Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire HD 10 Argos €109

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Thanks OP. I had actually ordered this only 30 mins ago from Amazon! Came to £97 which converted to €117.86. Not much in the difference but handy to buy it in a local shop and no need to wait a week for delivery.

For anyone considering this tablet, I can recommend it. I have the last version which I bought about 8 months ago. Great little tablet and you can work around the lack of the play store app. Have everything on it that I have on my other tablets including my Google Nexus 7 from 2012 which is still going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

One thing, its a bit awkward putting apps on it when you want to use the Tablet in Kids mode i.e Kids Youtube
    You will need to install google playstore on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Also buy the version with the ads, as its handy enough to remove the ads yourselff and save yourself a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

billbond4 wrote: »
    Also buy the version with the ads, as its handy enough to remove the ads yourselff and save yourself a few quid

You might let us know how to do that?

Via PM if you'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I have it it in basket. I’m interested to know how aswell (via PM if necessary). Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What are they like as a tablet? I vaguely remember reading that they're much more locked down than most Android devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

What are they like as a tablet? I vaguely remember reading that they're much more locked down than most Android devices?

As mentioned above, it's easy enough to 'jailbreak' and load playstore but as standard they're pretty good anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I have one Fire is a nightmare in that installing Google Playstore and Chrome involves using older versions and installing a few other things you need to get them to run. The tablet is cheap but the Amazon echo system kills it for me but hench it's cheap price.

My last one came with ads and i contacted Amazon chat and asked them to remove them and they did. For free!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Last time I bought a Fire 7 from Argos, I just emailed Amazon saying that it was bought in Argos and there was no mention of ads in the listing.
    They removed the ads straight away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Why do I come into this forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    The tablet is cheap but the Amazon echo system kills it for me but hench it's cheap price.

What do you mean by the amazon echo system?
    I'm interested in the tablet but I won't have Alexa in the house, I don't want stuff that can listen/record people talking..
    Can you turn that voice recognition stuff off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

eyerer wrote: »

Yes, very easy to do.

ive a fire hd 7 and i find it a very slow "tablet"

its perfect for reading, its fine for the netflix app.

its laggy for browsing and moving between apps.

would this newer model be a big improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

octa core processor with 2gb ram i dont think it will slow down.
    but obviously depends on your usage and how many apps photos and music you store on it.

I'm interested in the tablet but I won't have Alexa in the house, I don't want stuff that can listen/record people talking..

All the apps on the tablet are Amazon apps. Google PlayStore is not meant to be used on it but obviously you can but a refined version still all the apps from it work. Alexa can be turned off as someone else said.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jayo99

Hey Guys, looking at getting one of these for the kids.
    Can a Fire HD10 be setup (easily) to run as a Fire HD10 Kid (with kids unlimited) ? I figure I'll pick up a protective case somewhere.
    Thx !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He means ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

jayo99 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, looking at getting one of these for the kids.
    Can a Fire HD10 be setup (easily) to run as a Fire HD10 Kid (with kids unlimited) ? I figure I'll pick up a protective case somewhere.
    Thx !

Yes, provided you have a kids unlimited account, which isn't available in Ireland unless you have convinced Amazon you are UK based ;)

I have one Fire is a nightmare in that installing Google Playstore and Chrome involves using older versions and installing a few other things you need to get them to run. The tablet is cheap but the Amazon echo system kills it for me but hench it's cheap price.

Loads of online guides on how to install playstore (you can install APKs without having to do this). There are few packages to download and run but I wouldn't call it a 'nightmare'.

• Advertisement

The 8 and 10 are a good deal faster than the 7. The 7 is fine for single app activity (kids) or Netflix and the like but slow for switching or browsing. If you are planning and using it as a main tablet go for the 8 or 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Just reserved one for in store collection,I persume the won't be much trouble putting Google play store on it?.

being realistic the fire tablets interface is pretty sh1t for use on Android. it's ugly, clunky and completely revolves around Amazon.

this is with the play store on it.

takes more technically messing but you're better off completely re-flashing proper android onto it.

(may not be possible on all versions)

and the hd 7 is muck - avoid.

the 8 has a bit more ram that makes it just about usable.

I'd recommend more to find/wait for a deal on a Samsung / Huawie / Mi android tablet.

wingnut wrote: »
    Loads of online guides on how to install playstore (you can install APKs without having to do this). There are few packages to download and run but I wouldn't call it a 'nightmare'.

I wasn't saying its a nightmare to install all the APKs and stuff its actually easy but you need a guide because they have to installed in a certain order. I agreed with the last poster in hindsight i would have got an Android tablet but the problem is they range from cheap to very expensive.

BTW i got the docking station when i bought the HD 10 its a great piece of kit cant imagine not having it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

This is the guide I followed twice previously and worked fine , just take your time and there may be some slightly newer versions of files listed ,
    Probably took 15 mins max and most of that was the downloading.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Have 1 on reserve myself.

BTW i got the docking station when i bought the HD 10 its a great piece of kit cant imagine not having it now.

Did you buy that from Amazon?

Rooy wrote: »
    This is the guide I followed twice previously and worked fine , just take your time and there may be some slightly newer versions of files listed ,
    Probably took 15 mins max and most of that was the downloading.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

this puts the play store on but you're left with the horrific amazon GUI, terrible settings options and all those irrelevant Amazon apps cluttering up things.

glasso wrote: »
    this puts the play store on but you're left with the horrific amazon GUI, terrible settings options and all those irrelevant Amazon apps cluttering up things.

You can install another launcher.

• Advertisement

this is a much much better option imo

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058033819

you can install another launcher but the whole interface software is awful - you can't change the settings with a launcher.

Advertisement