Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire HD 10 Argos €109

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just a heads up,if it's for kids or another family member, don't link it to your own Amazon account or if you have to then block access to spending on it or use the remove card option.
    Even with parental controls on,my little one managed to order ebooks but in fairness, Amazon refunded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Amazon themselves have some great BF deals on these now, Fire HD 8 for £45.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

glasso wrote: »
    this is a much much better option imo

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058033819

you can install another launcher but the whole interface software is awful - you can't change the settings with a launcher.

But its c. €60 more.

I just bought the HD 10 for the young lad

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

wingnut wrote: »
    You can install another launcher.

I don't think you can change the default launcher on the fire, can you?
    The interface is fine. Most people will use it for browsing the web, watching Netflix or reading magazines and it is perfect for all of those

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Just a heads up,if it's for kids or another family member, don't link it to your own Amazon account or if you have to then block access to spending on it or use the remove card option.
    Even with parental controls on,my little one managed to order ebooks but in fairness, Amazon refunded me.

In my case child was asking Alexa to play songs and then managing to subscribe to Amazon music which i was charged..

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    But its c. €60 more.

I just bought the HD 10 for the young lad

sometimes it's worth spending the extra money!

unless you are intending to use the amazon tablet as amazon wants you to use it then it's not a good solution - at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

unless you are intending to use the amazon tablet as amazon wants you to use it then it's not a good solution - at all.

Ordered the Mediapad M5 10 Lite from Amazon Germany - I was going to order an iPad Pro but I think it’s overkill for what I will use it for (netflix, youtube etc)

All the reviews seem great for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

99% of the time it's YouTube on it here. Minecraft works on it so that's one kid happy.

If it's for kids then no point spending too much on it. Charging port got damaged on one here, it's cheaper to buy a new tablet than pay for a repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Did you buy that from Amazon?

I did.

Sorry, but that's just wrong, our boys have had fires for the past 2 years, I released them and added playstore so they had access to the apps they wanted, they've been great. The vast majority of use has been youtube, movies I've loaded on the SD card and Netflix, their games are all pretty basic, Roblox and Minecraft (see we're not the only ones :)) which they've handled very well and takenb every bump and knock along the way, something I'd be very concerned about with a more expensive item.

Oh and I did get myself a nice Lenovo tablet a couple of years back for a couple of hundred euros which turned out to be a dog, so slow it wasn't funny esp when your 6yo is asking why it's slow and his fire's rocking along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

this is a much much better option imo

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058033819

you can install another launcher but the whole interface software is awful - you can't change the settings with a launcher.

All gone - I got one just in time. Thanks for the reminder.

bladespin wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's just wrong, our boys have had fires for the past 2 years, I released them and added playstore so they had access to the apps they wanted, they've been great. The vast majority of use has been youtube, movies I've loaded on the SD card and Netflix, their games are all pretty basic, Roblox and Minecraft (see we're not the only ones :)) which they've handled very well and takenb every bump and knock along the way, something I'd be very concerned about with a more expensive item.

Oh and I did get myself a nice Lenovo tablet a couple of years back for a couple of hundred euros which turned out to be a dog, so slow it wasn't funny esp when your 6yo is asking why it's slow and his fire's rocking along.

you obviously bought an under-powered Lenovo unit - you have to know a little about the cpu power and ram amount of what you're buying.....

I've had both (a proper android tablet!) and fire tablets (hd 8) and the fires are not a comparable experience.

you obviously bought an under-powered Lenovo unit - you have to know a little about the cpu power and ram amount of what you're buying.....

I did, despite respectable specs and despite knowing quite a lot about about CPU performance, ram etc still it was a steamer compared to the Fire.

If you want a 'proper' tablet with superior capabilities then look elsewhere but if you want a budget tab that will perform just as well as any Samsung etc for 90 per cent of the time then a fire is the superior option - price and durability.

Those little tabs have outlasted the Lenovo, iPad and Galaxy tabs I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

For anwayone that just wants a budget android tablet I'd recommend the Galaxy Tab A. Great price at the moment, https://www.currys.ie/ieen/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/-samsung_tab_bt_ie-/xx-criteria.html

If you're getting a Fire HD with the aim of using it as an android tablet don't bother. I've tried it a few times and it's far too much hassle. Play store is handy but changing the launcher isn't reliable from my experience.
    I've 45 of those Galaxy Tab A's for work and they're great for the price, I paid €225 for them. €179 with a case n sd card is a great deal, gonna pick up a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Just saw you can put kodi on the amazon fire. That would be enough for me.

I’ve now looked at a few reviews putting them side by side and they’ve all said to go for the Samsung. Worth the extra €60 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

Seems good price for the HD 10 and ideal for streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

bladespin wrote: »

I can report exactly the same!
    Well worth the cheap price and very little hassle getting the play store to work. And we have 3 of 'em! 2x10" and 1x8". Although personally I'd recommend the 8" for smaller children as it's easier to hold.

biebiebie wrote: »
    I can report exactly the same!
    Well worth the cheap price and very little hassle getting the play store to work. And we have 3 of 'em! 2x10" and 1x8". Although personally I'd recommend the 8" for smaller children as it's easier to hold.

A good case for the 10 will cure the holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

bassy wrote: »
    A good case for the 10 will cure the holding.

It's more the size of it. We have both so just going by what I've observed. Btw we have decent leather style cases on all of them.

biebiebie wrote: »
    It's more the size of it. We have both so just going by what I've observed. Btw we have decent leather style cases on all of them.

true I suppose and awkward in ways for young kids.

• Advertisement

What do people be using their tablets for that make opening an app on the Fire is so difficult? :pac:

What do people be using their tablets for that make opening an app on the Fire is so difficult? :pac:

have you a fire HD 10 if so what you think of it and also have you the playstore etc on it?,just asking cause im picking one up on Friday,thanks.

have you a fire HD 10 if so what you think of it and also have you the playstore etc on it?,just asking cause im picking one up on Friday,thanks.

It's fine yeah. I don't have a huge amount on it but haven't had any issues. It's the older one so should be slower but it's been fine for Netflix/Youtube/reading/sports score apps and a few crappy games. Just stuck the play store on it like the link earlier in the thread said and it's grand.

Hardly be any cheaper tomorrow with black friday,no ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Hardly be any cheaper tomorrow with black friday,no ??

I doubt it. The Argos price is cheaper than Amazon's Black Friday deal by about €7!

Battery life is much better than the last version. I contacted Amazon support and asked them to remove the ads which they did :D

I doubt it. The Argos price is cheaper than Amazon's Black Friday deal by about €7!

Battery life is much better than the last version. I contacted Amazon support and asked them to remove the ads which they did :D

So will I have to contact Amazon support to get the ads removed when I buy my one in Argos tomorrow?,also any link or help to Amazon support please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How did you word that?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How did you word that?

Just asked them to remove the ads as they were not relevant to me. They did it in an instant, same as last time!

Just asked them to remove the ads as they were not relevant to me. They did it in an instant, same as last time!

Contact Amazon customer support?,will the still remove them if bought from Argos ?.do you need a Amazon account?.

• Advertisement

So will I have to contact Amazon support to get the ads removed when I buy my one in Argos tomorrow?,also any link or help to Amazon support please.

On your tablet go to:

Settings
    Help
    Contact Us
    Phone & Email
    Device Settings

Type your request

Advertisement