Today, 00:51   #3136
unkel
Category Moderator

You'll be proven wrong on the Milgauss though Wibbs

It's underrated, undervalued (still worth less than retail as one of the very few steel Rolex), yet generally considered a classic and most likely to be discontinued in the next few years and never made in huge quantities. One of the likeliest currently available Rolex watches to go up in value (don't take my word for it, several dealers have recently stated this)

And when in the last few decades have Rolex gone out of fashion? The mark is far more popular now and has better brand recognition (both with young people) than it ever was.

This is not a sales pitch for Fitz either. If I had the spare cash to have kept the Milgauss (as an investment and for occasional wear), I would have.
Advertisement
Today, 00:53   #3137
scwazrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
You seriously reckon a Milgauss will be worth less in 16 years than it is now? What do you base that on? Pure wishful thinking maybe?

I hope you'll still be around anyway. Not so sure if boards will survive that long though
As a man that drives an electric car and understands Crypto do you not get the irony of your statement claiming that watches will be always in demand ?
Today, 01:00   #3138
unkel
Category Moderator

I didn't claim that watches in general will always be in demand. Always is a very long time anyway But if you think about it, we never needed watches less than we do now, we all have phones that tell us the time better. Yet luxury watches were never this popular and never was so much money spent on them. The Rolex brand in particular is really strong in this market. Go show any 12 year old (boy or girl) a Rolex and ask what it is. 95% will recognise it immediately. Had you done so 10 years ago, this figure would have been lower, 20 years ago even lower, etc. These are the people that quite likely will buy a Rolex once they have the money in a few decades time. Even when by then people will barely realise what a rapper was or this ridiculous gang culture
Today, 01:10   #3139
dinorebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
As a man that drives an electric car and understands Crypto do you not get the irony of your statement claiming that watches will be always in demand ?
Not sure on this electric cars are a necessity crypto may or may not be the future of finance watches are an emotional choice(regardless of flipping which is a means to an end) otherwise we'd all be using our phones to check the time.
Today, 01:16   #3140
scwazrh

Agreed that we don’t need watches anymore .Eventually watches will be outdated in the same way a V8 will be in museum piece and cash will be as strange as a pound note to my 13 yr old .

Will it happen in 16yrs as mentioned? Who knows , but I didn’t think 16 yrs ago that I would be changing all my cash for crypto and waiting to trade my diesel pickup for an electric one.The idea of Rolex watches only going one way is not as sound as you might think.
Advertisement
Today, 06:47   #3141
893bet

In absolute terms the Milgauss will cost more in 16 years.

But...

The rate of increase of the last 5 years cannot be maintained for Rolex
The rate of inflation for the next 16 is unknown.
The cost of ownership for the next 16 years can’t be ignored. There is a reasonable chance of a 600 quid plus service at some point. Especially if you actually wear the watch.
The opportunity cost of 8k tied up for 16 years can’t be ignored. With the right investment that 16k could easily be 32k or 320k or 32cents.

One may say they are undervalued. Or are they over valued? Given that the mania of the last 5 years never really hit them (even OPs are more than retail for Christ sake) then it seems they are unloved by the general public. I wouldn’t place my house on them becoming anything more than a cult classic, and that’s a relatively small cult.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion