Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My brother has a 2.0 turbo Mk5 Gojd estate, a cracking car. I’d say a Golf estate would be a better car than a Leon (if you could find one that’s not a 1.6 Tdi Trendline)

See getting a 2.0 that isn’t 150ps in the Golf is the problem. I want something a little quicker.
    Plus you pay Golf tax so less car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had potenzas on my car when it was new and had no issues with them. Very good tyres. Lasted 42k km too!!! My car is not super fast, but it's still a thing that is able to pick up speed. No issues with wheel spin, unless in pure wet conditions and I did it on purpose, great handling and stopping power in wet etc. Have no complains.
    I am on Eagle F1s now and honestly **** all difference. Maybe just a bit more road noise.

I had potenzas on my Volvo but I didn't tend to go over 3k rpm so wheelspin wasn't an issue!

3-D58-ED2-C-AC1-E-415-A-A7-AE-AF17-BF5-A75-AF.jpg

A new twist on illegal plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hilarious one today. Local house is being done up and the garden contractor has cones off a yellow box at a fairly main junction in Dublin to park their vehicles. Donnybrook garda station’s response: “i’ll Send around a car but you never know their planning permission might allow them to do it”.

Seriously, planning permission might allow a yellow box junction (existing for safety and traffic flow) to be coned off by a private individual! Seriously, is there any legal (or common sense) training in Templemore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Hi all,

Just an update on a post I started selling my 2011 Focus.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997774

I had several views arranged. The first person to view it bought it.
    It sold today and was collected today for 6500 euro!

Thanks for all the advice and otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Looking at a 2015 car. It has 74000 miles. It's a UK import. MOT is out since the end of May. But it's last MOT in May 18 it had 65000 miles. 1 owner company car. Thoughts? I'll go and look at it and see anyway!

So it's done about 22000 miles for the first 3 years and about 10000 this past year....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any service history from here and the UK? How long is it in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

Long time lurker here :)

I am about to import a brand new Berlingo commercial from NI. I tried to source it locally (Partner was my first preferrence, then Berlingo), but all the main dealers I went to in Dublin said there is none available in the trim, colour and version I need, and it has to be factory order, with delivery in November.

I can get one through Charles Hurst in Belfast, delivered to Dublin in 2 weeks. I am aware there are VAT implications etc.

The manufacturer's warranty is fully transferrable. Will I be getting cold shoulder and be the last in the queque, if warranty repairs were to be carried out through Irish dealership? Has anyone experience with UK imports being repaired under warranty by Irish dealers?

Thanks Folks

bazz26 wrote: »

It's in the north, still on UK plates. He says it has a full Audi service history. Can see from the reg plate surrounds it's from the jardine motor group. I'll run a motorcheck report on it and check all the service history when I see the car.

• Advertisement

If it's an Audi with main dealer history then the service history is probably digital or online rather than stamps in a book. You could try ringing Audi UK with the UK reg to verify what was done at what mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was just thinking back to a couple of months ago and I'm raging I never took a picture. The car was not running right like the brakes were binding on the front drivers side (which they were), got home and got out and the disc was red(glowing). Next day I cleaned the slide pins. And disc never warped which I'm amazed as I have been driving it since then without issue but yea I really should have took a picture. As it was as if someone heated it up with a forge or a large blow torch.

homik wrote: »
    Long time lurker here :)

I am about to import a brand new Berlingo commercial from NI. I tried to source it locally (Partner was my first preferrence, then Berlingo), but all the main dealers I went to in Dublin said there is none available in the trim, colour and version I need, and it has to be factory order, with delivery in November.

I can get one through Charles Hurst in Belfast, delivered to Dublin in 2 weeks. I am aware there are VAT implications etc.

The manufacturer's warranty is fully transferrable. Will I be getting cold shoulder and be the last in the queque, if warranty repairs were to be carried out through Irish dealership? Has anyone experience with UK imports being repaired under warranty by Irish dealers?

Thanks Folks

It will probably depend on the dealer. In theory they shouldn't have any problems doing warranty work if it has been approved by the manufacturer but in reality they may put you at the bottom of their priority list below their regular customers as you didn't buy from them.

So just make sure that the warranty is good in the Republic.

bazz26 wrote: »

Just back on that again. I see the tax has been out since last August. Something not sitting right with it. Only 10k miles in the past year and only taxed for a couple of months. It was parked up, crashed or something I'm thinking. Best let it pass!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What in the name of jaysis am I going to do with the old e46 325ci when I get something else? Anyone want it? The BBS wheels are probably the only thing of value on it. I'd be sad to see it in the crusher, but I reckon that's where it'll end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

What in the name of jaysis am I going to do with the old e46 325ci when I get something else? Anyone want it? The BBS wheels are probably the only thing of value on it. I'd be sad to see it in the crusher, but I reckon that's where it'll end up.

Are you near Mondello?
    Would it be any use as a track car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Have you been looking at the post a picture of your vehicle thread?

You could PM ba_barabus and see if he's interested:pac:?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Some Polish lad would probably buy it off you.
    My old 00 A3 is pootling around Poland somewhere, still going strong with about 300,000 miles on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Have you been looking at the post a picture of your vehicle thread?

You could PM ba_barabus and see if he's interested:pac:?

To be fair, you should. Yours appears to be the most minded e46 in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

What's the offset of those wheels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well Hawrse. The Focus went in for it's first service under my watch this morning - oil and filters, €100. That was alright I thought, oil is expensive for those things.

I had the use of a 132 red Skoda Rapid saloon for the morning. Nice car, 1.6l diesel at 105BHP. It was a bit revvier than the Ford and needed a little bit of hoofing to get good out of it, but a nice machine.

It's funny though, when you go from a car that doesn't annoy you at all, to something else for a few hours and you notice things. Like the driver's seat-belt buckle that falls down near the floor when the belt is at-rest, meaning you can't reach the bloody thing when you go to put it on again. Like the radio that always comes on at low volume when the car restarts, regardless of what way you left it. My brother had a 161 Audi A6 on hire last Christmas that did that, he was fit to buy a gun after three days. The information screen in the instrument binnacle which, rather than showing several pieces of pertinent, useful information, spent the morning either whining over some blasted iPhone or other, or pointing out to me that I had gone over 30mph. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anyone here use a magnet phone holder ? Do they hold phones securely even going over bumps ?

Priced changing insurance over to a Leon 184 FR TDI. €200 p/a more than the Civic!
    Kinda veering back to the V60 again which is faster and cheaper to insure but bulkier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Priced changing insurance over to a Leon 184 FR TDI. €200 p/a more than the Civic!
    Kinda veering back to the V60 again which is faster and cheaper to insure but bulkier.

Always go for more power....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Always go for more power....

giphy.gif

I knew I could count on boards for guidance :)

I wouldn't trust the guidance of boards

They told me I wouldn't get any views on my Focus until I reduced price to 5k.

I sold it yesterday for 6.5k, which is the going rate!

Meh. I told you early on that your price was around right. It was obvious that those suggesting it should be cheaper didn’t know the difference between old and new model Focus. Don’t let it bother you.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Meh. I told you early on that your price was around right. It was obvious that those suggesting it should be cheaper didn’t know the difference between old and new model Focus. Don’t let it bother you.

Thanks Colm, you know your stuff!

• Advertisement

Sometimes.

My point is, you asked for opinions and got them. That’s the beauty of boards. Opinions aren’t always correct but you can make your own mind up armed with other people’s perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement