Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Amazing to hear Star columnist Eamon Dunphy referred to Cathal Dervan dismissedly as a tabloid journalist on the Delaney pod.

You can’t be taking him seriously.

Does it count as being a tabloid journalist if your column is ghost written? He admitted on Second Captains that his column is the first thing he reads every Monday to check what they've written for him.

Sick of the pro and anti Brexit voices too at this stage. Never thought I'd view Bertie as a breath of fresh air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Still Ill wrote: »
    Does it count as being a tabloid journalist if your column is ghost written? He admitted on Second Captains that his column is the first thing he reads every Monday to check what they've written for him.

Sick of the pro and anti Brexit voices too at this stage. Never thought I'd view Bertie as a breath of fresh air!

Wouldn’t it be more of a reason not to take him seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Amazing to hear Star columnist Eamon Dunphy referred to Cathal Dervan dismissedly as a tabloid journalist on the Delaney pod.

You can’t be taking him seriously.

He seems to have a particular issue with Cathal Dervan - referring to him as a "hack".

Though I do wonder about the morals of these types who go from journalism into PR. It's a very common feature of the Irish media landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Arghus wrote: »
    He seems to have a particular issue with Cathal Dervan - referring to him as a "hack".

Though I do wonder about the morals of these types who go from journalism into PR. It's a very common feature of the Irish media landscape.

I think a lot of people have a problem with Dervan. I know Keane had a major problem with him too. Just look at some of the articles he's written.

They went to court in the 90s afaik. Google for more details.

• Advertisement

But dismissing him as a tabloid journalist is just Dunphy 100%. The mans being on the books of the star for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

But dismissing him as a tabloid journalist is just Dunphy 100%. The mans being on the books of the star for 30 years.

I remember a podcast with Nicola Tallent (sp?) a good while back where Dunphy specifically praised the tabloids for their crime coverage. So I'm not sure if he'd use tabloid as a strict negative...

dulpit wrote: »
    I remember a podcast with Nicola Tallent (sp?) a good while back where Dunphy specifically praised the tabloids for their crime coverage. So I'm not sure if he'd use tabloid as a strict negative...

Yes he is a bastion of consistentcy as we’ve seen with his flip flopping on Delaney.

Sure Dunphy flip flops all over the place. His opinion on anything is entirely dependent on whatever guest he is talking to at the time.

If the guest on his show is good, then the show will be good. But if he has someone bad on, then the show will be bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I used to listen to every episode but now I skip most of them as it's the same people talking about the same thing. He needs to find some different guests and cover some different topics. It's gotten very stale at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Brendan O Neill a useless guest who is unable to answer any question asked, but he never gets pressed, either by Eamonn or Mick. Is this because they depend on these 4 or 5 guests and don't want to show them up?

The podcast medium is great compared to normal radio but I think this is an issue. A podcaster will never really slate his own guest in the style of Matt Cooper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I used to listen to every episode but now I skip most of them as it's the same people talking about the same thing. He needs to find some different guests and cover some different topics. It's gotten very stale at this stage.

The only two people he ever seems have on about Brexit is Verona Murphy and Brendan O'Neill.

Dunphy was like this with his radio show as well. Always relied on the same guests every week. Needs to broaden his guest list. Just feels a bit lazy.

The only two people he ever seems have on about Brexit is Verona Murphy and Brendan O'Neill.

Dunphy was like this with his radio show as well. Always relied on the same guests every week. Needs to broaden his guest list. Just feels a bit lazy.

I don't mind regular guests when the topic changes (e.g. Giles/Brady on the soccerball, Niall Stanage on whatever is going on the US), but the Brexit chats have been very samey for the last few months at this point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

in fairness there's nothing new to talk about with Brexit, it's been the same story now for months if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

That brexit lad is getting boring now at this stage. Same ****e out of him every podcast. Out out out and any Remainers should be taken out and shot. He doesnt seem to be able to grasp the idea that some ppl didnt vote the way he did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

Lara Marlowe voted for Hilary Clinton and is a Macron supporter and enjoyed the architecture of Notre Dame Cathedral as she drank her coffee from a nearby café.

Fascinating.

The Irish Times knows how to pick'em.

Lara Marlowe voted for Hilary Clinton and is a Macron supporter and enjoyed the architecture of Notre Dame Cathedral as she drank her coffee from a nearby café.

Fascinating.

The Irish Times knows how to pick'em.

I don't understand the thrust of your point?

I don't understand the thrust of your point?

He's glibly dismissing Lara Marlowe - without really engaging with what she has to say about things - because she ticks a lot of boxes for him, on the surface, that mark her out as representative of the typical Irish Times foreign correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

the Brexit chats have been very samey for the last few months at this point.

Isn't that the same with all media???
    Brexit is very boring at this stage.

Brexit boy is back. Listened to about 5 minutes of the same repetitive crap before giving up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The stand does seem to have a lack of diversity of topics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

He's glibly dismissing Lara Marlowe - without really engaging with what she has to say about things - because she ticks a lot of boxes for him, on the surface, that mark her out as representative of the typical Irish Times foreign correspondent.

He hit the nail on the head.

You have reaffirmed your sense of importance.

I look forward to your next contribution. I expect it will be informative and objective, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Diversity of contributors for sure. Same 2 or 3 people on about Brexit all the time.

riemann wrote: »
    He hit the nail on the head.

You have reaffirmed your sense of importance.

I look forward to your next contribution. I expect it will be informative and objective, as always.

Thank you bro!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Did anyone listen to the latest podcast with Nicola Tallant about the Drogheda feud?

Eamon mentioned that he has an old photo of himself standing alongside Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch and a 10-year old Wesley Hoolahan :D:D:D

Did anyone listen to the latest podcast with Nicola Tallant about the Drogheda feud?

Eamon mentioned that he has an old photo of himself standing alongside Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch and a 10-year old Wesley Hoolahan :D:D:D

probably waived his appearance fee for a bag of blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Haven't listened to this episode yet. But if it's anything like the Bobby Ryan one from the week before it will be ill prepared, jesus she must have done feck all reserch on it as she got basic facts wrong

was listening to that and she was going on about the Gardai not having the resources to do surveillance and following the gang members around. Surely we have members of the Army who are trained in that kind of stuff that could help the gardai out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Just listened back to the podcast on Climate Change from last week - would really recommend this for anyone who hasn't listened to it already. Although it showcases some of Eamos most annoying traits (bumbling along, interjecting the contributor with tangential questions/observations), I really think it is essential listening. The guest, John Gibbons, is a brilliant knowledgeable journalist, who presents the (frightening) facts in a clear, succinct manner.

Advertisement