Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

seligehgit wrote: »
    Decent highlights on Allianz League Sunday at 21.30.

RTE getting their act together re league coverage.A whole hour and 45 minutes.

Who's down to host it? Des Cahill or Joanne cantwell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd be holding off on praising them until we actually see what they come up with.

The big issue previously is that they would spend a huge chunk of time on the already broadcast games [ Mayo v Roscommon and Tipperary v Clare in the hurling from last night and Monaghan v Dublin and Wexford v Limerick in the hurling from today] instead of the other games that weren't broadcast.

I will not be a bit surprised if the 4 already broadcast games get more air-time than the other 27 intercounty games played this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd be holding off on praising them until we actually see what they come up with.

The big issue previously is that they would spend a huge chunk of time on the already broadcast games [ Mayo v Roscommon and Tipperary v Clare in the hurling from last night and Monaghan v Dublin and Wexford v Limerick in the hurling from today] instead of the other games that weren't broadcast.

I will not be a bit surprised if the 4 already broadcast games get more air-time than the other 27 intercounty games played this weekend.

You can guarantee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

RMAOK wrote: »

Joanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Joanne Cantwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Poor today by tyrone- very hard to know where they stand

clare pushed donegal all the way in D2

Cork football continues to fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Boom__Boom wrote: »

You might get some footage from the lower leagues on TG4 Monday 8 to 9 pm. Division One always got the lions share of coverage on Sunday night.

Live games have a lot of resources deployed and lend themselves to later highlights. I don't expect that there was a big array of cameras in Drogheda for Louth v Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The improved League Sunday show has been around a few years now.

Previously they just showed what Eir and TG4 showed now they show much more and have analysis

It's not far off the Sunday Game to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The dead wood (Joe Brolly) is still there i see.

• Advertisement

The dead wood (Joe Brolly) is still there i see.

Wait until Spillane and O'Rourke show up. ...

Joe Brolly very arrogant towards Joanne Cantwell during the Monaghan/Dublin analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Wait until Spillane and O'Rourke show up. ...

How colm cooper was retained this year. Terrible analyst.

physioman wrote: »
    How colm cooper was retained this year. Terrible analyst.

Great player,awful analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

Joanne Cantwell playing a blinder with Brolly. Fair play.

She's always been well able for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Consey wrote: »

Tbf to Brolly he makes a valid point. In the Dub Mon game today for the first black card, Dublin did pass the ball about for the first 5 minutes of the sin bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Brolly is annoying but Cantwell will have to relax her style. Not everything has to be argued! She's argued every point on the show with the hurling analysts earlier and the same with the football.
    No new coverage on the show either, all stuff that has been shown.

Think cantwell trying to be controversial just to get Michael lysters job. Never gone on her. Liked Brolly when he first was a pundit to give a northern perspective as opposed to spillane and o Rourke. Tiresome now.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Perifect wrote: »
    Brolly is annoying but Cantwell will have to relax her style. Not everything has to be argued! She's argued every point on the show with the hurling analysts earlier and the same with the football.

Agreed re Joanne, she's trying too hard, it's getting a bit annoying now.

Perifect wrote: »

Was the Cork Kilkenny match show today?

Agree with you wrt cantwell

• Advertisement

Think cantwell trying to be controversial just to get Michael lysters job. Never gone on her. Liked Brolly when he first was a pundit to give a northern perspective as opposed to spillane and o Rourke. Tiresome now.

She is not trying to get as you call it "Micheal Lyster's job,she already has it She was announced as the new presenter of Allianz League Sunday and The Sunday Game months ago.

First match out tonight.

She is not trying to get as you call it "Micheal Lyster's job,she already has it She was announced as the new presenter of Allianz League Sunday and The Sunday Game months ago.

Ok. Terrible appointment so.

Oh actually you're right, Cork Kilkenny was something different.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He is been arrogant, she is been rude.
    He has made some good points re the games.

Too rushed and a shame not to see the other football divisions.

yop wrote: »

I think he's right about O'Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

So it’s just The Sunday game -division 1 show now then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

So it’s just The Sunday game -division 1 show now then.

Yes and using mostly Eir sports or TG4 coverage.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Aidan O'Shea is the most overrated player in recent years regardless what position he plays.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Correct about the position. Only one place for him in the FF line. Too big a man to be trying to get around the pitch.

• Advertisement

Aidan O'Shea is the most overrated player in recent years regardless what position he plays.

I don't think Brolly was comparing him to the game's greats. He was fitting him in to his best position for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

Missed the earlier analysis, just saw the football and end of the hurling. It really is painful when you see Brolly appear. There'll be no analysis of the game, just a couple of irrelevant anecdotes and tangents.

At least JC kept him from indulging him too much. If the same was the case in the hurling, maybe she needs to ease off a little. At least the hurling analysts discuss what has been on.

In my view, of the current RTE presenters/analysts, Daragh Moloney is the best commentator, and he'd make a good presenter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I don't think Brolly was comparing him to the game's greats. He was fitting him in to his best position for Mayo.

His best position is full forward according to Brolly because he scored a few goals against Sligo who were woeful in defence for the Connacht final?

The strengths of Horan's team will be middle 8 dominance and AOS will play a big part in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Nonsense. He's one of the top 5 players of his generation. If mayo had another player of his standard they would have won at least 2 all Irelands. The rubbish that is put forward about that man just annoys the most normal supporters or other teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

The hurling coverage was pretty good, nice to see brief highlights of the Galway/Laois & Dublin/Carlow games which I didn't expect and a bit of chat about them too. But then every division below that was ignored as usual which is very wrong.

The football was poor, just the Div 1 games and barely a mention of anything else. The least they could do would be go through each result and comment a bit on every game. Instead Brolly was too busy going on about the rules all night & Cantwell just wanted to argue every point made. She overdid it a bit, trying too hard to prove herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Nonsense. He's one of the top 5 players of his generation. If mayo had another player of his standard they would have won at least 2 all Irelands. The rubbish that is put forward about that man just annoys the most normal supporters or other teams

He is a very good player who I like a lot but top 5 of his generation might be a stretch,is he even a top 5 player in this Mayo team? Boyle, Higgins, Keegan, Moran and O’Connor are arguably all more important to Mayo.

It's not like they won't show the other divisions, you just can't have cameras everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭cms88

yop wrote: »

imo Cantwell has always been like that. Always trying to be controversial and doesn't seem to want anyone to have a different view to hers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Missed the earlier analysis, just saw the football and end of the hurling. It really is painful when you see Brolly appear. There'll be no analysis of the game, just a couple of irrelevant anecdotes and tangents.

At least JC kept him from indulging him too much. If the same was the case in the hurling, maybe she needs to ease off a little. At least the hurling analysts discuss what has been on.

In my view, of the current RTE presenters/analysts, Daragh Moloney is the best commentator, and he'd make a good presenter too.

He has the Soccer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

cms88 wrote: »
    imo Cantwell has always been like that. Always trying to be controversial and doesn't seem to want anyone to have a different view to hers
    Not a patch on Joe Brolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As for Joanne Cantwell I've always found her a bit too quick to cut across and interrupt analysts when they are trying to make a point. Granted you could argue it stopped Brolly rambling on incessantly last night but she was doing the same to the hurling analysts. The host is there to prompt conversation and keep everything on track. If they are interrupting every 15 seconds it can lead to a fairly frustrating viewing experience. There was no flow to the conversation.

Hopefully, it's just while she's settling in. I've heard her on the radio previously so I doubt it but maybe someone will have a word. It's a hard job replacing Mick who knew how to keep control of Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Always thought Joanne was professional - i'd give her a chance to settle in to the job before judging, although I think Darragh Maloney is definitely the best commentator/host for the GAA - I saw on an earlier post that he is the main Soccer man but I though GAA was his first love?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

westcork67 wrote: »
    Always thought Joanne was professional - i'd give her a chance to settle in to the job before judging, although I think Darragh Maloney is definitely the best commentator/host for the GAA - I saw on an earlier post that he is the main Soccer man but I though GAA was his first love?

It may be but that does not mean that he gets to cover GAA on RTE.

My first love is sitting on my arse all day, but my employer doesn't allow me to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Thought Joanne was brilliant. Brolly's bull**** should not be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I had a look at the how much the show spent on the various Division 1 football games last night.
    [I didn't bother about the football games in the other divisions as I'd never have got through the huge volume of matches]

To my eye you could break the footage into 3 categories - match footage i.e actual footage of the game, post-match interviews and analysis (and by golly I'm being generous calling it analysis when it's just Brolly, Cooper and Cantwell having a chat of the same standard you'd have if you threw in three random people who are comfortable speaking in front of a camera - honestly if you had Ryan "sports mad" Tubridy and Miriam "8 million kids" O'Callaghan alongside Cantwell , I think the analysis would be of a similar standard)

Because I'm such a generous soul, I included all the shots of teams getiing off the team bus, players running in the dressing room corridors, players warming up on the pitch, going through the starting 15 teams, shots of the crowd, shots of managers, shots of players leaving the pitch and shots of management & subs leaving the dugouts when the match was over in the match footage section. This might not sound like much but over a minute was spent on Roscommon getting off the bus and the teams being named alone. It might not sound like much but as a comparison there was only 110 seconds of match footage from the Galway V Cavan game by my count.

All times are in seconds and might be rounded some bit especially in the analysis section (I basically split the 3 minutes spend on the Kerry Tyrone and Galway Cavan games down the middle)

Kerry v Tyrone
    Match footage 130
    Post-match interview 35
    Analysis 90
    Total 255

Galway v Cavan
    Match footage 110
    Post-match interview 25
    Analysis 90
    Total 225

Dublin v Monaghan
    Match footage 360
    Post-match interview 20
    Analysis 310
    Total 690

Mayo v Roscommon
    Match footage 330
    Post-match interview 50
    Analysis 240
    Total 620

Overall it was not far off being a 50/50 split in terms of match-footage (930 seconds) versus post-match interviews and analysis (860 seconds).

In terms of actual match footage, there was 11 and a half minutes of from the 2 games broadcast elsewhere [Mayo v Roscommon & Monaghan v Dublin] versus 4 minutes of match footage from the two matches not broadcast anywhere else [Galway v Cavan & Kerry v Tyrone] Why even bother send cameras to the other games if you only going to show snippets, especially when you are spending so much more time on games already broadcast elsewhere?

The post-match interviews were a complete and utter waste of everybody's time imo and the analysis was not much better.

Honestly I'm not surprised by RTE - everything I've ever seen from them, seems to reek of a place where it's completely acceptable to do the utter bare minimum. I'm more disappointed that the GAA and Croke Park aren't doing more in terms of forcing RTE to do a better job. Overall the highlights show had around 30 minutes of football coverage and almost 22 minutes of that was spent on 2 matches that were broadcast on other channels already.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Why don't they do separate hurling and football shows? It's not really worth watching if you looked at the live games beforehand.

Highlights on TG4 now, kicking off with Kildare Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Interesting game on saturday Meath v Donegal.
    One stat that mite be good for Meath. In last two years Meath have got results against best teams in the division.
    In 2017 Galway won division 2 title, were the best team in divsion 2 , Meath defeated them.
    In 2018 Roscommon won division 2 title , were best team in divsion 2 , Meath drew with them.
    Will this be the third year in a row Meath get result against best team in the division.

There is no way Meath are favourites on Sunday. Donegal will be strong favourites and desevedly so. Every pundit, every tipster, every newpaper or social media outlet prediction will be tipping Donegal to win.

Donegal are one of the best teams in the country. They are a division 1. I know they r in div 2 but that will be temporary. Donegal r in the top 5 or 6 teams in the country and r the reigning Ulster champions. They have the best young team in the country at the moment. With also a good few players who have multiple Ulster titles and All Ireland medal. They have been the Ulster county / team of the decade.

This Donegal team in the next few year will be All-Ireland contenders and in 2 , 3 to 4 years this Donegal team I believe will be All-Ireland champions. They will definitely be in All Ireland final in 2 to 3 years. Michael Muiritigh was asked last week who was the team with most talent after Dublin who could beat Dubs next year he said Donegal.

Yes Donegal are building and yes they r missing two great players and Gweedore players but after Dublin the team with the best panel in the country is Donegal. I hear ex players and journalists continuing to refer to Donegal having a great panel and only Dublin have better. Look at Donegal players v Clare in forwards. Ban Gallagher Thompson and Langan are top class forwards who would walk onto to any team in the country.

Finally Ballybofey is one of the toughest places to win in the country. When Tyrone beat Donegal last year, it ended 21 match unbeaten run in Ballybofey for Donegal. It was Donegals first loss since 2010 in Ballybofey. After Dublin in Croke Park the toughest place to go in the country is Donegal in Ballybofey. Look at these stats. Meath have a big mountain to climb to beat Donegal. The following Armagh and Cork games are the big ones for Meath. Two victories in those game wud be achieveable and important. Beating Donegal wud be a bonus, but also a big upset.

1 Donegal have lost 1 match in Ballybofey in league or championship since 2010.
    2 Since 2010 Donegal have played 21 times in league and championship in Ballybofey. Donegal have had 15 victories, 5 draws and 1 loss in 21 games in Ballybofey.
    3 So in summary Donegal have been unbeaten in 20 of their last 21 games in Ballybofey
    4 Even Dublin in this decade couldnt beat Donegal in Ballybofey. Dublin drew with Donegal twice in the league in Ballybofey.
    5 Donegal have not been beaten in the league in Ballybofey since 2010. Dublin Tyrone Mayo kerry have all failed to beat Donegal in Ballybofey since 2010 in the league. Donegal are unbeaten in the league in their last 13 games in Ballybofey. That is after Dublin the best record in the country.
    6 On average between 2012 and 2018 fifty seven per cent of home teams win their home matchs each league campaign in div 1. So excluding the last round of league games last year in the previous 6 rounds of the league in div 1 teams 12 home teams won games and 10 away teams won games and u had 1 draw. Thats 56% sucess rate for home teams. And as I said the average sucess rate for home teams in div 1 in the league is 57% . Donegal home record is on a different level. The only team comparable in league football is Dublin in Croker.

Meath have shown when they play the Tyrones Donegals Roscommon Galways they up their game and play well and even get results. ( Meath got results v Galway Roscommon and lost by a 1 point to Donegal and Tyrone in last 2 years ). Meath do play well v division 1 top teams, so I do expect Meath to put it up to Donegal on Saturday and result is not impossible for Meath . Donegal v Meath games are always tight close games. Last game, 2 years ago Donegal won by a point. In 2014 Meath drew with Donegal in Ballybofey.

But the fact is Donegal even with their players missing r one of the best teams in the country and Ballybofey is a fortress for Donegal. They are very very rarely defeated in Ballybofey. A Meath victory wud be a massive result. But Donegal are strong favourites and desevedly so. I believe Donegal will be All-Ireland champions in 2022 or 2023. Watch out for them, they r definatly one of the most exciting team out there after Dublin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement