Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

@Sideboard....is it my phone or your text that's effed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

humberklog wrote: »
    @Sideboard....is it my phone or your text that's effed?

It’s not really readable , couldn’t make head or tail of it, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Looks like "boards" doesn't work on my phone...will later from pc.

Very interesting input from the lad Alan Barrett in today’s show.

Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water.

First thing he acknowledged is that in situations like this everyone thinks that “they are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more than the nurses.

Another point which was touched on was the issue of recession and State coffers in difficult fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse.

Do people in the PS really think that they should be immune from all the cold winds of recession whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?
    Do they really think that their pay and conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what?

If they do they need to wake up and wise up to the real world.

The programme was much more balanced than the crap that RTE have been putting out in other programmes where there was practically no balance.

About time.

Apologies, tried earlier to drop my responses into relevant parts to the "quoted" comments.

I have separated points so that Mr Bendar to which may wish to repond.

Could you expand on your view of the 'spin' you mention?
    Also, 'kind of', doesn't sound very strong. The nurses spin was either blew out of the water, or wasn't. Which way are you spinning it?

Nurses are the largest group in the healthcare sector. To me they are special, to the running of the service. Do you mean patients, medical or buildings are more special?

Over the past decade, they have carried their share of the burden...maybe you have figures to dispute this, so please produce them?

As I understand it, this dispute is about 'pay restoration'. Where do you interpret it as 'pay and conditions'?

An extra billion here or there on an hospital that isn't complete yet, does not seem to register with you as significant. Maybe real world events pass you by?

Whilst this is the first time I've noted you to credit this programme, I'm querying your consistency to tune into a station you appear to ' love to hate'

sideboard wrote: »
    Apologies, tried earlier to drop my responses into relevant parts to the "quoted" comments.

I have separated points so that Mr Bendar to which may wish to repond.

Could you expand on your view of the 'spin' you mention?
    Also, 'kind of', doesn't sound very strong. The nurses spin was either blew out of the water, or wasn't. Which way are you spinning it?
    Hmmm
    Nurses are the largest group in the healthcare sector. To me they are special, to the running of the service. Do you mean patients, medical or buildings are more special?

Over the past decade, they have carried their share of the burden...maybe you have figures to dispute this, so please produce them?

As I understand it, this dispute is about 'pay restoration'. Where do you interpret it as 'pay and conditions'?

An extra billion here or there on an hospital that isn't complete yet, does not seem to register with you as significant. Maybe real world events pass you by?

Whilst this is the first time I've noted you to credit this programme, I'm querying your consistency to tune into a station you appear to ' love to hate'

Hopefully you will have listened to the programme which I was referring to, and given that 90% of your posts are concerning Marian Finucane show since 2012 I probably can assume you have.
    Spin
    Mr Barrett suggests that the nurses main plank is that a pay settlement would solve the disputed ‘retention problem’

There is no proof whatsoever that this is the case he correctly says.
    They also never mention that they are not honoring an agreement which was signed and agreed to.

Special

He suggests that every group involved in PS disputes thinks they are “special” in relation to pay awards.Nothing to do with what you or I think.

Pay and conditions

Any observer who doesn’t think this dispute isn’t abou pay and conditions is being pedantic and disingenuous .

Very interesting input from the lad Alan Barrett in today’s show.

Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water.

First thing he acknowledged is that in situations like this everyone thinks that “they are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more than the nurses.

Another point which was touched on was the issue of recession and State coffers in difficult fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse.

Do people in the PS really think that they should be immune from all the cold winds of recession whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?
    Do they really think that their pay and conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what?

If they do they need to wake up and wise up to the real world.

The programme was much more balanced than the crap that RTE have been putting out in other programmes where there was practically no balance.

About time.

Thank you for your response, but curiously you have not addressed the points I made to your comments of Sunday. In case you misunderstood, I will be more expansive with my questions.

You said:- "Very interesting input from the lad Alan Barrett in today’s show. Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water".

What 'spin' have nurses used? I hear strike is for 'relativity pay to ensure adequate numbers of nurse retention. What is your understanding if they are using 'spin.

Also, tell me where you got 'Solidarity' from.? Not mentioned on programme and doesn't make any sense in your comment?

"First thing he acknowledged is that in situations like this everyone thinks that “they are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more than the nurses".

I didn't hear Mr Barrett acknowledge any such thing. He was recounting an anecdote in Dept Finance that all groups think they have a 'special-case' for their claim. Your account of 'they (nurses) are special' is wrong, if not deliberately misleading.

You also say "Another point which was touched on was the issue of recession and State coffers in difficult fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse".

Please tell me where you found this in relation to nurses pay in the program?

Also:- "Do people in the PS really think that they should be immune from all the cold winds of recession whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?
    Do they really think that their pay and conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what
    "?

Personal view? Otherwise makes no sense why you went on with this line.

Thank you for your input.

See post 106

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The people who got involved in this protest are idiots. Not because they called to his house, but because they have no given this guy a victim story that he can use to get sympathy from the public. He was in no danger but is going on like it's there was an army holding him hostage. First fifteen minutes now to soften up the audience before being asked some actual questions about the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Crowd of recent migrants currently on singing the praises of Labour and Fianna Fáil saying they can’t do enough for them.

Edit-some of them planning to run for election soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The people who got involved in this protest are idiots. Not because they called to his house, but because they have no given this guy a victim story that he can use to get sympathy from the public. He was in no danger but is going on like it's there was an army holding him hostage. First fifteen minutes now to soften up the audience before being asked some actual questions about the job.

What struck me was these "protestors" didn't even know if Simon Harris was in the house!!!!!!

Just imagine being a new mother with a 3-week old infant on her own & probably sleep deprived and a gang of yobbos arrives outside her house. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, apart from the fact that they clearly have zero political nuance. Their mammies & grannies must be mortified for them. :o

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just imagine being a new mother with a 3-week old infant on her own & probably sleep deprived and a gang of yobbos arrives outside her house.

You would have thought that somebody would have done a bit of background research really, and worked out that this might not play out the best for them in the PR game.

I think between the hospital and the protest at his house, the Minister can just use the "Can somebody please just think of the children" argument for every argument he is in this week.

You would have thought that somebody would have done a bit of background research really, and worked out that this might not play out the best for them in the PR game.

I think between the hospital and the protest at his house, the Minister can just use the "Can somebody please just think of the children" argument for every argument he is in this week.
    These lads were carrying at least one poster which referred to themselves as a "batallion". They came across as eejits, even if harmless eejits; and in the context of how Harris's job has been spared, maybe even 'useful idiots'.

I can't get the image of Brendan flaying about him with a hurley :cool:

Turned the show off when I heard Noel Whelan. Can stand his pompous, condescending nature.

Listening to Eoghan Corry I'm reminded of the line ...... "We'll all be ruined, said Hanrahan"

Would now be the time to consider resurrecting Irish Shipping?

My god her voice is an octave higher, but her support for Fianna Fail is still the same. Shameful that there is no challenge to this FF broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

She nearly passed out in a corner there with a cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Maid Marian having a Rodney Rice moment ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Keep wanting to pass Marian a box of tissues. She sounds like a child with a runny nose ... dreadful to listen to

• Advertisement

when I heard that he was in studio this morning, I was sort of hoping that David Quinn was going to get stuck in to Amnesty International. I see the story was on the RTE website on Friday night, was there earlier this morning and is now gone - just in time to miss the media next week. Story successfully buried by all.

Martin Manseragh has made a career out of being listened to purely because he has an upper class anglo- irish accent , he has very little of consequence to say after all the doddery fumbling , ummms and asss and maniacal guffaws.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

when I heard that he was in studio this morning, I was sort of hoping that David Quinn was going to get stuck in to Amnesty International. I see the story was on the RTE website on Friday night, was there earlier this morning and is now gone - just in time to miss the media next week. Story successfully buried by all.

Which story was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

humberklog wrote: »

Which story was that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1032309/

This story?

Amnesty management team offers to resign over 'toxic culture' of bullying

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0223/1032309-amnestys-toxic-culture-of-bullying-report/

"Triggering the review were the deaths of Gaetan Mootoo, a 30-year Amnesty veteran who took his own life in Paris in May 2018,leaving a note citing work pressures, and Rosalind McGregor, a 28-year-old intern in Geneva who died by suicide in July 2018."

This story?

Amnesty management team offers to resign over 'toxic culture' of bullying

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0223/1032309-amnestys-toxic-culture-of-bullying-report/

"Triggering the review were the deaths of Gaetan Mootoo, a 30-year Amnesty veteran who took his own life in Paris in May 2018,leaving a note citing work pressures, and Rosalind McGregor, a 28-year-old intern in Geneva who died by suicide in July 2018."

Yeah whats it to do with Quinn though?

• Advertisement

Oops69 wrote: »
    Martin Manseragh has made a career out of being listened to purely because he has an upper class anglo- irish accent , he has very little of consequence to say after all the doddery fumbling , ummms and asss and maniacal guffaws.
    Sorry but this is really unfair.

He contributed enormously to the NI peace process; he has better awareness of the intricacies of the process than almost anyone, and was a hugely useful person for reassuring Unionists that the Republic wasn't out to eradicate them (figuratively speaking).

He's also one of the nicest and most genuine people you could meet. I really think that's an unfair comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He contributed enormously to the NI peace process; he has better awareness of the intricacies of the process than almost anyone, and was a hugely useful person for reassuring Unionists that the Republic wasn't out to eradicate them (figuratively speaking).

He's also one of the nicest and most genuine people you could meet. I really think that's an unfair comment.

Yes, a decent man by all accounts.

I would safely bet he has more knowledge of Irish History than most of the vocal bar-stool republicans. He can't help if he has an annoying laugh! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yes, a decent man by all accounts.

Nothing decent about hysterically defending his party colleagues who brought the IMF to our door.

Never will be either.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nothing decent about hysterically defending his party colleagues who brought the IMF to our door.

Never will be either.
    well now, at least that's a criticism of substance and I agree with you.

Mansergh's defence of The Party has been highly problematic, and not at all in keeping with what can otherwise be described as his rigorous intellectual honesty. As another poster has mentioned, his writing on Irish History, and on republicanism in particular, is admirable.

His defence of FF policy from 2008—2011, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Harsh, I'd argue David norris has done the above but manseragh was a major contributor to several governments in terms of the peace process, his eccentric personality often over shadows his clear accomplishments

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Harsh, I'd argue David norris has done the above but manseragh was a major contributor to several governments in terms of the peace process, his eccentric personality often over shadows his clear accomplishments
    It's just occurred to me that David Norris is rarely, if ever, on political panel discussions. I've certainly never heard him on one, at least on radio.

For someone so bombastic and (even if you disagree with him) capable of wit, that's a bit odd, no?

If nothing else, Norris vs Marian of a Sunday morning would make for some great Callan's Kick material.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Both lads are lacking in basic cop on unfortunately. They seem to be likable enough on a personal level, but their attitudes towards the economic collapse and pedophilia (Norris) hasn't helped their credibility.
    No amount of OTT theatrics from them will ever change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

As one from his own background I regard him as a traitor and buffoon in equal measure - make of that what you will.
    Lucky we can't hear each other accents on Boards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So what we are saying here really is that MF could be anyone at all and the guests make the show?

The stand in last week was good. Brendan something. (I know).

The lung issues and coughing and hard smokey voice doesn't do it for me anymore. In fairness for someone approaching 70 she is doing ok, and will probably berate her doctors who might have a go at her for smoking all those years.

My word, Des bishop talks such scutter

It really annoys me when comedians try to make themselves popular by jumping on this "toxic masculinity" bandwagon, just to get the "well done to Des Bishop for calling out other men #metoo #I'mGoingToSeeDesBishop" tweets. Like that patronising w@nker Jarlath Reagan when he was on with D'arcy last year.

I wish somebody celebrity male had the b@lls to stand up and say "hold on a f**king minute here, I'm not taking the blame for the crimes of other men".

It really annoys me when comedians try to make themselves popular by jumping on this "toxic masculinity" bandwagon, just to get the "well done to Des Bishop for calling out other men #metoo #I'mGoingToSeeDesBishop" tweets. Like that patronising w@nker Jarlath Reagan when he was on with D'arcy last year.

I wish somebody celebrity male had the b@lls to stand up and say "hold on a f**king minute here, I'm not taking the blame for the crimes of other men".

Very true. And we all know the only reason they are jumping on the bandwagon is to “market” themselves and hopefully get more publicity and work

absolutely agree , these media whore comedians /cooks etc . etc .love jumping on the bandwagon of the latest cause because their own work is obviously of questionable quality so their insecurity compels them to seek validation in whatever way the media can offer other than trough their own performances / skills .

Just as I was listening back to the podcast and reading your comment, I heard the bit where Des Bishop was saying that a lot of men feel targeted. He didn't say all men were to blame, because that would be ridiculous.

Nobody is blaming all men. In fact #NotAllMen has been quoted so many times on Twitter that it has become a parody of itself. Everyone knows its not all men. That's beyond dispute.

But we do need to call it out when we see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

By the time we are finished, no one can have any opinion at all for fear of, well you all know now.

Comment is dead now. We can all see through it. There is always an agenda.

looks like the scouts have some supporters in RTE ... apparently a political correspondent is a very active member .
    If Catherrine Zappone was'nt a figurehead of the liberaL Agenda the RTE knives would be well and truly sharpened for her .

The only way to maintain any sort of career in the public eye these days is to genuflect to the virtue signalling mob.

Sad times no doubt.

Roddy Doyle zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Guy on about work attire is painful-mentions his company repeatedly

This lad seems to be completely obsessed with fashion and not whatever his profession actually is.

They do fashion shows in his work place?

This lad seems to be completely obsessed with fashion and not whatever his profession actually is.

They do fashion shows in his work place?

Was thinking the same thing ... way too obsessed with fasion for a law firm. :eek:
    As with Marian's comment re bankers I much rather the banker or solicitor kept their mind on the job and forget the posing.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Was thinking the same thing ... way too obsessed with fasion for a law firm. :eek:
    As with Marian's comment re bankers I much rather the banker or solicitor kept their mind on the job and forget the posing.

I didn’t catch his actual profession.

Fair enough if he is into fashion as an interest but he seems to have taken to another level. Fashion shows in the office etc

Jesus that law guy is a terrible lick ... a whole new level of smarmy. I'm off for a walk couldn't listen to any more of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Jaysus,Marion sounds like she had a late one last night.

Cough,wheeze,splitter,nasal drawl.

Couple of 100k a year for that standard ??
    She sounds like Eamonn Dunphy in drag.

40 major and a bottle of JD for lunch Maz ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement