Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lenny lynch

That would drive me up the wall. Its private property.

I assume many of them are members anyway but seeing cyclists flying down grass pathways and pulling skids on the surround was fairly infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Full lockdown until March 5 apparently so another month with no golf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

slingerz wrote: »

While that might be what is being said, I do think it will depend a lot on hospitilisations and ICU cases. One would HOPE that if daily cases goes down, positivity rates continue to go down, close contacts begin to be tested again (today I think) hospitilisation will begin to drop within the next 2 or 3 weeks and this might be reviewed.
    Particularily in the case of certain schools/classes and/or construction and other areas.
    I am hoping post midterm in Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

kippy wrote: »
    While that might be what is being said, I do think it will depend a lot on hospitilisations and ICU cases. One would HOPE that if daily cases goes down, positivity rates continue to go down, close contacts begin to be tested again (today I think) hospitilisation will begin to drop within the next 2 or 3 weeks and this might be reviewed.
    Particularily in the case of certain schools/classes and/or construction and other areas.

I admire your optimism. But I expect golf and recreation is the least of their worries. After Easter at the earliest is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

kippy wrote: »

Not a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Old people die. QALY should be the measure used to make decisions

I have stage 4 cancer. I want to live the last years of my life

I think death is a pretty low qaly personally.

There are hundreds of people dying from covid who otherwise had decades left, your qaly isntb worth more then their lives

MOD EDIT - Stay on topic or refrain from posting, thanks

I assume many of them are members anyway but seeing cyclists flying down grass pathways and pulling skids on the surround was fairly infuriating

Jaysus, thats unreal.

What course is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think death is a pretty low qaly personally.

There are hundreds of people dying from covid who otherwise had decades left, your qaly isntb worth more then their lives

they dont have decades left. Do you know what QALY is?

Because your post would indicate that you dont

QALY - Quality Adjusted Life Years - it is the general measure that should be used when measuring deaths

gypsy79 wrote: »
    they dont have decades left. Do you know what QALY is?

Because your post would indicate that you dont

QALY - Quality Adjusted Life Years - it is the general measure that should be used when measuring deaths

So, they had decades left, maybe not at the peak of their health, but still alive.

What about all the people under 65 in Ireland who died?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lenny lynch

Jaysus, thats unreal.

What course is that?

Rosses point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

slingerz wrote: »

Confirmed this morning. We'll be doing well to get out by Paddy's Day:(

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I always had Paddy's Day in my head as the most likely scenario when we went into lockdown first. Now I'm not so sure. If Michael Martin is saying not all kids will be back in school before then, then there is no chance of other things opening up around that time.

When we know that schools are back full time I would imagine some additional measure will be lifted another 2 weeks after that maybe. Hopefully Golf will fall into that bracket.

I'd prefer to give up a few more weeks this time of the year than face another lockdown in June or July for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

So, they had decades left, maybe not at the peak of their health, but still alive.

What about all the people under 65 in Ireland who died?

So you didnt research again what QALY again. Very few people under 65 have died. To get a full year QALY for 1 year of life the person must be in full health. A morbidly obese woman in her 20s who died maybe had 20 years QALY

We are denying healthy people from living their lives to protect people who havent bothered look after their body. And not everybody who gets ill in REAL life are due to not looking after themselves

Using the logic you have applied. Thousands of people die from lung cancer directly caused by smoking cigarettes. Cigarettes havent been banned

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've gone back to some posts and asked to please stay on topic, if you want to discuss the general CV19 then there is a dedicated forum.
    Please keep to golf centric postings
    Thanks all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I went for a walk in donabate and popped into corballis for a look. I saw a father with his son. Son has his golf clubs on a trolley. Two lads walking around each with a wedge. And I saw a fella on a bike. He was cycling through the dunes and I saw him go around a green. So he was being considerate. And loads of families playing there.

To be honest I was kind of glad to see the course being used. I'd have preferred if it was me using it to play golf, but they all looked like they were having fun and not doing any real harm to the course. It's hard to get angry at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

On a positive note I’ve not had a .1 in months

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I'd take that if we get a clear run through the summer tbh and I'd normally play once a week and sometimes twice during winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea the weather has been brutal lately and while I'm missing the golf and the exercise it brings, I have at least motivated myself a little to get out and stretch the legs around the block a couple of times a week, but I don't miss playing in the freezing cold or lashings of rain.

I would like to see us back on the links in the next few weeks and I really don't understand why it's not a runner, (needless bureaucracy I suppose) but I guess I can handle the extended lockdown now if we can get back to normal from about Easter onwards and as long as the vaccines start rolling out at a greater pace when the new ones come on stream, I really don't see why this shouldn't be the last hard lockdown required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea the weather has been brutal lately and while I'm missing the golf and the exercise it brings, I have at least motivated myself a little to get out and stretch the legs around the block a couple of times a week, but I don't miss playing in the freezing cold or lashings of rain.

I would like to see us back on the links in the next few weeks and I really don't understand why it's not a runner, (needless bureaucracy I suppose) but I guess I can handle the extended lockdown now if we can get back to normal from about Easter onwards and as long as the vaccines start rolling out at a greater pace when the new ones come on stream, I really don't see why this shouldn't be the last hard lockdown required.

I'm with you there, not being able to feel your hands for the first 3 holes was never fun. My exercise routine is gone to the dogs though so i need to get that sorted.

Hopefully we will have some form of golf back at the end of February. Playing by yourself or with your own household only should be allowed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

etxp wrote: »
    My exercise routine is gone to the dogs though so i need to get that sorted.

you need to get out and run after your drone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

100% agree. As someone who is married to a front liner in an acute hospital, there are far worse things happening to people and families right now, than someone missing a few games of golf in the depths of winter. I've heard some horrors stories with this wave

This should be the last of the total lockdowns, all going well with vaccination rollout and efficacy of vaccines for current virus mutations, and future ones too

Watching the boys and girls playing in Hawaii, California, Florida and Abu Dhabi over the past few weeks, gave me a little lump in my throat, but there are better days ahead for the golfing community. We'll never take golf for granted ever again. Keep the faith

ForeRight wrote: »

On an even more positive note, you cant even get them anymore! :D

you need to get out and run after your drone :D

Haha that would not be a pretty site!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Think Easter return would be the earliest but wouldn't be surprised if it was June.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Think Easter return would be the earliest but wouldn't be surprised if it was June.

To which year are you referring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I think we’ll be back on 5th March. Golf is allowed to be played under level 5 so I think we’ll open very quickly after schools and non-essential shopping.

If the numbers of new cases stay below 1000 this week then it looks positive over the next few weeks. If we can just get over 70’s vaccine that would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ForeRight wrote: »

And you probably never will be again. :D Unless your new average just happens to bump up your index by exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Good news for a change, looks like we’ll be back in business!

Leo on The Tonight Show with Matt Cooper saying they’ll look to go to Level 4 from March 5.

My question is will golfers be allowed to travel across county boundaries, if required, to play at their home club? This was allowed in December under level 3 restrictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I'd take everything from Leaky Leo with a grain of salt.

• Advertisement

I'd take everything from Leaky Leo with a grain of salt.

Unless he has leaked it!!

Advertisement