Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anybody hoping that Eamon would address the Delaney issue will be disappointed - not even a mention. With about 10 minutes to go he said they were now turning their attention to a very big event in soccer so I presumed that was the cue but they instead started talking about Solskjaer being appointed permanent manager.

In fact there was no mention at all of the national side so maybe there'll be another episode on the opening two games where they'll then discuss Delaney / FAI.

so did I coz he said "john" thinking he was then going to say delaney but was talking to john giles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

New episode just appeared on phone - "John Delaney, uncut". Has Mark Tighe from Sunday Times who broke the stories about Delaney, so that'll be interesting listening at lunch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Serious laugh out loud moment when Eamo Jokes "it's desperately needed for my reputation that we kill John Delaney on this podcast" haha

Serious laugh out loud moment when Eamo Jokes "it's desperately needed for my reputation that we kill John Delaney on this podcast" haha

Just walking back to office and was in lift when he said that. I lol'd. The DHL delivery guy in lift was giving me weird looks. Awkwardly enough he was coming to our office. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

dulpit wrote: »
    Just walking back to office and was in lift when he said that. I lol'd. The DHL delivery guy in lift was giving me weird looks. Awkwardly enough he was coming to our office. :o

It's safe to say Eamo is off team Delaney!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

He must be a boardsie! Hi Eamonn!

anyone know what the reference to the New York times and an Irish person was about? Was 2 minutes from the end they were talking about libel laws

neris wrote: »
    anyone know what the reference to the New York times and an Irish person was about? Was 2 minutes from the end they were talking about libel laws

Pretty sure any comments will get shut down here. Safe to say a quick google should make it obvious what it's about...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

neris wrote: »

It's not hard to find out! Think of a globally famous Irish sportsman.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

In fairness that was a good podcast on Delaney.

I was about to give up on The Stand, it was getting too chummy. The silence was deafening on the FAI and although Eamon was getting over surgery he still took the time out to blindly defend Delaney (on other media sources) when the story first broke. He and others went immediately on message defending Delaney.

That's why I like podcasts and listen to them more often than radio these days. There's no hiding place for the presenter. You've got to deliver what you promise the listener and if you don't you'll be quickly found out and dropped. Game over that punter.

Maybe Eamon's producers explained this to him whilst he was recuperating. Podcasts are a different animal- there's no hiding behind Marian Finucane's skirt giggling or faux cursing the restrictions on reporting in INM.

Hopefully Eamon can inquire deeper into Brendan O'Neill's claims and accusations (re Brexit) when he's next on.

humberklog wrote: »
    In fairness that was a good podcast on Delaney.

I was about to give up on The Stand, it was getting too chummy. The silence was deafening on the FAI and although Eamon was getting over surgery he still took the time out to blindly defend Delaney (on other media sources) when the story first broke. He and others went immediately on message defending Delaney.

That's why I like podcasts and listen to them more often than radio these days. There's no hiding place for the presenter. You've got to deliver what you promise the listener and if you don't you'll be quickly found out and dropped. Game over that punter.

Maybe Eamon's producers explained this to him whilst he was recuperating. Podcasts are a different animal- there's no hiding behind Marian Finucane's skirt giggling or faux cursing the restrictions on reporting in INM.

Hopefully Eamon can inquire deeper into Brendan O'Neill's claims and accusations (re Brexit) when he's next on.

Agree that his Delaney podcast was very good. Pity he followed it up with the podcast with Bertie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Agree that his Delaney podcast was very good. Pity he followed it up with the podcast with Bertie :rolleyes:

I actually enjoyed the podcast with Bertie. He had a lot of faults and you can say what you wan't about him, but he (amongst others) made a lot of progress in bringing peace to the North on this island, peace that could potentially be threatened if Brexit goes very badly with the introduction of borders etc. And I say that as someone who has never voted FF.

I actually enjoyed the podcast with Bertie. He had a lot of faults and you can say what you wan't about him, but he (amongst others) made a lot of progress in bringing peace to the North on this island, peace that could potentially be threatened if Brexit goes very badly with the introduction of borders etc. And I say that as someone who has never voted FF.

I didn't mind Bertie's points, by Dunphy was back to his usual fawning all over his guest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He should be in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

He should be in prison.

I'm not here to defend Bertie's record in office, there's plenty others around the country who do that blindly. Like I said I've never voted FF in my life.

All I'm saying is that on the subject of the North and our relationship with UK, he's someone who's thoughts I'd at least listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dunphy has Bertie down as a good skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Enjoyed the Delaney podcast

It’s odd. Eamo was almost pro Delaney on RTÉ Marian finucane show a few weeks ago when this first broke. Now he seems to have “fallen into line” and is sceptical to say the least of Delaney.

Enjoyed the Delaney podcast

It’s odd. Eamo was almost pro Delaney on RTÉ Marian finucane show a few weeks ago when this first broke. Now he seems to have “fallen into line” and is sceptical to say the least of Delaney.

To be fair, I don't think Dunphy was very anti-Delaney himself in the pod, but he let the conversation flow with the 2 journos very well.

To be fair, I don't think Dunphy was very anti-Delaney himself in the pod, but he let the conversation flow with the 2 journos very well.

He was quite pro Delaney on RTÉ though. I wonder has he sensed where this is going so did a u turn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Monoke

He should be in prison.

For breaking which laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Bertie was a great guest, a wealth of information, I would like to hear him on the show more often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Agree that you'd be hard pressed to find a guest more knowledgeable and experienced in politics to speak about Brexit. Really made for an interesting podcast. Eamon can really be over the top in his praise though. Completely whitewashing over the mess he left the country in and his dodgy dealings. Obviously I don't expect him to mention these things explicitly, but he could tone it down a bit with the eulogies.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Agree that you'd be hard pressed to find a guest more knowledgeable and experienced in politics to speak about Brexit. Really made for an interesting podcast. Eamon can really be over the top in his praise though. Completely whitewashing over the mess he left the country in and his dodgy dealings. Obviously I don't expect him to mention these things explicitly, but he could tone it down a bit with the eulogies.

Eamo soft soaps all the guests and he was the same when he had his radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, it's a pity someone who's been so gobby over the years turns into a pussycat when face to face with someone. He was the same with the Second Captains guys when he went on their show after being critical of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

An embarrassment of a man.

At best an idiot, at worst an extremely devious liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭jaykay74

When Brendan o Neill is on with Dunphy you are as well off listening to any old episode with both of them. All repetition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Bertie podcast and the Delaney podcast were both good

He is overusing Verona Murphy from the Road Hauliers. It's gotten so familiar it's "your listeners know me and Minister Ross", she feels she doesn't have to explain anymore. We do know, she says it every single podcast

I'd love him to ask about driver training standards considering Amiens St railbridge gets whacked every month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Amazing to hear Star columnist Eamon Dunphy referred to Cathal Dervan dismissedly as a tabloid journalist on the Delaney pod.

You can’t be taking him seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

jaykay74 wrote: »
    When Brendan o Neill is on with Dunphy you are as well off listening to any old episode with both of them. All repetition.

17.4 million.... Largest democratic vote in history.... Shackled to the EU... Yawn.

Advertisement