Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Infastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Gaelic Grounds is after getting a 'concert' and I say that loosely. I'm actually disappointed and abit shocked that they've agreed to the ' Wolfe Tones'. They are so divisive. You ll have every half baked republican showing up well oiled . All in a middle class neighbourhood that wouldn't be caught dead supporting that band. It's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What we have to learn is that delaying infrastructure projects such as stadium upgrades and COE's is a fales economy. Prices only go up.

As ive said its alarming to see the cost of such projects in Ireland. Its not just a materials thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I wouldnt care if they rented croke park out to the orange order. All that matters is that as an organsiation is we get funds in for looking after our infastructure and getting more coaches in schools and clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

There is a definite jacking up of prices from building firms to government and organisations doing builds - and often the work is rushed and a shyte job is done. There's a cohort of Irish people in business that loves ripping off his fellow countryman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Any examples of large sporting infrastructure in other European countries being built for cheap in 2023?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Great news for kildare.

I wonder what are the details or are there any for the other 3 sides of the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Great news for them.

3000k seated stand and then other sides concrete terrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

That's some size of a stand but i doubt they would ever fill it !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Not sure how the GAA can get away with not upping their contribution to Casement Park if the price has gone way up. I do think its important now to get it started.

On the wider issue of Stadiums there has to be some sort of over arching template. Stadiums need to be graded A,B,C and money allocated on that basis. Croke Park and Cork are the only A Stadiums at the moment and maybe it should be kept that way. Cork should be getting way more games for the facility it is and the money spent. An All Ireland semi final could be played there. Certainly in hurling a Kilkenny v Galway or Kilkenny V Clare would be perfect.

Thurles ,Gaelic Grounds ,Kilarney are all vying for A status and they should be kept up but they shouldn't be encouraged to go after a Cork like set up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

According to local well informed sources the redevelopment includes the kilcullen end terrace and Kildare will play in another county during the development

Problem with Cork is location.Thurles or PnG are better for the teams you mentioned. KK/Wexford v Tipp maybe but that's about it.

For Limerick v Waterford this year I would much prefer to be heading to Cork though.

I think the hurling league final should be spread around appropriate grounds. Announced in advance to give places a bit of time to organize something.

I do agree with your grading system but Killarney is nowhere near the A table. It's nothing more than a remote county ground and probably one of the least likely neutral venue options in the whole country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Don’t think Cork should be in discussion for all Ireland semis to be honest. Would have been fine for Kilkenny Clare which was a low attended semi but capacity is too small for a typical semi final.

it’s a lovely stadium but games shouldn’t be taken out of Croke Park unnecessarily at the all Ireland semi stage.

Id love to see them play national league finals at Div 1 level there or football quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It's clear that the GAA don't expect the Casement project to proceed but they can't say that for political reasons. There is no economic justification for a large stadium there and Burns is right, the GAA shouldn't be throwing scarce resources into it. It is a political project so if politicians want it, they can pay for it. The GAA has already been burned with PUC, not just spiralling construction costs but also hefty running costs too, don't need a repeat in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Because of the cost of the PUC development, the GAA will be seriously looking at the viability of stadiums. The commercial funding will be critical. Killarney is probably one of the most viable because of that

Slava Ukrainii

Is this the fantasy of Killarney being some world class music venue again ?

The only thing the GAA should be looking at beyond the big population centres is do the stadiums have a nice dry stand with good seats and a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Croke Pk as double headers with the Dubs hopefully where it is viable. Forget about Laois or Tullamore.

• Advertisement

Any stadium will need outside funding at both the building and running cost stage. That means the ability to host events. Killarney has a better chance of accessing funding at the build stage than most major stadia. It being virtually in the center of tma town capable of having accomodation and facilities to cater for the people going to such an even form a food drink and accomodation has to be factored in.

PUC is 3.5km from the center of Cork with bad access and nothing around it. The same cannot be said for Killarney.

You might not like to admit it but of all the planned upgrades it's the most viable

Slava Ukrainii

By God Kilarney is a lovely town but its not viable to pump a fortune into it. Its got good accommodation , great sights ect. However

1. Its not central to anywhere especially in comparison to Thurles and Limerick.

2. Its a town ,not a city.

3. Limited enough transport links.

Ya but it's way way easier to get to the centre of Cork to make that 3.5k journey (they really should do shuttle buses).

Killarney is already good enough for what it needs to be which is a county ground with little neutral potential.

Any concerts the GAA could do would be far more viable in Limerick or Cork.

Food and coffee can be done with Mobile set ups.Some of the best coffee i have had is out of horse boxes

When it comes to food Supermacs do a fine job in Salthill.

It would be nice if places like Limerick started to invite of many the nice food and coffee vans around the town.

The accommodation in and around Killarney is booked out most of the year, the place is packed in the summer and prices are high. I can't see many Irish people paying for accommodation in Killarney to attend a concert there, it would obviously be during the summer so prices high already and most places booked out before the gig has even been announced. I doubt any concert promoter would seriously consider booking a stadium in Killarney for a concert, no chance there would be available accomodation for 10,000 people and there isn't the population nearby that you'd get enough day trippers either.

Concerts are scheduled 6-12 months or longer in advance. You could make the same comparison with Dublin that it booked up all year around. Killarney is second only to Dublin regarding accommodation.

When you add in the greater Killarney/ Kerry area it has as much accomodation as Dublin if not more. There would be enough accommodation for multiples of 10k.

As well Fitzgerald stadium is o e of the fastest stadium to empty that I have ever been in. You have ecits out all four sides. It also has the green area behind the goal end stand on the upper Lewis road side.

There is a good few on here have absolutely no idea of the logistics of Kerry, Killarney and Fitzgerald stadium.

Slava Ukrainii

Dublin also has a huge population within striking distance of the city plus transport options, I doubt significant numbers attending a concert in Dublin are staying in a hotel. Killarney doesn't have a big population and poor transport options so would rely on people from further afield staying the night at significant cost.

No matter how wonderful Kerry, Killarney and Fitzgerald stadium are/could be, it might get a gig or two each summer, nothing even close to justifying the cost of a stadium rebuild.

Kerry having more hotels is only half the story. Density of population and access to the stadium for both fans and the massive supporting staff of the act are very important too. How many would be as willing to travel there as they would other places.

Ireland clearly already has enough places to hold gigs and the GAA have Croke Park and also have PuC close to Killarney.

The only benefit of upgrading Killarney is exclusively for Killarney so it under no circumstances should be of the national interest for the GAA. If there is any area the GAA can target for investment for gigs is Galway. It has roughly the same hotel capacity as Kerry and doesn't have the competition of PuC like Killarney or Thomond Park for Limerick.

If Killarney wants a big music venue fire away and pay for it themselves. It is not in the wider interest of the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Are concerts the new Rugby World Cup red herring to try and justify massive expenditure on infrequently used stadia?

Advertisement