Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas during Covid times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

DSN wrote: »
    They said they were isolating two weeks?? So why not pop to see granny for an HR or two adter isolation with masks distancing etc if you really want to see her & she them?

If they not actually isolating / testing then that's a whole different story of course.
    I don't care really I just know some very lonely older people out there who don't do facetime zoom etc she'd prob love to see your actual face (even if it's through a window)

Because you still need a test at the end of the two weeks to prove you're not asymptomatic.

And itscnot clear from the post if the self isolation is before or after travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We hope to do a lot of it around the 15th of December and we’d just need to collect our Turkey, get Milk, Veg, Desserts on the 23rd.

Are you planning on going out to get it or do it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

We hope to do a lot of it around the 15th of December and we’d just need to collect our Turkey, get Milk, Veg, Desserts on the 23rd.

Already done for the once offs foods and gifts for both the Winter Solstice and those who celebrate Christmas. Basic's etc can be done locally if needs be. Thanks goes out to those who purchased Irish gifts online for me and on my behalf.
    Support Irish if you can this year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

No work night is just about justifying covid altogether.

My workplace is organising a virtual zoom work night out. I suspect I’ll have ‘issues’ with my internet that night.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    My workplace is organising a virtual zoom work night out. I suspect I’ll have ‘issues’ with my internet that night.

I wonder would many people actually be up for something like that? You’d have to imagine it’s a tiny amount.

Getting sweets and stuff from amazon and have meat got and in the freezer. Avoiding all shops in December if possible apart from one very late run some night to get vegetables for the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Had a chat with my parents about Christmas Day over the weekend. My Dad is suffering from shingles at the moment. He's in his 70's and has a really bad dose of it. We decided that it might be best if they don't come to ours for Christmas dinner this year - my mum is just really worried that with my Dad's immune system so low that if he caught anything it would really do him in. My brothers will go over to my parents for dinner as they can easily self isolate for a couple of weeks beforehand. Not so easy for us with the kids in school up to the Tuesday before Christmas.

In all honesty I'm rather happy. My husband, while he's polite to my family, doesn't really get on with them very well. So while I love hosting my family and getting to chat to them and all, I'm looking forward to a Christmas Eve that we can relax and not worry about cleaning glasses and setting the table and chopping vegetables etc. The kids can stay in their pajamas on Christmas Day if they like. We might actually get to watch a Christmas movie.

i don't want it to be like this every year. But one year I'm happy enough with.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

I wonder would many people actually be up for something like that? You’d have to imagine it’s a tiny amount.

Not too tiny. Internet is not something unusual novadays. I'm going to buy some Guinness and have a pint with colleagues virtually. Obviously company will also organise some wider virtual event, there will no restaurant outings this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Christmas Zoom work do's are nonsensical. Anymore than four people on a call and you can't really have a proper chat. It's not like at a real work do everyone stands in a massive circle and shouts at one another, you split off into twos and threes and have individual chats during the night.

If they absolutely must do something online, make it during office hours, at the end of the day. No more than a half hour, your boss can give a speech and maybe do a few awards, say thanks and tell everyone that the company will organise a proper work night out during the first month that the country/county is down at Level 1. That way you mark the year and let everyone know you're not cheapskating it. No need for cocktail making kits or spin off rooms or forced chats where your boss is basically Person 1 and everyone else is Person 2.

If you have a tiny office, like no more than five people, you could maybe get away with the Zoom call as long as it's done with something else, like posting out a hamper or bottles of wine or something. But I'd say skip it, even if the office is tiny, and just promise a nice restaurant meal when we're able to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'd imagine so, can be torture enough during normal times but that just sounds horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

JDD wrote: »
    Christmas Zoom work do's are nonsensical. Anymore than four people on a call and you can't really have a proper chat. It's not like at a real work do everyone stands in a massive circle and shouts at one another, you split off into twos and threes and have individual chats during the night.

If they absolutely must do something online, make it during office hours, at the end of the day. No more than a half hour, your boss can give a speech and maybe do a few awards, say thanks and tell everyone that the company will organise a proper work night out during the first month that the country/county is down at Level 1. That way you mark the year and let everyone know you're not cheapskating it. No need for cocktail making kits or spin off rooms or forced chats where your boss is basically Person 1 and everyone else is Person 2.

If you have a tiny office, like no more than five people, you could maybe get away with the Zoom call as long as it's done with something else, like posting out a hamper or bottles of wine or something. But I'd say skip it, even if the office is tiny, and just promise a nice restaurant meal when we're able to do it.

This post is hilarious but so true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Sorry but I can see a load of people coming home from UK, deciding after a couple of days that they feel fine, isolation is bad for their mental health and shur what's the harm in popping to the shops, visiting Auntie Mary, meeting the lads from school for a couple of pints.

These people, travelling home full of virtuous good intentions are going to do a lot of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Just wondering how people are actively following the guidelines in their houses.
    We have extra mask wearing going on by some family members and not others and wondering whats the norm across Ireland?

We are also keeping back door ajar a lot so lots of air flow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If there's other people joining ye on Christmas, I don't see the harm in being safe and wearing masks.

This is from UCC, some helpful advice for Christmas
    https://mobile.twitter.com/UCC/status/1342079753789075459

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Don't know how much dinner I'd get in my gob with a mask on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

We are on our own , so no need for masks, will video chat with family later to say Happy Christmas.

We have had covid in the house so according to the government we should have some immunity, but we are taking no chances that we could infect others or could get infected with the new variant.

We are happy to stay in our home if it means we have our family for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'll be wearing a mask.

But only a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Plenty of hand washing, windows open, masks worn and 2 metres distancing between everyone. No sharing of dishes, cutlery or condiments.

Happy oddball Christmas everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Masks are prohibited within my property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

I'll be wearing a mask.

But only a mask.

Same, but not on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

No we're just having the dinner in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Just wondering how people are actively following the guidelines in their houses.
    We have extra mask wearing going on by some family members and not others and wondering whats the norm across Ireland?

We are also keeping back door ajar a lot so lots of air flow.

Ridiculous. Like if you're gonna take needless risks and travel, why would you bother following guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

No we're just having the dinner in the garden.

Same

Brother in law says his Aldi Chimenea gives good heat so it might be nice out there, its dry at the moment about 3c, not much wind.

Only risk I can see is the Labrador, he will go to everyone for a pat, will be hard to keep the 4,5 and 8 year olds off each other as well

Sisters husband is Czech so he might bring some Finlandia to warm us up

Be safe everyone, merry Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Isn't opening the windows just blowing the virus about?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wearing them going into shops is as far as it goes with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Isn't opening the windows just blowing the virus about?

Think of it like MiWadi. Opening a window reduces the overall concentration of the virus in the room. Without ventilation it'll lurk in the air much longer too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wearing them going into shops is as far as it goes with me.

This. Certainly not in a private home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not a hope people will follow these guidelines. Laughable.

Advertisement