're decent players, but veryslow. 3 or 4 practise swings, or marking and checking putts even after they have scratched the hole. Or worse is stopping to tell a story before teeing off, it drives me mad. Not sure how best to say it to someone, to hurry the round up?

HighLine wrote: »
    It might be an annoyance to you but more importantly... it's a breach of the rules of golf.

If you tee off up to 5 minutes before your teetime, it is a 2 stroke penalty. If it is any more than 5 minutes, it's disqualification.

I did not know that. What if you swap times with another group because one of theirs is running late and your group is ready to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bamayang wrote:
    A few friends of mine started playing this year, great to have a few people to regularly play with. They're decent players, but veryslow. 3 or 4 practise swings, or marking and checking putts even after they have scratched the hole. Or worse is stopping to tell a story before teeing off, it drives me mad. Not sure how best to say it to someone, to hurry the round up?

If your group is holding up the group behind, you point it out and say we need to speed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote:
    If your group is holding up the group behind, you point it out and say we need to speed up.

And the same if you are losing ground on the group in front

I did not know that. What if you swap times with another group because one of theirs is running late and your group is ready to go?

You would have to get a committee approval.

I'll quote the general rule for starting times below if anyone is interested in reading it.
    Starting and Ending Round

a
    When to Start Round
    A player’s round starts when the player makes a stroke to start his or her first hole (see Rule 6.1a).

The player must start at (and not before) his or her starting time:

This means that the player must be ready to play at the starting time and starting point set by the Committee.
    A starting time set by the Committee is treated as an exact time (for example, 9 am means 9:00:00 am, not any time until 9:01 am).
    If the starting time is delayed for any reason (such as weather, slow play of other groups or the need for a ruling by a referee), there is no breach of this Rule if the player is present and ready to play when the player’s group is able to start.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 5.3a: Disqualification, except in these three cases:

Exception 1 – Player Arrives at Starting Point, Ready to Play, No More Than Five Minutes Late: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.
    Exception 2 – Player Starts No More Than Five Minutes Early: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.
    Exception 3 – Committee Decides that Exceptional Circumstances Prevented Player from Starting on Time: There is no breach of this Rule and no penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

The funny thing about golf is taking your time and over thinking it doesn't lead to better golf.
    If u are focused when u arrive at your ball it's a simple process to get ready to hit.

Every course should have a standard time to play and every golfer should be responsible enough to adhere to that time.

If it means walking really fast for a couple of holes to get back on pace so be it.

I'm a fast player, it doesn't bother me at all if the course is slow, it really bothers me if a group are slow and make no effort to catch up.
    In our club u ring the shop and they send someone out seems to do the trick every time.

HighLine wrote: »
    You would have to get a committee approval.

I'll quote the general rule for starting times below if anyone is interested in reading it.

I wonder how many clubs actually abide to this rule? I think you would need a starter to be able to enforce this?

Or is it up to the people in the group to let the offender know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

slingerz wrote: »
    This reminds me, I was down to play with a buddy when a gent asked if he could join us. We said of course. Turns out he was on the time sheet earlier but the pair he was down with said they only wanted to play 9 and were in a rush.

I’ve no idea if they walked off after 9 or not but I thought it was rude of them to leave this man on his own

Myself and one of the lads I play with regularly would play 9/12 quite regularly. If a third player adds himself to the sheet are we expected to play the full 18...?

I wonder how many clubs actually abide to this rule? I think you would need a starter to be able to enforce this?

Very few I would imagine. Late arrivers I have seen disqualified but I have never seen anyone called up on going out before their teetime.

I'd say no clubs abide by it. If someone is running late and others are ready to go it's a win win to switch times. Sometimes you'll have people switch groups on the day for whatever reason. By the sounds of it you'd need committee approval for that?

I'd you tried to apply that rule rigidly you'd need a committee member at the first tee all morning to okay the switches or else you'll end up with people not getting to play. No-one wins then.

yea its an interesting one. im nearly always only getting to the course just in time for my tee time never to early. like to have a few putts and maybe swing into he net a little.

sometimes there is nobody in front of you, your playing partners up on the box calling you. i generally let them wait, i'm not ready!

but sometimes you do get told by the proshop that the tee is free and to work away. would that constitute as being a breach or is it ok?

• Advertisement

Rushden wrote: »
    Myself and one of the lads I play with regularly would play 9/12 quite regularly. If a third player adds himself to the sheet are we expected to play the full 18...?

if you are entered into an 18 hole competition..... then yes, you are expected to play the full 18 and not leave someone stranded

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, if it's a competition you should finish the round. Casual golf, i've no issues with someone leaving after 9/12. I've done it, and had it done to me.

I don't mind playing solo though, and sometimes really enjoy it tbh.

This attitude sickens me, an absolute blight on the game.

Are you saying that on a full course, the quickest group is entitled to set the pace, which all others most stick with, and any group that can't, has to stand aside until there is a gap? Possibly hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Well where do you expect the slow group to fit in when there isn't a gap.

There's no room for slow groups on the golf course. Particularly when there's no gaps.

You either keep up with the group in front of you, or you let others who are capable of doing that through.

If that means you're constantly standing aside and letting groups through all day, so be it.

However if you're doing this you really don't belong on a golf course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

if you are entered into an 18 hole competition..... then yes, you are expected to play the full 18 and not leave someone stranded

Ah yeah I mean at the minute with casual golf only. I wouldn't expect and thankfully have never seen anyone enter a competition if they didn't expect to finish it out

JCDUB wrote: »
    There's no room for slow groups on the golf course. Particularly when there's no gaps.

You either keep up with the group in front of you, or you let others who are capable of doing that through.

If that means you're constantly standing aside and letting groups through all day, so be it.

So the quickest group, whatever that speed they decide to play at, sets the required speed for everyone else on the course?

• Advertisement

JCDUB wrote: »

Equally, that just means you are the slowest. So whoever the slowest group is should not be their.
    Where do quick golfers (and I'd say in reality their only quick on the days that suits them to be) get this God complex about their speed being the right speed?

look, if you are slow and loosing mega time, then JC makes a fair point.
    most courses have set timing standards, if you are within that and within a hole of the group in front, there shouldn't be an issue.
    most of the time people will loose balls etc and that when the groups behind get called through, or if there is a smaller group behind clearly playing quicker..... but some people are just ignorant and refuse to call through.

anyway, i think we have gone off on a tangent and this conversation probably belongs in the slow play thread, so i'm done on this for now.

And to get us back on topic....

who else is excited about competitions starting back up again next week and the battle for the handicap reductions can commence.

I've no doubt that i'll probably leave the reasonably good golf that I've been playing under casual conditions behind and go out and shoot 20 something points.... that would be typical wouldn't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

So the quickest group, whatever that speed they decide to play at, sets the required speed for everyone else on the course?

No. The group ahead of you sets the pace, in general. However if they are slow, and can't keep up with the group ahead of them, then they must stand aside and let you through.

As we are all aware, and we all see on signs on 1st/10th tees up and down the country, "your place on the golf course is directly behind the group in front of you, not directly in front of the group behind you."
    Equally, that just means you are the slowest. So whoever the slowest group is should not be their.
    Where do quick golfers (and I'd say in reality their only quick on the days that suits them to be) get this God complex about their speed being the right speed?

If you can't keep up with the group ahead of you, then you shouldn't be there. There are always exceptions, for example a two ball with a big gap in front of them going out just ahead of a four ball. Obviously the four ball won't keep up here. But if there's a gap and two balls going out it's probably not a competition.

IMO there are particular times when most courses are less busy (obviously less so at the moment) that most members are aware of. These are the times that consistently slower golfers should try to play, while still bearing in mind course etiquette and politeness to others.

Certainly, if they can't keep up when playing competitions, they shouldn't be playing competitions.

And to get us back on topic....

who else is excited about competitions starting back up again next week and the battle for the handicap reductions can commence.

I've no doubt that i'll probably leave the reasonably good golf that I've been playing under casual conditions behind and go out and shoot 20 something points.... that would be typical wouldn't it!

I cant wait for it tbh.

Been playing well since reopening and had a bit of consistency too. Hoping i can keep it going

• Advertisement
Advertisement