Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cienciano wrote: »
    Think I'm going to have to disagree with most of that! Bit in bold in particular!

I think in the context of my posts its fine. I dont rate the duro, and casio seem to know its value too. It will do what it says on the tin. The Duro is designed for obsolescence, its not really repairable. Sure a SKX might be the next beatle, but not digital watches. Hell look at the origional Seiko Arnies...most are gone, unrepairable or economically not worthwhile. In another 40 years they will be totally gone. Even the NOS ones will be non functional. No big soldering points on these like on Wibbs 70's quartz watches.
    If someone posted a picture of a new watch they bought, I'd rather see the positives in it, and I'm happy they got a watch they liked. I wouldn't say "I don't like that watch" or anything like that because it's completely pointless. Just think about it for a minute. If someone bought a watch, they obviously did the research, they went through whatever is in their own price range and decided that's what they wanted after probably days of hours combined on the internet looking at different options, youtube videos and reviews. They know what they want. What good is some random anonomous person on the internet saying they don't like it because they would have got something else? We all probably would have chosen something else! That's the whole point of getting a watch, getting one for yourself!
    So, that's why I wouldn't criticise someones watch photo, I'm just happy to see people wearing watches and I'd thank any photo someone goes to the trouble of taking posting as they're obviously enjoying their watch

Look I can see you point here, but problem is that it turns into a back slapping happy clappy circle jerk. The Urban Gentry facebook is like that, its an Orwellian dystopia where only positive comments are allowed and its room 101 for any dissenters.

Take Cycling tourist here. I have made it fairly clear that I dont like his San Martin and find his collecting strategy diverges from my own considerably. He doesn't get snotty or angry. He responds in a calm and well though out way and I feel I learn more about his priorities for the discussion.

You know when I say I like a watch that I actually like it. People are quick to let me know their thoughts on my opinions, so maybe give others the privilege of this honesty also.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Realise too that taste varies radically over time and culture.
    I know that well, but can only comment on the hear and now. Just as Rolex doesnt resonate with you, vintage does not resonate with me, and the ancient history of a model or brand does not play a huge role in my decision to like it or not. Thinking only with historical context leads to stagnation, a modern Rolex sub is a very different animal from a 1980's one. Your point on the quartz ****ters is valid, but the expensive stainless genta watches did save the quality swiss watch market. I think you view watches are a everyman utilitarian device while I feel the mechanical watch has only persisted because it decided to go down the emotional route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

I buy a watch because I like it. Me. I didnt buy the watch for you to like. Simples.
    I'm not on this planet to seek other people's approval on my choice of watch.

Watch snobbery of the worst kind. IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OldRio wrote: »
    I buy a watch because I like it. Me. I didnt buy the watch for you to like. Simples.
    I'm not on this planet to seek other people's approval on my choice of watch.

Watch snobbery of the worst kind. IMHO

True.

I think the issue on this forum is that there are 2 different types of watch collectors, those who can afford to drop thousands on watches and those who can't.

For some, spending a few hundred on a watch is a major purchase, for others they'd say you are wasting your money buying junk.

Don't worry what others, think. If you like it, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

NIMAN wrote: »
    True.

I think the issue on this forum is that there are 2 different types of watch collectors, those who can afford to drop thousands on watches and those who can't.

For some, spending a few hundred on a watch is a major purchase, for others they'd say you are wasting your money buying junk.

This. Just because Art is cheap doesn't make it worthless. Also is all expensive art good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    I know that well, but can only comment on the hear and now. Just as Rolex doesnt resonate with you, vintage does not resonate with me, and the ancient history of a model or brand does not play a huge role in my decision to like it or not. Thinking only with historical context leads to stagnation, a modern Rolex sub is a very different animal from a 1980's one.
    It's really not and Rolex rely on that consistency to sell their current watches. The only changes are because of subsequent advances in production technology, pushing their "luxury" angle from their mid tier base and keeping the fakers at bay. That's it. They are extremely conservative as far as their model lines go, because that's precisely what their customer base demands and buys into. They love the safe detail of minutiae but they don't like loud noises. The plain fact is all your watches are "vintage". That's their "authenticity" selling point, a current take on a bygone age.
    Your point on the quartz ****ters is valid, but the expensive stainless genta watches did save the quality swiss watch market.
    No, they quite simply did not. The Genta watches came out in 71 and 75 respectively(Patek hiring the same designer to do a dull variation on the same theme). There was no "crisis" then in the quality or otherwise Swiss market. Their biggest sales have been in the last two decades, long after the crisis and long after the rebirth of the Swiss luxury mechanical watch industry. If we were talking in the 90's they wouldn't have even been on your radar. 70's design in general was a dead duck. In the 80's? Not a chance and Daytona if it came up the first thought would be of motor racing. To the luxury buyer back then the mechanical watches on their list would be almost all gold dress watches. The steel luxury watch was an early 70's blip that only very recently resurfaced. Why do you think steel cased vintage watches from the luxury brands go for significantly more money at auction than the gold versions? Because they were so very rare. Customers wanted precious metals in that segment.
    I think you view watches are a everyman utilitarian device while I feel the mechanical watch has only persisted because it decided to go down the emotional route.
    If I viewed watches as everyman utilitarian devices I wouldn't have a single one of the watches I do have.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OldRio wrote: »
    This. Just because Art is cheap doesn't make it worthless. Also is all expensive art good?

Well art is a lot more subjective of course.

I have no doubt whatsoever that a €1000 watch will be a lot higher quality and better built than a €200 one (or at least it should be), but if your budget is €200 then your objective is trying to get the best quality watch you can for that amount.

Its kinda irrelevant that its not as good as a watch five times the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

I don’t think that is Fitz point.

More so that he doesn’t understand why people build large collections of sub 2-300 euro watches instead of trying to increase their budget by halving the number of watches (same net spend). Buy a few in the 500-1k range and the step up in quality can be immense.

I don’t get it myself either.

Oldrio and Niman You guys are totally missing the point, totally.

There are plenty of inexpensive watches that are well respected, its not about the money, and at the same time if money is a factor its not an excuse to buy dross. Nobody is saying that an inexpensive watch is not necessarily good

The reverse snobbery card is a lazy one to play, and while I realise nobody is on earth looking for approval on their watch choices, people on this forum just might be look for opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Take Cycling tourist here. I have made it fairly clear that I dont like his San Martin and find his collecting strategy diverges from my own considerably. He doesn't get snotty or angry. He responds in a calm and well though out way and I feel I learn more about his priorities for the discussion.

You know when I say I like a watch that I actually like it. People are quick to let me know their thoughts on my opinions, so maybe give others the privilege of this honesty also.

Thanks for the complement Fitz.

I don't mind that you say you don't like the (I'm using the definite article to depersonalise the issue) San Martin retro diver but as you may or may not be aware it's a 'homage' (stylistic copy) of the Tudor Black Bay 58 black dial which itself is a 'homage' to a Tudor sub of fifty years ago. Not the same quality granted but aesthetically to the naked eye equally pleasing IMHO.

Thanks for the complement Fitz.

I don't mind that you say you don't like the (I'm using the definite article to depersonalise the issue) San Martin retro diver but as you may or may not be aware it's a 'homage' (stylistic copy) of the Tudor Black Bay 58 black dial which itself is a 'homage' to a Tudor sub of fifty years ago. Not the same quality granted but aesthetically to the naked eye equally pleasing IMHO.

This is bringing feckin tear to my eyes, two people on a discussion forum disagreeing about watches and being polite to eachother....

CT would the BB58 be a watch you would consider getting if you like that aesthetic?

• Advertisement

This is bringing feckin tear to my eyes, two people on a discussion forum disagreeing about watches and being polite to eachother....

CT would the BB58 be a watch you would consider getting if you like that aesthetic?

Yes I would but if I was spending the kind of money I'd need to to get one I'd want to try it on first. I 'm quite happy to spend 200 on a watch I haven't tried on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cripes if even a small percentage of the huddled masses take your point of view on Fitz, what in the name of God would that do to Rolex' oh so (artificially) stretched waiting lists and used values!! :) (or is that your cunning plan).
    It might even go the other way and be the last straw, the dispelling of the illusion. When the bus driver's outstretched hand reveals a glint of genuine submariner, to where fly the Earls then? If exclusivity goes, status goes, values go. I suppose then you might truly get an answer to the quality question. Could Rolex continue to stand tall and lord it over its wannabe competition on quality and merit alone, without the market distortion of meticulously micro-managed supply and demand.

Honest opinion does make for livelier debate though for sure. And it is harder for the Rolex wearer to pooh pooh the Seiko. It's never a good look and pedastels are precarious. But it can be much more acceptable to snob up so to speak, and unfairly so. The Seiko can sometimes fling feces at the Rolex wearer with impunity but then play the sensitivity card awfully quickly at criticism in the other direction.

For me, I do really like watches, but I don't 5000 euro love them. In fact my history has shown that when it comes to voting with my wallet I don't even 500 euro love them! :). But I spent datejust money on a selection of wheelsets for my bikes last year and considered them a bargain, and have two new full bikes that I didn't have this time last year! One's taste is in one's mouth innit.

It's really not and Rolex rely on that consistency to sell their current watches. The only changes are bec........................... watches I do have.

I would disagree...there are plenty of out there Rolex dials and designs (certi dials, rainbow daytonas, beach daytonas, the new Oyster perpetuals. The Skydweller and the command bezel is very innovative). Yes there are manufacturing and materials differences, case size differences, movements differences....its all adds up to very different watches unless you suggest all watches that are the same shape and colour are the same? However buyers do tend to stick to the icons, and that understandable. They are icons for a reason....and that ties back into my original argument, that people actually like what they buy rather than buy what they like. There is a whole other world of Rolex when you get away from the usual stainless sports models. Hell unkle has a 43mm Rolex that goes down to 13000ft with a 5mm thick crystal...thats innovative and bold and brave. (and yes I know about the Proflof and the 50 fathoms etc).

The genta watches, however you want to split hairs, were at a time when selling expensive mechanical watches was getting harder, and the pointed the way that has been have followed and copied since. Build a brand, create a story & sell watches to the heart not the head.

If we must draw lines from the past we have to reluctantly draw a line from there that was the genisys and proof of concept for the current market.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Cripes if even a small percentage of the huddled masses take your point of view on Fitz, what in the name of God would that do to Rolex' oh so (artificially) stretched waiting lists and used values!! :) (or is that your cunning plan).
    It might even go the other way and be the last straw, the dispelling of the illusion. When the bus driver's outstretched hand reveals a glint of genuine submariner, to where fly the Earls then? If exclusivity goes, status goes, values go. I suppose then you might truly get an answer to the quality question. Could Rolex continue to stand tall and lord it over its wannabe competition on quality and merit alone, without the market distortion of meticulously micro-managed supply and demand.

Honest opinion does make for livelier debate though for sure. And it is harder for the Rolex wearer to pooh pooh the Seiko. It's never a good look and pedastels are precarious. But it can be much more acceptable to snob up so to speak, and unfairly so. The Seiko can sometimes fling feces at the Rolex wearer with impunity but then play the sensitivity card awfully quickly at criticism in the other direction.

For me, I do really like watches, but I don't 5000 euro love them. In fact my history has shown that when it comes to voting with my wallet I don't even 500 euro love them! :). But I spent datejust money on a selection of wheelsets for my bikes last year and considered them a bargain, and have two new full bikes that I didn't have this time last year! One's taste is in one's mouth innit.

Yes very well put. Its easy punch up, and also very easy not to bother getting involved at all. Take the fantasy watch competition. Bit of fun. Put up a 100k budget and people say they have no interest in any of those, No stainless they have no interest in precious metal, Vintage - nobody even enters. People cant even dream anymore so intent are they on confirming their own bias and staying in, and defending their comfort zones.

However I own Seiko, I love seiko, I think seiko is a great brand. Seiko is in my opinion where everyone should start...I think one seiko is enough but thats another story, but a collection of seiko is pretty cool.

Price is a barrier to entry but if you are really into it, these watches are not that expensive in the grand scheme. Depends on what else you will sacrifice. Quit smoking, stop drinking, skip a holiday, dont change the car, take on extra shifts, get another job, sell sperm, open a brothel...whatever you need to do.
    Yes I would but if I was spending the kind of money I'd need to to get one I'd want to try it on first. I 'm quite happy to spend 200 on a watch I haven't tried on.

Cycling Tourist - its a strange dissonance when you would buy 10 x 300 euro watches you never tried on but not one 3000 euro watch? Now if you dont like that 3000 euro watch, you can sell it for 2900 the next day. Dont like half the 300 euro watches, nobody wants that and its a dead or massive loss. People think I buy a lot of watches, but I have basically been playing with the same money for years...I am not wealthy enough to be buying all these inexpensive watches, far too costly in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I am glad to see this new air of honesty on the forum and open discussion. And while you appreciate I play the Archie character it does flush out the honesty and eliminate the bull****. When you call a spade a spade, that when meaningful discussion happens. Wibbs I appreciate people collect for a variety of reasons, you have hit on a few of mine, but missed a lot too., its easy pigeon hole me as the "throw money at it" hype watch collector, but it's a lot more considered than that.

Why do people wear expensive watches that the bought for themselves? Simple....achievement awards. The achievement is that you can, and had the good taste to do so. Its a personal thing, and a lot of the reason I cannot understand people burdening themselves with low quality rubbish. If it truly is quality you value in a watch only you will notice wearing it, its not about other people. They are fooled by your Pagani, Alpha or replica.

My kids think I am obsessed with watches and I am, and the thought of them getting my watches and bringing them to be appraised when I am gone, and told their Daddies watches were actually worthless garbage would make me sad. I want to feel that all this effort I put into the hobby is towards something, is a progression and not just an accumulation.

People buy inexpensive (to many) watches to celebrate events/achievements too Fitz - the amount of people who told me excitedly that they are hoping to wear the Starlight for their wedding, to celebrate their graduation or a major birthday or even finishing off their PhD is lovely in my eyes. Of course someone could say - ah but for something as important as a wedding wouldn't you want to wear a Rolex/Patek/Hublot ( :D )? But for some people who see any watch as an "unnecessary *luxury*" (in the same way as a nice Caran D'ache fountain pen or even a rollerball is unnecessary in the world of BICs...or email) spending hundreds on a watch is "luxury spending". And you want to get as much quality as possible for the budget.

As for why someone wants to accumulate rather than focus on getting a higher quality piece - could be as simple as why someone would want lots of t-shirts when they could have pooled the t-shirt money together to get a lovely dress shirt - some people like the variety in design and don't need to fret if one t-shirt gets torn or lost etc.

^ these two types of people are generally distinct from one another in my experience - I know there are people who are getting the Starlight and they've written to me to ask exactly how long before they should service the movement and want to treasure the timepiece as a lifelong piece - it could be their one "good watch" for them. I know certainly there will be others who think "micro-rotor huh - cool" and maybe never look at the watch again - they now have a micro-rotor/aventurine watch in their collection - it's not a Patek micro-rotor or a Bovet aventurine but it scratches the itch for something in that category. Humans like collecting things too and "having ownership" of something - seems like human nature. And "cheaper" watches allow for easier collection of varieties - your diver, chrono, gmt, dress, microrotor, flyback, monopusher, moonphase etc. etc. etc. - now sure Patek can sell you something with all these built into one watch - but we're not talking about a 20k watch anymore ;) - but you can buy affordables that covers all these categories for maybe 2-3k.

^ So while you may have concentrated on the value of a brand/resale/finishing - it could be that people who collect affordables have concentrated on the value of design/functions/materials etc. (I want a ceramic affordable, titanium affordable, tungsten affordable etc.)

If you ask me why I really want a minute repeater - ultimately there's no "good" reason other than I think it's an item of beauty that I enjoy the (aural) aesthetics of - and a MR complication is something that definitely isn't really for show to others - but like you say - personal achievement.
    I agree, and I will post how strongly I agree soon enough ;)

Look forward to seeing what else you have in the post ;)
    Yes, not everything is top quality. People know they're not high end, they're not looking for people to tell them they're quality. But anyone who visits a watch forum and takes the time to take a photo, upload it and make a comment obviously just enjoy their watch. A duro or vostok can make someone happy, partly because they got a decent watch that'll last years for under €100
    Taking it to the personal again - if someone says "I got this Starlight for my wedding, it's beautiful!" I would hope that people don't say - ah a microbrand, it's resale value will probably plummet (though maybe not if we go further up value in the future :P ), ah it's made in China - I've had people on facebook post about the Starlight in true excitement and others respond below with a picture of Archie - I'm sure they don't regard the Starlight as "quality" - and yes absolutely - if you can afford it an ALS saxonia aventurine watch is the definitely better made watch - but lots of people genuinely can't, or prefer to have that dress watch, diver watch, chrono watch instead of one "great" watch.

NIMAN wrote: »
    True.

Don't worry what others, think. If you like it, that's all that matters.

More than 2 :D - I enjoy the Omegas/Bulgaris and my wife her Rolex... but also the Vostoks and Sea-Gulls too. So I think I'm a cross between the "collector" type (making the Starlight was born from a desire to get an affordable micro-rotor watch out into the public) sprinkled with "achievement" pieces as Fitz mentions - the Omega was a reward for starting my legal career.

I bought a Poljot alarm watch - I might not buy many other types of Poljots - but the alarm watch ticks my "alarm watch complication" box without needing to buy a JLC or an Omega or even a Seiko - and for me the quality of that 35ish euro Poljot is there - it's functional collectability quality is the main quality I'm looking for and that has value in and of itself (to me).

If I put a picture up on the forum of the Poljot - it's not necessarily to say "look at the finishing of this Poljot, isn't it amazing and wonderful?" but rather "hey - check out this cool watch with a mechanical alarm - available for tens of euro - pretty nifty huh?" Others are very welcome to share their JLC Memovox etc.

And even recently - I think a new poster on the forum asked about MVMT watches and I think everyone agreed and advised the poster that 1) if he wants that style of watch it's available cheaper elsewhere or 2) if wants to spend that kind of money he could probably get a "better" watch...

But if he put up a photo of his newly acquired MVMT watch and says he loves it - are we really saying that we should say to him - "sorry that's an absolute sh*tter - you got ripped off badly mate" ? I guess if I haven't been asked for advice I normally wouldn't give it (and depending on the circumstances - would charge a pretty penny for it too :pac: )

If someone posted up his MVMT watch collection and asks if any better value could be had with other brands I'm sure people would be helpful and direct him onto Orients/Aliexpress quartz watches (if that's purely what he's interested in) - he can still love watches and *just* be interested in 40 euro quartz watches (I think anyway).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would disagree...there are plenty of out there Rolex dials and designs (certi dials, rainbow daytonas, beach daytonas, the new Oyster perpetuals. The Skydweller and the command bezel is very innovative).
    The bling dials are a minority part of their lineup, though yes the Skydweller is a rare example of Rolex innovation.
    Yes there are manufacturing and materials differences, case size differences, movements differences....its all adds up to very different watches unless you suggest all watches that are the same shape and colour are the same?
    They're absolutely tiny tweaks to the forms. They are a very conservative company, because that's what their market demands.
    However buyers do tend to stick to the icons, and that understandable. They are icons for a reason....
    Yup. Marketing for the most part.
    and that ties back into my original argument, that people actually like what they buy rather than buy what they like. There is a whole other world of Rolex when you get away from the usual stainless sports models. Hell unkle has a 43mm Rolex that goes down to 23000ft with a 5mm thick crystal...thats innovative and bold and brave. (and yes I know about the Proflof and the 50 fathoms etc).
    Outside of the Cellini range(which was a big seller in the 80's and 90's) and a chronograph they weren't quite sure about, but figured they had to have one, Rolex have an extremely narrow design language and one that narrowed right down over time(40's and 50's Rolex lines varied by a much larger degree). Again part of their very clever marketing strategy. Just like the aforementioned Porsche. You can spot the design language a mile away and any time either company strays too far from that formula buyers baulk and don't tend to buy.
    The genta watches, however you want to split hairs, were at a time when selling expensive mechanical watches was getting harder, and the pointed the way that has been have followed and copied since. Build a brand, create a story & sell watches to the heart not the head.
    It's not splitting hairs it's questioning Swiss advertising bumpf and internet "facts" repeated until people believe them. In 71 the Swiss nor anyone else had a clue what was coming. Everybody was happily building and innovating mechanical(auto chronos) and electronic and quartz analogue watches. Hell there were Beta 21(first Swiss quartz movement) Royal Oaks in steel. Selling mechanical watches wasn't any harder or easier than it had been. Indeed the crazy costs of the first quartz movement watches meant they were the slow sellers. Never mind that the market for the AP's and Pateks of this world in the early 70's was absolutely tiny and far smaller than it has been over the last decade. The Gentas in steel were not so much as is claimed today "a brave move to market a luxury watch in steel" it was to try and flog more watches to more people at bigger margins full stop. Though the AP initially stalled because though it was cheaper than their own gold models it was the same price as a "basic" Patek Calatrava in gold. They took a few years to sell the first batch of a thousand watches or so. They tweaked the pricing and over time started adding gold back into the mix and quartz movements too, because that was what was selling. Today steel is the seller.
    People cant even dream anymore so intent are they on confirming their own bias.
    Or maybe the fantasy watch game isn't their thing, or they forgot(:o). I don't know where confirmation of bias comes in? People have different likes and dislikes. Some considered over time, some not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Or maybe the fantasy watch game isn't their thing, or they forgot(:o). I don't know where confirmation of bias comes in? People have different likes and dislikes. Some considered over time, some not.

No I was PM'ed by people to say that expensive watches are all **** and they are not interested, that of course I would not pick cheap watches cause I is snob and I wouldnt bother doing it for affordable watches because I am out of touch with reality.....yep.

All watch companies have a design language they stick to, but I think produce far more TT, Gold and diamond watches than you would think. The SS gets all the talk, but a datejust is a pretty unique watch, the cyclops, the oyster case. I think sometimes because they have such market and mindshare domination people dont see the details. I am sure I am about to be corrected on different people that did all these things first, but Rolex is the apple of watches, it put all the piece together. I hate Rolex really, they are too expensive now, but I cant agree they are boring.

sell sperm, open a brothel...

Could also be funded by ripping people off on a Kickstarter even. Loads of options.

Cycling Tourist - its a strange dissonance when you would buy 10 x 300 euro watches you never tried on but not one 3000 euro watch? Now if you dont like that 3000 euro watch, you can sell it for 2900 the next day. Dont like half the 300 euro watches, nobody wants that and its a dead or massive loss. People think I buy a lot of watches, but I have basically been playing with the same money for years...I am not wealthy enough to be buying all these inexpensive watches, far too costly in the long run.

There's only a dissonance if time stops now. I have already stated that I will be on the lookout for a watch (or 2) in the 2-3K range over the coming 1-2 years. I'm not into selling watches although I've been known to give the odd one away. If I buy it's for keeps so want to try on then think and then go the AD or Chrono24 route if I decide it's what I want. Difficult to do with all the shops closed.

I could make a dental appointment in the Canaries and shop the Omega/Tudor ADs of course. :D

No I was PM'ed by people to say that expensive watches are all **** and they are not interested, that of course I would not pick cheap watches cause I is snob and I wouldnt bother doing it for affordable watches because I am out of touch with reality.....yep.
    Well that was a bit twatty alright. Never mind that I thought the idea and point of a fantasy lineup was to choose stuff that was well, fantasy? I mean a fantasy five car garage of mine would include a Ferrari SWB(though I'd throttle body the bugger, cos me :D) and the closest I'll get to one of them is the time I sat in one at a car show 30 years ago.
    All watch companies have a design language they stick to, but I think produce far more TT, Gold and diamond watches than you would think. The SS gets all the talk, but a datejust is a pretty unique watch, the cyclops, the oyster case. I think sometimes because they have such market and mindshare domination people dont see the details.
    Oh I see the details, but of all the main brands Rolex(outside of Cellini) have the narrowest design language by a long distance. There's basically the same basic case shape with a fluted or "dive" bezel, minus bezel for the entry level and Mercedes hands for the most part. Add or subtract bling and mm when required. The Datejust is a unique watch alright. The Rolex really and one they didn't take inspiration from anywhere else, it being a stylisation of the original fluting on their screwdown fronted Oyster case in the 1920's.

DSCN9627.jpg?fit=500%2C592

They were a pretty little thing, if tiny. I'm kinda sorry I didn't hang onto one of them.
    I am sure I am about to be corrected on different people that did all these things first, but Rolex is the apple of watches, it put all the piece together.
    Well not really. The first screwdown back, front, a sealed crystal with a screwdown crown in the one "waterproof" watch was a decade before Rolex. All the pieces together. Until recently I thought Rolex did add a day window to the date, but it turns out nope there too.

543463.jpg
    PotatoCam.

So we're down to the helium escape valve developed with Omega, though I'd be pretty confident they did invent the cyclops for the date window and the new Command Bezel to be fair and that is new(though not the first bezel selection complication). So of the main Swiss brands I struggle to think of any other that innovated less than Rolex in their history. Yet much of the public and indeed dealers and bloggists and youtubers and think like yer man Nico up North that they "invented the wristwatch". And that is some brilliant trick to pull off.

What Rolex were much better at with a sideorder of luck was in timing and very good advertising that spread from Britain and her commonwealth to the rest of the world. They curated a market for themselves extremely well and extremely well focussed. Theirs is one of the greatest success stories in marketing of the 20th century down to today. In any field.

Though Apple are a good comparison alright. Wilsdorf was the Jobs of his day. Saw openings in markets, gathered ideas from others and marketed them very well(though Apple innovated far more internally than Rolex).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

All watch companies have a design language they stick to, but I think produce far more TT, Gold and diamond watches than you would think. The SS gets all the talk, but a datejust is a pretty unique watch, the cyclops, the oyster case. I think sometimes because they have such market and mindshare domination people dont see the details. I am sure I am about to be corrected on different people that did all these things first, but Rolex is the apple of watches, it put all the piece together. I hate Rolex really, they are too expensive now, but I cant agree they are boring.

Well some people have had a busy morning writing essays.

With regard to the 5 vintage watches fantasy collection, perhaps I should have made it 250k instead of 25k? Would it get more entries, who knows. I was trying to use a realistic (to me) price range to see what people would throw up. I'm not in the same watch collecting league as you Fitz, the watches that CT puts up are more interesting to me, simply because they are affordable to me.

I think that's what it really boils down to, we buy watches for ourselves, that we like the look of. I haven't sold any watches, apart from a Seiko 5 I gave to a traavelling salesman in part exchange for a powerhose:D I don't think that one really counts.

We are all at different stages in the watch collecting journey too, we all, I think, collect sh1tters in the beginning, I know I did. I set a limit of €200 until I found what I liked, I just haven't got to the stage where I sell off the crap that doesn't get wrist time anymore. Who knows one of them might be a (VW bug) little gem in the future. I now limit myself to buying one watch per year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seeing loads of ads for code41 for some reason. Watches seems to be around €700 and up. Any data on them?
    They are mechanical watches and look good but seem to be very focused on being Swiss which I assume is built into the price.

The X41 looks pretty cool alright. They're definitely not going for the conservative look anyway. :) The "swiss made" thing can be confusing. IIRC they only have to have around half of the parts made in Switzerland and the finished movement must be assembled in Switzerland to get that label. Tbh it never really bothered me, it's as much a marketing thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Thirdfox wrote: »
    in the same way as a nice Caran D'ache fountain pen or even a rollerball is unnecessary in the world of BICs

People who think a good pen is unnecessary because BICs exist are heathens. I bought a good pen based on your posts in the other hobbies thread and I’ll never go back. BIC are an abomination and I’ve made a point of throwing out all the bic pens I find in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Time wrote: »
    People who think a good pen is unnecessary because BICs exist are heathens. I bought a good pen based on your posts in the other hobbies thread and I’ll never go back. BIC are an abomination and I’ve made a point of throwing out all the bic pens I find in work.

Don't get me started on good pens!

Time wrote: »

Hey man, to some people a BIC is a good pen and gets the job done. You have lost touch with reality here. :D

Cycling Tourist - you should defo try on a Tudor. Hell there are few on the forum and I am sure they would oblige. Once the AD open back up it will be easy. You will be blown away by the finish on them, Tudor make a damn fine watch and I think the BB58 would suit your aesthetic (the black not the blue).

Culling your watch collection is very cathartic. I do it every so often and have never regretted it. Having a lot of watches is too stressful, trying to give them all a bit of time, or feeling guilty of having thousands sitting in drawers doing nothing. I am not saying you should be one and done, but you seem to have very laser like focus with your cycling hobby.

This conversation and the essays it generates is interesting. There is a lot of subtlety to the arguments, fine detail, semantics etc. Its all too easy to strawman the argument by taking your own skew on it, attributing it the person with whom you disagree and misrepresent their view. Next time I use the word sh1tter* the little star denotes this conversation. One mans ****ter is another mans grail I understand that. Maybe its redialed vintage, maybe it hublot, maybe its entry level Rolex, it depends on the collector or if they are a collector or not what a sh1tter is. (unless its invicta (modern invicta wibbs) invicta is always a sh1tter).

Blue500 wouldn't matter what value you put in the fantasy collection, it had run its course, will resurrect in a while and maybe focus it down to One watch for 100k or less or something easy to enter, but a lot of people just have no interest in thing they feel they will never own. I love to dream myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I would disagree...there are plenty of out there Rolex dials and designs (certi dials, rainbow daytonas, beach daytonas, the new Oyster perpetuals. .

To be fair the bulk of their range is uber conservative and samey. They are nearly all sports watches with bezels and the same basic dial. The sub, the GMT, the deep sea, the yachtmaster, the explorer II. None have display backs. They mix up the colour of the bezel now and again or stick a red line of text on it and people go wild. The odd monstrosity like a rainbow daytona or iced out versions of the above doesn't do much to deviate from the core line of what they do. The explorer and OP are very bland and samey too. I'll give them the Milgaus, that's kind of a curveball. Clearly this all works and people seem to love it, but let's call a spade a spade.

Ok I feel like a need a good pen.

Recommendations please of something I can purchase online. Let’s say 100-200 euro. Or is that too much or too little for something decent.

In 90% of cases a redialled vintage is a major no no. The 10% might be horribly rare pieces where original dials are impossible to get and/or have completely decayed away(radium lume in the 20's and 30's was a curse for this on metalled dials, ditto for 50's printing in general), or a family piece in need of a refresh. It was extremely common in the past for people to get dials "cleaned" AKA redialled. It was quite the industry especially in hot countries. Of course that's before the collecting thing kicked off.

Invicta were never quality really. They were a minor brand, bought in movements of generic design. They had the occasional quirky piece like world timers and cam operated cheaper chronographs, as many brands had from 1940 on as the cam type was significantly cheaper to make/buy in from Landeron etc. Though cam operated feels it in operation compared to column wheel. Grand if you want a cheap vintage for what it is and you like the quirkiness. Though I can see Hodinkee pushing their vintage angle. I'm surprised they haven't as Invicta are another "refreshed" brand and they've run the gamut of entry level old brands to get interest up and stock their shop. From some entry level brands like Zodiac, they did occasionally have nice models that were well above background in quality. IIRC it was a Zodiac that beat out Rolex and Wittnauer IIRC in US navy diver trials in the late 50's, though they were concerned about the level of nuclears it gave off, though glowed like a searchlight underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

I nearly wrote an essay.

Then I realised that I like what I like, and that changes as I learn more about stuff. My circumstances and preferences shape how I feel about watches, as does everyone else’s.

This is a superbly helpful place, information and advice is freely given, all of it carries prejudices and filters, but that’s all good.

Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

893bet wrote: »
    Ok I feel like a need a good pen.

Recommendations please of something I can purchase online. Let’s say 100-200 euro. Or is that too much or too little for something decent.

You missed the BA thread of the year, then?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058145673/1

Advertisement