Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Obrieski wrote: »
    Eamo very out of his depth with this Beatles podcast! I do enjoy the variety and something different all the same

Yeah, there was no edge to it whatsoever. Stick to what you know. It seemed like he was trying to shoehorn his buddy into an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I never warmed to BP Fallon after I saw him behave very rudely to staff in a restaurant a few years ago.

Was never really a fan of him but Couldn’t be bothered with his rubbish since then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

BP Fallon has a particular glint in his eye that I reckon comes from his knowledge that he's stole a career out of name-dropping and piggybacking on the back of actually talented people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just wondering, What was his role? A journalist/hanger on type?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Certain irony to Nicola Tallant commenting on the industry of crime and career-criminals. She lives off that industry as much as they do. Whether we, the public, need the saturated coverage these criminals get is one thing - I don't think she personally idolises these guys as much as disgraced journalist Paul Williams did back in the day, making celebrities out of absolute shams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tony Tucker

I reckon Dunphys a Hutch man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I never warmed to BP Fallon after I saw him behave very rudely to staff in a restaurant a few years ago.

Was never really a fan of him but Couldn’t be bothered with his rubbish since then

He comes across as incredibly arrogant and self important every time I listen to him, I might be doing him a big disservice but thats just my initial reaction. He seems humourless.

The recent interview with Niall Stanage about Trump's racism was superb. One of the best in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

terrydel wrote: »
    The recent interview with Niall Stanage about Trump's racism was superb. One of the best in a long time.

Dunphy sounded legit worried for America...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

dulpit wrote: »

Rightly so in my view. Scary what’s going on at the moment, reminiscent of 1930s Germany.

Back on topic...I agree Stanage really is a superb contributor; logical, balanced, forthright...even the Nordie accent I have learned to live with!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭MercuryBoy

dulpit wrote: »

Yeah right! He's spent the last 2 years laughing at "The Donald" and his crazeee antics, and now he's worried? It's all playing to the gallery. Trump was equally racist in his election campaign before becoming President and Dunphy wasn't worried then...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

From Twitter...

The Stand @Dunphy_Official

Jul 22
    The Stand Team is taking a summer break. A big thank you to our listeners and our sponsor @TescoIreland. We’ll be back with our Premier League preview on 7th August. Until then we’ll be posting some of our favourites from our archive.

Eamon chosen a bad time for a few days break with all going on in the US and Britain.
    Obviously entitled to a break of course!

The Stand returns with another opportunity for Brendan O'Neill to try justify why he thinks Brexit is still a good idea and going to end well, dispute overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    At least hes consistent, even if his myopia is maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I never realised 17.4 million people voted to leave...how come he has never mentioned that figure before?
    Or the fact it was the largest voter turnout blah blah blah...

same aul guff out of his mouth each time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Obrieski wrote: »
    I never realised 17.4 million people voted to leave...how come he has never mentioned that figure before?
    Or the fact it was the largest voter turnout blah blah blah...

same aul guff out of his mouth each time

Hasn’t more then a million of those voters died since ? He doesn’t mention that.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was looking forward to hearing a different voice re Brexit on The Stand. But Jim Power? Waffler.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

The Stand returns with another opportunity for Brendan O'Neill to try justify why he thinks Brexit is still a good idea and going to end well, dispute overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    At least hes consistent, even if his myopia is maddening.

Yet another one with Brendan this morning!

He was on Sky News last week and was destroyed by a journalist from The Times:

https://twitter.com/mpc_1968/status/1158870001199255552

https://twitter.com/mpc_1968/status/1158872191825584130

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

God she really schooled him. Why does Dunphy persist in interviewing this guy?

He's an absolute muppet - he couldn't debate with her at all. He was shown up completely by someone on a different intellectual level: complete spoofer.

The sad part is that it's people who share his mindset that have their hands on the levers of power in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Brexit boy Brendan O'Neill back blowing the load in a love letter to Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Brexit boy Brendan O'Neill back blowing the load in a love letter to Farage.

No evidence of racism...... had to turn off

• Advertisement

I would like to hear Farage on the stand.... Dunphy and Nigel locking horns would be majestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I would like to hear Farage on the stand.... Dunphy and Nigel locking horns would be majestic.

Locking horns? Have you not listened to a Dunphy interview before? It'd be fawning at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dunphy is usually kissing arse in most of his interviews. He's actually a bit of a Brexiteer at heart himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Being skipping the Brexit eps for ages now, anything special or different in the Pascal Donohoe one thats worth my time?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Being skipping the Brexit eps for ages now, anything special or different in the Pascal Donohoe one thats worth my time?

I listened to Paschal and enjoyed it. Nothing special but he's a fairly clear and frank minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

George Hook used to have a right wing American chap named Michael Graham. I disagreed with just about everything he said but dammit he was enjoyable to listen to and I heard a different aspect

Brendan O´Neill has none of these qualities, another podcast to skip

edit I really liked the Graham Souness podcast from July 24th. His description of planting a flag in the centre circle in Turkey and running for his life from angry Turks was hilarious. I´d love more of these, Souness, Charlton, whomever else they can get

Michael Grahame was always a good listen...

Though hook was not exactly equipped to challenge many of his points..... If I recall correctly Hook wasn’t an Obama fan.....

Thought Eamon went in a bit harder today on Brexit Brendan.
    Brendan has been getting a bit of a battering by people keeping to the nuts and bolts of trade deals, politics and economics and he's been left fairly floundering in debates.

Maybe Eamonn has seen this and realised Wonderkid is a repetitive whingebag who needs to be taken to task ocassionally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Dunphy is usually kissing arse in most of his interviews. He's actually a bit of a Brexiteer at heart himself.

Dunphy's a Eurosceptic, but you can be a Eurosceptic and still recognise that Brexit is being handled in an extraordinarily cack-handed way, and that it's not the best way to go about leaving the EU.

I suspect the reason why Dunphy has Brendan O' Neill on so often is that he's so often available. Apart from the 20 minutes a day he spends writing his Spectator articles in crayon, he's probably pretty free for other engagements. Probably sees Dunphy's podcast as a handy vector to spread his ideas amongst the Irish, and promote the general British strategy of trying to divide the rest of the EU 28.

Advertisement