Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amenity placed outside house by neighbours

Options
  • 19-04-2019 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Just adding a query here as I'm hoping someone here has more knowledge than me.

I live in lovely estate with a lot of space and green areas. Neighbours are good there is no anti social activity or issues of any kind. Pretty much an idyllic space. The estate was recently taken in by the local county council.

Last year our next door neighbours placed a mobile basketball hoop about 4 metres directly in front of our drive in a car turning area. We are the second house from the end of a cul-de-sac in the estate and the turn about is perfect for basketball as when you couple it with the very low traffic volumes and the area of the road itself, it makes an area the size of half a court.

The neighbours who've place it out there honestly believe they've put out something good for the community and a great ammenity for the children of the estate. Most of the other neighbours in the estate are probably of the same opinion.

Whilst I'm happy to see the kids out playing here (we also have a very large football pitch sized green), it does mean that just outside our house has become the congregation area for the estates children and the basketball hoop has started drawing in kids from other estates. When it's not raining, there could be 5-15 children there on rotation for most of the day. Small kids from the afternoon and teenagers until after dark.

We have difficulty pulling our cars out, children are contstantly chasing balls that bounce in amongst our cars and more importantly the noise from numerous basketballs makes it impossible to use our front rooms most of the day. We literally can't watch TV.

We raised it with our neighbours a few months ago when the weather was bad and tried to see if we could meet half way. Bring out the hoop a few hours a day or maybe one day a week. They said they'd come back to us but have now plonked it out in the bay again.

We're not sure what to do as it's making the house unlivable in but at the same time, I know most of the neighbours in the estate think it's great because they don't have to deal with all of the noise outside their house for hours every day. Just to clarify, I have no issue with kids playing and know they will be noisey. I love life in the estate but all the activity congregated in one small area due to an amenity placed by a neighbour isn't fair.

We don't want to fall out with anyone and don't know what to do. Our neighbours have already said they don't want to place it anywhere else in estate or rotate it to different parking areas for 'insurance reasons'. They want it where they can see it.

Is there anything the council can do here or anything? We could go to the residents' association but we know all their kids enjoy it so there will definitely be bias.

Apologies for being long winded. If I've added to wrong forum, please can a Mod move? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

mrmanire wrote: »

I live in lovely estate with a lot of space and green areas. Neighbours are good there is no anti social activity or issues of any kind. Pretty much an idyllic space. The estate was recently taken in by the local county council.

Last year our next door neighbours placed a mobile basketball hoop about 4 metres directly in front of our drive in a car turning area. We are the second house from the end of a cul-de-sac in the estate and the turn about is perfect for basketball as when you couple it with the very low traffic volumes and the area of the road itself, it makes an area the size of half a court.

The neighbours who've place it out there honestly believe they've put out something good for the community and a great ammenity for the children of the estate. Most of the other neighbours in the estate are probably of the same opinion.

Whilst I'm happy to see the kids out playing here (we also have a very large football pitch sized green), it does mean that just outside our house has become the congregation area for the estates children and the basketball hoop has started drawing in kids from other estates. When it's not raining, there could be 5-15 children there on rotation for most of the day. Small kids from the afternoon and teenagers until after dark.

We have difficulty pulling our cars out, children are contstantly chasing balls that bounce in amongst our cars and more importantly the noise from numerous basketballs makes it impossible to use our front rooms most of the day. We literally can't watch TV.

We raised it with our neighbours a few months ago when the weather was bad and tried to see if we could meet half way. Bring out the hoop a few hours a day or maybe one day a week. They said they'd come back to us but have now plonked it out in the bay again.

We're not sure what to do as it's making the house unlivable in but at the same time, I know most of the neighbours in the estate think it's great because they don't have to deal with all of the noise outside their house for hours every day. Just to clarify, I have no issue with kids playing and know they will be noisey. I love life in the estate but all the activity congregated in one small area due to an amenity placed by a neighbour isn't fair.

We don't want to fall out with anyone and don't know what to do. Our neighbours have already said they don't want to place it anywhere else in estate or rotate it to different parking areas for 'insurance reasons'. They want it where they can see it.

Is there anything the council can do here or anything? We could go to the residents' association but we know all their kids enjoy it so there will definitely be bias.

Apologies for being long winded. If I've added to wrong forum, please can a Mod move? Any advice greatly appreciated.

No way would I tolerate this. Why should you have to put up with that noise and disturbance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Inform your neighbour of the amount they'll have to pay out if anyone even scratches themselves on it. There's a reason why play grounds are extremely rare in private estates.

That way you are not the annoying neighbour complaining about the basketball net but the helpful neighbour keeping them safe from the solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ya that would drive most people nuts, as you said, most of the neighbours are happy, as long as it’s not outside their door.

Maybe tell your neighbour, if a child hurts themselves as a result of that hoop, they could face a claim. It’s probably a long shot, but if they think they could be held liable, it’ll be in their back yard quicker than you can say “negligence payout”.

Edit: I see Dell got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mrmanire wrote: »

that would drive me mental - well intentioned as it is. We have a turning area in front of our house - I'd have to draw the line at a neighbour erecting goals or a basketball hoop out there. It's just not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe just move it onto the green?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Maybe just move it onto the green?

basketball needs a hard surface really

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Inform your neighbour of the amount they'll have to pay out if anyone even scratches themselves on it. There's a reason why play grounds are extremely rare in private estates.

That way you are not the annoying neighbour complaining about the basketball net but the helpful neighbour keeping them safe from the solicitors.
    Planning means all new estates need playgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ted1 wrote: »

And insurance means no one's allowed to use ''em.

OP do you have a management company?

And insurance means no one's allowed to use ''em.

that's not at all true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If the council has taken the estate in charge then the road is public and they've placed an obstruction on it? Can't be legal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

If that was me it would be gone missing in the middle of the night or anytime it's put outside my house it would be put on the owners doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ted1 wrote: »

Who pays the insurance? Because nearly all new estates are now private it is easy for a council to say that they have to have a play ground, but will the council or the residents have to pay the insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Look, it's probably hard to do, but just call around to them again. Say what's the story with the basketball net, its driving me insane, thought we agreed it wouldn't be left out all the time. I know the kids love it, but the noise means I can't watch tv, am constantly looking out for kids when parking.

Wouldn't bother mentioning insurance.

You need to agree times that it will be out, I. E. When their kids are playing,. Anytime its left out call over to them, ask what's the story, this isn't what we agreed.

If you really want you could buy a football net, stick it in the green, to placate the kids.

You are not in the wrong here. Make yourself a nuisance, if you start letting it slide, it will continue

Who pays the insurance? Because nearly all new estates are now private it is easy for a council to say that they have to have a play ground, but will the council or the residents have to pay the insurance?

this isn't true either - well for Fingal at least - planning permission is not being granted for private estates behind gates. New estates are mixed tenure/purpose and are being taken in by the council.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Speaking of insurance claims, can the kids access your garden? If so, I'd look at putting a gate or something in to stop it. All you need is little Jimmy from down the road falling in your drive when he comes in to get the basket ball, and next thing you know the parents are putting in a claim against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Might be worth a chat with a local councillor about getting a hoop and suitable surface installed on the green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Might be worth a chat with a local councillor about getting a hoop and suitable surface installed on the green.

Where thr fk do you live that stuff could get done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

declan2693 wrote: »

Local elections coming up. Time for a chat with the next one that knocks on the door. Usually pretty good at acting on things when they want your vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

declan2693 wrote: »

Local elections coming up..... these kind of things can get done overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Adults: "Kids these days don't go outside and play anymore, they're stuck on their phones or watching TV or in bed"
    Same adults: "I don't want anyone playing near my house!"

I get the frustration but really, how often are they going to be there? I notice it in my estate that the groups of kids go through phases of hanging out in one spot and them seem to migrate to another a week later. Not to mention they do spend most of the day in school most of the year.
    There is often kids outside my gate who use a sloped footpath to ride down on bikes or skateboards. You have to pay close attention to make sure one of them doesn't forget or panic and run or fall out in front of you, but, it takes like an extra 6 seconds to drive past.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your view) the novelty of the basketball hoop will likely wear off after a while.

P.S., If you buy them a basketball and ask them to please mind your car, you'd be surprised how it might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Reverse into your driveway. Problem solved in terms of danger when you're leaving the house. Pull down the blinds when you're watching TV.

There's fvck all you can do here except get a reputation as the crotchety old killjoy. Even if the neighbour was to bring it in at night and out in the morning, they'll do that every day all summer.

You could also move the hoop and park your car in the turning circle. Very passive aggressive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

upinsmoke wrote: »
    If that was me it would be gone missing in the middle of the night or anytime it's put outside my house it would be put on the owners doorstep.

I was going to say the same. No way I would tolerate this, I would move the hoop to the end of their driveway, and move it again anytime it was pushed back.

You are entitled to the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The mgmt company does. The same way to cover insurance for other public areas.

As Ireland moves towards families living in apartments the councils realised that they needed to ensure there was amenities for young residents to play

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/design_standards_for_new_apartments_-_guidelines_for_planning_authorities_2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's an insurance problem waiting to happen. Either child gets hurt or Injured / hit by a car / broken window etc etc

And from what you say the area is residential- not an open space so would most likley constitute a nuisance with regard to the council etc

Skip the neighbour. Detail problem to management committee. As soon as they see the word insurance - it will be dealt with.

AulWan wrote: »
    I was going to say the same. No way I would tolerate this, I would move the hoop to the end of their driveway, and move it again anytime it was pushed back.

You are entitled to the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home.

That entitlement doesn't extend to inhibiting how your neighbours live their lives or use public spaces and breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You say that they put it in front of your drive even though they live next door. Would it make a different to your comfort if they put it in front of theirs? Or would it be largely the same? Realistically this is what you can expect to happen if you keep raising it with them. It's not fair but looks like you're outvoted and moving it around the turning space is all you can achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

That entitlement doesn't extend to inhibiting how your neighbours live their lives or use public spaces and breaking the law.

Yet their actions are inhibiting how the OP lives his/her life? The OP states they can't use their front room or watch TV during the day because of the noise. That's simply not on.

The neighbours have absolutely no right to plonk a basketball hoop outside that causes constant disturbance to the OP. Where do people get off thinking they can do stuff like this.

Suit them better to get of their lazy asses and take their kids off out to somewhere there is a basketball court, if they want to play basketball, instead of annoying and inconveniencing their neighbour.

OP, I'd ask for a copy of their insurance policy for the hoop that covers your car against damage, as you say it keeps getting banged with basketballs. Basketballs are heavy and could cause quite a dent.

Yet their actions are inhibiting how the OP lives his/her life? The OP states they can't use their front room or watch TV during the day because of the noise. That's simply not on.

The neighbours have absolutely no right to plonk a basketball hoop outside that causes constant disturbance to the OP. Where do people get off thinking they can do stuff like this.

Suit them better to get of their lazy asses and take their kids off out to somewhere there is a basketball court, if they want to play basketball, instead of annoying and inconveniencing their neighbour.

OP, I'd ask for a copy of their insurance policy for the hoop that covers your car against damage, as you say it keeps getting banged with basketballs. Basketballs are heavy and could cause quite a dent.

This is getting insane.

Every other day of the week we have threads about how ridiculous the compo culture is in this country and on this thread we seem to have most people in favour of invoking insurance issues why kids cannot play as kids should.

I'm not living where the OP is so I cannot say the extent to which this is a disturbance, but, not being able to use a room during the day because kids are playing outside sounds more of a choice than a serious problem.

My neighbour cuts the lawn and while he is doing that, I cannot sit outside chatting to someone on the phone. Should I steel his lawnmower or tell him that the decibel level is too loud and he needs to provide ear defenders for everyone in the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jesus, these threads really bring out the miserable killjoys. Let's say the neighbours take away the basketball hoop and the kids just decide to play football outside his house all day every day instead, what's he going to do then? Complain about that too? On what basis?

"Where do people get off thinking they can do something like this?" Honest to god :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Jesus, these threads really bring out the miserable killjoys. Let's say the neighbours take away the basketball hoop and the kids just decide to play football outside his house all day every day instead, what's he going to do then? Complain about that too? On what basis?

"Where do people get off thinking they can do something like this?" Honest to god :rolleyes:

If they are playing football they'll be on the green! :D

Advertisement