Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire HD 10 Argos €109

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Also reduced again on Amazon UK, stg£109 for 32Gb with special offers.

Not a huge difference between that and €139 in Argos (also €139 in Currys)

the fire hd 8 and 10 are actually passable if you totally wipe the Amazon OS off it and replace it with lineage android (basically a version of normal android)

however, it's a messy job requiring linux/ ubuntu and I don't think that the latest fire hd 10 is even rootable yet.

did finally do it on a fire hd 8 and it's a massive improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

glasso wrote: »
    the fire hd 8 and 10 are actually passable if you totally wipe the Amazon OS off it and replace it with lineage android (basically a version of normal android)

however, it's a messy job requiring linux/ ubuntu and I don't think that the latest fire hd 10 is even rootable yet.

did finally do it on a fire hd 8 and it's a massive improvement.

I think you're overstating the issue for a lot of light users. I'm a huge linux fanboy but my tablet is for watching shows on the way to college and reading the occasional book. Maybe some light web browsing too. I'm not a fan of amazon's os but it is usable and the toolkit listed before in the thread allows for a lot more non root customisation including replacing the loader. Recently my Fire HD mysteriously started using amazons default loader and over the xmas I didn't really have the time or need to replace it again. Was it a worse ux than nova launcher, of course. Could I get by if I could never replace it, sure.
    If a tablet was my main piece of technology, I might have opted for something more open but as long as my home PC and laptop run the OS I want, my little media device with a screen won't bother me too much. Not to say I wouldn't love a cheap linux tablet that worked well, maybe someday.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think you're overstating the issue for a lot of light users. I'm a huge linux fanboy but my tablet is for watching shows on the way to college and reading the occasional book. Maybe some light web browsing too. I'm not a fan of amazon's os but it is usable and the toolkit listed before in the thread allows for a lot more non root customisation including replacing the loader. Recently my Fire HD mysteriously started using amazons default loader and over the xmas I didn't really have the time or need to replace it again. Was it a worse ux than nova launcher, of course. Could I get by if I could never replace it, sure.
    If a tablet was my main piece of technology, I might have opted for something more open but as long as my home PC and laptop run the OS I want, my little media device with a screen won't bother me too much. Not to say I wouldn't love a cheap linux tablet that worked well, maybe someday.

sorry I meant that you need a laptop with linux on it to achieve the OS replace. it's not linux that goes on the tablet - it's a clean version of android.
    (I ran ubuntu from a usb key off a laptop to do it), . for some reason you can't do it from windows on a laptop directly. there were other complications also over what is normally messy enough in terms of these sort of things - so not recommended unless you can put a few hours into it and work things out from unclear posts on xda forums.

I take your point about light users but I just hate the amazon os on these tablets and so many things don't work correctly in terms of installing playstore apps and the original OS always manages to update itself even if ota updates are supposedly turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Missed this, assume we can expect this price in future sales?

Bump,the Fire 8 is reduced in Argos to €54.99
    Not much different from the Amazon price with the current exchange rate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement